• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Japji Sahib - Pauri 22th

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Members,

Through this post, I share with you my understanding of the 22nd Pauri of Japji Sahib.

The sentences of this Pauri are serially numbered for easy reference.

1. pwqwlw pwqwl lK Awgwsw Awgws ] paataalaa paataal lakh aagaasaa aagaas.

Nether world beneath nether worlds, lakhs of skies above the skies.

2. EVk EVk Bwil Qky vyd khin iek vwq ] orhak orhak bhaal thakay vayd kahan ik vaat

Searching them one gets tired, Vedas say.

3. shs ATwrh khin kqybw AsulU ieku Dwqu ] sahas athaarah kahan kataybaa asuloo ik Dhaat.
The books say that there are 1800; yet the essence is one element.

4. lyKw hoie q ilKIAY lyKY hoie ivxwsu ] laykhaa ho-ay ta likee-ai laykhai ho-ay vinaas.
If imprint exist, it can be written; imprints are not available.

5. nwnk vfw AwKIAY Awpy jwxY Awpu ]22] naanak vadaa aakhee-ai aapay jaanai aap. ||22||
Nanak, the one whom we call greatest, knows on his own.

My learning from this Pauri:

It is a small Pauri but contains the one very important ‘Directive Principle’ to guide us on our way to spirituality.

Through this Pauri, Guru Sahib is telling me that the scripture that prevailed in earlier times creates lots of complicated entities. These cannot be perceived or proved, there is no evidence to accept them as true. Even if they exist, there essence is one element ‘The Sat’ who any way case knows all on its own.

From all this I conclude that Guru Sahib is telling me that I should not dwell on these complicated, unsubstantiated entities coming from those scripture. Knowledge of these entities is not going to guide me in my quest for spirituality. Sikh’s effort to become spiritual is independent of these concepts, no matter they exist or not, we as human have nothing to do with them and ‘The Sat’, any way, knows all the truth about them.

In essence Guru Sahib is telling me not to get involved with dualities coming from old scripture of the land, but to concentrate on the ‘One’ who is ‘Sat’. This is the ‘Directive Principle’

With Love and respect for all.

Amarpal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: