• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Japji Sahib - Pauri 17

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Members,

In this post, I share with you my understanding of the 17th Pauri of Japji Sahib.

In a way, the theme of this Pauri is the same as the previous Pauri.

I have given serial numbers to the sentences of this Pauri for ease of reference in the text.

1. AsMK Bgq gux igAwn vIcwr ] asaNkh bhagat gun gi-aan veechaar.

Countless devotees contemplate the Wisdom and Virtues.

2. AsMK sqI AsMK dwqwr ] asaNkh satee asaNkh daataar.

Countless the holy, countless the givers.

3. AsMK sUr muh BK swr ] asaNkh soor muh bhakh saar.

Countless heroic warriors, who bear the brunt of the attack in battle

4. AsMK moin ilv lwie qwr ] asaNkh mon liv laa-ay taar.

Countless meditate in silenced.

5. kudriq kvx khw vIcwru ] kudrat kavan kahaa veechaar.

How can the nature be stated or thought off?

6. vwirAw n jwvw eyk vwr ] vaari-aa na jaavaa ayk vaar.

I cannot be sacrificed even once.

7. jo quDu BwvY sweI BlI kwr ] jo tuDh bhaavai saa-ee bhalee kaar.

What you like is the right work.

8. qU sdw slwmiq inrMkwr ]17] too sadaa salaamat nirankaar. ||17||

You Ever present Formless.

My learning from this Pauri:

Guru Sahib in this Pauri continues to tell us the vastness of ‘Karta Purakh’ and limitedness of we humans.

We human are limited and as a result cannot comprehend the ‘Sat’, which is even beyond infinity. Even to say the ‘Karta Purakh’ is infinite is limiting ‘Sat’ to the limits of our imagination.

This limitation of we humans gives us an extremely limited perception of what ‘Karta Purakh’ is. Each individual depending on her/his background perceives this ‘Sat’ in its own way. As a result of these limited but varied perceptions, individuals try to reach this ‘Ultimate Reality’ by different ways. These ways, adopted by people are very large.

Overwhelmed by the immenseness of ‘Sat’ Guru Sahib state that he is not worth for being sacrificed for ‘Karta Purakh’ even once. Guru Sahib reminds us that ‘Sat’ is ever present and formless.

With Love and Respect for all.

Amarpal

Jul 13, 2004
Canada
Amarpal said:
Overwhelmed by the immenseness of ‘Sat’ Guru Sahib state that he is not worth for being sacrificed for ‘Karta Purakh’ even once. Guru Sahib reminds us that ‘Sat’ is ever present and formless.
Dear Amarpal ji,

Appears to be - Being worthy for sacrifice for 'Karta Purakh' is something Guru Sahib yearned for! Question: What do you think, is the criteria to become worthy of the sacrifice?

Best Regards.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
6. vwirAw n jwvw eyk vwr ] vaari-aa na jaavaa ayk vaar.

Amarpal ji,

Guru Fateh,

Can you please elaborate the subliminal meaning of the word sacrifice in the above as it comes at the end of the recent pauris you are trying to enlighten us with?

Thanx.

Peace & Love

Tejwant

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Tejwant Jee,

My understanding of the word 'Sacrifice', which you wanted me to elaborate, is given below.

vwirAw n jwvw eyk vwr ] vaari-aa na jaavaa ayk vaar.

Guru Sahib is overwhelmed by the immenseness of ‘The Sat’ and says that he cannot be sacrificed even once for ‘Karta Purakh’. In a way Guru Sahib has conveyed the limited and smallness of human existence.

The use of word ‘Sacrifice’ needs elaboration. Sacrifice is what we offer as homage to some one superior; it can be any thing.

In Japji Sahib, Guru Sahib is expressing what he felt from the depth of his heart and soul. Guru Sahib is stating that even if he dedicates his whole live to the cause of spirituality, it will not be enough. This way he is not using his life for his own use but for the benefit and uplifting of others, hence the word ‘Sacrifice’.

Here I want to mention what someone has said ‘we move towards our potential when we turn our learning into action’. Guru Sahib did that long back.

Guru Sahib, not only said that sacrifice of one life is not enough for the task, he made his ‘Jot’ to move from one guru into another. I the process we had nine Gurus in succession after Siri Guru Nanak Dev Jee, before perceivable impact was made towards evolution of the society towards spirituality; note ten lives were needed. It is with this realisation the Guru Sahib has stated:

vaari-aa na jaavaa ayk vaar.

Guru Sahib repeatedly (ten times) had to sacrifice there lives for the task, once was not enough, it was too little and inadequate.

These are the sentiments and realisation that I find in what Guru Sahib had said in this sentence. The subsequent progression of nine Gurus tells me that probably my understanding is correct.

With Love and Respect for all.

Amarpal

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Member (ThinkingOne Jee),

Guru Sahib was working for the benefit of others and in this way he was sacrificing is life for this cause.

'Karta Purakh' does not need any thing from us. What we are and what we get is due to 'Karta Purakh'. What can we offer to 'The Sat'; nothing.

Sacrifice is an internal urge, it is not a requirement from 'Karta Purakh'. For a cause one may sacrifice some thing that is because there is an internal urge.

There cannot be any standard to determine what is considered worthy of sacrifice to 'Karta Purakh'.

Guru Sahib out of virtuous living invested his life to improve the lot of the society. This he did out of compassion for those who were ignorant. What he got from 'Karta Purakh' he distributed to all who cared to receive it.

I hold the opinion that if in this life if one wants to sacrifice some thing, the first are all the vices and Ahamkar. This is what keep us away from spirituality.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: