• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Sikhism A Religion?

Harwinder

SPNer
Apr 4, 2011
OK for days now there is a question that's been bothering me. Is Sikhism a religion?
here is my reasoning for that. In Sikh faith it is said to believe that
there is no caste, creeds, "religion". All are equal correct,? So than why is it that Sikhism is considers a religion".

Some may argue that Sikhism is a way of life, Ok but that's what religion is, it has certain rules or teachings (for that matter) and sins you should not commit there for telling u "the way u should persue life".

OK than can we conclude that Sikhism is all and everything is Sikhism? Since we are all equal and therefore all religion's thru out the world are hence forth a part of Sikhism as well in a sense. (Willing to alberate just wanted the idea out)

Now a common observation is understood and that is, religion is man made, creed and caste as well.

So what is Sikhism? (Not beliefs) but category and its placement in this earth or universe for that matter.

Please help me organize this in my head. I wanna know your opinion and perspective.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
OK for days now there is a question that's been bothering me. Is Sikhism a religion?
here is my reasoning for that. In Sikh faith it is said to believe that
there is no caste, creeds, "religion". All are equal correct,? So than why is it that Sikhism is considers a religion".
No caste, creeds and religion are superior, is what sikhism preaches.It does not deny that these exist though. At a time when low casts were not even allowed into a temple is when the needs for equality came about, thus sikhism was later estabilished. Yes, it is considered a religion, but one that recognizes and accepts other faiths. Sikhism is not the end product of mixing all religions but it understands that none are superior.

Some may argue that Sikhism is a way of life, Ok but that's what religion is, it has certain rules or teachings (for that matter) and sins you should not commit there for telling u "the way u should persue life".
A way of life is what sikhism is. It's not just about a person that attends a gurdwara, as anyone can attend but this does not make one a sikh. We have the rehat maryada- a code of conduct for all.-this makes it a way of life. So, the khalsa way of life plays a huge role in sikhism. When one lives the khalsa way of life, they are known as true sikhs. Although a way of life does not imply it's a religion such as hippies or gays for eg....-as these don't attach themselves to any specific religion.

OK than can we conclude that Sikhism is all and everything is Sikhism? Since we are all equal and therefore all religion's thru out the world are hence forth a part of Sikhism as well in a sense. (Willing to alberate just wanted the idea out)
You would need to elaborate on that to clarify exactly what you mean. But, we as sikhs respect all religions and don't regard non sikhs as infidels or unpure as such.
Now a common observation is understood and that is, religion is man made, creed and caste as well.
So what is Sikhism? (Not beliefs) but category and its placement in this earth or universe for that matter.
Religion is man made and so is sikhism, there were no commandments or such coming down from the heavens or any commands from the voice of God as such. The place of sikhism in the universe makes us understand that the creator and creation are the One and true almighty lord. Sikhism sees the creator as being the truth and central origin of the whole universe. It doesn't place any religion as central and recognized above others in the universe. Sikhism doesn't say it is the centre of the universe, it says only One God is everything.

Please help me organize this in my head. I wanna know your opinion and perspective.

Hope that answers your question.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

Jan 9, 2012
"Religion is man made and so is sikhism, there were no commandments or such coming down from the heavens or any commands from the voice of God as such."

Lucky ji, that's just what I'm wrestling with here. Judaism doesn't fit your definition, as it claims precisely that commandments did come down from the Heavens - and that the entire nation of some 2 and a half million people personally experienced the actual voice and presence of God. Both Christianity and Islam agree that this is just what happened, and base their own existence and creed on it. Compare this to any other belief system (including Sikhi), which is basically the vision/experience of a single individual.

Aug 28, 2010
If we carefully analyse the teachings of SGGS we should be able to conclude about what is Sikhi.
Sikhi can not be confined to any ism or dharam.Although religion is very much different from Dharam as envisaed in sanatan Dharam.
Sikhi is different from Religion and Dharam both.Sikhi is direct communication with the Creator .Sikhi is complete surrenderance to GuRu (Not any God like that).The teachings of SGGS can elevate any Sikh to become like GuRoo.
Sikhi is based on the very fundamental concept of "JAISA SEWE TAISA HOWE" that one becomes the same whom one serves.
A quote from Gurbanee reveals as
"GuRoo SIKHu Sikhu GRoo Hae Eko GuR Updes Chalae" pp 444 sggs
Prakash.S.Bagga

BaljinderS

SPNer
Dec 29, 2011
To me it wouldn't make a difference if other people thought it was a religion or not. Its the underlying principles and values that are important. People will commonly refer to it as a religion because its difficult to use another word for it.

One thing I know for sure... that Sikhi is way of life... you live, breath and eat Sikhi. Your everyday actions,thoughts,values etc etc should be in line with Sikhi. I think you know what I mean. Only you can decide from your understanding what is these should be as there are no hard or fast rules in Sikhism.

Harwinder

SPNer
Apr 4, 2011
Thank you everyone for your input. From what I have concluded we can say that Sikhism is a way of life. Yet it is regarded as a reigion. Sikhism is your everyday doings. It is how you perform life. Like when we eat, we chew chew and swallo. Same as we breathe, inhale and exhale.

SIKH= to learn. This is greater than a religion, there is merely no word to define the teachings of the great guru's into a word but, just understand them. We are learning everyday for the betterment. Of oneself and a society.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Sikhism is life, it is learning, it is a code, it is a discipline, it is learning, it is knowledge, it is spirituality, it is physical discipline, it is mental discipline, it is compassion, it bravery, it is service, it is patience.........................after all this, it is a religion.

Harwinder

SPNer
Apr 4, 2011
"We" I feel must be removed from the vocabulary of a Sikh, we is the initiation of many conflict leading to pride. I am sure I have been an abuser of this word. By saying "we" it is given no room for the teachings of the guru's to grow sikhi.
how ever "we" used in a sense of humanity and all living things is the goal. Making all equal and one.
Do not leave a strong teaching of sikhi. To just a group of " of "we's.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
There is an interesting passage from the Dasm Granth that I think applies here. I know that the Dasam Granth is controversial and its authority disputed. The tenth Guru, Guru Gobind Singh reortedly said:

"...Now I narrate my own biography. God sent me in the world while I was absorbed in meditation. On the site of Hemkunt mountain, where the seven peaks shine in glory. That spot is known as Sapat Saring. It is where Pandav Kings practiced yoga. There, with great spiritual effort, I prayed to the timeless God. This way I meditated on God and two entities (God and I) became One. I worshiped God as He is my Mother and Father. I prayed and worshipped Him in many meditative positions. Since I meditated on God in such devotional way. God became very pleased with me. Then God showed Himself to me. By His command I was born in this world. I did not want to come in this world. My mind was immersed in God. Then God explained to me His purpose and sent me into this world with His directive.

Then God said, 'I establish thee as my son. You are to preach and create a religion. Go, spread this religion and stop people from doing unrighteousness and evil actions'. I stood up with my palms joined and bowing my head to God. I will only be able to create a religion in this world when You help me. This is the reason God established me and I was born in this world. I only repeat what God told me. I have no enmity with anyone. Those who call me God will fall into the pit of hell. Consider me as a humble servant of God and have no doubt about it. I am a servant of the Supreme Being and have come to witness the worldly play. I am telling you what God has told me. I will not remain silent on account of the fear of mortals.

I came to this world for this task. God sent me for the purpose of religion. Wherever you will spread this religion, evil and wicked will be eliminated. I have taken birth for this purpose. Let the holy men understand this completely. I have come to spread the divine religion, protect the devotees of God and annihilate (eliminate) all evils..."

- Dasam Granth Sahib ji, Vachitar Natak

I think its thought-provoking irrespective of the authority of the Dasam Granth.

The word religion comes from the Latin religio which means "to bind" or "to connect". Religion cannot be lived by oneself or for oneself. Religion therefore connects us with the human race at large and gives us a universal vision of reality. Sikhism certainly does this, I would say to a higher degree than many spiritual paths, and so in my opinion it is religion - pure religion; religion in its most exalted and truest form.

"...Be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves. For if any are hearers of the word and not doers, they are like those who look at themselves in a mirror; for they look at themselves and, on going away, immediately forget what they were like. But those who look into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and persevere, being not hearers who forget but doers who act—they will be blessed in their doing. If any think they are religious, and do not bridle their tongues but deceive their hearts, their religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to care for orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world..."

- James 1.22-27 (Holy Bible)

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Brother Vouthon thanks for your post. One comment,

I came to this world for this task. God sent me for the purpose of religion. Wherever you will spread this religion, evil and wicked will be eliminated. I have taken birth for this purpose. Let the holy men understand this completely. I have come to spread the divine religion, protect the devotees of God and annihilate (eliminate) all evils..."

- Dasam Granth Sahib ji, Vachitar Natak

With 1430 pages including Guru Gobind Singh ji's father, all previous Guru jis, the selected poetry from others, not saying an iota to this effect it behooves on us to not go on a tangent.

It perhaps clearly establishes the un-ending attacks on the purity of Sikhism thought as in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

I think its thought-provoking irrespective of the authority of the Dasam Granth.

There is nothing thought provoking other than that all others want us Sikhs to follow this plot as it lines up with their religious assumptions on one superiors from God and others as inferior or sub-superior. This is fundamentally and absolutely ruled out in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji other than metaphoric usage to address people who so believed.
Regards.

Feb 23, 2012
United Kingdom
Brother Vouthon thanks for your post. One comment,Regards.

My dear brother Ambarsaria mundahug

Thank you for your post!

As stated above, I really must admit of my complete ignorance in this respect ie the Dasam Granth. I raised it only because I had a faint memory of reading it in one of the books I have on Sikhi - this mention of Sikhi as being a "religion". Notice I said 'reportedly' the 10th Guru said this, not he said this.

I am not suggesting it is right or true. I simply meant that it was "thought-provoking" in the sense of bringing a different perspective into the mix.

I was not agreeing with it or giving my approval of it in any way, which I can't do anyways because I don't know enough lol :sippingcoffeemunda:

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
"Religion is man made and so is sikhism, there were no commandments or such coming down from the heavens or any commands from the voice of God as such."

Lucky ji, that's just what I'm wrestling with here. Judaism doesn't fit your definition, as it claims precisely that commandments did come down from the Heavens - and that the entire nation of some 2 and a half million people personally experienced the actual voice and presence of God. Both Christianity and Islam agree that this is just what happened, and base their own existence and creed on it. Compare this to any other belief system (including Sikhi), which is basically the vision/experience of a single individual.

I'm sorry but this is what I was intending to state. I wasn't defining any other religion but I was trying to define sikhism in the sense that there was no voice of god as in other faiths that defined sikhism.

Waheguru

Last edited:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh ji thanks for your post. One observation,
I'm sorry but this is what I was intending to state. I wasn't defining any other religion but I was trying to define sikhism in the sense that there was no voice of god as in other faiths that defined sikhism.

Without excessively generalizing about other religions I note the following,

What you follow:

• Sikhism, a teacher as in SGGS that you learn with
  • Others like Christianity and Islam: A messenger of God with God's message
Status of Religion Starters or those who laid foundation:

• Sikhism were from general public with wisdom but always emphasized to be the same as everyone else
    • They shared their own wisdom and elicited from others and included in SGGS
    • Wisdom to understand and live by
  • Others like Christianity and Islam:
    • Son of God or messenger of God
    • Message from God for all to listen and follow
I believe you are saying the same except I tried to describe in a different way.

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Yaar Punjabi ji welcome to spn and your post.
it is more then one religion

Are you saying Sikhism is more than one religion? If so you have to do little more explanation. As SRM definitely disagrees with you and it was a wisdom of some of the most brilliant Sikh minds of the times.
Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM