• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

wundermonk

SPNer
Nov 11, 2011
Hello All:

I am a new member here. I love philosophy and consider myself a Vedantin, even though I know a bit about Samkhya, Yoga and Nyaya.

I had an initial question though...in the interfaith dialogue section, there doesnt seem to be a section/forum dedicated to Sanatana Dharma/Vedic philosophy. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks much!

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hello Wundermunk ji, welcome to SPN.

There is a Sanatan Sikhism forum here: http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sanatan-sikhism/

A snippet from the announcement for that forum: Sanatan Sikhism is a broad and inclusive branch of "The Sanatan Dharma" that integrates spiritual concepts from the Vedas and Puranas with the teachings of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

Also you can post in the root Interfaith Dialogues forum instead of a sub-forum.

Essentially SPN is a SIKH philosophy network and presumably it would be impractical to include forums and sub-forums for every religion / philosophy.

Apologies for mistakes.
Ishna

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2011
Hello All:

I am a new member here. I love philosophy and consider myself a Vedantin, even though I know a bit about Samkhya, Yoga and Nyaya.

I had an initial question though...in the interfaith dialogue section, there doesnt seem to be a section/forum dedicated to Sanatana Dharma/Vedic philosophy. Is there any reason for this?

Thanks much!

Hello again

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Hello All:

Thanks much!
Gurfateh Ji

Welcome to SPN! welcomemunda

From time to time, we do housekeeping of our various sections to keep the forums clean and fresh for new visitors... we do have an extensive section on Hinduism under interfaith dialogues and it is under going some housekeeping. It will be back online soon.

Thank you for your patience,

Warm Regards,

:)
Aman Singh

Aug 29, 2009
I joined in 2009, but due to cancer and ill health have been absent! I am in better health and revitalized and have returned!
I have been a spiritual journeyman since I was 12 and on my travels have explored Christianity, Buddhism, the Bahai Faith(a favorite of mine), Theosophy, Anthroposophy, Rosicrucianism, Paganism and a few others(please excuse spelling mistakes). I have never been able to settle in any one of the aforementioned religions/spiritual paths and now find myself here! Looking forward to my stay here!

I am a believer in reincarnation, have been since 12 yrs old. I look at life on this beautiful planet as a chance to learn, help others, and have fun. I also am a researcher of UFOs and the paranormal(where I live we have plenty of paranormal activity!), enjoy music(from metal-opera-classical-folk), documentaries and conspiracies!

I am a big Bill Hicks fan, so if there are any other Bill Hicks fans please let me know:grinningsingh:

Also, as I am a novice to the Sikh Religion, I'd appreciate any advice as to what books to read/videos to watch.

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

i am here to learn more about gurbani and sikhi.. i cum from a mona punjabi family so i dnt think m very new to the religion.. m looking forward to take amrit and become a gursikhni :) .. n just hoping to learn from u all ...

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Welcome Zenfun ji (if I may call you that)! Gurfateh!

UFOs and Metal Opera - pick me! Blind Guardian for the win.

Thanks for sharing an uncommon word: Anthroposophy.

SPN has plenty of forums looking at videos and books and good websites - keep an eye out for the sticky threads.

www.srigranth.org is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji online - enjoy.

Ishna

Aug 29, 2009
Welcome Zenfun ji (if I may call you that)! Gurfateh!

UFOs and Metal Opera - pick me! Blind Guardian for the win.

Thanks for sharing an uncommon word: Anthroposophy.

SPN has plenty of forums looking at videos and books and good websites - keep an eye out for the sticky threads.

www.srigranth.org is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji online - enjoy.

Ishna

:blueturban: Ishna, thank you for the warm welcome and advice :blueturban:

Anthroposophy link in case your intrigued:- http://anthroposophy.org.uk/index.php?id=14

UFOs - I have captured one on my camera! Taken on 19th October, 2011!

Blind Guardian - yep, heard of them! May I top them with the incredible Nightwish???!!!

Yes! You can call me that!!!

I like your style lol

Warm regards,

Zenfun

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 29, 2009
OOPS!

Wrong photo!!!

Try again!!!

PS If a Mod could remove my photo from the above post I'd be really greatfull!!!:grinningsingh:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    100.8 KB · Reads: 160

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
OOPS!

Wrong photo!!!

Try again!!!

PS If a Mod could remove my photo from the above post I'd be really greatfull!!!:grinningsingh:

Actually, you could do it yourself quite easily. Just click on the edit button at the bottom of the comment and then it'll be there and you can delete it.

It is empowering to do these things for yourself, at least it is to me. lol

Aug 29, 2009
Actually, you could do it yourself quite easily. Just click on the edit button at the bottom of the comment and then it'll be there and you can delete it.

It is empowering to do these things for yourself, at least it is to me. lol

:grinningkudi: I would have done, but couldn't see the edit button :grinningkudi:

Maybe it was my over eagerness to correct my error and I didn't see it due to rushing to get it done, or as I hadn't reached 10 posts maybe I didn't have that option available!!!

I agree with you though in that it is empowering to do these things oneself, but their is no harm in asking for help either!

Anyway a very kind Mod has helped me out :happysingh:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
Yeah, the moderators here are very nice.

Asking for help is good, too.

Both ways are good. It is also good to be flexible. One problem, many solutions. (The best solution is to see the problem as not a problem. I guess that's kind of Zen.)

Hehehehehe, now answer me and you'll have your 10 posts, anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah, the moderators here are very nice.

Asking for help is good, too.

Both ways are good. It is also good to be flexible. One problem, many solutions. (The best solution is to see the problem as not a problem. I guess that's kind of Zen.)

Hehehehehe, now answer me and you'll have your 10 posts, anyway.

:grinningkaur: a Zen moment :grinningkaur:

their are no problems - just opportunities to achieve whatever is required!!!

and their I have it.......number 10!!! YIPPEE :grinningkaur:

many thanks Inderjeet Kaur winkingmunda

Nov 14, 2008

i am here to learn more about gurbani and sikhi.. i cum from a mona punjabi family so i dnt think m very new to the religion.. m looking forward to take amrit and become a gursikhni :) .. n just hoping to learn from u all ...

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa
Sri Waheguru ji ki fateh

Gursikhni ji 0:)

swati

SPNer
May 21, 2010
INDIA
Gurfateh:happykudi: harman jee.. hoping to learn from u all:interestedkudi:.. it wud be greatful of u if u cud refer me sum gud articles or anythng to help me with a better understanding of gurbani n sikhi...

Aug 28, 2010
SWATI Ji,
Welcome to SPN Forum for learning and sharing your vieiws with reference to Sikh Philosophy.
I may give you a personal suggestion if you are virtually keen in real understanding of Gurbani messages ,pl acquire knowledge of basics of SANSKRIT GRAMMER related to Noun/Adlective words.This would be a great help in understanding of Gurbani.
Prakash.s.Bagga

Nov 14, 2008
Swati ji , i mean Gursikhni ji , following shabad i want to share with you , its also sung by Jaspinder Narula ji japposatnamwaheguru:,

ਮਾਝ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥
Maajh, Fifth Mehl:

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਘਰ ਮਹਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਨਾਹੀ ॥
Everything is within the home of the self; there is nothing beyond.

ਬਾਹਰਿ ਟੋਲੈ ਸੋ ਭਰਮਿ ਭੁਲਾਹੀ ॥
One who searches outside is deluded by doubt.

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਜਿਨੀ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਸੋ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਸੁਹੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥
By Guru's Grace, one who has found the Lord within is happy, inwardly and outwardly. ||1||

ਝਿਮਿ ਝਿਮਿ ਵਰਸੈ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਧਾਰਾ ॥
Slowly, gently, drop by drop, the stream of nectar trickles down within.

ਮਨੁ ਪੀਵੈ ਸੁਨਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਬੀਚਾਰਾ ॥
The mind drinks it in, hearing and reflecting on the Word of the Shabad.

ਅਨਦ ਬਿਨੋਦ ਕਰੇ ਦਿਨ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਦਾ ਸਦਾ ਹਰਿ ਕੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥
It enjoys bliss and ecstasy day and night, and plays with the Lord forever and ever. ||2||

ਜਨਮ ਜਨਮ ਕਾ ਵਿਛੁੜਿਆ ਮਿਲਿਆ ॥
I have now been united with the Lord after having been separated and cut off from Him for so many lifetimes;

ਸਾਧ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੂਕਾ ਹਰਿਆ ॥
by the Grace of the Holy Saint, the dried-up branches have blossomed forth again in their greenery.

ਸੁਮਤਿ ਪਾਏ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਏ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹੋਏ ਮੇਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥
I have obtained this sublime understanding, and I meditate on the Naam; as Gurmukh, I have met the Lord. ||3||

ਜਲ ਤਰੰਗੁ ਜਿਉ ਜਲਹਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
As the waves of water merge again with the water,

ਤਿਉ ਜੋਤੀ ਸੰਗਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਮਿਲਾਇਆ ॥
so does my light merge again into the Light.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਕਟੇ ਕਿਵਾੜਾ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਨ ਹੋਈਐ ਜਉਲਾ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੧੯॥੨੬॥
Says Guru Nanak, the veil of illusion has been cut away, and I shall not go out wandering any more. ||4||19||26||

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Gurfateh:happykudi: harman jee.. hoping to learn from u all:interestedkudi:.. it wud be greatful of u if u cud refer me sum gud articles or anythng to help me with a better understanding of gurbani n sikhi...

Swati ji, welcomekaur
The whole of SPN is a wonderful wealth of information. Please take your time to browse, learn, interact, question and enjoy cheerleader

Gurbani and Sikhi is oxygen to many of us and we are a friendly bunch who love to learn from each other :sippingcoffee:
We are not born into Sikhi but we all grow into it. Sikhi is something to learn and incorporate. It is a lifelong road to travel.....

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: