• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Johnnie Walker: Friend Or Foe?

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
but my respect would lie with those who choose to die or defend their personal liberties. (on the basis of taste) rather than those who ran.

cheers

Those who chose to die against a mob who was on plunder and killing and nothing else. Police had clear instructions to not to listen to anyone and not to lodge FIR. But then you have a brave opinion.

Apr 4, 2007
I lost my kesh in 84 riots and saved myself.I have them now. It is not a hypothetical question.There were two options that time:
a] run or
b] get killed for nothing.

I survived. Maybe it was not correct but I did as per my instincts that were governed by the circumstances or the environment or may be something that was extraneous. In any case I should presume that I did everything with in Rehat though people may differ.REhat cannot be drafted taking all the eventualities in mind. One will have to be guided by commonsense than by fighting over as to what should be and what should have been as you said to be 'history'

Cheers!

you had pretty good instincts for a four year old... :)

so what you really meant is that your PARENTS cut your kes for you in '84 because they thought you'd be safer. couldn't they have dressed you as a girl and kept the kes? i've heard that happened a lot...

where was your family during the riots? just curious. i'm talking to a lot of sikhs about their experiences.

curiosity. i have several friends who were directly effected, not to mention my husband and in-laws. i'm trying to understand how such a massive tragedy could happen. and i'm more interested in hearing personal opinions than reading propagandized reports from the media.

do you talk to non-sikhs and their experiences during the riots, or just sikhs?

Apr 4, 2007
do you talk to non-sikhs and their experiences during the riots, or just sikhs?

since i'm not doing any sort of scientific study or official project, i'm talking to sikhs. i'm specifically interested in the experience of sikhs.

i have talked to some hindus in passing... every hindu i've ever met from delhi claims someone in their family "helped" sikhs. no one ever admits to knowing anyone who harmed sikhs. i find that difficult to believe, just based on the numbers... there were obviously more people in mobs than sheltering sikhs. but as i said, nothing i'm doing is scientific, it's just curiosity on my part.

but you also wish to avoid internalizing propaganda? im just having difficulty assessing your situation.

it's hard for me to wrap my head around what you are trying to say:

hindu experiences are most likely lies (in all likelyhood should not be trusted) and sikh experiences must be taken as absolute truths?

i think you are unconsciously searching for propaganda and looking to fill the little crevices and spaces of your deepest sentiments (pre-determined sentiments).

how can you understand something from litsening to one side of the story and not have a biased opinion?

objectivity seems impossible but it lurks in the shadows...it is the route to peace

Apr 4, 2007
but you also wish to avoid internalizing propaganda? im just having difficulty assessing your situation.

it's hard for me to wrap my head around what you are trying to say:

hindu experiences are most likely lies (in all likelyhood should not be trusted) and sikh experiences must be taken as absolute truths?

i think you are unconsciously searching for propaganda and looking to fill the little crevices and spaces of your deepest sentiments (pre-determined sentiments).

how can you understand something from litsening to one side of the story and not have a biased opinion?

objectivity seems impossible but it lurks in the shadows...it is the route to peace

what exactly are you trying to accomplish by badgering me so much? i told you it was simple curiosity, not scientific method. why can't you just accept that i want to hear stories from survivors? why must you twist everything i say and dig for inconsistencies?

i never said hindus are most likely lying. i never said sikhs tell absolute truths. i never said i wished to "avoid internalizing propaganda". i just want to hear real stories from real people, not newspapers or books.

if you have a problem with this, too bad. i'm not interested in your pathetic attempts to turn every statement i make into a debate.

i suppose i should simply stop responding to your questions, but i stupidly thought you were actually curious. i should have known you were only looking for an argument.

sorry, you'll have none from me.

Blood Alcohol Content Calculator - The Police Notebook (source)

important information:
Blood Alcohol Content:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.02 — 0.03 BAC: No loss of coordination, slight euphoria and loss of shyness. Depressant effects are not apparent. Mildly relaxed and maybe a little lightheaded. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]
hr.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.04 — 0.06 BAC:[/FONT] Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are w[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]orse)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.07 — 0.09 BAC:[/FONT] Slight impairment of balance, speech, vision, reaction time, and hearing. Euphoria. Judgment and self-control are reduced, and caution, reason and memory are impaired (in some* states .08 is legally impaired and it is illegal to drive at this level). You will probably believe that you are functioning better than you really are.

hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.10 — 0.125 BAC:[/FONT] Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle at this level of intoxication in all states.

hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.13 — 0.15 BAC:[/FONT] Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria* is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.
( * —Dysphoria: An emotional state of anxiety, depression, or unease.)
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.16 — 0.19 BAC:[/FONT] Dysphoria predominates, nausea may appear. The drinker has the appearance of a "sloppy drunk."
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.20 BAC:[/FONT] Feeling dazed/confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand/walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people have nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.25 BAC:[/FONT] All mental, physical and sensory functions are severely impaired. Increased risk of asphyxiation from choking on vomit and of seriously injuring yourself by falls or other accidents.
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.30 BAC:[/FONT] STUPOR. You have little comprehension of where you are. You may pass out suddenly and be difficult to awaken.
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.35 BAC:[/FONT] Coma is possible. This is the level of surgical anesthesia.
hr.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]0.40 BAC and up:[/FONT] Onset of coma, and possible death due to respiratory arrest. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Do you think the reason intoxicants are banned for Khalsa is because they are supposed to be ready for trouble at any moment?

If I am a soldier-saint, and I'm tipsy or drunk, I'm probably not going to be much help when that dude attacks that other dude over there, right?

Wouldn't that be the logical reason why intoxicants are frowned upon? A Khalsa is meant to be ready nearly 100% of the time. Being drunk = not ready.

And since the line between having a drink and being tipsy is blurry, it would seem best practice to not drink at all.

I think the natural human state is to become intoxicated very quickly. You have to drink and become tipsy to build up a resistance to the effect. That's why I can drink one glass of red wine and feel okay, one and a half and I am tipsy, and my partner can drink a deal more (he's been drinking a lot longer than me).

At least, that's my theory on alcohol.

I guess it can be applied to anything that alters the state of mind. Sleeping pills, medicinal marijuana... Pain killers don't really impair your functionality... You have a migraine that is affecting your ability to see... someone breaks into your house, you are at a disadvantage. Alternatively, you have a migraine, you take some pain killers, they might make you feel pretty good but when that bad dude comes through your window I'm sure you'll have better aim with the golf club.

Now, the question is, if you're incapacitated (is that spelt right??) anyway, is there any harm in taking something mind-altering that will make you feel more at rest in your already-incapacitated state?

Shouldn't it all come down to logic, and the logical reason why we should or shouldn't do things?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM