• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Inderaj Or Inderbir?

Bajwa93

SPNer
Jun 5, 2012
Hi guys I just joined recently and wanted to ask for your opinions on these two names.

Which name do you think would be better for a boy, Inderbir which means lord of bravery or Inderaj which I think means Lord of Kingdoms or Lord of the Kingdom?

Which name do you think would be good for a male Sikh in America, which one in your opinion would be easier for people (White, Black, Asians etc) to pronounce and remember?

My name is Ianbir Bajwa and I feel like changing "Ianbir" to something else because it's been bothering me all through my life. It doesn't even have a meaning and people including indians find it a bit weird, laughable and always ask me questions about it when I tell them for the first time.

My brothers and father have "bir" a the end of their names which is why I feel like having the name Inderbir, "inder" from my mother Jupinder and "bir" from my father Dharmbir.

It's cool to have "brave" at the end of our names in the family but I also like the sound of Inderaj and it is a bit uncommon which I like. I got the idea for Inderaj from my grandfather who wanted to name me Kalraj.

Anyways I usually go by the name Ian as a nickname but I would like to change my full name to an actual indian name that sounds good but is written and sounds a bit similar to Ian hence the reason why I put "inder" in the beginning of the two names.

My family doesn't seem to have a problem with it but I'm just having trouble with which name to go by in my life.

What are your thoughts on the two names?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Bajwa93ji

you are truly blessed by Guruji to find yourself in such a fix!

I want you to savour this time, remember it, because one day you will look back on it with much nostalgia and yearning, the day that your only problem was what name to go by :)

Personally, I think the name may have more meaning for your parents than yourself, as they named you, it is a gift to you from them, I am sure much thought went into it at the time,

I think it is a wonderful name, part anglo part indian,

if you want the social line on this, perhaps another forum would have been more prudent, but as a Sikh, I think changing the name your parents gifted you, that Guruji assisted in choosing the first letter, shows lack of humility and presence of ego

just my opinion, no offence intended

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Veerji Iana means:
ਇਆਣ - iāna - इआण
ਵਿ- ਅਜਾਨ. ਗ੍ਯਾਨ ਰਹਿਤ. ਅਨਜਾਣ। ੨. ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ- ਬੱਚਾ। ੩. ਅਗ੍ਯਾਨ.
वि- अजान. ग्यान रहित. अनजाण। २. संग्या- बॱचा। ३. अग्यान.

Ianbir could be a brave person ignorant of the malice in the world!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: