• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is There A Sikh Teaching Equivalent To The Native Americans "Mitakuye Osin"?

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
I believe all humanity comes from the original parents (whoever created the first human being ... some say we come from apes, others say we have existed forever...either way, there is a time in history when the first human beings gave birth to another human being...hence I call them "the original parents" sometimes called Adam (means earth in Hebrew) and Eve (means Life in Hebrew).

Anyhoo, since we all originated from these parents, we are all related. As the Native Americans say "Mitakuye Osin". Which translates to "all beings are my relations".

I sometimes wonder if all the etiquette that exists in certain religions, telling men and women how to behave and not behave around each other is actually a test. Is it meant to finally lead us to a place where we say "all beings are my relations".

Is there anything in Sikhism that teaches we are all one family with humanity or even with all creation?

:happykudi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblYrWMGxT0

Oct 18, 2012
when at the beginning when nothing was created there was no duality, no ego and maya-time & space, no goodness and badness, no souls yet, no male or female yet, only there was God in an unmanifested form, nirgun.. many thought if god is in unmanifested form, then there must be no WILL in him to create.. Guru Nanak ji did explain, that the will to create is there. god was in this state in many millions ions years. when God manifested then the expanse of creation and play started.. maya- regions of time and space was created, and 3 gunas qualities. the immanent part of god Sargun created the whole creation.. After creation the lord did not left the creation and let the creation to run on it s own will. the lord is always there with the 3 principles in him, creating, sustaining at the same time and distroying at the end. so back to your question yes it is true that god is in everything, in and out.. there is ONE light in the whole humanity.. in sikhism we are taking the soul to be our true self, but not the body.. true manifestation of the soul takes place beyond par brahm, beyond mind and maya.. this is the reason why the destiny in sikhism is returning back to our true home such khand.. in this place there is no time, ego and duality, this means no male or female there. since sikhism rejects duality very much this is the reason why we did not talk much the origin of male and female. duality takes us to maya, and here is always death. Such Khand is the place where we will realise that all of us are actually spirit souls and are ONE.. only GOD is akal moorat, the eternal one.. there are no 3 eternal ones at the end, GOD, SOULS and MAYA. only God is eternal

SUCH KHAND-- true home- no duality male or female

http://www.gurbani.org/articles/webart11.htm

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I believe all humanity comes from the original parents (whoever created the first human being ... some say we come from apes, others say we have existed forever...either way, there is a time in history when the first human beings gave birth to another human being...hence I call them "the original parents" sometimes called Adam (means earth in Hebrew) and Eve (means Life in Hebrew).

Anyhoo, since we all originated from these parents, we are all related. As the Native Americans say "Mitakuye Osin". Which translates to "all beings are my relations".

I sometimes wonder if all the etiquette that exists in certain religions, telling men and women how to behave and not behave around each other is actually a test. Is it meant to finally lead us to a place where we say "all beings are my relations".

Is there anything in Sikhism that teaches we are all one family with humanity or even with all creation?

:happykudi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblYrWMGxT0

We're all related in nature, but only humans are capable of realising Waheguru. If I'm not mistaken native Americans have a similar view with regard to man and why all other creatures have been put around him/her.

namjiwankaur

SPNer
Nov 14, 2010
USA
Sat Nam _/|\_

but only humans are capable of realising Waheguru

Could you point me to where this is explained in by Guru? I would like to learn more.

I can't help but wonder many times, how we (people) think we know what is happening in the animal world (or plant and mineral world either). I remember when it was commonly animals have no emotions and live by instiinct alone.

Blessed bee (I see so much happening among bees to discount that creatures like bees live without emotion and intelligence so who knows in reality if they live without wisdom or ability to behold Truth). Just my opinion, I know there are many other opinions on this.

Oct 18, 2012
Sat Nam _/|\_

Could you point me to where this is explained in by Guru? I would like to learn more.

I can't help but wonder many times, how we (people) think we know what is happening in the animal world (or plant and mineral world either). I remember when it was commonly animals have no emotions and live by instiinct alone.

Blessed bee (I see so much happening among bees to discount that creatures like bees live without emotion and intelligence so who knows in reality if they live without wisdom or ability to behold Truth). Just my opinion, I know there are many other opinions on this.

yes it is true what you are saying because there is no weakness in god and his grace, they are still powerfull. they can also lift up dirty ones like dogs to heaven.. this is the power of the lord.. god s will is very powerfull. human birth we got it by past good actions.. so now is to run after mukti by earning naams.. no naams the whole human birth is wasted

Page 493, Line 14
ਮਾਣਸ ਜਨਮੁ ਪੁੰਨਿ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਧ੍ਰਿਗੁ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜਾਈ ॥
माणस जनमु पुंनि करि पाइआ बिनु नावै ध्रिगु ध्रिगु बिरथा जाई ॥
Māṇas janam punn kar pā▫i▫ā bin nāvai ḏẖarig ḏẖarig birthā jā▫ī.
Human birth is obtained through good actions; without the Name, it is cursed, totally cursed, and it passes away in vain.
Guru Ram Das - [SIZE=-1]view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM