• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India India’s ‘silent’ Prime Minister Becomes A Tragic Figure

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
India’s ‘silent’ prime minister becomes a tragic figure
By Simon Denyer - The Washington Post - Published: September 4

NEW DELHI
— India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh helped set his country on the path to modernity, prosperity and power, but critics say the shy, soft-spoken 79-year-old is in danger of going down in history as a failure.

The architect of India’s economic reforms, Singh was a major force behind his country’s rapprochement with the United States and is a respected figure on the world stage. President Obama’s aides used to boast of his tremendous rapport and friendship with Singh.

But the image of the scrupulously honorable, humble and intellectual technocrat has slowly given way to a completely different one: a dithering, ineffectual bureaucrat presiding over a deeply corrupt government.

Every day for the past two weeks, India’s Parliament has been adjourned as the opposition bays for Singh’s resignation over allegations of waste and corruption in the allocation of coal-mining concessions.

The story of Singh’s dramatic fall from grace in his second term in office and the slow but steady tarnishing of his reputation has played out in parallel with his country’s decline on his watch. As India’s economy has slowed and as its reputation for rampant corruption has reasserted itself, the idea that the country was on an inexorable road to becoming a global power has increasingly come into question.

“More and more, he has become a tragic figure in our history,” said political historian Ramachandra Guha, describing a man fatally handicapped by his “timidity, complacency and intellectual dishonesty.”

The irony is that Singh’s greatest selling points — his incorruptibility and economic experience — are the mirror image of his government’s greatest failings.

Under Singh, economic reforms have stalled, growth has slowed sharply and the rupee has collapsed. But just as damaging to his reputation is the accusation that he looked the other way and remained silent as his cabinet colleagues filled their own pockets.

In the process, he transformed himself from an object of respect to one of ridicule and endured the worst period in his life, said Sanjaya Baru, Singh’s media adviser during his first term.

Attendees at meetings and conferences were jokingly urged to put their phones into “Manmohan Singh mode,” while one joke cited a dentist urging the seated prime minister, “At least in my clinic, please open your mouth.”

Singh finally did open his mouth last week, to rebut criticism from the government auditor that the national treasury had been cheated of billions of dollars after coal-mining concessions were granted to private companies for a pittance — including during a five-year period when Singh doubled as coal minister.

Singh denied that there was “any impropriety,” but he was drowned out by catcalls when he attempted to address Parliament on the issue. His brief statement to the media afterward appeared to do little to change the impression of a man whose aloofness from the rough-and-tumble of Indian politics has been transformed from an asset into a liability.

“It has been my general practice not to respond to motivated criticism directed personally at me,” he said. “My general attitude has been, ‘My silence is better than a thousand answers; it keeps intact the honor of innumerable questions.’ ”

Singh probably will survive calls for his resignation, but the scandal represents a new low in a reputation that has been sinking for more than a year.

‘I have to do my duty’

Singh was born in 1932 into a small-time trader’s family in a village in what is now Pakistan, walking miles to school every day and studying by the light of a kerosene lamp. The family moved to India shortly before partition of the subcontinent in 1947, and Singh pleaded with his father to be allowed to continue with his studies rather than join the dry-fruit trade.

A series of scholarships allowed Singh to continue those studies first at Cambridge and then at Oxford, where he completed a PhD. Marriage was arranged with Gursharan Kaur in 1958; they have three daughters.

A successful career in the bureaucracy followed, but it was in 1991 that Singh was thrust into the spotlight as finance minister amid a financial crisis.

With little choice, Singh introduced a series of policies that freed the Indian economy from suffocating state control and unleashed the dynamism of its private sector.

More than a decade later, in 2004, Singh again found himself on center stage, becoming in his own words an “accidental prime minister.”

The Congress party led by Italian-born Sonia Gandhi had surprised many people by winning national elections that year, but she sprang an even bigger surprise by renouncing the top job and handing it to Singh.

In him she saw not only the perfect figure*head for her government but also a man of unquestioning loyalty, party insiders say, someone she could both trust and control.

“I’m a small person put in this big chair,” Singh told broadcaster Charlie Rose in 2006. “I have to do my duty, whatever task is allotted of me.”

From the start, it was clear that Sonia Gandhi held the real reins of power. The Gandhi family has ruled India for most of its post-
independence history and enjoys an almost cultlike status within the Congress party. Sonia’s word was destined to remain law.

But Singh made his mark during his first term in office, standing up to opposition from his coalition partners and from within his own party to push through a civil nuclear cooperation deal with the United States in 2008, a landmark agreement that ended India’s nuclear isolation after its weapons tests in 1974 and 1998.

It was a moment that almost brought his government down, an issue over which he offered to resign. While no electricity has yet flowed from that pact, it marked a major step forward in India’s relations with the United States.

The Congress-led coalition went on to win a second term in 2009, in what many people saw as a mandate for Singh.

The 2009 election “was a victory for him, but he did not step up to claim it — maybe because he is too academic, maybe because he is too old,” said Tushar Poddar, managing director at Goldman Sachs in Mumbai. “That lack of leadership, that lack of boldness, lack of will — that really shocked us. That really shocked foreign investors.”

‘He suffers from doubts’

In a series of largely off-the-record conversations, friends and colleagues painted a picture of a man who felt undermined by his own party and who sank into depression and self-pity.

His one attempt in 1999 to run for a parliamentary seat from a supposedly safe district in the capital, New Delhi, had ended in ignominious defeat. His failure to contest a parliamentary seat in 2009, making him the only Indian prime minister not to have done so, further undermined both his confidence, his friends and colleagues say, and his standing in the eyes of the party.

Congress, insiders say, never accepted that the 2009 election was a mandate for Singh and jealously resented the idea that he could be seen to be anywhere near as important as a Gandhi. Rahul, Sonia’s son, was being groomed to take over from Singh, and the prime minister needed to be cut down to size.

He soon was openly criticized by his own party over attempts to continue a peace process with Pakistan despite the 2008 attack on Mumbai by Pakistani militants.

Singh became even more quiet at his own cabinet meetings, to the point of not speaking up for the sort of economic changes many thought he ought to be championing.

“His gut instincts are very good, but sometimes he suffers from doubts about the political feasibility, about getting things done,” said Jagdish N. Bhagwati, a Columbia University professor who has been friends with Singh since their Cambridge days.

Singh will go down in history as India’s first Sikh prime minister and the country’s third-longest-serving premier, but also as someone who did not know when to retire, Guha said.

“He is obviously tired, listless, without energy,” he said. “At his time of life, it is not as though he is going to get a new burst of energy. Things are horribly out of control and can only get worse for him, for his party and for his government.”

© The Washington Post Company

source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...8662c4-f396-11e1-adc6-87dfa8eff430_story.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 10.43.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 10.43.37 AM.png
    102.4 KB · Reads: 249
Last edited by a moderator:

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Hmm he is part of one of the most corrupt govts ever.
He doesn't have much in terms of power.
He is choosing to be silent and do whatever he can.
He is probably listening to what Sonia Gandhi says as she is party chief.

Personally I would want him to complete two consecutive terms and write history.
I hope he stays in Chardi Kala.
And I feel we should support him as a fellow Sikh, for he himself is not making money. His story is like that of every honest person in India, being in a corrupt environment and trying to silently keep moving. He is the last leader in India to have a world wide presence, which is the reason he is getting his fair share of negativity.

Jul 1, 2012
in my personal opinion he is the best ever pm india had...he is like lotus...and...all other politicians irrespective of party are like dirty water in which our lotus is floating...not even a single charge is ever proved against him and he himself challanged to step down if anyone can proove he is corrupt. actually congress made him pm to get votes of sikhs and also as no one from gandhi family was eligible at that time to be pm...so very cleverly sonia gandhi choosed this gentle man at the post of pm...now rahul is also dreaming of becoming pm n thats why congress has slowly started to make pm more prone to such alligations so that rahul can easily take his place...on the other hand bjp and other parties want a hindu pm. they are totally out of their senses and can not see a sikh on pm seat. mind it, 99.9% hindus want modi to be pm so that he can suppress all the minorties. previously also there were pms who were not only accused of corruption but also found guilty (indra gandhi, p v narsima rao, yeduppa, just a day before modi's close aides were sentenced to life imprisonment and last but not least we had the most corrupt president pratibha patel who enjoyed public money for unnecessary foreign trips) all these persons are accused with one or other offence with proofs but no one echoes his/ her voice against them...why?? becoz all are hindus...today modi is accused to muslim roits where as raj thakarey openly threaten non maharastrians but these are cheered by majority and when such a demand was made by sikhs they were labeled as terrorists. those who are good in economics must be knowing that in 1991 it was this very pm who put india on economic track or else india was gone. these chaddis had at that time tried to keep the country's whole gold as security to WB, and see these chaddis today they call this very architect of indian economy a fool...
the main thing is that at present majority of hindus do'nt want to see sikhs on higher posts and want india to be j totally hindu nation...n...thats why they attack mms every then n how.

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011
the main thing is that at present majority of hindus do'nt want to see sikhs on higher posts and want india to be j totally hindu nation...n...thats why they attack mms every then n how.
What a sorry statement! Blame MMS's incompetency on Hindu majority. Wow!
This article is from the Washington post by Simon Denyer who apparently is not Hindu. Last month TIME magazine called him underachiever. That too is not a Hindu magazine.
If the Hindu majority of India did not want to see Sikhs on high posts (as you claim), they would not have voted for him for a second term. Unlike his first term UPA had already announced MMS as their PM candidate and still India voted for him.

I will not support him simply because he is a Sikh. I will only support him for his good work as PM.
His religious credentials will be judged by Waheguru.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Blame MMS's incompetency on Hindu majority.

There are 2 different things here. One is MMS not having a say in the govt. And other thing is that Hindu nationalists don't like seeing a non-Hindu as PM. The latter is very much true too. Though it is not related.

Jul 1, 2012
What a sorry statement! Blame MMS's incompetency on Hindu majority. Wow!
it'll be really nice of you if you can name a competent PM of india till now or even for future......there was a b vajpaiee who before becoming pm talked very tough on pakistan and all the nation voted him for that but when kargil war begun he was nothing but a sorry figure who used to give speeches that india will do this n that but what happened???
at least our mms does not shoots from hips to vooo people....when ever he speaks he speaks the reallity, which i think no other indian politicians can take courage of speaking....take for instance....he openly admitted that "when you are in coalition you just cannot do things on your own". do you think any other politician of india have guts to admit the reality....and we all know that this is reality.
when bjp was in power it was hell bent to introduce FDI in retail but when same mms okays it in 2011 all these bloody politicians stands against him, and now we accuse him that indian economy have worsened, but the fact remains that even today majority of world admits that india is least affected by global economic slowdown as compared to other counterparts.
Actually the problem with us is that we just jump to conclusions after listening from others,without our self trying to find out facts.....and the live example of it is our saying that mms is the "weakest pm of india ever". you told that it was not an indian daily to report such a thing against mms but even if it was not indian daily you should completely go through its contents and you'll come to know that the major bulk of its contents are explanations/ sayings/ reviews given by indian hindus....----

"In the process, he transformed himself from an object of respect to one of ridicule and endured the worst period in his life, said Sanjaya Baru, Singh’s media adviser during his first term."

"The 2009 election “was a victory for him, but he did not step up to claim it — maybe because he is too academic, maybe because he is too old,” said Tushar Poddar, managing director at Goldman Sachs in Mumbai. “That lack of leadership, that lack of boldness, lack of will — that really shocked us. That really shocked foreign investors.”

“His gut instincts are very good, but sometimes he suffers from doubts about the political feasibility, about getting things done,” said Jagdish N. Bhagwati,"

"Singh will go down in history as India’s first Sikh prime minister and the country’s third-longest-serving premier, but also as someone who did not know when to retire, Guha said"

Now please come to the point:: we just can not point out that he is the problem...in my opinion if one thinks that he is weak, incompetent, corrupt and all D stuff, he should also provide with an alternative......name any alternative in present scenario who have efficiency more than mms???
modi???: the most fanatic and anti minorties
rahul gandhi : the amul boy who even can not pass graduation on his own
advani: more i speak of him less it is
anna hazare???: he himself do'nt know what the hell is is doing
who else?????

every person is responsible for his actions not of others......blame him for his mis doings if you find any?????

but every time a scam occurs mms should resign.....why??? were not scams previously before him......who resigned???? will not be there scams if mms resigns......who grantees???? atleast we have a grantee that mms is not corrupt but who'll give grantee of all other so be dreaming pms???

and at end i'll like to suggest you to do read times of india's internet edition.....when ever there'll be a news on sikhs......all the worst comments will be given by hindus who want modi as pm........i do'nt jumped to my conclusion that hindus want a non sikh pm thats why they accuse him.....its what i've read and analysed from last 3-4 yrs.......give a try yourself....
And also keep in mind that our political set up is not like that a single person will suspend any one on a mere accusing.....prove the mis doing in court and mms is there to act on the behalf of council of ministers........if you are sound in indian polity you must be knowing that president is no one but a signatory head where as PM is also bound by decision on the behalf of his council of ministers........so one sikh pm and all others hindu council of ministers......why to blame mms........??? if 80 to 90 per cent of council of ministers agree on one issue it is not possible for mms or even any modi or advani to disagree with it....so in my opinion he is doing a good job on his part......rest all is filth and dirt which we'll find in 100 % after mms but now atleast it is 99% (1 % deducted on account of mms):interestedsingh:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
in my personal opinion he is the best ever pm india had...he is like lotus...and...all other politicians irrespective of party are like dirty water in which our lotus is floating...not even a single charge is ever proved against him and he himself challanged to step down if anyone can proove he is corrupt. actually congress made him pm to get votes of sikhs and also as no one from gandhi family was eligible at that time to be pm...so very cleverly sonia gandhi choosed this gentle man at the post of pm...now rahul is also dreaming of becoming pm n thats why congress has slowly started to make pm more prone to such alligations so that rahul can easily take his place...on the other hand bjp and other parties want a hindu pm. they are totally out of their senses and can not see a sikh on pm seat. mind it, 99.9% hindus want modi to be pm so that he can suppress all the minorties. previously also there were pms who were not only accused of corruption but also found guilty (indra gandhi, p v narsima rao, yeduppa, just a day before modi's close aides were sentenced to life imprisonment and last but not least we had the most corrupt president pratibha patel who enjoyed public money for unnecessary foreign trips) all these persons are accused with one or other offence with proofs but no one echoes his/ her voice against them...why?? becoz all are hindus...today modi is accused to muslim roits where as raj thakarey openly threaten non maharastrians but these are cheered by majority and when such a demand was made by sikhs they were labeled as terrorists. those who are good in economics must be knowing that in 1991 it was this very pm who put india on economic track or else india was gone. these chaddis had at that time tried to keep the country's whole gold as security to WB, and see these chaddis today they call this very architect of indian economy a fool...

The above mentality is one of the reason India can never progress. People just get blinded by their group that they can't see beyond that.Some people also defended A Raja saying because he is Dalit that's why he is targeted .If Manmohan singh would had been a muslim ,then same argument is also given by them that because he is a muslim that's why people are targeting him.No wonder all politicians in India use religion ,region ,caste card. They know plenty of people will keep voting for them no wonder how much they loot

Jan 6, 2005

PMO rebuts Washington Post story, sends rejoinder

Thursday, September, 06 2012 - 11:25

WASHINGTON:
The Prime Minister's Office has sent a strong rebuttal to Washington Post, which had published a controversial article about Dr Manmohan Singh and his government.

The article had attacked what it called "poor leadership of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh". The write-up created a strong reaction in Delhi.

Taking a strong notice, the PMO's letter, signed by Pankaj Pachauri, communications adviser at the Prime Minister's Office, accuses the Washington Post of "unethical and unprofessional conduct" though it refuses to go into "your one-sided assessment of the Prime Minister's performance, as comment is free in journalism."

Meanwhile, earlier, the influential US daily's correspondent said he stood by the story and offered no apology.

"I stand by the story," wrote Simon Denyer, the Post's India bureau chief and author of the story, in a blog post Wednesday in response to a complaint from Pankaj Pachauri, communications adviser at the Prime Minister's Office.

"My apology was for the fact that the website was down and the PM's office could not post a reply directly. As soon as the problem was fixed, I informed them," added Denyer.

In a front page story Wednesday, the Post had called Manmohan Singh "a dithering, ineffectual bureaucrat presiding over a deeply corrupt government" and quoted sources who described a man "fatally handicapped by his timidity, complacency and intellectual dishonesty."

Responding to the Post article, Pachauri in a letter to Denyer, wrote: "We do not complain about criticism of the government which is a journalist's right. But I am writing this letter for pointing out unethical and unprofessional conduct at your part."

In his complaint, the official said: "Despite all lines of conversations open, you never got in touch with us for our side of the story though you regularly talk to me about information from the PMO. This story thus becomes totally one sided."

Pachauri told Denyer that when he rang him to point out that his request for an interview was declined "till the Monsoon Session" of the Parliament which gets over in two days, "you said sorry twice though you tell the media here that you never apologised."

"The former media adviser to the PM Dr Sanjaya Baru has complained that you 'rehashed and used' an 8 month old quote from an Indian magazine," he added.

Denyer responded saying when his third request for an interview with the PM was declined on July 30 "there was no mention of the possibility of an interview afterwards."

"In any case my story touches on the fact that parliament has been adjourned every day throughout the current session by opposition calls for the PM to resign, which is a story I felt should be told, interview or not," Denyer wrote.

But the correspondent acknowledged that the comments attributed to Baru and political historian Ramachandra Guha were originally published in the Caravan, an Indian magazine, in 2011 and ran a corrected version of the article.

"While both men told The Post that the assertions could accurately be attributed to them, the article should have credited the Caravan when it used or paraphrased the remarks," it said.

In another blog, the Post said the story had received a mixed bag of "more than 600 comments online, earned a slew of tweets from both defenders and detractors and sparked several articles in Indian newspapers."

(With IANS inputs)

source: http://www.punjabnewsline.com/news/Washington-Post-offers-no-apology-for-Manmohan-story.html

Jul 1, 2012
The above mentality is one of the reason India can never progress. People just get blinded by their group that they can't see beyond that.Some people also defended A Raja saying because he is Dalit that's why he is targeted .If Manmohan singh would had been a muslim ,then same argument is also given by them that because he is a muslim that's why people are targeting him.No wonder all politicians in India use religion ,region ,caste card. They know plenty of people will keep voting for them no wonder how much they loot

well satkaar youg sardar kd singh jee, seems you jumped on the conclusion regarding my mentality in a little bit hurry the same way you jumped to conclusion about MMS.. sorry to say but seems your thinking regarding MMS is more influenced by your tea side friends...as it generally happens with most of the masses....just sit for 15-30 mins in free time with friends, have tea ....discuss some daily happening issues and made up your mind about a topic based on what your tea side friends told you...

Now i'm providing you some of the reasons why i support MMS and you are most welcome to point out the instance my support for MMS goes biased regarding religion, caste or creed......

1. i support MMS because he is the man who brought india out of the worst economic crisis a country can ever have....in 1991....India's fiscal deficit was close to 8.5 per cent of the gross domestic product, the balance of payments deficit was huge and the current account deficit was close to 3.5 percent of India's GDP. India's foreign reserves barely amounted to US$1 billion, enough to pay for a few weeks of imports, in comparison to US$283 billion today. he is the one and only man who saved india from going bankrupt.

2. i support MMS because he is the person who changed India's socialist economy to a more capitalistic one, in the process dismantling the Licence Raj, a system that inhibited the prosperity of private businesses. he removed many obstacles standing in the way of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), and initiated the process of the privatization of public sector companies.

3. i support MMS because he is the man who have presided over a period as PM where the Indian economy has grown with an 8–9% economic growth rate. In 2007, India achieved its highest GDP growth rate of 9% and became the second fastest growing major economy in the world.

4. i support MMS because he is the one and only man who introduced the value added tax, replacing sales tax.

5. i support MMS because of the fact that he is the genius who started the National Rural Health Mission, which has mobilised half a million community health workers. This rural health initiative was even praised by the American economist Jeffrey Sachs.

6. i support MMS because he is the persona who forwarded and implemented Unique Identification Authority of India in February 2009, an agency responsible for implementing the envisioned Multipurpose National Identity Card with the objective of increasing national security and facilitating e-governance.

7. i support MMS because he is the leader who proposed and implemented the important National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (NREGA) and the Right to Information Act in 2005, thus giving the ultimate power to common people to inquire about any information they wanna know about any government servant, service, plan, scheme or else...

8. i support MMS because he is the only PM of india who is seen as a man of few words. The Independent described him as "one of the world's most revered leaders" and "a man of uncommon decency and grace," noting that he drives a Maruti 800, one of the humblest cars in the Indian market.

9. in the praise of MMS and as a eye opener for those who accuse MMS of corruption.........i may like to provide a quote from great writer khuswant singh.....---------He mentions an incident in his book Absolute Khushwant: The Low-Down on Life, Death and Most things In-between where after losing the 1999 Lok Sabha elections, Singh immediately returned the 2 lakh (US$3,600) he had borrowed from the writer for hiring taxis. Terming him as the best example of integrity, Khushwant Singh stated, "When people talk of integrity, I say the best example is the man who occupies the country's highest office."

10. now fools like many who charged MMS as corrupt by saying that an non indian daily have accused MMS.......i've already provided the proofs that the major portion of that news is by fanatic persons of indian origin......now just take a look at what the outer world (beyond india) feels about MMS.....

----In 2010, Newsweek magazine recognized him as a world leader who is respected by other heads of state, describing him as "the leader other leaders love." The article quoted Mohamed ElBaradei, who remarked that Singh is "the model of what a political leader should be."

----- Forbes magazine described Singh as being "universally praised as India's best prime minister since Nehru"

------Australian journalist Greg Sheridan praised Singh "as one of the greatest statesmen in Asian history."

11. at last but surely not the least reason why i support MMS is very important and unique and to understand that reason one must have a thinking beyond a usual tea chatter......A country can not progress by developing nuclear weapons only and that too at the expense of enmity from developed countries in the form of restrictions. thats a very narrow and shortsighted thinking aimed at getting short term gains and thats what our so called great leaders like ab vajpaiee and like one did while going nuclear......and look at the vision of MMS.....He visited the United States in July 2005 initiating negotiations over the Indo-US civilian nuclear agreement. This was followed by George W. Bush's successful visit to India in March 2006, during which the declaration over the nuclear agreement was made, giving India access to American nuclear fuel and technology while India will have to allow IAEA inspection of its civil nuclear reactors. After more than two years for more negotiations, followed by approval from the IAEA, Nuclear Suppliers Group and the US Congress, India and the U.S. signed the agreement on 10 October 2008. keeping nuclear weapons is okay but not at the cost of energy which is more what country needs to develop......what indian leaders dreamt of achieving by next 50 yrs MMS's vision have made it possible to achieve it in next 5-6 yrs.......the energy self sufficiency via nuclear power.

-----and the most extra ordinary job which made me salute MMS by heart is his great vision regarding future dependence of india's power requirement on USA....even after getting into nuclear agreement with usa via which indias most of power demand could be easily fullfilled, MMS went a step further and took a U turn which worried USA also and slashed USA's dream of making india dependent on it for future power------the one and only gas pipe line project.....the ultimate one......

-----had it been some one else as PM he might have settled with nuclear deal only but MMS's vision went a further step ahead and negotiated on iran-pakistan-india gas pipe line project which will give india a option in future if USA tries to dictate its terms on india over nuclear deal.-----

brother these are only few reasons why i support MMS as PM and all these reasons are non religious and facts which general public do'nt know because they believe what others say......and you would have never said anything against MMS had you ever went through some current affairs, General knowledge and economics magzines......where reason and facts a
e written not the gossips and ill presented informations.....

Now my simple question to you......leaving the issue of scams (as these are not done by MMS himself and he is still clean in these matters) you give me a single reason why you do'nt want to see MMS as PM of india. and be sure not to shoot from hips by telling that he is weak PM, he is follower of sonia gandhi or likewise because a man is judged by what he actually did on his own capacity and not by what others did or are doing.....

And if you want more about contribution of MMS to india as PM do ask me...i can write pages n pages on his topic and not even a single reason will be based on religion or politics or any like wise bias.....it'll be purely on the facts regarding indias development........a development which only a non political and intelligent visionary like MMS can gurantee.....and that not to woo people to vote for him.....but his initiateves of today will be fruits
which these so called politicians will reap in future and claim as theirs.........gurfateh.
:mundaviolin::redturban:gingerteakaur

welcome to the world of facts and reasons welcomemunda

pervez

SPNer
Aug 11, 2012
It was a mistake by MMS to tackle the Nuclear bill at the instance of US this is cause of major problems for him and India. US expected that it will get access to Indian nuclear industry and gain access to Indian market in retail and have India generally follow US strategic guidelines especially on Iran. I suspect that MMS thought he could outmaneuver US on all these by taking the benefit and not delivering on the rest through typical bureaucrat out maneuvering. Problem is US only respects those who are independent of it and despises all its allies. UK and France the closest allies discovered it what it is to even hint at being out of step with US policies. UK was pilloried in media and by congress for trying to be more than a lapdog. France was ridiculed and hate even went to the extent of relabeling french fries in US congress cafeteria as freedom fries. Russia also discovered this over the last 10 years US expects complete obedience no half steps are possible. They can be patient and give you time to come to their viewpoint but will not tolerate anything to contrary. India did not allow US companies through nuclear liability bill, prevented walmart entry with politics and often pays only lip service on isolating Iran. Result is a full fledged operation to soften Indian govt into submission. Ford foundation funded anarchists in ramdev, anna team, Israeli influenced copy of republican govt shutdown techniques through the Sangh Parivar team in govt and media. Hammering India's investment and currency ratings. Pressure on India where it hurts most ie through multi fold H1 fees and high rate of rejection of H1 visa applications reaching almost 60% up from less than 10%. Pressure on Indian companies in US through litigation on visa fraud allegations. I wouldnt be surprised if a section of police and sanghis and muslim police informers and criminals are being helped and directed to ensure complete chaos. Even the tamil parties are in the bandwagon as they did have meetings with US attempts on sanctioning Sri Lanka. Generally social chaos and financial chaos will bring India to its knees so that it is amenable to US help and solutions to get out of the ditch we are throwing ourselves in. However nobody would have any power on us if we as a society thought more than our narrow community needs and demands but took action considering the national landscape and needs.

Jan 6, 2005

Washington Post publishes correction after PMO's strong protest

PTI | Sep 6, 2012, 09.47PM IST

NEW DELHI: Washington Post on Thursday admitted certain parts of its controversial article on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were taken from one-year-old edition of an Indian magazine as the PMO slammed the write-up as "unethical and unprofessional" conduct of the journalist.

Amid protest from the PMO, the Post published a correction with regard to quotes attributed to the Prime Minister's former media adviser Sanjaya Baru and political historian Ramachandra Guha.

"An earlier version of this article failed to credit the 'Caravan', an Indian magazine, for two statements that it originally published in 2011.

"The assertion by Sanjaya Baru, a former media adviser, that Singh had become an object of ridicule and endured the worst period in his life first appeared in the 'Caravan', as did an assertion by Ramachandra Guha, a political historian, that Singh was handicapped by his 'timidity, complacency and intellectual dishonesty'.

"While both men told The Post that the assertions could accurately be attributed to them, the article should have credited the 'Caravan' when it used or paraphrased the remarks. The article has been updated," said the correction.

The correction came as Pankaj Pachauri, communications adviser to the Prime Minister, wrote a strong protest letter to the US-based newspaper, saying the article reflected "unethical and unprofessional conduct" on part of journalist Simon Denyer.

Pachauri referred to quotes attributed to Baru and said Denyer had 'rehashed and used' an eight-month-old quote from an Indian magazine.

Terming the story as "totally one-sided", Pachauri said the journalist "never" got in touch with the PMO for its version on the article. "We expected better from the correspondent of the Washington Post for fair and unbiased reporting," he said.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-PMOs-strong-protest/articleshow/16285330.cms

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
well satkaar youg sardar kd singh jee, seems you jumped on the conclusion regarding my mentality in a little bit hurry the same way you jumped to conclusion about MMS.. sorry to say but seems your thinking regarding MMS is more influenced by your tea side friends...as it generally happens with most of the masses....just sit for 15-30 mins in free time with friends, have tea ....discuss some daily happening issues and made up your mind about a topic based on what your tea side friends told you...

Sorry to say It seems you have not understood what I am saying? I am not saying don't support MMS.By all means support MMS but don't use religious card.MMS was FM for 5 years and PM from over 8 years and praised by plenty of Indians ,politicians who are Hindu's.Now suddenly when attacked for scams you are saying that because he is a sikh that's why he is targeted.This is pure victim mentality.Plenty of communitties in India has this type of mentality.They purely see criticism of their community leaders as some kind of conspiracy and keep voting for them.

Jul 1, 2012
Sorry to say It seems you have not understood what I am saying? I am not saying don't support MMS.By all means support MMS but don't use religious card.MMS was FM for 5 years and PM from over 8 years and praised by plenty of Indians ,politicians who are Hindu's.Now suddenly when attacked for scams you are saying that because he is a sikh that's why he is targeted.This is pure victim mentality.Plenty of communitties in India has this type of mentality.They purely see criticism of their community leaders as some kind of conspiracy and keep voting for them.

sorry sir, but again i'll stick to my point because thats the ground reality...currently MMS is being targeted because of his religion and a open desire by hindu majority to see modi as pm and to create a totaly hinduvata type of country...and as far as corruption is concerned i've already said neither MMS is corrupt nor he has a majic wand in hand so that he can remove corruption in a moment and again he is the only man who instead of boasting just clearly admited he do'nt have a majic wand....now the rest part of story remains on the fact that who the people of india likes-- a man who boasts of diff. unachieveble things or a man who speaks the reality becoz he is not concerened by votes....fanatic hinduism and hinduvata is what you'll be going to see in coming years...

and it is not only in case of MMS, you might not be knowing but you can google on 'operation MOSSES IN INDIAN ARMY' you'll come to know the mindset of current majority people....

and also I do'nt say that all hindus are like that but if i've to put my views i 'll say 85-90 per cent hindus are now having this type of mentality....

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
sorry sir, but again i'll stick to my point because thats the ground reality...currently MMS is being targeted because of his religion and a open desire by hindu majority to see modi as pm and to create a totaly hinduvata type of country...and as far as corruption is concerned i've already said neither MMS is corrupt nor he has a majic wand in hand so that he can remove corruption in a moment and again he is the only man who instead of boasting just clearly admited he do'nt have a majic wand....now the rest part of story remains on the fact that who the people of india likes-- a man who boasts of diff. unachieveble things or a man who speaks the reality becoz he is not concerened by votes....fanatic hinduism and hinduvata is what you'll be going to see in coming years...

and it is not only in case of MMS, you might not be knowing but you can google on 'operation MOSSES IN INDIAN ARMY' you'll come to know the mindset of current majority people....

and also I do'nt say that all hindus are like that but if i've to put my views i 'll say 85-90 per cent hindus are now having this type of mentality....

Was Indira Gandhi not targeted because of corruption?Was Rajiv Gandhi not targeted because of corruption? Was Narsimha Rao not targeted because of corruption.If there are scams the Pms will be targeted because of corruption.You are MMS supporter so MMS is not corrupt for you just like Indira ,Rajiv , Rao were not corrupt for their supporters ,it does not mean that opposition should also believe word of their supporters.

As far Modi is concerend ,MMS is no threat for Modi .Modi's direct fight is with Rahul Gandhi.Plenty of congress leaders have already declared him as their PM candidate

Also. Hindutva and fear of Hindutva are two different things .From past 20 years this threat of Hindutva, Hindutva is their. What happened? BJP is now powerless party with lots of leaders infighting in it.The urban youth are now madly moving toward westernisation and are least interested in religion.Recently muslims openly attacked Assamese hindu's and they were running back to their state.

Jul 1, 2012
Was Indira Gandhi not targeted because of corruption?Was Rajiv Gandhi not targeted because of corruption? Was Narsimha Rao not targeted because of corruption.If there are scams the Pms will be targeted because of corruption.You are MMS supporter so MMS is not corrupt for you just like Indira ,Rajiv , Rao were not corrupt for their supporters ,it does not mean that opposition should also believe word of their supporters.

As far Modi is concerend ,MMS is no threat for Modi .Modi's direct fight is with Rahul Gandhi.Plenty of congress leaders have already declared him as their PM candidate

Also. Hindutva and fear of Hindutva are two different things .From past 20 years this threat of Hindutva, Hindutva is their. What happened? BJP is now powerless party with lots of leaders infighting in it.The urban youth are now madly moving toward westernisation and are least interested in religion.Recently muslims openly attacked Assamese hindu's and they were running back to their state.

corruption corruption corruption....
who is doing corruption and whom you are targeting??
indira, pv narcima rao were themself corrupt and were also proved for that but even then no one went behind them the way we are going behind MMS, even when we all know he is not corrupt...what the hell MMS will do when most of the indians are corrupt right from lowest post of peon to highest post of president...
and till now you are unable to provide me a single solid reason why not to support MMS??

kindly just do'nt write a comment to make sure that you have replied to my comment but write a comment such that I also feel that-- ohh yes he is right..MMS should not be supported--

and again if you'll write reply just trying to google moogle the whole topic am not going to reply again...
as I feel that what i've to convey to others i've conveyed it....good luck for you...

Searching

SPNer
Aug 8, 2011

I think you and I must be living in a different India that is 2 poles apart. In my life until now I have encountered such hindus on internet forums and never in reality.
Such guys are key board warriors, nothing more.
And even those "Internet Hindus" I found were quite supportive of Sikhs in general but critical of Muslims and Congress.
Since such people always support BJP, VHP and RSS they are automatically opposed to congress and that is where their criticism for MMS comes from.

I am a moderator of an internet forum with close to 130,000 members where most of the discussions are on such topics, though it is not an Indian politics group and it is from going through such discussions that I have formed my opinion that most radical Hindus are usually supportive of Indic faiths and its followers but very critical of Abrahamic faiths.

The only problem they have is that a minority of them claim all religions originating from India as a part of Hinduism.

Therefore at least in my oponion MMS is not targeted by Hindus (mainly BJP supporters) for his religion but for the party he represents.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM