• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Here is her picture - took a few google searches.

1179713.jpg
Jasvinder Sanghera.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Narayanjot ji,

Thank you for posting this!

Yes, we can be very proud that
Jasvinder Sanghera ji is one of us and of this tremendous work she is doing.

I wish there some way we could throw the whole concept of "izzat" into the depths of the sea. No, wait, that would pollute the sea. Let's shoot it into the sun where it could be harmlessly destroyed.

This reminds me of something my Dad used to say, "Integrity above honour."

"Izzat" (honour) is primarily social and varies from culture to culture and from time to time. So honour is relative and has nothing to do with ultimate morality. It does a lot of damage, especially to those who do not or cannot accept the mores of the culture in which they live.

Integrity is personal. It tells me within myself what is right and what is wrong. It is unchanging wherever and whenever I may be. To have integrity is to be true to my own inner self. To live with integrity is truthful living.

This lady personifies integrity. We can all learn from her.

Chardi kala!

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Guru Nanak was a feminist. If, we men can not understand that, then we are incapable of understanding and then following His message. Hence, we can not call ourselves Sikhs but the ones with the Taliban mentality immersed in Me-ism, no matter how " handsome" we seem to look to ourselves in the mirror with our baana from the outside but the truth of the matter is that we are rolling ourselves in our self created muck from the inside.

Time for the true metamorphosis, the visit to the Mecca within, to become a true pilgrim of IK Ong Kaar by following Guru Nanak's message and becoming a feminist like him.

This is the only real pilgrimage for us because we all come from a woman and this fact can not be denied no matter how we have become cretins, as men.

Tejwant Singh

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sikh women are no better than other women in the world. We expect the equality because we think that our counterparts also know what Guru Ji says... Unfortunately they only know this-- they dont actually follow His Words..

Simpy Ji,

You are partially correct - from your left brain's processed information. This is my belief - that we have two separate sections of the brain (usually called the left brain and the right brain). While the left brain processes information of I AM which is I am separate from you, my view points are different from yours, women are different from men in understanding a worded message, etc., etc., the right brain on the other hand processes information as in Universal Consciousness. Guru Ji used both left and right brain in processing information beneficial to the reader.

E.g., he refers to us a soul brides (regardless of the differences between individuals) who have only one goal in mind.

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ
कवणु सु अखरु कवणु गुणु कवणु सु मणीआ मंतु ॥
Kavaṇ so akẖar kavaṇ guṇ kavaṇ so maṇī▫ā manṯ.
What is that word, what is that virtue, and what is that magic mantra?

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਸੋ ਹਉ ਕਰੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੈ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੬॥
कवणु सु वेसो हउ करी जितु वसि आवै कंतु ॥१२६॥
Kavaṇ so veso ha▫o karī jiṯ vas āvai kanṯ. ||126||
What are those clothes, which I can wear to captivate my Husband Lord? ||126||

ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਖਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ
निवणु सु अखरु खवणु गुणु जिहबा मणीआ मंतु ॥
Nivaṇ so akẖar kẖavaṇ guṇ jihbā maṇī▫ā manṯ.
Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and sweet speech is the magic mantra.

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੀ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੭॥
ए त्रै भैणे वेस करि तां वसि आवी कंतु ॥१२७॥
Ė ṯarai bẖaiṇe ves kar ṯāʼn vas āvī kanṯ. ||127||
Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Husband Lord. ||127||

See the last line - Wear these 3 robes, O Sister.

Sister is not just for women but for Men too. Because there is only one Male - God.

Dhan Guru Nanak, Dhan Guru Nanak.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

The shabad can and does deliver us from our haumei. If the shabad were always in consciousness there would be no forced marriages, no child brides, no dowry killings, no little brothers being told to bludgeon their sisters to death because as minors they will receive lesser sentences in a court of law if caught, no young women being locked in the house before a wedding to a man they have never met, no men being forced into marriage, no selective abortion of girl fetuses, no purchasing of brides from Bengal because there are not enough women to go around in Punjab, no brothers pooling their money to buy one woman as the "bride" to one and making her the sexual partner of all of the others, no browbeating of women for not having sons, no NRI's keeping a wife in India and one in another country, no NRI's collecting dowries and impregnating a girl and then abandoning her. And all of this madness can be found on every continent.

NamJap ji - you are right. The world is out of touch with Universal Consciousness. The world is not walking in Dharma. If all of us understood we were the brides of Waheguru, and that we do not please Him when we are adorned in all the trappings and egotism of Maya, none of these injustices would happen.

But grave injustices are happening! And Brave Kaurs like Jasvinder Sanghera, herself a victim of the delusional thinking that Guru Nanak asked us to forsake, is living in the Shabad Guru with her own understanding of truthful living.

You know that Dharma is represented by a wheel. When the spokes of a wheel are broken then the carriage runs off the road into a ditch. That is where we are too often, in a ditch. Then along come people like Puran Singh (a man), or like Jasvinder ji (a woman), and they try to repair the wheel, to envision a world where all the broken hearts, bodies and spirits can be healed in some small way. They are trying to live the Shabad Guru, because simran is also in seva. This is a thread to honor Brave Kaurs who are using their brains to mend the wheel--right side or left side I don't know which side they are using. I am just glad they are using their brains.

Forgive me and my left brain - I am not their equal.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Narayanjot Kaur Ji,

Thank you for changing the direction of a possible collision course between my views and the views of some senior members.
In the end of our education here on Earth, I have to engrave my Guru's teachings in my heart and mind.

ਧਨੁ ਦਾਰਾ ਸੰਪਤਿ ਸਗਲ ਜਿਨਿ ਅਪੁਨੀ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨਿ
धनु दारा स्मपति सगल जिनि अपुनी करि मानि ॥
Ḏẖan ḏārā sampaṯ sagal jin apunī kar mān.
Your wealth, spouse, and all the possessions which you claim as your own -

ਇਨ ਮੈ ਕਛੁ ਸੰਗੀ ਨਹੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਚੀ ਜਾਨਿ ॥੫॥
इन मै कछु संगी नही नानक साची जानि ॥५॥
In mai kacẖẖ sangī nahī Nānak sācẖī jān. ||5||
none of these shall go along with you in the end. O Nanak, know this as true. ||5||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

I live to protect my sisters and my brothers from collisions. Most of the time I am not successful. :8-:)

Your choice of shabad is a good one. It reminds us of the time of death. If your last breath is drawn in recollection of living a spiritual life that is good. The spiritual life however takes many forms. The Guru's teachings also take many forms. You know that....

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
That is an interesting topic in itself, the spiritual life. I think it means something slightly different to each individual Sikh.

A favourite quote from Dag Hammarskjold which is certainly Sikh in spirit.

"The road to holiness passes through the world of action."

This thread is mostly celebrating Kaurs whose lives have been passing through the world of action in a dramatic way.

As far back as the days of the Gurus, Sikh women - a few Sikh women - have been sant-sipahis of action. From Mai Bhago to Jasvinder Saghera, our Singhnis have been women we can take pride in.

I can hardly wait to see what the next generation accomplishes! :happy:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
It seems to me that I need to change rather than try to change the world
because peace is obtained from within me.
This tuk made alot of sense to me.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
ੴ सतिगुर प्रसादि ॥
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਇਫਤਰਾ ਭਾਈ ਦਿਲ ਕਾ ਫਿਕਰੁ ਜਾਇ
बेद कतेब इफतरा भाई दिल का फिकरु न जाइ ॥
Beḏ kaṯeb ifṯarā bẖā▫ī ḏil kā fikar na jā▫e.
The Vedas and the Scriptures are only make-believe, O Siblings of Destiny; they do not relieve the anxiety of the heart.

ਟੁਕੁ ਦਮੁ ਕਰਾਰੀ ਜਉ ਕਰਹੁ ਹਾਜਿਰ ਹਜੂਰਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥੧॥
टुकु दमु करारी जउ करहु हाजिर हजूरि खुदाइ ॥१॥
Tuk ḏam karārī ja▫o karahu hājir hajūr kẖuḏā▫e. ||1||
If you will only center yourself on the Lord, even for just a breath, then you shall see the Lord face-to-face, present before you. ||1||

ਬੰਦੇ ਖੋਜੁ ਦਿਲ ਹਰ ਰੋਜ ਨਾ ਫਿਰੁ ਪਰੇਸਾਨੀ ਮਾਹਿ
बंदे खोजु दिल हर रोज ना फिरु परेसानी माहि ॥
Banḏe kẖoj ḏil har roj nā fir paresānī māhi.
O human being, search your own heart every day, and do not wander around in confusion.

ਇਹ ਜੁ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਸਿਹਰੁ ਮੇਲਾ ਦਸਤਗੀਰੀ ਨਾਹਿ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
इह जु दुनीआ सिहरु मेला दसतगीरी नाहि ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ih jo ḏunī▫ā sihar melā ḏasaṯgīrī nāhi. ||1|| rahā▫o.
This world is just a magic-show; no one will be holding your hand. ||1||Pause||
Ang 727

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I remember once when the discussion on this thread was interrupted by a discourse on cricket. Seemed Kaurs were taking themselves too seriously. And 2 or 3 Singhs wanted to lighten things up. My feeling at the time was that Kaurs were not taking themselves seriously enough. We did get back to the topic though. Sings cannot pull on the braids of their sisters indefinitely. Soon they give up. And how could they survive without us. ;)

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I remember once when the discussion on this thread was interrupted by a discourse on cricket. Seemed Kaurs were taking themselves too seriously. And 2 or 3 Singhs wanted to lighten things up. My feeling at the time was that Kaurs were not taking themselves seriously enough. We did get back to the topic though. Sings cannot pull on the braids of their sisters indefinitely. Soon they give up. And how could they survive without us. ;)

The last dude who pulled my braids ended up with a broken arm. :u): (He wasn't a Singh, though.)

My dear brothers, we Singhnis tend to be soft, gentle, loving and kind - and we have backbones of solid steel. And we are growing.

The last verse of "I Am Woman"
I am woman watch me grow
See me standing toe to toe
As I spread my lovin' arms across the land
But I'm still an embryo
With a long long way to go
Until I make my brother understand

Oh yes I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to I can do anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
We did get back to the topic though. Singhs cannot pull on the braids of their sisters indefinitely.
Soon they give up. And how could they survive without us.
wink.gif
So true, what will we do without our Sisters ?
They go through so much of physical changes and pain, whether physically and emotionally that
the Singhs don't even have an iota of an idea what's happening.
This could grossly be due to the lack of passing on the message.

Since males and females are different from the left brain functions then we have to deal with and correct the flaw of how to ask.
This has been extensively dealt with by Dr. John Gray on Youtube - Why Mars and Venus Collide.
YouTube - John Gray (PART 1) "Why Mars & Venus Collide"

You will change the world whether you want to or not. We all change the world just by being here.
The question is in what way will any of us will change the world and how much.
Page 1164, Line 9
ਹਸਤ ਖੇਲਤ ਤੇਰੇ ਦੇਹੁਰੇ ਆਇਆ ॥
हसत खेलत तेरे देहुरे आइआ ॥
Hasaṯ kẖelaṯ ṯere ḏehure ā▫i▫ā.
Laughing and playing, I came to Your Temple, O Lord.
Devotee Namdev - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
It seems to me that I need to change rather than try to change the world

Totally agree here namjap ji...any change start at individual level...........Society doesn't change by itself as it is an accumulation of individuals.........

The thread is about women, their status in society, how they are treated and what is being done at individual or commulitive manner to improve their status, what else can we do to change existing problems------------at least this what i understood from majority of the comments here...........

so here we go.....in my humble opinion.... change is needed in both boys and girls... boys need to learn to accept girls as their equal... and girls need to learn they are equal and need to know how to get and hold that equal spot .. at home front, in family setup, at work place and in society in general....

Peace is going to come from within for everybody.............let us get ready to enjoy it at a commulative manner as well..as not everybody in this world is at the state of Sehaj namjap ji........

If all men and women are at peace(from within), women would have never got treated inferior at all....................period..no body would have any need to post the starting comment................

everywhere in the world women are treated badly.. I have been talking to people from different backgrounds and nationalities about this issue and everybody been telling me shocking stories.....everytime .... Once you know the truth, you just cannot remain silent.... In every heart there is an urge to protect the innocent...........History tells us that just our own fight for freedom is not enough.........we do need men participating equally......Seems like you dont like the idea....... sorry i dont know from which side of the brain this understanding came from.......... wow namjap ji.... you made my day..........

PHP:
You are partially correct - from your left brain's processed information. This is my belief - that we have two separate sections of the brain (usually called the left brain and the right brain). While the left brain processes information of I AM which is I am separate from you, my view points are different from yours, women are different from men in understanding a worded message, etc., etc., the right brain on the other hand processes information as in Universal Consciousness. Guru Ji used both left and right brain in processing information beneficial to the reader.

E.g., he refers to us a soul brides (regardless of the differences between individuals) who have only one goal in mind
I think we are not disscussing what side of the brain Simpy uses........
We are disscussing how women are treated in society...........and how they treat themselves............And what can be done to improve that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think for disscussing use of left and right brain we need a seperate thread :) .. i can disscuss that as well, here, let us not destroy this thread......

Anyways coming back to my point---- if I am partially incorrect(as you say), please elaborate----why women are not allowed to do Kirtan and Palki Seva in Sri Darbar Sahib ji------------where Kirtan is sung from the bani of that same Guru who---as per your statement--used(btw- pardon me -i say 'uses') both sides of His Brain.........Please.... I want to know what you say from The Left and The Right Side of Your Brain... then as per your judgement i will use whatever side of my brain to understand your worded message..................It is a fact namjap ji, and for many many Sikh women a big issue.................let us see, what are your thoughts about this--do you say 'it is ok' or 'it should be changed' or 'you suggest something else' ... after reading your comment about the use of brain knowlegde of yours, i really want to know your take on this.....!!!!!!!!!!:) You are a Sikh, I guess, I hope you have all the facts about this issue, if not let me know i will provide..........using my brain where they are stored................. :)

Seriously namjap ji, you have brought a big smile on my face...........thanks to you..please dont forget to answer my query.....

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
please elaborate----why women are not allowed to do Kirtan and Palki Seva in Sri Darbar Sahib ji------------where Kirtan is sung from the bani of that same Guru

I am against discrimination against women.
In my opinion women should be allowed to sing in Sri Harmandir Sahib.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Namjap Ji, you are so right...........I thought of this and other discriminations and made the comment.......and if you read my posts i have said that there are men (yes a very small percentage) who dont participate in this kind of discrimination........

But the number of those men is way too small to make a change----------as we all know that from many centuries one or the other type of discrimination is going on -- despite of all the efforts-nothing changed so far on a commulative level..............

A long way to go..........need to change the mentality all together

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Simpy Ji,

I can understand that you want to talk about these things.
So I will be a listener.
But how am I going to know if that's what is needed
from your side - to be heard by a good listener !!!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
If all men and women are at peace(from within), women would have never got treated inferior at all....................period..no body would have any need to post the starting comment................

NamJap ji

Whenever I am most perplexed the answer comes from Guruji. One of our Gurus put on two swords. Both swords were two sides of the same consciousness. We are coming up on Bandi Chhorr Divas. Let's think about it. Here is a Guru who never wrote one word of Gurbani. What was he thinking? What did this mean to him? The words of his father Guru Arjan Dev?

ਸਾਕਤ ਜਾਇ ਨਿਵਹਿ ਗੁਰ ਆਗੈ ਮਨਿ ਖੋਟੇ ਕੂੜਿ ਕੂੜਿਆਰੇ ॥
saakath jaae nivehi gur aagai man khottae koorr koorriaarae ||
The faithless cynics go and bow before the Guru, but their minds are corrupt and false, totally false.

ਜਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਹੈ ਉਠਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ਬਹਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਘੁਸਰਿ ਬਗੁਲਾਰੇ ॥
jaa gur kehai outhahu maerae bhaaee behi jaahi ghusar bagulaarae ||
When the Guru says, ""Rise up, my Siblings of Destiny"", they sit down, crowded in like cranes.

ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਵਰਤੈ ਚੁਣਿ ਕਢੇ ਲਧੋਵਾਰੇ ॥
gurasikhaa andhar sathigur varathai chun kadtae ladhhovaarae ||
The True Guru prevails among His GurSikhs; they pick out and expel the wanderers.

Maybe in his time it was not the time to stare into the water. ਠਗ ਦਿਸਟਿ ਬਗਾ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ thag dhisatt bagaa liv laagaa || You look like a thug; pretending to meditate, you pose like a crane.

Please forgive me.

simpy

SPNer
Mar 28, 2006
Simpy Ji,

I can understand that you want to talk about these things.
So I will be a listener.
But how am I going to know if that's what is needed
from your side - to be heard by a good listener !!!

namjap ji,

first of all--i do or dont want to but i have to--- as a human who has recognized the problem in the society at the world level----------------------

i am not trying to prove something.....it is a fact and is existing fact, going on for a long time.........just reminding people over and over........so that more and more come upfront and do the needful..

Just a listener -- not enough (in my humble opinion)

Your Counterparts are being degraded................ ji ................

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Simpy Ji and Kaur Jios,

Kindly make a list of 3 things which require immediate attention so that we can initiate a world-class Internet dialogue on pressing issues. We at SPN have the teamwork to address these things to other Sikh Forums as well.

Our dynamic duo - Administrators are one of the most resourceful individuals on the net.
I will be glad to bring those issues and take them to the next step.

But first, the Kaurs from all over the world must discuss which are the priority issues. Please invite Kaurs from other sites to join SPN.

Humbly at your service,

~ namjap ~

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: