• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
Welcome Singh555 :welcomemunda:,

Enjoy your stay over here and don't forget to recommend us at Facebook.com if you like us! :sippingcoffeemunda:

Gurufateh!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
:welcomekaur: kharjindersingh ji

We are so happy that you have signed up as an SPN member. I do not know what interess you most. Gurbani, kirtan, blogs, discussions, Sikh History? Whatever it is, please make the most of it when you are here. And don't forget to comment in a discussion and get to know some of our members. :happykudi:

Oct 20, 2004
:welcomekaur: kharjindersingh ji

We are so happy that you have signed up as an SPN member. I do not know what interess you most. Gurbani, kirtan, blogs, discussions, Sikh History? Whatever it is, please make the most of it when you are here. And don't forget to comment in a discussion and get to know some of our members. :happykudi:

Can I also post my own Sikhi topic for discussion?

fsf

SPNer
Mar 7, 2013
Hello,
I'm an educator working on a PhD in philosophy. I realized that I know next to nothing about Sikhi, and wish to learn more for three disparate but (to my mind) equally important reasons: first, there are deep resonances between my own work on rationality and justification and Sikh philosophy that I would like to better understand and explore. This leads to the second reason, which is that my work exposes the affinity I personally feel for what I know of Sikhism that I would like to explore for personal, less communicable reasons. Third, while I have read the religious texts that most of my students follow, I have not read (the English translation of, given my monolinguism) the GGS, and I would like to do so in order to be a better educator. So here I am.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
fsf ji

Welcome to SPN and I hope you make the discoveries you seek, enjoy the interactions with other members, learn the learnings that fascinate you.

:welcomekaur:

There is much here to explore: many subforums, the jukebox, the videos, the conversations, and religious reading for your own reflection. Spend many happy moments at SPN.

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
fsf ji,
A very warm welcome. I am looking forward to your input in various discussions as I am sure you will bring a interesting and refreshing perspective. I hope you find what you are looking for. The Gurbani Vichaar section may be of special interest as various sections of the SGGS are explored in depth. We have some very learned members here and it is a joy for me to learn from them.
:welcomekaur:

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Rajdev ji welcome to spn.
Can anyone tell me the meaning of Gurufateh please?
In terms of your query my understanding is the following,

Gur fateh / Gurufateh denotes the following,
Gur/Guru

• One creator/one creator that teaches us
fateh

• Victory
ESSEENCE: Victory to the one creator.

In practice it is a re-enforcement into the concept of one creator as well as recognition of wisdom that so emanates from such an understanding and the life one so leads.
Sat Sri Akal. :mundahug: :faujasingh:

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome Rajdev ji And Gurufateh!

It is my favorite greeting. It is short, full of energy, and true! May you always enjoy your hours spent at SPN. Ambarsaria ji who greeted you is one of our finest teachers to make us fine learners, Sikhs! That is the most important reason to be part of SPN...learning together. :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur: :welcomekaur:

Rajdev

SPNer
Mar 16, 2013
Gurufateh!
Thank you Ambarsaria Ji and Spnadmin ji. I am using it already now!

I am reading about the lives of the great Guru's and I ponder Gurufateh. If everything is The Creators, why choose to talk of victory in particular? As I ponder more it is obvious that during the time of the Guru's ,the persecution and weakness of human spirit would lead to the use of the term Gurufateh indeed. Victory over the mind maybe? and still relevant now!
I wonder about in the western society. It would seem strange for people to greet one another with "The victory is The Creators" but maybe it would be a good thing. It is truly focus on the Naam.

With Love , Rajdev

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gurufateh!
Thank you Ambarsaria Ji and Spnadmin ji. I am using it already now!

I am reading about the lives of the great Guru's and I ponder Gurfateh. If everything is The Creators, why choose to talk of victory in particular? As I ponder more it is obvious that during the time of the Guru's ,the persecution and weakness of human spirit would lead to the use of the term Gurufateh indeed. Victory over the mind maybe? and still relevant now!
I wonder about in the western society. It would seem strange for people to greet one another with "The victory is The Creators" but maybe it would be a good thing. It is truly focus on the Naam.

With Love , Rajdev

Rajdev ji

All I can offer you is my personal opinion in answer to your questions which are intriguing. How to exactly translate "Gurufateh." That is without picking away on the fine points. "Gurufateh!" is an affirmation of something much greater than our ability to describe our own experiences, however profound or how narrow. I translate it as "Victory belongs to the Guru." To me the victory has already been won in the hukam of Akaal (the plan of the timeless one). To realize that my perspective is limited by the confines of my human experience is strangely liberating. Something is bigger than human experience and more powerful than science or philosophy --- Gurfateh!

Last edited by a moderator:

0s0

SPNer
Apr 15, 2013
Waheguru g ka khalsa Waheguru g ki fathe sangat jio

m new here thought i will say Gurfathe to all. i have been sikh, almost khalsa and athiest in my life and realised that i will always wish to choose a khalsa life :) i am here so i can take part in discussuions related to sikhi, spirituality and learn lots...

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Welcome to SPN OsO ji

I hope that you find our forum a place of learning, companionship and fun. You have a lot of spunk and insight to offer to our discussions, so please discuss our topics with us, start threads, visit the blogs and make SPN a second home.

Thanks for coming aboard! :welcomekaur::welcomekaur::welcomekaur:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: