• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is Khalsa Sanatan?

taran0

SPNer
Oct 12, 2012
Do not get me wrong I love reading abotu the ancient devi devtey, i also read the bhagavad gita when I was 12 years old and found it most enlightnening, I atteneded many Krishna conciousness kirtans, but when I read Sukhmani Sahbi at the age 14 the pure essence of truth just grabbed me , it was like having a discussion with the Guru......

coming along there are some sanatanists which i belevie are trying to twist things, i understand teh nirmala and udasi orders ways as Kirpal Chand udasi was also present at the battle of bhangani with guru Gobind Singh ji, but I fear the Khalsa was not the type of Sanatan that we are led to believe by some.

Many Sanatanists like to claim that the Khalsa is an offshoot, a continuation or extension of the Hindu Sanatan Dharam that was prevalent before it. Sanatanists are quick to reference paintings and pictures or mentions of devtey and misconstrue it as affiliation, worship or propagation. A closer look is advised.

Guru Gobind Singh ji explained the creation of the Khalsa in the Bachittar Natak as a new beginning, one that was devoid of the ego, confusion and failure of Sanatan dharams that came before it.

In Bachittar Natak Guru Gobind Singh Ji narrates his conversation with God. Within this conversation Vaheguru describes the utter failure of Sanatan dharam that had come to be in the world before the Khalsa.
ਚੌਪਈ ॥
CHAUPAI

ਜਬ ਪਹਿਲੇ ਹਮ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਬਨਾਈ ॥ ਦਈਤ ਰਚੇ ਦੁਸਟ ਦੁਖਦਾਈ ॥
When I created the world in the beginning, I created the ignominious and dreadful Demons.

ਤੇ ਭੁਜ ਬਲ ਬਵਰੇ ਹ੍ਵੈ ਗਏ ॥ ਪੂਜਤ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਰਹਿ ਗਏ ॥੬॥
Who became mad with power and abandoned the worship of Supreme Purusha.6.

ਤੇ ਹਮ ਤਮਕਿ ਤਨਕ ਮੋ ਖਾਪੇ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਕੀ ਠਉਰ ਦੇਵਤਾ ਥਾਪੇ ॥
I destroyed them in no time and created gods in their place.

ਤੇ ਭੀ ਬਲਿ ਪੂਜਾ ਉਰਝਾਏ ॥ ਆਪਨ ਹੀ ਪਰਮੇਸੁਰ ਕਹਾਏ ॥੭॥
They were also absorbed in the worship of power and called themselves Ominipotent.7.

ਮਹਾਦੇਵ ਅਚੁੱਤ ਕਹਾਯੋ ॥ ਬਿਸਨ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਕੋ ਠਹਿਰਾਯੋ ॥
Mahadeo (Shiva) was called Achyuta (blotless), Vishnu considered himself the Supreme.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਆਪ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਬਖਾਨਾ ॥ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਜਾਨਾ ॥੮॥
Brahma called himself Para Brahman, none could comprehend the Lord.8.

ਤਬ ਸਾਖੀ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਅਸਟ ਬਨਾਏ ॥ ਸਾਖ ਨਮਿਤ ਦੇਬੇ ਠਹਿਰਾਏ ॥
Then I created eight Sakshis in order to give evidence of my Entity.

ਤੇ ਕਹੈ ਕਰੋ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਪੂਜਾ ॥ ਹਮ ਬਿਨ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ॥੯॥
But they considered themselves all in all and asked the people to worship them.9.

ਪਰਮ ਤਤ ਕੋ ਜਿਨ ਨ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਕਰਿ ਈਸਰ ਤਿਨ ਕਹੁ ਮਾਨਾ ॥
Those who did not comprehend the Lord, they were considered as Ishvara.

ਕੇਤੇ ਸੂਰ ਚੰਦ ਕਹੁ ਮਾਨੈ ॥ ਅਗਨਿ ਹੋਤ੍ਰ ਕਈ ਪਵਨ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਨੈ ॥੧੦॥
Several people worshipped the sun and the moon and several others worshipped Fire and Air.10.

ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪਾਹਨ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਾ ॥ ਨ੍ਹਾਤ ਕਿਤੇ ਜਲ ਕਰਤ ਬਿਧਾਨਾ ॥
Several them considered God as stone and several others bathed considering the Lord was of Water.

ਕੇਤਕ ਕਰਮ ਕਰਤ ਡਰਪਾਨਾ ॥ ਧਰਮ ਰਾਜ ਕੋ ਧਰਮ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥੧੧॥
Considering Dharmaraja as the Supreme representative of Dharma, several bore fear of him in their actions. 11.

ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਸਾਖ ਨਮਿਤ ਠਹਿਰਾਏ ॥ ਤੇ ਹਿਆਂ ਆਇ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਕਹਵਾਏ ॥
All those whom God established for the revelation of His Supremacy, they themselves were called Supreme.

ਤਾ ਕੀ ਬਾਤ ਬਿਸਰ ਜਾਤੀ ਭੀ ॥ ਅਪਨੀ ਅਪਨੀ ਪਰਤ ਸੋਭ ਭੀ ॥੧੨॥
They forgot the Lord in their race for supremacy. 12

(Bachittar Natak, Sri Dasam Granth)
So Vaheguru thus sent Guru Gobind Singh ji to start a new path as all that had come before had failed to propagate the truth. Guru Gobind Singh ji replied…
ਦੋਹਰਾ ॥
DOHRA
ਠਾਢ ਭਯੋ ਮੈ ਜੋਰਿ ਕਰ ਬਚਨ ਕਹਾ ਸਿਰ ਨਿਆਇ ॥
I stood up with folded hands and bowing down my head, I said:
ਪੰਥ ਚਲੈ ਤਬ ਜਗਤ ਮੈ ਜਬ ਤੁਮ ਕਰਹੁ ਸਹਾਇ ॥੩੦॥
The path (Panth) shall prevail only in the world, with THY ASSISTANCE."30.
So Guru Gobind Singh ji was born as the tenth form of Guru Nanak to change the history of the World and its people forever. Whereas people before were worshipping Devtey(Angels) or Rakhsas(Demons), or promoting their own worship, the Guru sought to change peoples ways
ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਔ ਬਿਸਨ ਜਪੇ ਤੁਹਿ ਕੋਟਿਕ ਰਾਮ ਰਹੀਮ ਭਲੀ ਬਿਧਿ ਧਿਆਯੋ ॥
Thou hast meditated on millions of Krishnas, Vishnus, Ramas and Rahims.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਜਪਿਓ ਅਰੁ ਸੰਭੁ ਥਪਿਓ ਤਹਿ ਤੇ ਤੁਹਿ ਕੋ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਨ ਬਚਾਯੋ ॥
Thou hast recited the name of Brahma and established Shivalingam, even then none could save thee.

ਕੋਟ ਕਰੀ ਤਪਸਾ ਦਿਨ ਕੋਟਿਕ ਕਾਹੂੰ ਨ ਕੌਡੀ ਕੋ ਕਾਮ ਕਢਾਯੋ ॥
Thou hast observed millions of austerities for millions of days, but thou couldst not be recompensed even for the value of a cowrie.

ਕਾਮਕੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਕਸੀਰੇ ਕੇ ਕਾਮ ਨ ਕਾਲ ਕੋ ਘਾਉ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਨ ਬਚਾਯੋ ॥੯੭॥
The Mantra recited for fulfillment of worldly desires doth not even bring the least gain and none of such Mantras can save from the blow of KAL.97.

ਕਾਹੇ ਕੋ ਕੂਰ ਕਰੈ ਤਪਸਾ ਇਨ ਕੀ ਕੋਊ ਕੌਡੀ ਕੇ ਕਾਮ ਨ ਐਹੈ ॥
Why doth thou indulge in false austerities, because they will not bring in gain of even one cowrie.

ਤੋਹਿ ਬਚਾਇ ਸਕੈ ਕਹੁ ਕੈਸੇ ਕੈ ਆਪਨ ਘਾਵ ਬਚਾਇ ਨ ਐਹੈ ॥
The cannot save themselves form the blow (of KAL), how can they protect thee?
He explains that if those higher beings or avatars could not save themselves from death then how they could save you.
Brahma, Shiva, Vishnu and Con*sort of Sachi (Indra) would ulti*mately fall in the noose of death.
(41, Sri Dasam Granth,)
Here guru Gobind Singh Ji talks of the Sanatan texts that were most revered at the time. He clearly encourages us to abandon the old sanatan texts.
ਪਰਮੇਸਰ ਨ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਪਹਿਚਾਨਾ ॥ ਮਮ ਉਚਾਰਿ ਤੇ ਭਯੋ ਦਿਵਾਨਾ ॥੧੬॥
None could comprehend the Lord, but instead became mad with `I-ness`.16.

ਪਰਮ ਤੱਤ ਕਿਨਹੂੰ ਨ ਪਛਾਨਾ ॥ ਆਪ ਆਪ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਉਰਝਾਨਾ ॥
Nobody recognized the Supreme Essence, but was entangled within himself.

ਤਬ ਜੇ ਜੇ ਰਿਖਿ ਰਾਜ ਬਨਾਏ ॥ ਤਿਨ ਆਪਨ ਪੁਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਚਲਾਏ ॥੧੭॥
All the great rishis (sages), who were then created, produced their own Smritis.17.

ਜੇ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਨ ਕੇ ਭਏ ਅਨੁਰਾਗੀ ॥ ਤਿਨਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕੀ ਤਿਆਗੀ ॥
All those who became followers of these smritis, they abandoned the path of the Lord.

ਜਿਨ ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨਨ ਠਹਿਰਾਯੋ ॥ ਸੋ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਨ ਕੇ ਰਾਹ ਨ ਆਯੋ ॥੧੮॥
Those who devoted themselves to the Feet of the Lord, they did not adopt the path of the Smritis.18.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਚਾਰ ਹੀ ਬੇਦ ਬਨਾਏ ॥ ਸਰਬ ਲੋਕ ਤਿਹ ਕਰਮ ਚਲਾਏ ॥
Brahma composed all the four Vedas, all the people followed the injunctions contained in them.

ਜਿਨ ਕੀ ਲਿਵ ਹਰਿ ਚਰਨਨ ਲਾਗੀ ॥ ਤੇ ਬੇਦਨ ਤੇ ਭਏ ਤਿਆਗੀ ॥੧੯॥
Those who were devoted to the Feet of the Lord, they abandoned the Vedas.19.

ਜਿਨ ਮਤਿ ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬਨ ਤਿਆਗੀ ॥ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਕੇ ਭਏ ਅਨੁਰਾਗੀ ॥
Those who abandoned the path of the Vedas and Katebs, they became the devotees of the Lord.
(Bachittar Natak, Dasam granth)
Guru Gobind Singh ji further makes his beleifs clear by making a very powerful statement in Bachittar Natak.
ਨਰਾਜ ਛੰਦ ॥
NARAAJ STANZA
ਕਹਿਓ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸੁ ਭਾਖਿ ਹੋਂ ॥ ਕਿਸੂ ਨ ਕਾਨ ਰਾਖਿ ਹੋਂ ॥
I say only that which the Lord hath said, I do not yield to any*one else.

ਕਿਸੂ ਨ ਭੇਖ ਭੀਜ ਹੋਂ ॥ ਅਲੇਖ ਬੀਜ ਬੀਜ ਹੋਂ ॥੩੪॥
I do not feel pleased with any par*tic*u*lar cos*tume, I sow the seed of God‘s Name.34.

ਪਖਾਣ ਪੂਜ ਹੋਂ ਨਹੀਂ ॥ ਨ ਭੇਖ ਭੀਜ ਹੋ ਕਹੀਂ ॥
I do not wor*ship stones, nor I have any lik*ing for a par*tic*u*lar guise.

ਅਨੰਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਗਾਇ ਹੋਂ ॥ ਪਰਮ ਪੁਰਖ ਪਾਇ ਹੋਂ ॥੩੫॥
I sing infin*ite Names (of the Lord), and meet the Supreme Purusha.35.

ਜਟਾ ਨ ਸੀਸ ਧਾਰਿਹੋਂ ॥ ਨ ਮੁੰਦ੍ਰਕਾ ਸੁ ਧਾਰਿ ਹੋਂ ॥
I do not wear mat*ted hair on my head, nor do I put rings in my ears.

ਨ ਕਾਨਿ ਕਾਹੂ ਕੀ ਧਰੋਂ ॥ ਕਹਿਓ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸੁ ਮੈ ਕਰੋਂ ॥੩੬॥
I do not pay atten*tion to any*one else, all my actions are at the bid*ding of the Lord.36.

ਭਜੋਂ ਸੁ ਏਕ ਨਾਮਯੰ ॥ ਜੁ ਕਾਮ ਸਰਬ ਠਾਮਯੰ ॥
I recite only the Name of the Lord, which is use*ful at all places.

ਨ ਜਾਪ ਆਨ ਕੋ ਜਪੋ ॥ ਨ ਅਉਰ ਥਾਪਨਾ ਥਪੋ ॥੩੭॥
I do not med*it*ate on any*one else, nor do I seek assist*ance from any other quarter.37.

ਬਿਅੰਤਿ ਨਾਮ ਧਿਆਇ ਹੋਂ ॥ ਪਰਮ ਜੋਤਿ ਪਾਇ ਹੋਂ ॥
I recite infin*ite Names and attain the Supreme light.

(Guru Gobind Singh ji, 137 — Sri Dasam Granth)
Why would Guru Gobind Singh ji make these statements if he was not trying to differentiate the Khalsa from others who came before and the traditions and actions of the Sanatan people who came before them?
There is no doubt that Guru Gobind Singh ji came to start a new panth that was concerned with justice and the propagation of the timeless Lord, who was not subject to birth or death.
ਕਾਲ ਪਾਇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਪੁ ਧਰਾ ॥ ਕਾਲ ਪਾਇ ਸ਼ਿਵਜੂ ਅਵਤਰਾ ॥
In due time Brahma appeared in phys*ical form; in due time Shiva incarnated;

ਕਾਲ ਪਾਇ ਕਰਿ ਬਿਸ਼ਨ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ਾ ॥ ਸਕਲ ਕਾਲ ਕਾ ਕੀਯਾ ਤਮਾਸ਼ਾ ॥੩੮੩॥
In due time Vishnu mani*fes*ted him*self; all this is the play of the Tem*poral Lord.383.

ਜਵਨ ਕਾਲ ਜੋਗੀ ਸ਼ਿਵ ਕੀਯੋ ॥ ਬੇਦ ਰਾਜ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਜੂ ਥੀਯੋ ॥
The Tem*poral Lord, who cre*ated Shiva, the Yogi; who cre*ated Brahma, the Mas*ter of the Vedas;

ਜਵਨ ਕਾਲ ਸਭ ਲੋਕ ਸਵਾਰਾ ॥ ਨਮਸ਼ਕਾਰ ਹੈ ਤਾਹਿ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥੩੮੪॥
The Tem*poral Lord who fash*ioned the entire world; I salute the same Lord.384.

ਜਵਨ ਕਾਲ ਸਭ ਜਗਤ ਬਨਾਯੋ ॥ ਦੇਵ ਦੈਤ ਜੱਛਨ ਉਪਜਾਯੋ ॥
The Tem*poral Lord, who cre*ated the whole world; who cre*ated gods, demons and yakshas;

ਆਦਿ ਅੰਤਿ ਏਕੈ ਅਵਤਾਰਾ ॥ ਸੋਈ ਗੁਰੂ ਸਮਝਿਯਹੁ ਹਮਾਰਾ ॥੩੮੫॥
He is the only one form the begin*ning to the end; I con*sider Him only my Guru.385.

(Kabeyo Bach Benti Chaupai, 2259, Sri Dasam Granth,)
The Guru references the devtey in his literature for the purposes of historical education, and examples of the past to be learnt from as they were after all our ancestors, whereas the Sanatanists mistranslate this as a way of propagating the same old Sanatan ways the Guru came to break us from. Some Sanatanists also want us to say that we are Hindu and shoudl follwo the Hindu ways.

ਕਰਹੁ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਪੰਥ ਤੀਸਰ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸਾ
The Third Panth(besides Hinduism and Islam) called Khalsa Panth has entered in the world
ਜਗਹਿ ਸਿੰਘ ਜੋਧੇ ਧਰਹਿ ਨੀਲ ਭੇਸਾ
All Warrior Singhs are enlightened (spiritually) and have worn Blue Robes.
Guru Gobind Singh - Ugradanti Sahib.

ਦੁਹੂੰ ਪੰਥ ਮੇਂ ਕਪਟ ਵਿਦਿਆ ਚਲਾਨੀ
In Both Religion(Hindu and Islam) the hypocrisy and fraud education is Prospering
ਬਹੁੜ ਤੀਸਰਾ ਪੰਥ ਕੀਜੇ ਪ੍ਰਧਾਨੀ
Make Khalsa third panth pivotal and Dominant
— UgarDanti, Chand Six, Verse 17-18)

ਜੋ ਉਪਜੇ ਮਰੇ ਤਾਹੀ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਨਾ ਕੀਜੇ
Do not worship one who born or die
ਅਟਲ ਪੁਰਖ ਅਕਾਲ ਕਾ ਨਾਮ ਲੀਜੈ
and worship one Akal (Timeless), Atal (undestroyable), immortal Lord
— UgarDanti, Chand Fifth, Verse 13-16)
We do not disrespect those who came before us as Vaheguru says that he made all of the devi, devtey, gandharvs, sidhas, mohameds, budhas, yakshas, rakhsash, peoples etc,

but Guru Gobind Singh ji’s mission was one to break people from the old Sanatan ways and to embrace the beyond-Sanatan, Timeless AAD SACH, JUGAAD SACH, HAIBHEE SACH, NANAK HOSI BHEE Sach – eternal sacha pitaa gareeb nivaaj, SADA EK JOTYANG - Sri Akaal Purkh VAHEGURU!

Ek Pita Ekas ke Hum Baarik !

NANAK AMRIT EK HAI - DOOJA AMRIT NAHEE!

Pul CHuk Maaf

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM