• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jaimeet Singh: At 16, He Finds Time To Do Seva

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Jaimeet Singh: At 16, He Finds Time To Do Seva

by SMRITI SHARMA VASUDEVA

At 16, Jaimeet Singh has achieved what others only dream of.

A Class XI student of commerce at Vivek High School, Chanigarh, Punjab, Jaimeet has done the city proud by winning the Global Scholar Education World Young Achievers Award for community work.

A state-level basketball player, he has been involved in seva ever since the neighbourhood kids decided not to burst crackers on Diwali years ago.

He was felicitated with a citation, a trophy and Rs 25,000 at a function in Mumbai on January 8, 2010. He left the jury ... comprising the Sheriff of Mumbai, Indu Shahani, Dr. Prasad, head of the Leprosy Association in India, and Chairman of Scottish School, among others, spellbound with the presentation of his work.

Ask him about his inspiration, and he is quick to say: "My father, a doctor, has always inspired me. My mother also taught me to be honest and truthful no matter what."

He makes it a point to take out time for teaching poor kids and helps his father hold free medical camps. He is also involved with a gurdwara association and environmental issues.

He is also the recipient of the Duke of Edinburgh international award for young people and Round Square Award. A project also took him to South Africa for social work. Jaimeet doesn't much care about awards though - a quality appreciated by the jury as well.

His father, Dr Sarvinder Singh Gandhok, says: "His answer to the jury's question on what medals and awards meant to him and if he was doing social work only for these, impressed everyone present at the function."

The award, which saw 1,500 applicants in the category alone, was given to him after a telephone interview followed by a five-hour grilling session by experts regarding his work to verify his credentials. This was followed by a final question-answer round in front of a packed audience.

Keen to pursue Economics at St. Stephen's College in Delhi, Jaimeet is equally good at studies. The school and the CBSE has already awarded him certificates and commendation letters for academics as well.

Jaimeet believes in the words of Edmund Burke, "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little" and is already the role model of several students.

"I wish the government could ensure that every child went to school, and parents who forced them to work were penalized," he stated.

[Courtesy: The Tribune]

January 19, 2010

Attachments

• jaimeet_singh.jpg
    jaimeet_singh.jpg
    16.7 KB · Reads: 1,485

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: