• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Kacheras

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Ishna ji,
Kachheras for women are made much smaller. like I have said you can find ones that leave 1/2 to 2/3 of the thigh uncovered, similar to boxer shorts. Wear those ones.

Are they not available in a nearby Gurudwara?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Well I have been waiting a day for someone to drop this line and no one has. So I will.

You know an Internet forum thread has reached classic form when we get our "knickers in a knot."

Ishna ji is asking some practical questions, and I wish I knew the answer. Who wants his/her kechera all bunched up? The distraction of it seems to defeat the purpose of kechera from the beginning. Here are some things from the thread so far that puzzle me, and I hope Ishna gets answers to the questions she asked.

1. Going commando does not match well with the vows taken at amrit sanchar.

2. Who knows what women wore under their outer wear in the Gurus' times, just by looking at photographs?

3. The only Sikhs that I know of who do not wear kechera under other pants/trousers/salwar are Nihangs. For all others, kechera are underwear. But then I don't know it all.

4. First written mention of kechera was probably in Bhai Nand Lal's rehit, and most likely mentioned in other sources, which I cannot cite off the top of my head.

5. Today, the Sikh Rehat Maryada requires kechera of both men and women. So these are part of the 5 kakkars, though I would avoid the term "uniform." The kakkars are articles of faith. "Uniform" does seem to stress a "look" rather than a state of heart and soul.

6. All Ishna wants to know is how to make/construct kechera that are compatible with modern dress. She is not conflicted about whether a Khalsa wears them, or does not.

Tradition tells us that the kechera were designed as an improvement over dhoti by Guru Gobind Singh, and were worn by his fighting force before the first Baisakhi. Why would a Sikh warrior want to be caught with his dhoti down? This again cannot be proved, but the common sense of it persuades me.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
What is the problem here? Kacheray are comfortable, modest and mandated as one of the 5 kakkars.

Most of mine are made by my beloved mother-in-law, stitch by stitch, hand sewn in lovely pastel shades. I have used them as the bottoms of a swim suit as well as shorts in the summertime, although usually in my own yard.

They are cut in such a way that no matter how you twist and squirm, your business remains covered, thus allowing you to fight whatever battles may occur without loss of modesty. I have looked and looked online for a proper pattern and have been unable to find one. I admit that I do not know exactly how to cut them and would really appreciate someone somewhere posting explicit directions.

One more comment on kachera can be found in a recent post in The Road To Khalistan, Sewa. :tablakudi:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Bhagat ji, I've never asked about them at the Gurdwara I go to. I asked about getting keski fabric and they looked at me funny so I don't know how I'd ask about kachera! I'm sure if I brought it up with Gyani ji he'd understand though. What a strange thing to talk about to a man though! *starts blushing already *

SPNadmin ji: thanks for summarising the thread!

Kanwaljit ji: there is a reference somewhere (I can dig it up if you like) about Mai Bhago, where she is honoured with the male clothing to be one of Guru Gobind Singh's group. I can find peace with the issue if I am reasonable with myself and consider that a standard method of dress was required and the one chosen is the most practical. Now whether or not it is male or female style is beside the point. Females can jazz up the look with a chunni.

Mai ji: thanks for the personal info. :happykudi: I love it, it gives discussion a reality check and brings the lifestyle into the real world. Checking your link out now.

Maybe I'll buy some 'shapewear' for the thighs and call them my kachera. teehee

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Mai Bhago, where she is honoured with the male clothing to be one of Guru Gobind Singh's group

Really? But it still doesn't make male one different from female attire. The basic idea is of wide pyajama like wear which comes down to knees using a triangle cut and has string long enough that it can be tied all way around after knotting up.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I have also heard that Mai Bhago story. Be careful, though, the 3HOs have come up with a whole legend about Mai Bhago that has no basis in any facts I have ever heard. Something about her going mad and running off to the forest...I'll try to find a link, if you're interested.

I found the link. It is Mai Bhago and the Forty Liberated Ones.

There is no magic in kachera - aside from perhaps the magic of an undergarment that doesn't bind or pinch or ride up.

Last edited:

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Interesting thread....
:singhsippingcoffee:

My Dad wears them so I have a general idea of what they look like but am unable to comment on the specifics of their construction!

I will comment on purpose though..forgive me if I am stating the obvious...but I always assumed it was to do with purity and chastity, the most important feature being the well-tied and knotted "nalla"

The concept being it requires specific effort, forethought and intent before you undo the knot................

:}8-:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
The concept being it requires specific effort, forethought and intent before you undo the knot................

Provided you are not taking water pills. Just kidding.:blueturban:

On a serious note, Kachera is one of the best well thought and quite intricate designs and it serves the purpose it has been made for.

My Brazilian brother, David Gomes Dias came from Brazil to attend my Anand Karaj in 1989 which was held in Los Angeles. He took with him all the 5 Kakaars which had 2 Kacheras. He loved the design, and was awestruck the way they were stitched and put together. He tried to get them made in Brazil. He found a genius seamstress who took one of the kacheras apart and sewed him some. He wears them at home in the place of shorts.

Tejwant Singh
TIwmC0N3d097W0drSRjGlhN1tkGAaCoWTCa+5OR6NuvVAVcmy3NnRmYgnCaYhO7xix+J2yG6ihKVS6a7OrnUbt2UFAoHh4lB1fdVXdYwN4iVbstmBhigram1r6+3t1TRt5R4Mw2SMlcvlSCSyMRZCCGPsE326plPCsElkv0wI4ZzXnPw32HEwqi1uErkAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM