• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Inspirational Thoughts

Nov 19, 2004
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
and though they are with you, and yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love, but not your thoughts.
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward, nor tarries with yesterday.

- Kahlil Gibran
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Today's Thought!
thought06_april6.jpg

Nov 19, 2004
WHERE GOD IS .....

He was just a little boy, on a week's first day.
He was wandering home from Sunday School,
and dawdling along the way.

He scuffed his shoes into the grass; he found a caterpillar.
He found a fluffy milkweed pod, and blew out all the "filler."

A bird's nest in a tree over head, so wisely placed on high
Was just another wonder, that caught his eager eye.

A neighbor watched his zig zag course, and hailed him from the lawn;
Asked him where he'd been that day, and what was going on.

"I've been to Bible School," he said and turned a piece of sod.
He picked up a wiggley worm, replying, "I've learned a lot of God."

"M'm very fine way," the neighbor said, "for a boy to spend his time."
"If you'll tell me where God is, I'll give you a brand new dime."

Quick as a flash the answer came! Nor were his accents faint,
"I'll give you a dollar Mister, if you can tell me where God ain't!"

Nov 19, 2004
My Cup Has Overflowed
I've never made a fortune, and it's probably too late now.
But I don't worry about that much, I'm happy anyhow.
And as I go along life's way,
I'm reaping better than I sowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer,
'Cause my cup has overflowed.
Haven't got a lot of riches,
and sometimes the going's tough.
But I've got loving ones all around me,
and that makes me rich enough.
I thank God for his blessings,
and the mercies He's bestowed.

I remember times when things went wrong,
My faith wore somewhat thin.
But all at once the dark clouds broke,
and the sun peeped through again..
So Lord, help me not to gripe,
about the tough rows I have hoed.

If God gives me strength and courage,
When the way grows steep and rough.
I'll not ask for other blessings,
I'm already blessed enough.
And may I never be too busy,
to help others bear their loads.
Then I'll keep drinking from my saucer,

When I think of how many people
in this world have it worse than I do.
I realize just how blessed most of us really are.

Nov 19, 2004
WHEN WE SHARE

When we share laughter,

There's twice the fun;

When we share success,

We surpass what we've done.

When we share problems,

There's half the pain;

When we share tears,

A rainbow follows rain.

When we share dreams,

They become more real;

When we share secrets,

It's our hearts we reveal.

If we share a smile,

Then our love shows;

If we share a hug,

Then our love grows.

If we share with someone

On whom we depend,

That person becomes

Family or friend.

And what draws us closer

And makes us all care,

Is not what we have,

But the things that we share.

Jan 6, 2005
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.

It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company ...a church ...a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past ...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude ...I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

- Charles Swindoll

Nov 19, 2004
Dirt Roads

What's mainly wrong with society today is that too many Dirt Roads have been paved.

There's not a problem in America today; crime, drugs, education, divorce, delinquency... that wouldn't be remedied, if we just had more Dirt Roads, because Dirt Roads give character.

People that live at the end of Dirt Roads learn early on that life is a bumpy ride.

That it can jar you right down to your teeth sometimes, but it's worth it, if at the end there is a home...a loving spouse, happy kids and a dog.

We wouldn't have nearly as much trouble with our educational system if our kids got their exercise walking a Dirt Road with other kids, from whom they learn how to get along.

There was less crime in our streets before they were paved. Criminals didn't walk two dusty miles to rob or rape if they knew they'd be welcomed by five barking dogs and a double barrel shotgun.

And there were no drive by shootings.

Our values were better when our roads were worse!

People did not worship their cars more than their kids, and motorists were more courteous, they didn't tailgate by riding the bumper or the guy in front would choke you with dust & bust your windshield with rocks.

Dirt Roads taught patience.

Dirt Roads were environmentally friendly, you didn't hop in your car for a quart of milk; you walked to the barn for your milk.

For your mail, you walked to the mail box.

What if it rained and the Dirt Road got washed out?

That was the best part, because then you stayed home and had some family time, roasted marshmallows and popped popcorn and pony rode on Daddy's shoulders and learned how to make prettier quilts than anybody.

At the end of Dirt Roads, you soon learned that bad words tasted like soap.

Most paved roads lead to trouble, Dirt Roads more likely lead to a fishing creek or a swimming hole.

At the end of a Dirt Road, the only time we even locked our car was in August, because if we didn't some neighbor would fill it with too much zucchini.

At the end of a Dirt Road, there was always extra springtime income, from when city dudes would get stuck, you'd have to hitch up a team and pull them out. Usually you got a dollar...always you got a new friend... at the end of a Dirt Road.
-Paul Harvey

Jan 6, 2005
"Life's not about expecting, hoping and wishing,
it's about doing, being and becoming.

It's about the choices you've just made,
and the ones you're about to make,
it's about the things you choose to say - today.

It's about what you're going to do after you finish reading this."

- Mike Dooley

Nov 19, 2004
Judge Gently

Pray, don't find fault with the man that limps
Or stumbles along the road.
Unless you have worn the shoes he wears
Or struggled beneath his load.

There may be tacks in his shoes that hurt
Though hidden away from view.
Or the burden he bears placed on your back
Might cause you to stumble too.

Don't sneer at the man who's down today
Unless you have felt the blow
That caused his fall or felt the shame
That only the fallen know.

You may be strong but still the blow
That was his if dealt to you
In the selfsame way, at the selfsame time
Might cause you to stagger too.

Don't be too harsh with the man that sins
Or pelt him with word or stone
Unless you are sure - yea, doubly sure -
That you have no sins of your own.

For you know, perhaps,
If the tempter's voice should whisper as soft to you
As it did to him when he went astray
It might cause you to falter too.

Let's all try to be a little bit more sympathetic to others.
Let's try to live life with a clear conscience.
Let's not judge others.
Let's treat everyone like we want to be treated.
Let's act as Waheguru would want us to act.
Let's not just talk about it.
Let's really do it!
Starting right now!!

Jan 6, 2005
“Forgiveness is freeing up and putting to better use the energy once consumed by holding grudges, harboring resentments, and nursing unhealed wounds. It is rediscovering the strengths we always had and relocating our limitless capacity to understand and accept other people and ourselves.”

- Sydney and Suzanne Simon

Jan 6, 2005
The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the doorsill where two worlds touch. The round door is open.
Don't go back to sleep.

-Djalal ad Din Rumi

Jan 6, 2005
Learn how to carry a friendship greatly, whether or not it is returned. Why should one regret if the receiver is not equally generous? It never troubles the sun that some of his rays fall wide and vain into ungrateful space, and only a small part on the reflecting planet. Let your greatness educate the crude and cold companion. If he is unequal, he will presently pass away; but thou art enlarged by thy own shining.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nov 19, 2004
CHILDREN AND ANGELS
By: Joseph J. Mazzella

I have often felt that children are far closer to the angels than we adults are. They seem far more ready to share joy freely and to give love unconditionally to others. They seem to easily know how to celebrate life, laugh, smile, and embrace delight just as God meant for all of us to do. Nothing brought this point home to my heart more clearly than a story a friend of mine recently shared with me about her daughter.
Her daughter while mentally handicapped has a soul that shines brighter than a thousand suns. She loves everyone and is never afraid to express her affection to others. Once when she was at Church with her Mom it came time to give others the sign of peace. Now most people do this with a handshake or a gentle touch. This little Angel Child , however, wasn?t one to hold back on her love. She turned around and gave a sweet, elderly lady next to her a huge hug full of both energy and love. Later after Church that same lady with tears in her eyes approached the girl?s Mom and spoke to her. "My husband just died a week ago", she said. "I felt so alone that I was going to go home and take some pills to end my life today, but now thanks to your little girl I believe that there still is love in this world."
Our children can teach us so much about love. Our children can teach us so much about joy. Our children can teach us so much about life. Let us not ignore the lessons they give us every day. Let us instead learn from them and share more love and joy with others in our own lives. God loves us and put us here to love each other. Sometimes we forget this, but thankfully God is patient and forgiving with us. He never fails to send us joyous angels and happy children to guide us back to love again.

Nov 19, 2004
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Nov 19, 2004
Birth was not our choice,Death will not be our choice,
But the way we live our life is our choice.
Absolutely our choice.
Live fullest for today.
Strive to learn something new today.
cutebar.gif

Nov 19, 2004
Some of the best lines I've read.
Standing for what you believe in,
Regardless of the odds against you,
And the pressure that tears at your resistance,
…..means Courage.
Keeping a smile on your face,
When inside you feel like dying,
For the sake of supporting others,
……..Means Strength
Stopping at nothing,
And doing what’s in your heart,
You know is right,
…….Means Determination
Doing more than is expected,
To make another’s life a little more bearable,
Without uttering a single complaint,
…….means Compassion
Helping a Friend in need,
No matter the time or effort,
To the best of your ability,
…….means Loyalty
Giving more than you have,
And expecting nothing,
But nothing in return,
……means Selflessness
Holding your hand high,
And being the best you know you can be,
When life seems to fall apart at your feet,
Facing each difficulty with the confidence
That time will bring you better tomorrow’s.
And never giving up,
….means Confidence
To All the questions of your life,
You are the only Answer.
To all the problems of your life,
You are the only Solution.

Nov 19, 2004
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A woman came out of her house and saw 3 old men with long white beards sitting in her front yard. She did not recognize them. She said "I don't think I know you, but you must be hungry. Please come in and have something to eat." [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Is the man of the house home?", they asked. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"No", she said. "He's out." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Then we cannot come in", they replied. In the evening when her husband came home, she told him what had happened. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Go tell them I am home and invite them in!" The woman went out and invited the men in.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"We do not go into a House together," they replied.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Why is that?" she wanted to know. One of the old men explained: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"His name is Wealth," he said pointing to one of his friends, and said pointing to another one, [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"He is Success, and I am Love." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Then he added, "Now go in and discuss with your husband which one of us you want in your home." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The woman went in and told her husband what was said. Her husband was overjoyed. "How nice!!", he said. "Since that is the case, let us invite Wealth. Let him come and fill our home with wealth!" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]His wife disagreed. "My dear, why don't we invite Success?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Their daughter-in-law was listening from the other corner of the house. She jumped in with her own suggestion: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Would it not be better to invite Love? Our home will then be filled with love!"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Let us heed our daughter-in-law's advice," the husband said to his wife.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Go out and invite Love to be our guest." [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The woman went out and asked the 3 old men, "Which one of you is Love? Please come in and be our guest."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Love got up and started walking toward the house. The other 2 also got up and followed him. Surprised, the lady asked Wealth and Success:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I only invited Love, Why are you coming in?" [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The old men replied together: "If you had invited Wealth or Success, the other two of us would've stayed out, but since you invited Love, wherever He goes, we go with him. Wherever there is Love, there is also Wealth and Success!!!!!!" OUR WISH FOR YOU... Where there is pain, we wish you peace and mercy. Where there is self-doubting, we wish you a renewed confidence in Your Ability to work through them. Where there is tiredness, or exhaustion, we wish you understanding, patience, and renewed strength. Where there is fear, we wish you love, and courage. [/FONT]

Nov 19, 2004
The perfect heart
One day a young man was standing in the middle of the town proclaiming that he had the most beautiful heart in the whole valley. A large crowd gathered and they all admired his heart for it was perfect. There was not a mark or a flaw in it.

Yes, they all agreed it truly was the most beautiful heart they had ever seen. The young man was very proud and boasted more loudly about his beautiful heart. Suddenly, an old man appeared at the front of the crowd and said,
"Why your heart is not nearly as beautiful as mine." The crowd and the young man looked at the old man's heart. It was beating strongly, but full of scars, it had places where pieces had been removed and other pieces put in, but they didn't fit quite right and there were several jagged edges. In fact, in some places there were deep gouges where whole pieces were missing.
The people stared -- how can he say his heart is more beautiful, they thought? The young man looked at the old man's heart and saw its state and laughed. "You must be joking," he said. "Compare your heart with mine, mine is perfect and yours is a mess of scars and tears."

"Yes," said the old man, "yours is perfect looking but I would never trade with you. You see, every scar represents a person to whom I have given my love - I tear out a piece of my heart and give it to them, and often they give me a piece of their heart which fits into the empty place in my heart, but because the pieces aren't exact, I have some rough edges, which I cherish, because they remind me of the love we shared. Sometimes I have given pieces of my heart away, and the other person hasn't returned a piece of his heart to me. These are the empty gouges -- giving love is taking a chance. Although these gouges are painful, they stay open, reminding me of the love I have for these people too, and I hope someday they may return and fill the space I have waiting. So now do you see what true beauty is?"
The young man stood silently with tears running down his cheeks. He walked up to the old man, reached into his perfect young and beautiful heart, and ripped a piece out. He offered it to the old man with trembling hands. The old man took his offering, placed it in his heart and then took a piece from his old scarred heart and placed it in the wound in the young man's heart. It fit, but not perfectly, as there were some jagged edges. The young man looked at his heart, not perfect anymore but more beautiful than ever, since love from the old man's heart flowed into his. They embraced and walked away side by side.

Author Unknown

this touched my heart

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: