• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is There Evidence For Life Beyond Death?

Jul 29, 2011
what abt the guru nanak dev g.....they had said there are 84 lakh joons after the death!!!!! what does this mean, it indicates life after death!!!! and if it so then all after death go by this phase???? can anyone elaborate this?

thanx

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Pertaining to the topic, Is there evidence of life beyond death?

Well, I say, you don't have to disregard this man's claims as "made up". If you hold a neutral viewpoint, only more knowledge and curiosity will result. By saying this, now I invite you to view this video. It is not any sort of propagation about any religion. In fact it's beyond the dogmas of any religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xRSjzY0s0SM
http://pyaarmessages.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/man-dies-comes-back-to-life-what-he-saw/

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Interesting. You either buy this story or you don't.

The only one to maybe confirm this is someone who may have experienced the same.
In my view, I do believe very confidently that when the heart stops it's not the end. The conscious does carry on for eternity like this man says and with reference to the original post.

Waheguru

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
If consciousness carries over then the only way to experience physical death would be to be conscious in your consciousness. Because when we are alive, our senses are constantly interacting with the world. They are constantly picking up information about our environment. I can hear the keys clicking. I can feel the smooth surface as I type. I can see the words being written. We are constantly glued to that information. If it's not sensory info then it's thoughts, mental images and sounds. You are reading this - skimming over words, maybe several words. Many trains of thought run inside your head. What are you thinking about? How important is it?

When we are alive, we are constantly attached to the senses and experience. We are constantly attached to some piece of information. But at death, these senses will leave us. No information matters there: no past, no future, no identity - "Na koi hindu na koi musalman". After death, consciousness, if it is present after death will be immersed in itself, without the senses. How would that feel like? What would it be like there?

This would a good experiment to try and perform in introspection, to try and be conscious of your consciousness alone without interference from sensory info or thoughts. For those who don't believe in any sort of after-life, just pretend for a few minutes that life after death is possible and that it's possible to experience that now.

The experiences that the man is talking about in the above video should make much more sense.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
If consciousness carries over then the only way to experience physical death would be to be conscious in your consciousness. Because when we are alive, our senses are constantly interacting with the world. They are constantly picking up information about our environment. I can hear the keys clicking. I can feel the smooth surface as I type. I can see the words being written.

Do you mean that due to our distracted and interactive consciousness we are NOT fully conscious as we can be ??
Maybe just clarify a little, I'm pretty sure I know what you mean.

I'm not sure you mean to actually experience the sensations of physical death or the enhanced conscious feeling after.
From what I gather it seems like our conscious is held back and tied to our physical presence, when the physical presence is no more ie. death due to body stopping then this very consciousness gets released to its full capacity.- Hence, the man did mention the enhanced clarity in vision and sound that is not normally experienced in our normal state.
These feelings of enhanced perception have been mentioned by many others having gone through these after death experiences.

This theory of conscious is quite interesting and I've been relating to it in many aspects, since even physicists have now stated that the whole universe is a conscious- so it's no point trying to define it's limits.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Well the idea is to break away from the senses, thoughts and such for a bit and go completely into consciousness. Forget clarity, enhanced vision, enhanced sound, enhanced perception and such. Why clutter the experiment? Keep it simple. Be aware that you are aware, completely.

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I've tried this and I don't think it can get in as much clarity as the man explained.
To do this, it must be such that you tune in to your consciousness, eventually everything fades out until you can hear your own heart and ear drum beating. However, at the stage when these beats actually stop is when you would experience the maximum awareness of conscious.
But, we should all just try it now and again, as it can be interesting, satisfying and spiritual.

I can imagine that with comlete immersion into the consciousness the feelings of 'feel' are actually a lot 'real', ie. you don't just feel that you see something comforting or not but you actually know for sure where it belongs on the spectrum and this is without any thinking involved what so ever.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
There's a tuk in gurbani (probably many more) that say that we should be alive in spiritual consciousness and dead towards the world. Hope some one can find it for me. Thanks in advance.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
There's a tuk in gurbani (probably many more) that say that we should be alive in spiritual consciousness and dead towards the world. Hope some one can find it for me. Thanks in advance.

Astroboy ji,
There are in fact many shabads that state very similar to 'jivat marai har sio chit lai' ਜੀਵਤੁ ਮਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਏ
Those who focus their consciousness(chit) on the Lord remain dead towards the world, yet are still alive.

The one above is by Guru Amar Das Ji - P116.

It's actually a very powerful verse in numerous shabads that was picked up and discussed by Bhagat Singh Ji not long ago in another unrelated thread.

I will quote a few below from the different Guru's and Bhagats.

Page 153
ਜੀਵਤੁ ਮਰੈ ਮਹਾ ਰਸੁ ਆਗੈ ॥੨॥
Jīvaṯ marai mahā ras āgai. ||2||
One who remains dead while yet alive obtains the greatest happiness hereafter. ||2||
Guru Nanak Dev -

Page 147, Line 15
ਜੀਵਦਿਆ ਮਰੁ ਮਾਰਿ ਨ ਪਛੋਤਾਈਐ ॥
Jīvḏi▫ā mar mār na pacẖẖoṯā▫ī▫ai.
While you are alive,conquer death, and you shall have no regrets in the end.
Guru Nanak Dev -

Page 221, Line 3
ਉਲਟ ਭਈ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਿ ਜਾਗਿਆ ॥
Ulat bẖa▫ī jīvaṯ mar jāgi▫ā.
When I turned away, and became dead while yet alive, I was awakened.
Guru Nanak Dev -

Page 213, Line 13
ਜਾ ਕਉ ਰੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੈ ਜੀਵਤ ਸੋਈ ਮਰੈ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਤਰੈ ॥
Jā ka▫o re kirpā karai jīvaṯ so▫ī marai sāḏẖsang mā▫i▫ā ṯarai.
Those, unto whom the Lord shows His Mercy, remain dead while yet alive. In the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, they cross over the ocean of Maya.
Guru Arjan Dev

Page 245, Line 18
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਪਰਾਪਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਜੀਵਤਿਆ ਇਉ ਮਰੀਐ ॥
Gurmukẖ bẖagaṯ parāpaṯ hovai jīvṯi▫ā i▫o marī▫ai.
The Gurmukh obtains devotional worship of the Lord, and thus remains dead while yet alive.
Guru Amar Das

Page 139, Line 2
ਜੀਭੈ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਇਉ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰਣਾ ॥
Jībẖai bājẖahu bolṇā i▫o jīvaṯ marṇā.
to speak without a tongue-like this, one remains dead while yet alive
Guru Angad Dev

Page 327, Line 2
ਤਬ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਜਬ ਜੀਵਤ ਮੂਆ ॥
Ŧab jāni▫ā jab jīvaṯ mū▫ā.
When I became dead while yet alive, only then did I come to know the Lord.
Devotee Kabir

Page 449, Line 2
ਜੀਵਨ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਸੋ ਆਖੀਐ ਮਰਿ ਜੀਵੈ ਮਰੀਆ ॥
Jīvan mukaṯ so ākẖī▫ai mar jīvai marī▫ā.
Those who die, and remain dead while yet alive, are said to be Jivan Mukta, liberated while yet alive.
Guru Ram Das

Page 1166, Line 14
ਜਉ ਗੁਰਦੇਉ ਤ ਜੀਵਤ ਮਰੈ ॥੧॥
Ja▫o gurḏe▫o ṯa jīvaṯ marai. ||1||
By the Grace of the Divine Guru, one remains dead while yet alive. ||1||
Devotee Namdev

Page 1383, Line 15
ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਿਛਲ ਰਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਗਿਓਹਿ ਜੀਵਦੜੋ ਮੁਇਓਹਿ ॥
Farīḏā picẖẖal rāṯ na jāgi▫ohi jīvaḏ▫ṛo mu▫i▫ohi.
Fareed, if you do not awaken in the early hours before dawn, you are dead while yet alive.
Sekh Farid

As you can see this was re emphasised throughout the bani.
Guru Amar Das Ji however, stated it slightly more often than others.

Guru Nanak spoke about it as an awakening and explained it as a way to conquer death, thus attain liberation.

It is something, that one should just try doing. Not easy at all,- it's too easy to simply go through a physical death, as that just happens without control. But, when you try to detach mind and soul, then it becomes much harder as you try to stay attached to the body (to keep it and stay alive). On the other hand when your body(physical body) dies, it detaches without effort however conscious is still there.

Sat Kartar
Lucky Singh

Last edited by a moderator:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
God closes doors no man can open & God opens doors no man can close............

BUT the SGGS declares otherwise...........
Gurbani tells us...What "God" binds cna be opened/unwound by a Bhagat..BUT what a Bhagat BINDS/knots..god cannot open...release...

so this God/god must be 2 different entities..???because a BHAGAT is a MAN....

Note: Often what GURBANI declares is different form MOST of these "wise sayings" we pick up from OUTSIDE SGGS. Thus we have to go to SGGS first..and check it out...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
God closes doors no man can open & God opens doors no man can close............

BUT the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji declares otherwise...........
Gurbani tells us...What "God" binds cna be opened/unwound by a Bhagat..BUT what a Bhagat BINDS/knots..god cannot open...release...

so this God/god must be 2 different entities..???because a BHAGAT is a MAN....

The 1st saying is from some passages in the Bible, -revelations 3.7 and Isaiah 22.22.
Most quotes in the bible referring to God can be accepted by all of us and are not christian specific, just as shabads in the same way are not sikh specific.

The 2nd quote, I'm not sure exactly which shabad or where it's from.
I think the 'binding' is referring to attachment as such. The binding to worldly attachments is mentioned often.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM