• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General In Line With Sikhi Or NOT?

The ideas put forth in this video are :-

• In line with Sikhi

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Partially in line with Sikhi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not in line with Sikhi

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
That is a good thread topic. thanks

I personally view the POV of the video as complete hogwash. But the discussion about it should be lively.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I chose 'not in line'.

The video says 'you knew', which implies that there was a 'me' who 'knew' something by itself before I was born.

Sikhi says we were created and that we are musical instruments to sing praises of Creator/Creation.
Sikhi says to break down the definitions of 'you' and 'me' and see One.

The video says 'you knew that the stability of this planet was secure' however Sikhi says that all that is created will be destroyed and the only thing that is really secure is Oneness.

The video says we create our own reality, Sikh history says we stand up for what's right and fight for it. I guess you could call this creating a reality through proactive, physical interaction with the world, but the video suggests our thoughts project vibrations which shape the world around us.

The video talks about 'tuning in' to your 'core' and recognising this core as being the essence of everything else - Agreed.

The video encourages taking 15 minutes a day to quiet your mind and focus on the 'source'. Sikhi says simran 24/7, i.e. constant rememberance of Oneness, as much as you can. It doesn't say '15 minutes a day, more is not really of any greater benefit' as the video does. Personally I acknowledge that meditation (which I think is what she's talking about) is helpful for the individual but I haven't really seen that taught specifically in Sikhi, that sort of quiet, purposeful meditation.

The video enourages us to be selfish (her word), yet Sikhs are encouraged to serve others. It talks about the diversity of creation (agreed) but follows it up with more talking about 'I can put my thoughts into what feels best'. It's about 'living happily ever after' and that sometimes you have to take an 'uncomfortable little detour'.

She's not kidding when she says it's about being selfish: the entire video is about YOU finding HAPPINESS and is not, in my personal opinion, encouringing us to recognise the interconnectedness of everything and making a group effort to physically help and serve others, which I think is what Sikhi teaches.

The video says that we are the 'creative leading edge mechanism of source' - i.e. whatever we create is what the Source is creating.. I disagree but I'm unable to articulate if that is me disagreeing personally or Sikhi disagreeing.

Overall, my personal assessment of the video is that it is a 'feel good' video and I'm suspicious of it's real motives. I'm sure it would be part of a seminar on wealth creation.

Thanks for sharing Astroboy, it was fun!! :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM