• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jagriti Yatra- Awakening Or A Gimmick?

May 6, 2006
Chandigarh
The jagriti yatra commemorating the 300 years of Gurtagaddi of Guru Granth Sahib was a real show, however, the true face is a bit off.
I would like to narrate two scenes that i encountered during the passage of yatra. When the yatra had to pass through Chandigarh, there was a gang of boys on motorcycles moving in front of the procession. The way the gang behaved was nothing more than an act of show off and a way to impress girls. The boys didn't seemed to have anything to do with Sikhism, they were there to enjoy the crowd. The traffic in Chandigarh is quiet systematic and a small interruption on any road causes a big chaos. During the yatra, the traffic was in a mess. No body was having good words for the Sikhs.
The second incident is of Rajpura. The national highway stood blocked for the yatra causing inconvenience to general public. It took me 20 mins to pass a crossing in a car.
I just can't figure out what was so special that the people wanted to see. If Guru Granth sahib is the answer then what is the difference between the Saroop in the palki and the saroop at the gurudwara. If the Shastras is the answer then how come this yatra be related to Guru Granth Sahib ji, it should be called shastra yatra.

What are the sikhs heading to??? Sikhs were known for solving peoples' problems not creating new ones for them.

The money spent on this yatra could have been used to provide education to needy sikh students who cannot afford higher studies.
Programmes for promotion of Punjabi language should have initiated to commemorate the 300 years as Punjabi is the only means by which we can get to know gurbani.

There is so much to do on these tricentennaries and we just wasting our resouces on these yatras which has done more harm than good to Sikh image.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
What Jagretee ? Jagretee is brought about by Parchaar of GURBANI-SHABAD GURU...spreading the Divine Message of what the GURU SAYS. No such thing happened anywhere. No pamphlets explaining Gur-Shabads were distributed..no vichaar kathas of GurVaaks was done anywhere- No Seminars on Gurbani..no samelans on Vichaar of Gurbani...Nothing of the sort..just "never ending processions"... no body learns anything from such processions..its just plain revellery..entertainment....a good time.... The main objective was to collect as much GOLUCK as possible...easily a few hudnred KROR Rupees have been collected...and will be "unaccountable" as usual..sad state of affairs..

Gyani jarnail Singh

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
All jio

It is a competition, not religious longing to spread the word of Guru, all people of other faiths in India do this kind of stuff too on any excuse. Unfortunately Sikh leaders even don't learn from Guru History how Guru Shabad was spread. Why Babas and Deras are prosperous, answer can be found in this show off. By doing more wonderful and humanitarian things Sikhs can spread the Guru message more impressively.. Hypocrisy feed the hidden ego, in that pursuit message gets lost

May 22, 2007
I Too Reside In Jamshedpur, And The Scene Of Gang Of Boys (not All Sikhs) Moving In Front Of The Procession Was Also Repeated Here, Just Showing Off. Women Clinging On To The Buses As If Their Lives Depended On It, And People Pushing And Shoving Each Other To Have A Glimpse. Stampedes Were Common. When All This Was Shown On Our Local Tv News, I And My Family Decided Not To Visit.
As You Correctly Point Out That The 'saroop' Of Sggs Being Paraded, Is The Same As The 'saroop' That Is Kept In The Gurudwaras Daily.
Leave Alone Going To The Gurudwara For Naam-simran Or Listening To Shabad-kirtan, The No. Of Sikhs Who Go There Just To 'tek-matha' Can Be Counted On Your Fingers.the Sggs Lies Alone For The Whole Day At Our Countless G'waras All Over The World.
The Basic Concept Of 'sangat' Is Disappearing Fast, 'coz To Make A Congregration You Need People, But Our People Don't Have The Time For All This.
This Yatra Is A Total Hogwash, As You Said To Fill The Guru's Goluk (god Knows How Much Is Going To Go Into The Goluk And How Much Into Pockets).
From Jamshedpur Alone A Collection Of 25 Lakhs Was Made, But As I Was Told The Granthis Accompanying The Yatra Did Not Even Know Punjabi. They Were Openly Seen Communicating In Hindi. They Had No Replies To Queries Regarding The Sggs.
Actually Our Community Has Become So Negligent That We Have Deserted Our G'waras, And The Poor Locals Seize This Opportunity, And First Become Sevadars, And Slowly Go On To Become Granthis. This Is Happening All Over.
We Have Not Learnt From Our History, And Races Which Don't Pay Heed To Their History Become Extinct.
Waheguru.........mehar Kar

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: