• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Introduction To The Philosophy Of Religion

21khalsa13

HRH
SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
on earth
Re: Introducing Philosophy of Religion...

etinder said:
this is one topic very much dear to me
:whisling: ong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firstly, i'd like congratulate on this fantastic site
it's seriously overdue
A serious attempt to open up sikhi's true teachings
good to see philosophy from all over the world included

like etinder this topic is very close to my heart.
jaap,

not to be too contriversial on first time here but I feel this is something that modern sikhi is for some reason overlooking.
but if this thread is addressed with the correct intent and methodology, it will put sikhi at the heart of the world debate on science, god, and religion.

guru nanak when he first came out of the water he said 'ek ongkar satnam'
roughly translated from sanskrit means ' there is one true name of god=> ong'
in western philosophy that is called NLP neuro linguistic programming.
very similar to the hindu's shabd yoga. basis is on sound wave theory of the world, ie, everything in the world is wave form , light, energy, heat sound etc... we can interact with these fields with our own thoughts, intentions and desires as they are wave form also. so basic theory is that for a human to manifest anything in life his mind must totally absorbed by the object of intention. (very very basic model)
the big bang theory states that first there was nothing/ everything unmanifest then bang happened creation began.
in the bible it says first was the word of god then....
in the vedas some theory.
scientists have same theory again
what is this word??? => ong/aum (ek ongkar satnam) meant to be like vibration echo of big bang
so every new thread STARTS WITH AUM.
for example all religions have this sound in the basic make up
aum/ram in hindu philsophy
hum in the tibet buddhists
amen in the christian prayer
amin in the muslim prayer
western sciences big bang=> more like a subtle echo in the realm of god.

can you see where I am pointing
so when Guru Nanak dev jee said ek ongkar satnam.
he throw down the gauntlet to the worlds religion
we are all part of the same being, energy, life
only language and culture is different hence differences in religion
we should not be sitting here debating all the differences but look at all we have in common.
we should live to highest ideals. everyone knows them whether he be muslim, sikh, hindu, aethist. you can't take the god out of anybody.
if we infuse our mind with the true name of god we will acheive gods blessings.
waheguru nam jahag hai. the waheguru's name is your vehicle
wahegurus isn't the satnam that we should jaap
that is a realisation WOW! when you start to realise god in everything everywhere, i mean in everything. then it's like wa he guru. also part of cleansing process called auji breathing.

so here goes head here ready to get chopped if I said anything not quite correct. but i feel this with all my life and being.
why when guru nank gave one important instruction to all seekers of god NAAM JAAP.
he even gave us the true name to JAAP,
Compare with kabir who had to go to all lengths to hear the correct pronuctions of the lord's vibrations.

i hope this can stimulte some debate into a very important matter for all of us
spirituality is being attacked from all directions, capitilism, communism, science, fundamental groups etc.... time we spiritual peoples around the world unite, shake hands, hug, share love around the world take the rightful heritage of this world which has been built on the chests of all our forefathers, and out of the hands of this people who kill, rape, maniputled us and the world for their own agenda's

lots of love
21 khalsa 13
ekhe khalsa tera

Sep 11, 2005

A killer kills when society becomes clever and unbalanced , and the killer feels insecured .

A Rapist rapes not because he is doing intentionally but its a natural process , but to avoide it , Accept reality and understand each and every human being .

Anyone manipulates when , people and his surrounding environment becomes too clever and selfesh .

Hey , I forgot One thing , If people believe that what ever happens , it happens by the command of God , They Why Complain .????

sharonjheeta

SPNer
Nov 22, 2006

Hey etinder, thought what you wrote was fantastic! Very enlightening, I am scientific minded. Evolution in my mind did happen but where this fits with with the religion i am not so sure........do you know where i could find information regarding this?

Thanks,

sharon

jogi13

SPNer
Jun 7, 2007
Re: Introducing Myself

Gurfateh

Dear Khalsaji

A few days ago I joined this SPNCommunity and wish to briefly introduce myself.

I am a retired Nuclear Physicist. My main research interest was in Proton Induced X-rays however my main interests now are Sikh Philosophy, listening to Gurbani Kirtan, photography and travel. I am currently planning to write a book on traditional and cultural rituals associated with Sikh Weddings. I will therefore be grateful for any directions, information and help with finding resources.

I am truly impressed with several of the ‘posting’ presented under various ‘threads’. Well done…………I would like to take this opportunity to thank the SPN Administrator and contributors for their interesting thoughts, expressions and knowledge of Sikhism.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Let us jointly and dispassionately find out the truth about the real authorship of Shri Dasam Granth Saheb as lot of controversy going on about this holy scripture.

Dear Dr. ji,

Guru fateh.

Can you pls elaborate the above and tell us what you mean by that?

Do you think Guru Gobind Singh ji gave the name Dasam Ganth as a seperate book than SGGS ji> If so then why? If not then who gave this misnomer and should it be used as another Granth of Sikhi?

Thanks

Tejwant

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Gur fateh jogi13 ji

I have located a number of sites on Sikh weddings and will edit this post later and list them for you. Until then, you can go to a web address on the sikhnet.com web site and find a number of Sikh weddings videos and photo albums.

Here is the url that will take you right to the archive of wedding videos, photos and blogs.

Search the SikhNet Website

The web master Gumustuk Singh has photographed and captured on film a number of weddings of friends, and even his own wedding. I can't remember if you have to register as a Sikhnet member to download the videos. He has even posted entire wedding albums on FLICKR.com, a media hosting site where everything is available as public access.

These are from the Espanola, New Mexico Gurdwara and the congregation are members of the Western Khalsa. 3HO Sikhs. This will give you a cultural perspective.

If you write to Gumustuk and tell him you are doing research, he may even find other resources for you.

There is something wonderful about wedding albums-- even when you don 't even know the couple and their family. So your research is going to be a lot of fun.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

etinder ji and 21 khalsa 13 ji,

More on the point of this thread, I just want to commend both of you for sharing your excitement across the vast cyber-space on a topic that is both mystical and real. Only Naam could be both.

It is really magical the way, etinder, you said so much in just a line or two - Jaap - and your words called forth the sound of energy racing across a time, maybe the sound of vibrations that echo when a universe is suddenly willed into material being. And 21 khalsa 13 (do you want us to use a nickname?) proceeds to lay out all the possible ways in which the idea and sound of creation can be understood, analyzed, compared and contrasted, spiritually and scientificaly.

Only the Sikh path has the intellectual foundation to examine the spiritual and the scientific within a single embrace so that both can be examined at the same time. This means that scientific understanding and spiritual truths do not have to be in opposition.

I don't know how this would work in terms of our discussions. But there is no reason for you to worry about having your head chopped off. It just isn't necessary. The thread has started out with an open-mindedness, and that invites a more liberrated discussion than has been the case on other threads.

Good luck to everyone on this thread.

jogi13

SPNer
Jun 7, 2007

Dear aad0002

Gurfateh

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Infact I visited Sikhnet this morning and as you rightly state, noted many interesting Sikh wedding rituals. I will contact the web master Gumustuk Singh and ask for his help.

Perhaps more remarkable would be to get hold of 'rituals' from olden days that are going out of favour. Any help in that area will be much appreciated.

Thaks again

Jogi13

bkchatha

SPNer
Feb 27, 2008

dear 21 khalsa 13 ji,
fantastic thoughts, i am very impressed by your views and would like to learn more from you.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.

Dear: Sharon Jheeta
Though no one has made me their 'Officially Sanctioned Guru' - yet (modesty aside, I only want to fulfill a little Promise that I made - To God); I can enlighten you this much:
Both our Bodies - and our Souls - are both in a constant state of evolution; just as are those of other beings on other Planets orbiting around other Stars, in other Galaxies, etc., etc.
I asked God 'what is this Life thin all about' and that was part of It's (Hirm, to borrow from Ching Hai) Answer; believe me or not - as I said, I mean well, and any Ego I ever had was Destroyed as I Stood Before and Comprehended The Majesty, etc., etc..
Love, Jimbo

sajjad

SPNer
Jan 6, 2009

dear all
my name is aman. my religion is islam but im very interested to know about sikhism.im confuse between sikhism & hinduism.r they both 2 parts of one religion or totally seperate religions?.i would also like to know about baba guru nanak.is he a god or just a messenger of god?. so many similiarquestions r there which attract to tjis valueable site so i hope that u people will help me in this regards.

regard
aman khan

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

dear all
my name is aman. my religion is islam but im very interested to know about sikhism.im confuse between sikhism & hinduism.r they both 2 parts of one religion or totally seperate religions?.i would also like to know about baba guru nanak.is he a god or just a messenger of god?. so many similiarquestions r there which attract to tjis valueable site so i hope that u people will help me in this regards.

regard
aman khan

aman khan ji
welcome to SPN, here is what our Guru says about who we are( You can read Translation to figure out the message)
ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਉ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਉ
Pūjā kara▫o na nivāj gujāra▫o.
I do not perform Hindu worship services, nor do I offer the Muslim prayers.

ਏਕ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਲੇ ਰਿਦੈ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਉ
Ėk nirankār le riḏai namaskāra▫o. ||3||
I have taken the One Formless Lord into my heart; I humbly worship Him there. ||3||

ਨਾ ਹਮ ਹਿੰਦੂ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਨ
Nā ham hinḏū na musalmān.
I am not a Hindu, nor am I a Muslim.

ਅਲਹ ਰਾਮ ਕੇ ਪਿੰਡੁ ਪਰਾਨ
Alah rām ke pind parān. ||4||
My body and breath of life belong to Allah - to Raam - the God of both.( Means we belong to one Creator called with different names) ||4||

Here is Guru Nanak expresses what He is

ਹਉ ਢਾਢੀ ਵੇਕਾਰੁ ਕਾਰੈ ਲਾਇਆ
Ha▫o dẖādẖī vekār kārai lā▫i▫ā.
I was a minstrel, out of work, when the Lord took me into His service.

ਰਾਤਿ ਦਿਹੈ ਕੈ ਵਾਰ ਧੁਰਹੁ ਫੁਰਮਾਇਆ
Rāṯ ḏihai kai vār ḏẖarahu furmā▫i▫ā.
To sing His Praises day and night, He gave me His Order, right from the start.

ਢਾਢੀ ਸਚੈ ਮਹਲਿ ਖਸਮਿ ਬੁਲਾਇਆ
Dẖādẖī sacẖai mahal kẖasam bulā▫i▫ā.
My Lord and Master has summoned me, His minstrel, to the True Mansion of His Presence.

ਸਚੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਪੜਾ ਪਾਇਆ
Sacẖī sifaṯ sālāh kapṛā pā▫i▫ā.
He has dressed me in the robes of His True Praise and Glory.

ਸਚਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਭੋਜਨੁ ਆਇਆ
Sacẖā amriṯ nām bẖojan ā▫i▫ā.
The Ambrosial Nectar of the True Name has become my food.

ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਖਾਧਾ ਰਜਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ
Gurmaṯī kẖāḏẖā raj ṯin sukẖ pā▫i▫ā.
Those who follow the Guru's Teachings, who eat this food and are satisfied, find peace.

ਢਾਢੀ ਕਰੇ ਪਸਾਉ ਸਬਦੁ ਵਜਾਇਆ
Dẖādẖī kare pasā▫o sabaḏ vajā▫i▫ā.
His minstrel spreads His Glory, singing and vibrating the Word of His Shabad.

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚੁ ਸਾਲਾਹਿ ਪੂਰਾ ਪਾਇਆ ੨੭ ਸੁਧੁ
Nānak sacẖ sālāhi pūrā pā▫i▫ā. ||27|| suḏẖu
O Nanak, praising the True Lord, I have obtained His Perfection. ||27||Sudh||
:)

May 24, 2008

dear all

regard
aman khan

Dear Aman Ji ,
Following r good links which may provide answers to ur questions . Sikhism is an independent of any other religion whether Hinduism or Islam or Christianity

Sikh Articles - Sikhism vs. Hinduism

Summary differences between Sikhism, Hinduism and Islam

Search Sikhism - Sikhi and Islam

Search Sikhism - Falsehood of Islam

Sikhism and Islam - Explaining Islam in Gurbani

Regards ,
Dalbir Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM