• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Is There Intelligent, Ethical Life On Other Planets?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Is there intelligent, ethical life on other planets?
By Balpret Singh, Citizen Special

More than 500 years ago Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh faith, said that there were countless universes and galaxies and that God's creation could not be measured. Guru Granth Sahib, the Sikh scripture, describes God as "the Lord and Master of millions of universes; the provider for all beings" (ang 612).

There is a story in the Sikh tradition of Guru Nanak's meeting with a respected saint, Pir Dastgir of Baghdad, who insisted that there were only seven heavens above the Earth which contained the sun and moon.

Guru Nanak explained his position that there were, in fact, countless planets and galaxies. Guru Nanak is said to have shown in the blink of an eye the vastness of creation and the universes within it and convinced Pir Dastgir of the truth of his statement.

Indeed, if there are countless universes and planets, then the odds would certainly suggest that at least some of them do have "intelligent, ethical life."

Many of the world's greatest scientists, including Stephen Hawking, have also come out clearly in support of the belief that life exists beyond this Earth and may in fact be "common."

While thinking about extraterrestrial life and dreaming about journeys into outer space is interesting, I'm not sure it has many practical implications for our day-to-day lives. Humanity has an abundance of issues to deal with on planet Earth before dealing with life on other planets.

In the Sikh faith, while it is acknowledged that creation is boundless, the focus is on seeking God within and practising the principles of compassion and kindness in our lives.

The true search is not the one that takes us into outer space, but the one that takes us within ourselves to realize and experience God. That is certainly a much more practical journey to be reflecting upon.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/t...ther+planets/4116326/story.html#ixzz1BJoAGyx0

Attachments

• extraterrestrial life.jpg
    extraterrestrial life.jpg
    14.6 KB · Reads: 282

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Do you KNOW that the more powerful the MICROSCOPE GETS....the MORE that is there to "SEE".....the Most Powerful Microscope in existence still hasnt reached the LIMITS just as the Most Powerful TELESCOPE in existence still has a LONG long way to SEE into Space !! It works BOTH WAYS..whether looking OUT or INWARDS.

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
Gurfateh,
At present we are unable to see the existence of life beyond Earth with the best of our equipments. It doesn't mean that life is just confined to Earth. Dalton's Atomic Theory once stated that Atoms were indivisible. Even a school child today knows that constituents of an Atom can be separated and moved (the fundamentals of electronics). Same applies to the universe as well. It would require more dedicated research.

Applying this to spirituality, it would need a dedicated spiritual research to fully know oneself and to realize Almighty within oneself.

Jeremiah

SPNer
Feb 1, 2011
We are still in darkness about the existence of life on other planets. Scientists are endeavoring to explore the world continuously. May be we will be able to see life on other planets after a few years.

GodIsTruth

SPNer
Aug 30, 2012
I think it is highly unlikely that life does not exist out there. With all of the countless worlds that the Creator has made, for life not exist on one of these worlds would be odd.

I am sure that in this stage of our evolution the Creator does not see it right for us to communicate with these beings on other planets. It is likely that until our world unites and stops killing each other, we are not evolved enough to contact other worlds.

Jeremiah Ji, whether one calls Allah, God, the Creator or other such names, I do not think it really matters. The reverence and devotion we all show to this supreme being is what is important, not how we refer to Him/Her.

Blessed be.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
We need to recognize that humans and their logic is hardly a spec of any value in the grand expanse of the universe.

Our concepts like the following fall by the way side in the expanse of the universe,

• Intelligent
  • Ethical
  • Life
  • etc.
Even in our own world here of people, animal, animate and in-animate the relative application of such concepts is superfluous. Try understanding what a lion or a donkey thinks is intelligent and ethical. They do reside and share the world with us, so called superior form of life.

Sikhism teaches us to see all round as one and any partitions and differentiations are of transitory or irrelevant nature. It feels good to claim humanity in the colored glasses of ethical, intelligent, etc., but it is just an illusion.

As a result, such questions or quests have virtually no standing in true spirituality from what I can think.

Sat Sri Akal.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I know extraterrestrial life exists :p I am pretty sure the people look like humans as well, because the Guru ji is wise to share Sikhism with more than one world.

I used to spend a lot of time reading and studying about things like this....wondering, contemplating. Was very interested in archeology, past civilisations and their stories of interactions with alien life.

The adventurer in me is probably the reason why i took to Simran/meditation - to explore my own consiousness, what it is and where it came from.

I think we will get all our answers from our own consciousness...we just need to explore it like Sri guru Granth sahib ji asks us to :) - go and explore, i'm pretty sure you will get all your answers...even to questions like this

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
What is really intelligent ?
and what is really ethical ?

Maybe we are the real unintelligent when compared to the normal forms of ExtraTerrestial life out there.
Maybe we are so under intelligent that we can't even acknowledge these other forms of life that are even among us now as visitors from their planets!!!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM