• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Is It A Sin For A Sikh To Marry A Non-Sikh?

binder

SPNer
Jan 9, 2008
Sat Siri Akal,
The most important thing to remember is to have good human values. In my opinion good human values are above any religion. It doesn't matter who marries who, if they both have good values they can find a way out. And no, it is not a sin to marry out of caste or religion. If God is one and we are all equal then how can it be a sin........ Believing in god and following religion are 2 different things in my opinion. The reason being, religion is influenced by human politics. people take and shun what they think and believe is convienent to them.
But again, I wouldn't like my 2 sons to marry a white, black or a muslim. Purely because it is easier to settle in your own culture. As it is one has to compromise and work together towards making the marriage work and it may became less stressful if both the partners were from the same culture and religion to give them basic similarity. Marrying a muslim means converting into another religion which I don't agree with.

Lucy Ahmed

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
Malaysia
Is It A Sin For A Sikh To Marry A Non-Sikh?

May I say:

Is it a sin for the world to have any other religion other than Sikh?

If the answer is "No", then the answer to the above I presume is "No" too.

But, it would be easier and be of less conflict would the couple be practicing the same religion.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
I don't know if it is a sin or not but if we follow Guru Gobind Singh ji sikhi then we should also follow his 52 HUKUMs which he gave at nanded Hzur sahib "one of which was a sikh father must marry his daughter with a sikh boy".

And not a Sikh mother must marry her son to a Sikh girl?;)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
According to Sikhism what people believe in, it is as per His Ordinance, so how it can be sin to be of other faith than Sikhism?
. Sin word is very strong word, I think it should not be used in context of inter marriages. Most of inter faith marriages do not survive; however, there are a few examples of successful marriages too, in that case one partner accepts partners religion. In case of Muslims, it is really difficult issue. Among Hindu and Sikhs it is more common.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
PK 70 wrote:
Amitabh Bachan's mother belonged to Sikhism but she dumped it, Geeta Bali though married Shammi Kapoor but kept her faith alive by having every year "Akhand path" in her Bombay house, all agreed with her and appreciated her efforts. Now do you care about the first one? I dont. For the second, Yes I do.
I have a personal incident in relation to this. During the 1947 partition riots, a person from my maternal village (technically that would be my village Mama) saw a very beautiful girl from a Muslim Nai Family. He was visiting Punjab from Malaysia (then called Malaya and under the British). It was love at firts sight and furthermore he saved the girl from being murdered by a frenzied sikh mob. To cut the story short he eloped with the girl and came back to Malaya and married her. She became Sikh, anand karaj and all. Her four sons and two daughters were brought up as perfect Gursikhs and she was Pardhaan of the local Sukhmani Society/isteri satsang for six decades...when time came for her death..she whispered to her eldest son that she had written down her last wishes and the paper was in her perosnal drawer. What she ahd written was...Circumstances forced me to live the life i have lived. I did whatever was required by the religion of my husband - but my own religion in my heart is Islama nd i have always kept that alive. Thus i want to be buried as per Islamic traditions as i am a muslim. She was 86 when she died and she had married at age 14. The Family ignored her last wishes as they were afraid of the backlash - both from the local sikhs and muslims....so she was cremated according to sikh rites....I respect the woman for her conviction. She learnt the Gurbani for her family..and prayed in secret the islamic way for herself..is that deception ?/ I dont think so...
Gyani jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh ji

This about your story. If she cannot come out and say I am a Muslim and I will practice Islam then it is out of fear. Plus she made a assumption that her husband will not accept her as a Muslim. Hiding something this big only destroys who you are. The fact she told her eldest son this and had written the letter shows that she lived in misery. She wanted to speak out and say I am a Muslim but she could not out of fear. This just creates stress, which is not good for a persons health.

To write on the question that started this thread; it comes down to who you put first the Guru or your person needs.

May 24, 2008
Amarsanghera

Read this article by Atheists. Maybe then, you ll be able to see what I was talking about.
Study+of+Different+Religions+by+Atheists+enlarged.jpg (image)

And please explain to me in more detail in what you mean by these lines.

'the fragrance of a flower remains as long as it blooms
a plastic flower never has a frangrace, though it might be more radiant'
Dear Veer ' SINGH ' ji,
WJKK WJKF
It is an excellent link u have provided . I request all the other members to propagate this link as much as possible & continue to find more material such as this one .

Simmi

SPNer
Nov 17, 2006
Bahrain
Q1) Is it a sin for a Sikh to marry a non-Sikh even though he stays in Sikhism and his partner remains in her religion?

Q2) Is it a sin for a Sikh to marry a non-Sikh and converts to his partner's religion?

marriage should be based on love & not on religion. If two people of different religion deeply love each other, they will not demand their partner to convert their religion.Infact respect each others religion.

We are born in a specific religion because God wants us to be in that religion by converting your religion you are going against the wishes of the Almighty.

Just marrying a person who is non sikh is not a sin this is what I feel, maybe i am wrong.

I have seen a couple sikh husband & christian wife. They visit both to the Gurudwara as well as the church and they have 2 lovely kids who follow both religions & actively participate in both religious activities. I can say this is love and not sin just because a sikh has married a non sikh. Love is not sin.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Hi.
Love is God not a sin.:) One is always marry to another human being not because of his religion,colour,origion or any other reason but just love and live together in this God given world.

Sin word is created by human being to scare you from the God. God loves you know matter what your actions are. Never punishes any one. Simply understand that the old saying:"what you sow ,so shall you will reap"

On the top of every thing if any one is talking about the God is biggest liar. Like river can not talk about the ocean. No one can creat,suppose,or explain about the God. We are tiny tiny little things on this earth and imagine understanding the God when we have not understood ourselevs yet.

We decide and differnciate the people by thier relegion through our beliefs .But all religion are the same that there is one God. God has no religion then why should one worry about what people says.You know why ? if all preachers start preaching one God and love in thier preaching they will no job left to organize their religion self made manuplated teachings.

So we become slaves of their teaching which make us hate other religion because they are not in you group, Many wars are going on and happend in the past when different religion people were hunted down because of their faith of worshiping the God was not the same .

But it is more tolerent now than before but still very strong in uneducated countries.

Love is above all.

Good luck
Jaspi

Pyar_Is_Life

SPNer
Sep 30, 2008
i totally agree with obhanstar =]
why should religion matter when it comes to love?
i guess its just easier to marry into your ethnicity and religion
but i really dont think its a bad thing
as long you respect the person and they respect you back
that's all that matters:D

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Pyar or love when it happens with any soul is a really eternal . One do not have to prove by marring other. That is not the end of love . Love ,it makes no differences what group or faith you have come from as love is main teachings of all the religions.Any institutional approach towards any religion has caused vast indifference among the society and division by forgetting that there is one God and Love is the only truth exist.

But if you are making a choice by your liking or infatuations one has to be very serious to commit life long union considering not only love weather the couple is ready to accept each other's traditions and life styles.

Because after some time when you hit the real life as a married couple ,the love evaporate and more responsibilities surround you.That is where your real love colors will appear when unforeseen problems start rising from family and financial problems. You better be rich otherwise love will not be served in the plate to live and feed your children's.

Jaspi

Jul 28, 2006
I agree with you. However, I also feel that most of us(Sikhs) should start concentrating on the Gurbani and understanding the deeper meaning behind the Guru Granth as all the answers to problems are already provided by our Gurus.

Unless i am wrong, Sikhs were asked to keep hair to differentiate them as fighter army, and protect them during wars. However, with changing times and age - do we need to stick to the surface or delve deeper and attain more spirituality is my question.

I have seen many sikhs(with hair and following gurudwara) who are found in moslim mosques seeking help for their personal matters and my question is where is our FAITH? All of them follow the faith strongly as per them..

<<<<Indivisual choices have limits.You cannot say that each and eveything as indivisual choice.>>>>

i really could not comprehend what you are trying to convey. Could you please explain.

<<<<LOL I never said that sikh boys are under peer presuure to cut their hair.No sikh parents
with religious mentality could even think of seeing their son without turban either you don't understand my posts or you just mix it up.>>>

i understood your posts. We had a discussion where you said that in order to get married to "modern" sikh girls, sikh boys were under pressure to get hair/beard cut. On the other hand you say that they have pressure form their family.

i am not denying that there might or might not be pressure. It once again comes to personal choices. You make choices and also accept the consequences.

<<Most of the women voluntary do it in India.Just look at any inter religious marriage and you will find that women gradually start practising their husband's faith even without pressure.That's why inter religious marriage for daughteris unacceptable for most parents>>>

if its voluntary then why is the cartoon chiding the man?

May 24, 2008
I agree with you. However, I also feel that most of us(Sikhs) should start concentrating on the Gurbani and understanding the deeper meaning behind the Guru Granth as all the answers to problems are already provided by our Gurus.

Unless i am wrong, Sikhs were asked to keep hair to differentiate them as fighter army, and protect them during wars. However, with changing times and age - do we need to stick to the surface or delve deeper and attain more spirituality is my question.

I have seen many sikhs(with hair and following gurudwara) who are found in moslim mosques seeking help for their personal matters and my question is where is our FAITH? All of them follow the faith strongly as per them..
Sonia Ji , I quite don't agree with you . Sikhs were supposed to keep hair because the Gurus wished Sikhs to be UNIQUE , DIFFERENT from the exisiting Hindus . IMHO the Gurus had the example of Buddhists before them , who despite remaining the religion of majority of Indians ( 1200 years , from 400BC to 800 AD , 80% of Indians followed Buddhism ) which is a very long period considering that modern Indian history is just 3,500 years old , starts from 1500 BC with the advent of Aryans from Persia ( Iran ) got driven away from India , rest absorbed back into what is known as the SEA OF BRAHMINSM . The Gurus wished that a strong community of UNIQUE SIKHS should flourish , the way to keep them free from influence of prevailing Brahminism ( not getting absorbed in it ) was to make their Unique identity which was SAABAT SOORAT . This is to be remembered that Sikhs have only 5% of their Gurbani & beliefs advocating use of arms , that too only in times of protecting a weak or self-defence . There is so much spirituality enshrined in holy Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji that I will advocate anybody willing to have some spirituality to go through GURU GRANTH DARPAN by Prof.Sahib Singh Ji . It is simply suicidal & misleading to advocate that Sikhs were formed as a warrior army to protect Hindus , it is simply the BIGGEST LIE . Sikhs were formed to have a community free from ill-effects of Brahminism like CASTISM , GENDER-BIAS ,IDOL-WORSHIP , BRAHMIN WORSHIP , SUPERSTITIONS & LACK OF CLEAR IDEOLOGY ( these faults are infact increasing by the day ) . Regarding Sikhs with hair going to graves , Pirs ( not mosques , they are not allowed to go there ) those Sikhs do not know the ABC of Sikhism , BTW can you spell the names of our TEN GURUS in sequence & contents of Sikh Rehat Maryada ? This is the condition of our knowledge regarding Sikhism & we keep raising wrong questions . If we do not wish to follow Sikhism , nobody in this world is forcing you to follow it you are always welcome to leave Sikhism & adopt Hinduism ( Brahminism ) , you never need any excuses .

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Pyar or love when it happens with any soul is a really eternal . One do not have to prove by marring other. That is not the end of love . Love ,it makes no differences what group or faith you have come from as love is main teachings of all the religions.Any institutional approach towards any religion has caused vast indifference among the society and division by forgetting that there is one God and Love is the only truth exist.

But if you are making a choice by your liking or infatuations one has to be very serious to commit life long union considering not only love weather the couple is ready to accept each other's traditions and life styles.

Because after some time when you hit the real life as a married couple ,the love evaporate and more responsibilities surround you.That is where your real love colors will appear when unforeseen problems start rising from family and financial problems. You better be rich otherwise love will not be served in the plate to live and feed your children's.

Jaspi

Jaspi ji,

It saddens me to think that anybody could think this way. I have been married for 20 years now, we have two teenage boys also and my love for my wife if anything has just grown stronger over the years.

Love evaporating after years of marriage, no no not at all!

All relationships are bound to have ups an downs, I know that all of mine have had, but a strong relationship can and does survive almost anything.

It all comes down to respect really.

My wife is not only my wife, she is a human, her own human with her own thoughts and feelings. I too am not merely her husband, I am also my very own human, with my own thughts and feelings. Realis this simple truth and all problems can be countered. As to being rich, naaa that is not even a requirement at all.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Wahegur Ji.

Yes. you are right but expressing the same what I wrote making a differences to marry some one with love or by infatuations. .

The mutual respect is very well explained in Gurbani to respect each other as you respect your self.

Even it is mentioned not to criticize the women" Jo ko manda akhea ,jis jamen rajan"

The true love has nothing to do with ups and down in their journey of life. It continue to flourish.

Jasoi

Jaspi ji,

It saddens me to think that anybody could think this way. I have been married for 20 years now, we have two teenage boys also and my love for my wife if anything has just grown stronger over the years.

Love evaporating after years of marriage, no no not at all!

All relationships are bound to have ups an downs, I know that all of mine have had, but a strong relationship can and does survive almost anything.

It all comes down to respect really.

My wife is not only my wife, she is a human, her own human with her own thoughts and feelings. I too am not merely her husband, I am also my very own human, with my own thughts and feelings. Realis this simple truth and all problems can be countered. As to being rich, naaa that is not even a requirement at all.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sometimes I wonder if the question, Is it a Sin to Marry a Non-Sikh, has been answered? Most replies really are addressing whether it is wise, prudent, respectful of family and tradition to marry outside of religion.

But is it a sin? What is the concept of sin in Sikhi?

Feb 19, 2007
Delhi India
Sikhism only points out to undesirable acts such as:

1. Accumulating ill gotten wealth
  2. Having adulterous relationships.
  3. Killing or illtreating girl child.
  4. Doing ninda
  5. Being tyrannical to the weak
  6. Discrimination based on caste creed or religion etc
These too can be corrected by constant Simran or Naam Jap over a period of time and accumulated filth on soul can be washed away by this process.

As far as marrying non sikhs is concerned, the Amritdharis are told during baptism
that the spouse too should be an Amritdhari. So if the person is already married then he/she should bring the spouse along and get baptised together or if in future he/she marries a non amritdhari then both should be again baptised together.
As per SRM there is code of conduct for Amritdharis which should not be violated and if knowingly or unknowingly violated the person should present himself/herself before Panj Pyaras and ask for forgiveness and take the prescribed punishment.

So for Amritdharis marriage should be as per above conditions. For non Amritdharis, I am not aware of any conditions other than being faithful to ones spouse.

jasi

SPNer
Apr 28, 2005
canada
Wahe Guru ji ka Kahlsa,Whahe Guru Ji ki Fateh.

It is very obvious to see our generations breaking the old beliefs in cast system which restrict any one to love another human being because he or she belongs to other cast..

Our hypocrisies in practices which has already divided our community to this level that our worshiping places (GIRUDWAR S) are being built based on certain casts group.

More old beliefs are being shunned and our old priests are being stunned with the progress being developed to be all one human beings.

The day is not far when people will be judged and treated according to their deeds than the birth.

But the philosophy and teachings our GURU Nanak Dev Ji that " EK NOOR SE SABH KUCH UPJIA,KAUN BHALE OR MANDE" has slowly being eliminated.

More divisions in Gurudwara and families are on rise because we are approaching reality
to understand what we are taught is not what is being practices in our communities

It is enough to realize that masssive sufferings by lower casts has been put to sufferings in Hindu India by their practices. Surprisingly it is still being carried on.

Here come Guru Nanak Dev Ji and Guru Gobindh Singh Ji to dismantlement of century old cast system.But still creeping in and practices the cast system to restrict our thought to oneness.

Jaspi.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I appreciate your replies harbhansji and jaspi for different reasons. Also I think the way that the situation of amirtdhari is unique was explained very well.

My question persists...usually sin is translated as paap or as kurehit. The words connote somewhat different notions. So does one accumulate paap? Is one guilty of kurehit? Perhaps overly technical of me but is it paap/kurehit if one marries a non-Sikh?

Or is the answer that neither word for sin applies to this question.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: