• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Re: Sikh Journalist Hurls Shoe at India’s Home Minister Chidambaram (Bloomberg)

What about VARUN ?? He is vomitting hate and venom against SIKHS....so much so that lallu the Railway Minister wanted to crush him under a Road Roller and damn the consequences ??..BUT SIKHS are all quiet about him ?? Double Standards ??why ??:down:

Varun Gandhi's speeches came in the form Of Cds and they yet to be authenticated by
forensic laboratory.We all know about the technology available today.There is no way we can compare Varun with Tytler,sajjan who are known killers of sikhs.ACtions speak louder than words

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London

Is this it? Is this the final sign (if ever it was needed) that India does not deliver justice?

Nearly 25 years and this is what we get?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Is this it? Is this the final sign (if ever it was needed) that India does not deliver justice?

Nearly 25 years and this is what we get?

Justice is very hard to obtain in India and in such type of crime's nearly impossible.Law has many loopholes and the worst thing is that Delhi sikh Gurdwara committe itself is a soldout
to congress

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Re: Journalist throws shoe at Indian offical

source: Shoe-attack: What the other parties say - The Financial Express#

Shoe-attack: What the other parties say

Express news service - Financial Express
Posted online: Apr 08, 2009 at 1106 hrs

New DelhiCommunist Party of India (Marxist)

The CPI(M), which could not hide its glee when George W Bush was attacked with a shoe, on Tuesday fumbled for a response when it came to reacting to its Indian variant. At best, the party could say that the journalist’s mode of protest was “inappropriate”.

“In a democracy, people have the freedom to express their protest. This may be one way of expressing it. Now let the law take its own course,” CPI(M) Politburo member Sitaram Yechury said reacting to the Chidambaram shoe-throwing incident. When prodded further, he admitted that the mode of protest was “inappropriate”. “We feel it is not the way to be done. You tell me now. He is from your fraternity,” he shot back.

Yechury’s response to an Iraqi journalist throwing a shoe at former President Bush is a study in contrasts. “It should have happened earlier. It shows the level of anger and anguish people all over the world have against the US president, which our Prime Minister does not understand,” he had said then.

On the issue of the CBI giving a clean chit to Jagdish Tytler, Yechury said “as we have been saying all along, the CBI is used by the party in power for various agendas.”

CPM’s Prakash Karat said,”There is anger among the Sikh community... Obviously there is some anger against Congress for giving the ticket to a leader alleged to have been involved in the anti-Sikh riots.”

Bharatiya Janata Party

BJP spokesperson Balbir Punj: “We condemn this uncivilised act, but we also feel that this should act as an eye-opener for Congress. For, it shows the deep-rooted hurt over the gross injustice meted out to the Sikhs, even after 25 years of the riots, which killed more than 4,000 people.” “Both Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler should be withdrawn from the elections,” said another BJP spokesperson Sidharth Nath Singh.

Samajwadi Party

Amar Singh: “The wounds of the anti-Sikh riots are yet to heal”, Singh remarked and without naming the Tytler case cast doubts on the CBI’s neutrality. “I don’t believe that the CBI is neutral. When we were not in government it was used against us,” he said.

Janata Dal (United)

JD(U) general secretary Javed Raza termed the incident “unfortunate,” but said it underlined the deep sense of hurt in the Sikh community over the manner in which the 1984 riot cases had been handled by the UPA regime. He said the clean chit given to Congress leaders Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler ahead of the elections had obviously led to the attack, which should serve as an eye-opener for the ruling party.

Nationalist Congress Party

NCP general secretary Akhtar Hasan Rizvi defended the Congress and gave a clean chit to the party over fielding Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar. “The anti-Sikh riots issue is being used with political motives by those opposed to the Congress. If the CBI did not find any evidence against Tytler then what is wrong in fielding him? If both Tytler and Sajjan Kumar contested and won the elections in 2004 then why is such a hue and cry being raised now?”

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Samajwadi Party

Amar Singh: “The wounds of the anti-Sikh riots are yet to heal”, Singh remarked and without naming the Tytler case cast doubts on the CBI’s neutrality. “I don’t believe that the CBI is neutral. When we were not in government it was used against us,” he said.

What about the widow's colony? What about the movie where voiced protest of widows was dubbed out? What about months of {censored}-footing around in the Tytler hearings? What about the witnesses that caved?

My point is how long do you wait for justice. Justice delayed is justice denied. When the matter is treated as if it is necessary to apply justice in the abstract of course someone is going to throw something. That is really a restrained reaction.

Yes throwing shoes is kind of ineffective -- but Congress could at least try to sound as if there is empathy for thousands of people for whom justice feels frustrated. Just my 2 cents! I don't even life in India.

Jan 6, 2005

Calling Me Akali Member is Laughable: Jarnail Singh

New Delhi - April 8, 2009

Jarnail Singh, the journalist who lobbed a shoe at Home Minister P Chidambaram, has said that it was 'laughable' that politicians were linking him with Akali Dal, instead of addressing the issue of justice to the victims of the mindless anti-Sikh violence of 1984.

The journalist had come into focus after he hurled a shoe at Chidambaram during a press conference yesterday, to protest against the CBI's clean chit to senior Congress leader Jagdish Tytler, an accused in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case. Earlier in the day, Tytler had called Jarnail Singh an Akali Dal member.

"Some politician have called me an Akali Dal activist. It is only laughable. I have no affiliation or membership of any political party. I am a neutral journalist and am proud of my neutrality," said Jarnail Singh.

"Politicians are making senseless allegations against me and my political affiliation. I have made it clear that I am not against any political party, including the Congress.

"Politicians should concentrate on the issue of justice to the Sikh community instead of trying to politicise my protest," Singh said.

Referring to the Nanavati Commission that indicted Tytler and other Congress leaders for the anti-Sikh riots, Jarnail Singh said that the Sikh community was ready to accept the apology of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, AICC president Sonia Gandhi and her son Rahul Gandhi after the commission had submitted its report.

"But this clean chit and the Lok Sabha nomination is only reminding the Sikh community of the atrocity perpetrated on it in 1984 and even after waiting patiently for the last two-and-a-half-decade. Justice has not been done," he said.

Stating that the Sikh community was ready to forget the riots, provided justice was delivered for the victims. "There is not even symbolism to show that justice is being done to the victims," he said.

On the cash awards and jobs being offered to him after yesterday's shoe-pelting incident, the journalist said the political parties were only trying to cash in on the episode by politicising it.

"Instead, they should offer help to the poor victims by hiring good lawyers for them and providing jobs to their families. I humbly refuse to accept these cash awards," he said.

Regarding Sikh groups planning protests holding shoes, Jarnail Singh appealed to them not to indulge in such acts, but to hold their protests peacefully.

Thanking Chidambaram for showing understanding to his emotional outburst, the journalist said that he did not intend to hurt anybody and that was why he just lobbed his shoe to the vacant spot beside the Minister.

"I did not throw the shoe. I only lobbed it, that too away from Chidambaram. As a journalist, I regret the way I protested. But I reiterate that the issue I raised was just," he said.

Stating that he was pained that politicians were trying to take advantage of his protest, Jarnail Singh said that he was against violence and appealed to the government to bring in a legislation against communal violence on the lines of the anti-terror law.

Noting that the Sikh community had come a long way since the 1984 riots, Jarnail Singh said that it would not be sensible for the government if the scar of injustice meted out to the victims continued to remain in the community's heart.

"The government should understand that injustice done even 5,000 years ago can still cause hurt and wound in the hearts of the people living today. The issues are emotional in nature and the government should consider delivering justice to heal those wounds," he added.

news.outlookindia.com | Calling Me Akali Member is Laughable: Jarnail Singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN

Journo wanted to provoke, not to hurt me: Chidambaram

Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who was the target of a Sikh journalist's ire on Tuesday on the issue of CBI clean chit to Jagdish Tytler in anti-Sikh riots cases, said on Wednesday that he thought the scribe intended to provoke him and not hurt him.

He said it was for the party to decide whether it should give ticket to Tytler and he cannot comment because he "is neither the minister-in-charge nor the judge."

"I cannot pronounce anybody guilty or innocent," he said when asked by a TV channel whether it was proper for the party to give tickets to people like Tytler against whom questions have been raised.

"No, not at all. I don't think he intended to hurt me. He intended to provoke me. Why should I be provoked," he said in reply to a question whether he was scared by Tuesday's incident.
He also said that he did not expect the journalist to apologise to him personally as he has apologised and his employer called up to apologise. "I don't expect any further apology."

Asked if he felt that the journalist's action would rapture relations between media and politicians, the minister said "why, no, not at all. I think it was an emotional outburst by one journalist and I think we should allow it to rest."

To another question if this incident merited enhanced security for him, Chidambaram shot back saying "one PSO is one too many." Asked if he was sure, he said "hundred per cent sure."

Feb 23, 2008

source: The Pioneer > Online Edition : >> Sikhs seek justice Jairnal Singh gets job offer from SGPC

Sikhs seek justice, Jairnal Singh gets job offer from SGPC

Rajeev Ranjan Roy - The Daily Pioneer -Chandigarh - April 8, 2009

The Sikh community’s pent up anger over the denial of justice in 1984 riots came out again in the open on Tuesday, following Jarnail Singh’s throwing shoe at Home Minister P. Chidambaram. Sikh Gurudwara Prabandh Committee (SGPC), the community's highest decision making body, went on to offer a respectable job to Singh.

Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said the act should serve as “an eye opener for the Centre, especially for the Congress, about the depth and magnitude of pain and angst over clean chits given to those guilty of the unspeakable horror of 1984 massacre of thousands of innocent Sikhs.”

The common refrain from the masses from across Punjab was--“His act might have upset others, but one should understand the trauma Sikh community has suffered for 25 years.” They even warned Congress chief Sonia Gandhi against batting for two Lok Sabha seats (Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar) at the cost of 23 seats in north India.

“We would extend all kind of help including financial, security, job and protection to Jarnail and his family,” said SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar, adding there was outrage among Sikhs for giving clean chit to Jagdish Tytler.

“Jarnail took the extreme step under the sheer influence of his emotions, and was not intended to harm P. Chidambaram. His act showed resentment of Sikh community for denying justice even after 25 years of pogrom,” Makkar told The Pioneer.

Said Jathedar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh: “I feel Jarnail was not wrong, since what he did was the out come of injured sentiments. Here I would clear that Sikh community would always stand with him.”

There were dissenting voices too, but what was significantly conveyed was the kind of anger the Sikhs were writhing with after the CBI exonerated Tytler for his alleged role in 1984 Sikh carnage and the Congress deciding to field him along with another accused Sajjan Kumar from their respective parliamentary seats in Delhi for re-election.

Punjab has 13 Lok Sabha seats out of which 9 are held currently by the SAD-BJP alliance. The neighboring Haryana has 10 seats out of which nine are with the Congress. Since Sikhs are in a sizeable in number in Haryana, and of course with dominance in Punjab, the political implications of Sikh outrage cannot be ruled out.

Said the chief of Damdami Taksal Baba Harnam Singh Dhuma: “The Sikhs will give a befitting reply to the Congress in the coming Lok Sabha poll. Such an extreme step by a learned person only shows the gravity of the issue.”

Disapproving Jarnail Singh’s act, a veteran Sikh scholar and writer Principal Mohan Sigh Prem based in Patiala said: “The Congress president Sonia Gandhi has to decide now if she goes ahead with giving tickets to Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar and end up losing over 22 seats from north India where Sikhs are a deciding factor.”

Agreed Dr Gurbachan Singh Rahi: “One cannot approve Jarnail’s way of protest but the Congress should re-think for allotting party tickets to Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar.”

“How long one can wait for justice? It is but natural to get frustrated by the system. He must have got hurt over and over again. Otherwise, what was the need for an intellectual to indulge in this kind of act,” said MS Bharaj, a senior producer with Doordarshan, Jalandhar.

Said industrialist Amanbir Singh Marvaha: “The political class has usurped everything and still they want that they should be treated respectfully by those who are victims of their long apathy. Is it possible?”

Added Sarbjit Singh, owner of CCIT, a Ludhiana based computer institute: “Politicians should learn a lesson from the incident and gauge the anger prevailing among common people about them and their misdeeds.”

Gurcharan Singh Grewal, president, Sikh Students Federation, said one might not agree with Jarnail Singh’s way of protest, but has anybody ever thought of the pang the dependents of 1984 Sikh riot victims was passing through.

“Over 25 years gone but the assassins of 1984 riots are not given punishment. Injustice meted out to Sikh community has provoked Jarnail Singh to take such an extreme step. It would be better if the Congress withdraws Tytler from the fray,” said Grewal.

-- With inputs from Gagandeep Ahuja in Patiala, Jagmohan Singh in Amritsar, Arshdeep Singh in Ludhiana, Gauri Bawa in Jalandhar
I think it would be most appropriate if Sardar Jarnail Singh is given a ticket by Akali Dal to enable him to become an MP then he would surely be capable of creating a storm in the Lok Sabha

I unabadhedly :welcome: his actions & would support him whole heartedly

Jan 6, 2005
Congress withdraws Tytler, Sajjan from poll fray

source: NDTV.com: General Elections 2009: Congress withdraws Tytler, Sajjan from poll fray&

Congress withdraws Tytler, Sajjan from poll fray

Press Trust of India
Thursday, April 09, 2009 (New Delhi)

A worried Congress on Thursday withdrew its controversial leaders Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar from the electoral fray as the ghost of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots returned to haunt the party over their alleged role in the carnage.

"Jagdish Tytler and Sajjan Kumar have expressed their sentiments that they do not wish to embarrass the party by contesting Lok Sabha elections when some political parties and individuals have tried to vitiate the atmosphere. They have opted out of Lok Sabha elections.

"The party has accepted their feelings and decided that they will not be Lok Sabha candidates of the Indian National Congress," party General Secretary Janardhan Dwivedi told reporters shortly after Tytler announced his decision to opt out of the race.

The Congress decision comes amid a raging controversy over fielding the two leaders, whose names figured as accused in the 1984 riots, accentuated by the incident of throwing of shoe by a Sikh journalist at Home Minister P Chidambaram at AICC press conference on Tuesday.

The journalist said he was protesting against the clean chit given by CBI to Tytler in the riots case, an issue on which the agency today told a local court here that it had no jurisdiction to go into. The case has been deferred till April 28.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Re: Congress withdraws Tytler, Sajjan from poll fray

Shoe throwing was the icing on the cake for these two fiendish criminals of 1984 genocide not to run for MP seats. Now let us see if the same pressure makes CBI change its past decision and Supreme Court to show supreme justice against the atrocities commited by people against the Sikhs.

And I agree, this brave Sikh journalist should be given MP ticket in the coming elections. We need people like him in the political arena.

Tejwant Singh

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Today the Entire media covered this issue.Special programmes were shown and Tv channels are still showing.All thanks to Mr.Jarnail singh

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
PM seeks explanation from CBI on clean chit to Tytler

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to explain the circumstances that led to the agency giving a clean chit to Jagdish Tytler, said reports.

According to reports, the Prime Minister apparently has also asked for the details of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.

The UPA has been under growing pressure to drop Tytler as a Lok Sabha candidate ever since the CBI cleared him of all charges. And on Wednesday, there were massive protests by Sikhs across Punjab.

The big question now is will the Congress dump Tytler? So far there has been no official word from the Congress on Tytler's fate, but the party knows that it is at risk of losing the Sikh vote.

And it may be left with little choice if the court on Thursday rejects the clean chit given by the CBI.

Now that Congress president Sonia Gandhi is back from her tour of Kerala, the party could take a final call on Tytler on Thursday. The outrage against the Congress giving a ticket to Tytler and the CBI's clean chit to him has grown stronger with journalist Jarnail Singh throwing a shoe at Home Minister P Chidambaram at a press conference.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I hope that they remember to list among other things: missing witnesses 10 years or more; witnesses who will not testify in India; witnesses who withdrew testimony and won't talk about it.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
It bore fruit..the Congress has denied the two their Tickets.
for once I am proud to be this guys namesake !! Tytler and Kumar wont be running under the Congress Ticket.:whisling::whisling::whisling:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
They resigned -- but you know they were asked to resign (just my intuition no facts).

Gyani was posting just as i was responding. Gyani ji is saying they declined to contest. Better go with what he says. My reading could be wrong.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
deepsingh ji

The 65,000 dollar question that answers itself. :welcome: Maybe they are slow learners. It took a shoe to remind them of what they already knew. I can remember my mother chasing my brother around the house with her shoe whenever he "forgot" what he was supposed to do.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: