• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pacific Indian Students Worst Hit By New Oz Visa Laws

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Indian students worst hit by new Oz visa laws - India - ibnlive

New Delhi: In what comes as a huge concern for Indian students in Australia, Canberra has toughened its immigration laws and has brought down the list of professions which qualify for immigration from 400 to 181.

Students who are already in Australia will be allowed to complete their courses but may have to return after a grace period. UK and Canada too have cracked down on immigrants from India.

Over the last one year, Indians have been at the receiving end of Australian racial attacks and mindless street violence. The tough new rules on the grant of student visas and permanent residence status will make it much harder for Indians to go to Australia.

Australian High Commissioner, Peter Verghese said, “We want students to come to Australia to study. We want them to come to Australia to do a course which they judge is in their best interests. We want to separate out the study pathway from the migration pathway.”

Beginning July 1, the number of visa-eligible jobs will drop from 400 to 181.

Graduates in cooking, hairstyling and gardening courses cannot hope for permanent residence. Instead, preference will be given to those on the new Skilled Occupations List which includes engineers, accountants, teachers, nurses, even welders and midwives.

Overseas Affairs Minister, Vayalar Ravi said, Indian students currently studying courses that are now banned, can continue to study there for the next 18 months. Australian government has agreed to allow all of them to stay on till 2012, post that period if they want to stay on then they will have to find a sponsor.

The number of Indian students in Australia had exploded from just 8,000 in 2005 to a 100,000 in 2010. The growing visibility of Indians and shrinking jobs in Australia led to friction and a violent backlash.

Australia's new immigration policy aims to let in only the professionals it needs and to tell its citizens that their jobs will not be taken by immigrants in times of recession.

polpol

SPNer
Jun 14, 2010
This is happening all over and does not target Indians only. It's plain racism. Europe, North America, Australia, are starting to feel uncomfortable as it becomes more and more evident that on a global level, they represent a tiny minority demographically speaking and that they can no longer ignore the vast majority of "ethnics" be it Indians, Africans, Asians,etc.
I think it's the North European countries that started twenty years ago, formulating the "necessity" of slowly shuting their fronteirs to immigration in order to preserve their "white" identities and values (and privilidges). As one friend said, if they are so worried of their survival as a race we should consider having special reserves like the ones for Aboriginals or for endangered animal species, HA! HA!
One thing is for sure, no laws can prevent the inevitable. I personally think that the present population mouvements are a very positive outcome of globalisation, it is good for the best interest of humanity as a whole. Whities need to wake up to today's realities and fix their superiority complex and their fear of the "other". As for Indians, I think they need to stick together as such and not let religeous or other divisions get in the way, though not being an Indian myself I have no business telling others what to do...:blinkingmunda:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
polpolj i

As a citizen of the earth your opinions have value. My own take on these issues matches yours very closely. The loss of privilege is an important factor. Economies benefit even now from immigration in political cultures that are not being honest within about their own motivations.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
This is happening all over and does not target Indians only. It's plain racism. Europe, North America, Australia, are starting to feel uncomfortable as it becomes more and more evident that on a global level, they represent a tiny minority demographically speaking and that they can no longer ignore the vast majority of "ethnics" be it Indians, Africans, Asians,etc.
I think it's the North European countries that started twenty years ago, formulating the "necessity" of slowly shuting their fronteirs to immigration in order to preserve their "white" identities and values (and privilidges). As one friend said, if they are so worried of their survival as a race we should consider having special reserves like the ones for Aboriginals or for endangered animal species, HA! HA!
One thing is for sure, no laws can prevent the inevitable. I personally think that the present population mouvements are a very positive outcome of globalisation, it is good for the best interest of humanity as a whole. Whities need to wake up to today's realities and fix their superiority complex and their fear of the "other". As for Indians, I think they need to stick together as such and not let religeous or other divisions get in the way, though not being an Indian myself I have no business telling others what to do...:blinkingmunda:

The biggest problem of white race is they have set their own Death trap.Their brith rate is so low that many predict that they will become extinct in 100-200 years.On the other hand birth rate in south Asia is quite high.With low birth rate their people want high salaries even for menial jobs which people from other countries can do at very cheap rate.So whenever They allow immigrants thousand of people just land their and salaries of their people goes down.No doubt they have to make direct or indirect laws to prevent immigration

polpol

SPNer
Jun 14, 2010
Yes Mai,
It is "normal" that Indians are being targeted (along with muslims but that's another story), since they represent the most potential, thus the most threat. :thumbsupp:Everyday we here how India is becoming strong but I never hear anyone applaud.
Remeber the song "Stand" by Sly and the family Stone?: "there is a midget standing tall and beside him the giant is about to fall" this is happening now. When I was young, it inspired me a lot because I could see things where not as they were supposed to be.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM