• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Vikram singh

SPNer
Feb 24, 2005
Giddarpindi (Jalandhar) The villagers of Giddarpindi are up in arms against the forced control of Gurdwara Dharmshala Tahli Sahib and Shaheed Udham Singh Public School in the village, by the task force of Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. The agitated villagers have collectively declared that they will not visit the gurdwara till it is released from SGPC’s control. Shingara Singh, an SGPC member from Lohian, had come with the task force of the committee on January 11, a day before Maghi, and had taken control of the gurdwara and the school against the wishes of the villagers. Village sarpanch Baljit Singh, when contacted, said that on Maghi every year, the new committee of the Gurdwara Sahib is elected. “This year, I had told the gurdwara committee to give details of the income and expenditure of the gurdwara. But committee president Mukhtiar Singh and nine other members, out of total 25 members, had written to SGPC to take control of the gurdwara without consulting the villagers and the panchayat,” added the sarpanch. The gurwara is quite old in the village, and its new building had come up in 1995. The school building, which is close to the gurdwara, was constructed in 1998. It was learnt that the gurdwara has a monthly income of Rs 60,000, and also owns much land, which was the main cause of the dispute.
A few members of the gurdwara committee were members of the school management too. Sources said president of the school management Darshan Singh had not signed on the resolution to hand over the school to SGPC.
Villagers are resentful of SGPC’s move. Dilbagh Singh, a trustee of the school, said the move to take control of the gurdwara and the school would not be accepted. “We will fight tooth and nail to get our gurdwara back,” he added.
Shingara Singh said SGPC had taken control of the two premises following a written complaint from a villager, and some members of the gurdwara committee. Mukhtiar Singh, president of the gurdwara committee and vice-president of the school committee, said they had handed over both the institutions to SGPC because of some dispute. On being asked as to why the villagers are protesting, he didn’t comment.

SGPC takes control of gurdwara, school; villagers fight back - Express India

Jun 1, 2008
Sat shri akal,:D
This is not a new thing such things happen not only in Punjab but also out side it.
This is truly sad Guru Sahib wanted Gurrudwaras to be a place of spiritual enlightenment but Gurudwaras are converting into battle grounds .I have also heard that Caste based Gurudwaras are running in some parts of Punjab is this true i would like to know about this if anyone knows about this plz share.

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Funny, how the SGPC fought in the 1920's to liberate our gurdwaras AND NOW, well they are all for money and none for Sikhism.

I ask brothers, we need a new system of unity amongst sikhs. This is the basis of solving ALL our problems - some form of international sikh institution WHICH ACTUALLY has power of Akal Takth and faith of the Sikh Panth.

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Its in Amritsar India - Darbar Sahib complex.

Akal Takth is deliberately facing away from the central "darbar sahib" - concept of Miri and Piri (spiritual and temporal goals - i.e. life matters and spiritual matters are dealt with separately). Life matters are taken care by Akal Takhth - Spiritual "Darbar Sahib" i.e. Guru Granth Sahib.

Simple Sikh Politics. Nothing complicated. lol. Just the way the Guru's intended. Shame about it now.

Gurdip Chana.

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Same 'vicinity' as Harmandir Sahib complex: sorry brother, but didn't you already know this. I am not being sarcastic, I am just a little puzzled with the question. It is a perfectly fine question - just a thought.

Take a look at Google Earth - you can see harmandir sahib from the air - and if you look from the "central" darbar - directly adjacent to it lies the Akal Takth (you can take this opportunity to see using birds-eye view how the Akal Takth is facing slightly away from the central darbar)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
gs_channa ji

I think amarsanghera is asking whether you are using the term Darshan Sahib and Akal Takht interchangeably. When I read your comments it sounded as if you were using the term Darshan Sahib as an overalll location or vicinity where Akal Takht is located, not as if Darshan Sahib was a point on a map. I don't know if I was correct or if your meaning was clear to everyone.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
channa veerji

i was intentionally asking the question

ofcourse i know that there are two different buildings...but i wanted to understand if "Darbar Sahib" and "Akal Takth" are different

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM