• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pauri 1 Japuji Sahib Di Pahili Pauri

May 19, 2008
wahe guru ji ka khalsa wahe guru ji ki fateh
i have read it every where that after moolmantra there is a shlok and then 1st pauri starts but i am confused since u start 1st pauri with aad sach.there is written 1 at the end of aad sach shlok.then 1 comes at the end of pahili pauri beginning with sochai. will you please tell me your reference book which starts 1st pauri with aad sach?
jitender

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Aad Sach
Jugaad Sach
HaiBhi Sach
Nanak Hosi Bhi Sach -

Qualifies as a salok (evidence in Sukhmani Sahib where it appears there too as a salok)

First pauri starts from Sochai Soch Na Hovai....

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012
i have read it every where that after moolmantra there is a shlok and then 1st pauri starts but i am confused since u start 1st pauri with aad sach.there is written 1 at the end of aad sach shlok.then 1 comes at the end of pahili pauri beginning with sochai. will you please tell me your reference book which starts 1st pauri with aad sach?
jitender

I don't know which writing you are referring to. Nonetheless I want to share with you the issue you have raised.
You are very right in saying that after Mool Mantar there is a Shloh. At the end of this shlok it is given 1. Again it is also given 1 at the end of 1st. Pauri.
There is an English rendering of Japji Sahib in rhyme in my website "kslamba.wordpress.com" in which I have marked 1 at the end of shlok. The first pauri starts with "VERSE I" and goes on as verse II, Verse III, Verse IV etc.

Aug 28, 2010
I have given a lot of thinking about refering the thirty eight Stanzas as
PAUREES.
I think there is no reference by GuRu ji himself for making reference to these elaborative stanzas of Banee JAPu as PAUREES.
One can find whereever there is need for any such reference GuRu sahib have properly written for any such description.
I feel refering these as PAUREE may be our own assumption.
Then how correct it is to make such assumptions?
These are my personal observations .I may be corrected for anthing incorrect.
Prakash.S.Bagga

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It was Guru Arjan Dev who decided to organize the Japji Sahib as paurees, when he was compiling the aad granth. He is the one who inserted the numbers that end each pauree. No one else inserted the numbers which are not constructions of later minds.

Counting down, groups of lines end with a number that mark the end of the "pauree."

See the "1" at the end of the first pauree.

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥
ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥
ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ ॥
ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਤ ਇਕ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥
ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

The length of a pauree is variable and, yes, are sometimes labeled as "paurees" in the text, as other measures often are. From Ang 83.

ਪਉੜੀ ॥
Pa▫oṛī.
Pauree:

However they are the building blocks of larger parts of a composition that musicians and poets of the time would have know them.

http://www.gurbanifiles.org/intro.html

Every section of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is organized according to musical measures which are noted in one way or the other.

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
jitender

Now I understand! I had not read your comments which start the thread. Jitender Kaur ji, You are asking a practical question... it looks like that to me.

Let's try to answer it. We are making this too complicated.

You know the pauree by looking at then number that comes at the end. After the number the next one starts.

Pauri 1

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥
ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥
ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ ॥
ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਤ ਇਕ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥
ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.
So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?
O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||

Then Pauree 2 picks up

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਆਕਾਰ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਕਹਿਆ ਜਾਈ ॥
ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਜੀਅ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥
ਹੁਕਮੀ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਈਅਹਿ ॥
ਇਕਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਇਕਿ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸਦਾ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ॥
ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥

By His Command, bodies are created; His Command cannot be described.
By His Command, souls come into being; by His Command, glory and greatness are obtained.
By His Command, some are high and some are low; by His Written Command, pain and pleasure are obtained.
Some, by His Command, are blessed and forgiven; others, by His Command, wander aimlessly forever.
Everyone is subject to His Command; no one is beyond His Command.
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, , does not speak in ego. ||2||

Now one point of confusion. This part also ends with a "1"

॥ ਜਪੁ ॥
Jap.
Chant And Meditate:
ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥
Āḏ sacẖ jugāḏ sacẖ.
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
Hai bẖī sacẖ Nānak hosī bẖī sacẖ. ||1|
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||

The section starting "aad such" is not part of the first pauree. It is an invocation that begins the Japji. Astroboy, raagi, is correct when he says, consider it a saloka. Some these beginning 3 verses are a continuation of the Mool Mantar. Others do not. I have already posted the first pauree in these comnents.

Here is the reference book. http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=1&h=0&fb=0

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM