• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jith Simran Dhargeh Mukh Oojal Sadha Sadha Sukh Paaei | ਜਿਤੁ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਮੁਖੁ ਊਜਲ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
This weeks shabad is from ang 629. Word meanings given-please feel free to correct. My own interpretation will be added in a few days. Please submit your own understanding and how this is being incorporated in your life....

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥Sorath Mehalaa 5 ||
Written in raag sorath by Guru Arjan ji. This raag is used singing about the merits of Ik Oankaar and is used for motivation. It is traditionally an evening raag.

ਭੂਖੇ ਖਾਵਤ ਲਾਜ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥Bhookhae Khaavath Laaj N Aavai ||

ਭੂਖੇ = hungry
ਖਾਵਤ = to eat
ਲਾਜ = shame, modesty, honour
ਨ ਆਵੈ = to feel

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥੧॥Thio Har Jan Har Gun Gaavai ||1||

ਤਿਉ – in such a way
ਹਰਿ = every
ਜਨੁ = person
ਹਰਿ
ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ = sings the praises

ਅਪਨੇ ਕਾਜ ਕਉ ਕਿਉ ਅਲਕਾਈਐ ॥Apanae Kaaj Ko Kio Alakaaeeai ||

ਅਪਨੇ = own
ਕਾਜ ਕਉ = for work
ਕਿਉ = why
ਅਲਕਾਈਐ = be lethargic/lazy

ਜਿਤੁ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਮੁਖੁ ਊਜਲ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥Jith Simaran Dharageh Mukh Oojal Sadhaa Sadhaa Sukh Paaeeai ||1|| Rehaao ||

ਜਿਤੁ = with the help of
ਸਿਮਰਨਿ = Gurbani
ਦਰਗਹ = presence
ਮੁਖੁ = face, countenance
ਊਜਲ = lit up, shiny
ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ = always
ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ = obtain peace

ਰਹਾਉ = pause, reflect, and use this line for understanding the essence of this shabad

ਜਿਉ ਕਾਮੀ ਕਾਮਿ ਲੁਭਾਵੈ ॥Jio Kaamee Kaam Lubhaavai ||

ਜਿਉ = just like
ਕਾਮੀ = lustful person
ਕਾਮਿ ਲੁਭਾਵੈ = remains attached to lust

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਦਾਸ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ॥੨॥Thio Har Dhaas Har Jas Bhaavai ||2||

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ
ਦਾਸ = devotee
ਹਰਿ
ਜਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ = obtains a good reputation, finds pleasing

ਜਿਉ ਮਾਤਾ ਬਾਲਿ ਲਪਟਾਵੈ ॥Jio Maathaa Baal Lapattaavai ||

ਜਿਉ
ਮਾਤਾ = mother
ਬਾਲਿ = child
ਲਪਟਾਵੈ = sticks to

ਤਿਉ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥੩॥Thio Giaanee Naam Kamaavai ||3||

ਤਿਉ
ਗਿਆਨੀ = giani, not a priest but someone who seeks out the meaning of a spiritual existence
ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ = to earn a Gursikh life

ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਤੇ ਪਾਵੈ ॥Gur Poorae Thae Paavai ||

ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ = pure teacher
ਤੇ = from
ਪਾਵੈ = to obtain

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੮੩॥Jan Naanak Naam Dhhiaavai ||4||19||83||

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ = O Nanak
ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ = remember Naam

Who is the pure teacher?
Who do you think is/can be a Giani? Do we use the term correctly?

What is the overall message of this shabad?

:feedback: :feedback:

How are you liking this new format? Does any of the sangat here have ideas of how we can make this section of the forum more interactive and more informative? Please let me know.

Attachments

• eating.jpg
    eating.jpg
    30.7 KB · Reads: 556

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
findingmyway ji

You make this project look easy. I know the measure of the effort you put into the Shabad of the Week, and it takes love of the shabadguru to dedicate your knowledge, your time, your energy, your willingness to do research, your enthusiasm, you comprehension of language, your insights into shabadguru, both the teaching of our Gurus and their importance to everyday life. There is more here than pasting a shabad into a comment pane, and following up with some vocabulary builders.

In reply to you I would say 2 things: one, feedback as to why this is so worthwhile; and the other, how we could inspire more responses.

We do get feedback from members who are impressed by the number of active members who post on a regular basis. Active participation is a premium for any forum. Members reply in all sorts of threads to all sorts of topics, both serious and entertaining. However, we have a high rate of participation in Gurbani-related threads, and that is somewhat harder to find on the net. Shabad of the Week creates yet one more opportunity for this to happen.

Some of the feedback we have received has been from gurdwaras and sangats who wait for SOTW so they can use it for gurmat class. SOTW is basically a gurbani discussion guide all ready for class! And not only do we have the shabad and the vocabulary, but we also have discussions to follow and to react to!

This news came out of the blue and was completely unexpected, as an unintended and positive result. I would like to see some of these same sangats appoint individuals to sign on here, participate in the SOTW discussions, and share the discussions they have had on their side with us. A few participants here, and others there, adds up to something greater than the sum of all the new voices, because they would be transmitting ideas coming from all of their colleagues who have been invisible all these weeks. I would love to see someone named (fictional) Inderpal Singh introduce himself as gurmat teacher at Gurdwara xxx from somewhere in Canada or the US or India or UK or Norway, and then comment on the thoughts and debates that occurred on his end. If we could do that, we would be using the Internet the way it was initially intended to be used.

Online learning is a two-way street!

Then you would see how your efforts bear fruit.
And a wonderful choice of shabad this week.

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
My interpretation below:

ਸੋਰਠਿ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥[/FONT]Sorath Mehalaa 5 ||
ਭੂਖੇ ਖਾਵਤ ਲਾਜ ਨ ਆਵੈ ॥[/FONT]Bhookhae Khaavath Laaj N Aavai ||

If a hungry person finds something to eat, they do not feel ashamed to eat.

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥੧॥[/FONT]Thio Har Jan Har Gun Gaavai ||1||

In the same way, everyone who is devoted to Ik Oankaar does not feel shame is singing for joy every minute in remembrance of the Creator to feed their soul. ||1||

ਅਪਨੇ ਕਾਜ ਕਉ ਕਿਉ ਅਲਕਾਈਐ ॥[/FONT]Apanae Kaaj Ko Kio Alakaaeeai ||

That person doesn’t want to be lazy in the true business of becoming a Gurmukh.

ਜਿਤੁ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਦਰਗਹ ਮੁਖੁ ਊਜਲ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥[/FONT]Jith Simaran Dharageh Mukh Oojal Sadhaa Sadhaa Sukh Paaeeai ||1|| Rehaao ||

Those who, with the help of Gurbani, feel they are connected with the Sat, their face shines with joy and they find inner peace always. ||Pause||

ਜਿਉ ਕਾਮੀ ਕਾਮਿ ਲੁਭਾਵੈ ॥[/FONT]Jio Kaamee Kaam Lubhaavai ||

Just as the lecher is enticed by lust,

ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਦਾਸ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ॥੨॥[/FONT]Thio Har Dhaas Har Jas Bhaavai ||2||

In that way, devotees of the Creator find only Ik Oankaar’s praises pleasing.

ਜਿਉ ਮਾਤਾ ਬਾਲਿ ਲਪਟਾਵੈ ॥[/FONT]Jio Maathaa Baal Lapattaavai ||

Just as the mother holds her child so close,

ਤਿਉ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ॥੩॥[/FONT]Thio Giaanee Naam Kamaavai ||3||

That is how a Gurmukh earns the Gursikhi jeevan, by holding tight to the values taught us by our Guru with all our life, protecting and nurturing as a mother does.

ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਤੇ ਪਾਵੈ ॥[/FONT]Gur Poorae Thae Paavai ||

This knowledge is obtained from the Perfect Guru.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੮੩॥[/FONT]Jan Naanak Naam Dhhiaavai ||4||19||83||

Nanak tells us, only that person always remembers Ik Oankaar.

Overall message as per my understanding: The Sikh path is not mystical or other worldly, its as much part of us as eating when hungry. By focussing our attention away from things that divert us, to being good people, the Gurmukh path is open to each and every one who chooses it. A mother nurtures her child. In that way we can nurture the Gurmukh in us. Same emotions but a healthier focus!

Please add, do you agree or disagree? Why? What else do you understand from this shabad?

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Beautifully put findingmyway Ji,
Guru Arjan Sahib describes the love of Lord as being embibed in the very nature of the devotee, it comes as naturally as hunger to an empty stomach, or a mother's love for her child. It is repetitive, but not redundant; harmonic but not forced.
The verse after Rahau is ridden with a very powerful metaphor. It compares the love of devotee with the enticement of a lecher by his pleasures of flesh. I may add here that this concept of extreme and natural love for God is unique to Sikhism (or this is atleast what I suppose). The compulsive nature in which the a lustful person is driven towards his passions is involuntary, he can't help it, nor can he avoid it; for him it is nothing but a call to redeem his passion. The devotee's love for Lord is as involuntary, as powerful and as fulfilling. I am reminded of another Shabad,
ਭੈਰਉ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਜੀਉ ਘਰੁ ੨
Bhairao, Naam Dayv Jee, Second House:
ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਜੈਸੀ ਭੂਖੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਅਨਾਜ ॥
As the hungry person loves food,

ਤ੍ਰਿਖਾਵੰਤ ਜਲ ਸੇਤੀ ਕਾਜ ॥
and the thirsty person is obsessed with water,

ਜੈਸੀ ਮੂੜ ਕੁਟੰਬ ਪਰਾਇਣ ॥
and as the fool is attached to his family-

ਐਸੀ ਨਾਮੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ ॥੧॥
just so, the Lord is very dear to Naam Dayv. ||1||

ਨਾਮੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਲਾਗੀ ॥
Naam Dayv is in love with the Lord.

ਸਹਜ ਸੁਭਾਇ ਭਇਓ ਬੈਰਾਗੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
He has naturally and intuitively become detached from the world. ||1||Pause||

ਜੈਸੀ ਪਰ ਪੁਰਖਾ ਰਤ ਨਾਰੀ ॥
Like the woman who falls in love with another man,

ਲੋਭੀ ਨਰੁ ਧਨ ਕਾ ਹਿਤਕਾਰੀ ॥
and the greedy man who loves only wealth,

ਕਾਮੀ ਪੁਰਖ ਕਾਮਨੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ॥
and the sexually promiscuous man who loves women and sex,

ਐਸੀ ਨਾਮੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ ॥੨॥
just so, Naam Dayv is in love with the Lord. ||2||

ਸਾਈ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਲਾਏ ॥
But that alone is real love, which the Lord Himself inspires;

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਜਾਏ ॥
by Guru's Grace, duality is eradicated.

ਕਬਹੁ ਨ ਤੂਟਸਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਇ ॥
Such love never breaks; through it, the mortal remains merged in the Lord.

ਨਾਮੇ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਇਆ ਸਚਿ ਨਾਇ ॥੩॥
Naam Dayv has focused his consciousness on the True Name. ||3||

ਜੈਸੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਬਾਰਿਕ ਅਰੁ ਮਾਤਾ ॥
Like the love between the child and its mother,

ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਮਨੁ ਰਾਤਾ ॥
so is my mind imbued with the Lord.

ਪ੍ਰਣਵੈ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਲਾਗੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ॥
Prays Naam Dayv, I am in love with the Lord.

ਗੋਬਿਦੁ ਬਸੈ ਹਮਾਰੈ ਚੀਤਿ ॥੪॥੧॥੭॥
The Lord of the Universe abides within my consciousness. ||4||1||7||
(Sri Guru Granth Sahib, Page 1164)

Guru Sahib goes on to describe the embrace of a mother as she holds her newborn, she holds her tight, and tends her well; nowhere can such an equally loveable embrace be found. So is the embrace of the devotee Sikh to the Name of the Lord. Lovely, powerful and unparalleled in grace.

angrisha

SPNer
Jun 24, 2010
Canada
Who do you think is/can be a Giani? Do we use the term correctly?

I was thinking about this question a bit over the last few days, and I know that the term Giani almost is synonymous with person who wears a paag in every day use of the term.... but I don't think that's incorrect either, if we think of the meaning of someone who is seeking knowledge then isn't that what we are doing all the time? So then essentially, is there really a wrong way to use that term?

The other thing that I after reading your interpretation of becoming Gurmukh I have another understanding. But, for me at least I always wondered when ppl were introduced as "Gurmukh" at the gurdwara by someone else, who gave us or anyone the right to judge that. How would we know they they are Gurmukh... but if I take that as a life path and something to work towards it seems to make more sense....

Just random thoughts....

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
ਤਿਉ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ
ਤਿਉ That's how
ਗਿਆਨੀ Learned
ਨਾਮੁ Gurus Word
ਕਮਾਵੈ It is metaphor ie earning is what one saves after investment and time spending. For spending or using or saving.

Shabad essence what one saves , in Mind for use is Kamai.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Last edited:

ravneet_sb

Writer
SPNer
Nov 5, 2010
Sat Sri Akaal,

Who save ie earns Guru Shabad, one consumes, spends and it increases more he spends, and may distribute to all, it will not lessen.

Khavey Kharchey Tot Na Avey.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: