• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Join Online Gurmat Classes In English

SikhGiani

SPNer
Sep 16, 2010
I dont know if many people are aware but the classes have been going on for 18 weeks. Each week a new video is upload and assignment assigned. If you want to farther your Gurmat Please Join. Its better if you start at week 1 and work yourself up. So you can understand.

Here are some videos and Charts used for the classes.

Here is the home page of the class http://mysimran.info/

http://vimeo.com/40423966copyandpastehttp://vimeo.com/40423966

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2012
I dont know if many people are aware but the classes have been going on for 18 weeks. Each week a new video is upload and assignment assigned. If you want to farther your Gurmat Please Join. Its better if you start at week 1 and work yourself up. So you can understand.

Here are some videos and Charts used for the classes.

Here is the home page of the class http://mysimran.info/

http://vimeo.com/40423966copyandpastehttp://vimeo.com/40423966

I took a look at the first slide show, but didn't get past the intro where the facilitator referred to himself and the other staff as, "Gurmukhs". The little knowledge I've picked up along the way tells me that a true Gurmukh would be the last person in the world to refer to him/herself as such; ie. if someone does call him/herself a Gurmukh - keep away!
Thoughts?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I make no apologies for being from the Kala Afghana school of thought, and as such, to say that this will further my understanding is a gross claim. It actually dilutes my understanding, and takes may away from spending 24 hours a day loving Creation.

Why do people think that to be a good Sikh I have to pray and meditate and close my senses etc, Guru Nanakji actively helped, worked and lived and breathed Sikhi through every action, thought and spoken word, I do not feel it is rocket science, I am with my brother Awakeandji

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I make no apologies for being from the Kala Afghana school of thought, and as such, to say that this will further my understanding is a gross claim. It actually dilutes my understanding, and takes may away from spending 24 hours a day loving Creation.

Why do people think that to be a good Sikh I have to pray and meditate and close my senses etc, Guru Nanakji actively helped, worked and lived and breathed Sikhi through every action, thought and spoken word, I do not feel it is rocket science, I am with my brother Awakeandji

What is exactly is the Kala afghana ?
Is it the one that doesn't agree with amrit vela and anand karaj ?
Just explain briefly what it is and what you agree with, I'm sorry, but I don't know too much.

You don't find the need to pray or meditate, but do you believe or think that Guru Nanak never meditated ?

Just a little more clarity please.

riano

SPNer
May 21, 2012
NO Personal Attacks or Sect Bashing: HATE MESSAGES WILL BE REMOVED WITHOUT NOTICE AND WOULD INVITE A PERMANENT BAN FROM THE SPN.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Luckyji

If we do not take steps now to stop the continuing ritualisation of Sikhism, then in another 1000 years I guarantee you that the images of the Gurus that we hold dear at this present time will be lost for ever.

In fact I put it to you that all religions probably started out just like Sikhism, one Creator, love for all, no ceremonies, no rituals, no worship of submission to anyone other than Creator, but time takes its toll, chinese whispers take place, the poison starts to seep in, and before you know it, the true essence is lost forever, known only to a few, who are then ostracised by the masses, hellbent on keeping the power and money train going for the masters.

I agree with a lot of what Gurbaksh Singh Kala Afghana says, namely

Elevation of Dasam Granth as equal to Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is wrong
The magical powers of Amrit over the harder mental understanding of Bani
Condemnation of the book by former Akal Takht Jathedar JS Vedanti which portrays Guru Hargobindji as an incarnation of Vishnu
Support for freedom to eat meat if so wished
Parrot fashion reciting of Bani
The continued trend to integrate more Hinduistic practices into Sikhism.
Believing you can wash away your sins by bathing in Darbar Sahib waters
Matha Tekking past saints and heroes of Sikhi

In my view Sikhism is hard work, you have to live it, you have to earn the right to be a Sikh every day, and it is more than finding your chakras or the tenth, eleventh eye, I find such quite selfish and self centred, meism, as a Sikh you are a world policeman, a protector, a helper, a sewadar, and the reward is not enlightenment, knowledge, Mukti, heaven, big eyed virgins, ambrosia rice pudding, it is simply being connected to Creator and living as per his Hukam, knowing you are stepping on a path that has been laid out for you hand in hand with Creator.

I like Kala Afghana because he asks the same questions I ask, for instance, when I was younger I truly believed that if I prayed, and one day took Amrit, and just did what needed to be done, it would all make me a better stronger Sikh and all my wishes would come true, now I see how naive and childish that is, the pity is that there are people much older than me that still cling on to such, and do all the right things, and wear the right attire but behave like black hearted thugs and scoundrels.

Btw, did Guruji pray and meditate, or did he contemplate and internally debate? I feel there is a massive difference

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Wow , good points Harry ji, to understand this Lucky ji, you need to have read boosk like Steppenwolf - they will make it more clear what Harry ji says - And this is what he means with
Btw, did Guruji pray and meditate, or did he contemplate and internally debate?

They will give you better understanding - This is so true Harry ji, but I guess with your views you are alone here :S? This is exactly how I think (not in all points but in many), and noone understands me or I do not understand them?( maybe I am heretic)? I guess it is me ..Maybe it is my hybris? I dont know..You are very wise person I guess this comes from your experiences?

Dharam yudh ka chao

Saint Soldier - Some call'em Raam [Produced by Noyz] - YouTube

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Tigerji

I think I will start that thread on Hesse, I look forward to your input there, maybe young Vouthonji will also join us.

I too thought I was alone brother, you are not alone, I will always be here for you kudihug

Nov 23, 2010
TigerStlyeZ has a very good point about being humble.
Are there any good translations to English of the writings of Kala Afgana out there.
I don't read punjabi very well yet.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Thakns for reply =) Yeah it is good to open the thread , I was just waiting.
@ linzer

Many people see Gurbaksh Singh as a maverick , and critise him . They just don´t want to understand his point of view- I don´t know if there any translations... I guess you need to have to listen in punjabi,.

Jan 9, 2012
Meanwhile ...
I'm still disappointed at not having what looked like an interesting series on Gurmat in English.

Was I right to exit at the point of the "Gurmukh" remark? Or, should I have listened further?

Any other such recordings out there?

And, bending the topic (like Beckett, but hopefully not like Uri Geller!) a bit, ... since there is no clergy in Sikhi, and the whole business has been described by a friend as, "... a DIY religion", according to what standard is one to know whether a point of view truly reflects the Guru's intention? If it resonates with me, is this merely a reflection of my own personal biases?
How does one differentiate, "Sat Nam", from all the gur-babble out there? :confusedmunda:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM