• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I'm Intrigued

Oct 11, 2010
So i am new to this website but i have been intrigued with the culture and religions of the world all my life even though i was raised a messianic jew in a very religiously strict family. I guess one could say i am young and doubting what has been drilled into my head from birth and am seeking what else could be out there. And recently in my search for questions and answers on god, religion, ways of living, etc etc... i found an article on wikipedia about the Sikh faith and was immediately drawn in with curiousity, so i futher started to search and found this website whch has already answered many questions i had but also created many new ones. so im just looking for alot of information about Sikhs and if i would be accepted by a Sikh community (the closest for me is in Denver) as a visitor, and maybe in the future a member.

Last edited by a moderator:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Visitors are always very welcome. We love to be able to teach people about ourselves as well as to learn about others to increase understanding and friendship :)

The Darbar Sahib (Golden Temple), which is the most visited Gurdwara (closest English word is temple but the Gurdwara means more than a place of worship for us and is not so much for worship but more a place of learning) has 4 doors-1 on each side to signify that a Gurdwara is open to all regardless of caste, colour, creed etc.

Member of the community? Absolutely!! But first begin walking along the path, everything else will come more easily

welcomemundawelcomekaur

Oct 11, 2010
Visitors are always very welcome. We love to be able to teach people about ourselves as well as to learn about others to increase understanding and friendship :)

The Darbar Sahib (Golden Temple), which is the most visited Gurdwara (closest English word is temple but the Gurdwara means more than a place of worship for us and is not so much for worship but more a place of learning) has 4 doors-1 on each side to signify that a Gurdwara is open to all regardless of caste, colour, creed etc.

Im so glad to hear this news!! ive looked so long for a group of people that accepts everyone equally and is willing to give knowledge and recieve knowledge because to me knowledge is the greatest resource any person can have.

sdad

SPNer
Feb 17, 2009
Hi Knowledge_Seeker,

Welcome. It's really good to hear many of your questions are now answered. I am intrigued though, as you say “found this website which has already answered many questions i had but also created many new ones.”, please share these newly created questions with us.

:happysingh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2010
please do pardon me for the late reply i have been very busy with studying. but an example and these are just a few of the questions i have is things such as, when would be an appropriate time to visit a Gurdwara? would there be any language barriers when i do visit the Gurdwara? how would i go about covering my head when i visit (like in judaism we wear a Yarmulka. And when i visit would there be someone similar to a rabbi or priest that i could speak with?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
knowledge seeker ji

About a year or so ago, Narayanjot Kaur uploaded in the New to Sikhism section a number of threads for individuals needing an introduction to basics in Sikhism. Here is one to get you started. It is comprehensive, and based on materials from the blog of Sukhmani Kaur at about.com.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/25846-gurdwara-what-to-expect-simple-overview.html

I assume that you are a male. When you enter a gurdwara, very close to the entrance and before you reach Darbar Sahib where worship services take place, there will be a place where bright orange head scarves are kept for men who do not tie turbans. This will be next to a sink where you must wash your hands. You can also wear a hat - e.g., a Homberg that covers your entire head, much as I recall the Orthodox gentlemen of my childhood wearing of a Friday evening on their way to services. You may also ask someone in the gurdwara whether the yarmolke is sufficient head covering. Something tells me NO, but I am not an expert.

Before you get involved in head scarves or hand-washing however find the shoe room, also very near to the entrance, and remove your shoes. Usually there are nice tidy shelves where they can be stored.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
I find the language barrier is negligible here in Australia as so many Punjabis can speak English and I imagine it's the same in other places.

Finding the courage to open ones mouth and ask questions is the hard part! I find that if you approach people without sufficient English skills, they make a very good effort to help you by taking you to English speaking people or bringing someone to you.

In my experience, people won't approach you in gurdwara sahib. You have to approach them. I think this might be a cultural thing? I've stood by the door looking nervous and had people ignore me (once someone closed the library door on me when I had a question!), but I don't think they're being rude necessarily, but they expect you to speak up if you need something, not be meek and just stand there. Once people know I have a voice I've never had a problem.

Regardless, you can do just fine in Gurdwara without even speaking to anyone. Know the basics like cover your head, wash your hands before you go into Darbar Sahib (the hall where Guru Granth Sahib is), wear tidy clean clothes, and then just do what everyone else does. Stand when they stand, bow when they bow, go to langar when they go.

You can be as involved or as withdrawn as you like has been my experience.

It's easier the first time if you can get someone to show you the ropes and arrange to meet you when you arrive. If you can, call or email the Gurdwara and you'll find they're probably more than willing to welcome you in and show you around.

Ishna

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
It's hard to smile when your nervous!

True but there are many instances in our lives when we have to overcome nervousness and behave in a way not coming naturally to us. I have always tried to approach someone new as I know I appreciate it when someone welcomes me to a new place. So many times I have been ignored by the new person and they behave either uninterested or like they don't really want to be there. I know you going in the first place should be a sign that you want to be there but unfortunately if your body language is at odds it gives the wrong impression. So make the effort to smile and relax and the welcomes will flow kudihug

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
For your consideration to overcome nervousness & cultural barriers:

"Smile! The Most Powerful Ice Breaker." :happykaur:

Here’s an experiment to try. Smile, right now! How did that feel? Was it natural? For most people it is not. Which is a shame because smiles are a natural, and very effective, way to connect with people.

Okay, another experiment. Smile at someone you normally wouldn’t, or a person you don’t know and see what happens. Did they smile back? More often than not, you’ll find that people naturally smile back in response to a smile they receive.

Imagine the power this can have. . You’re at a social event, or even in the supermarket. You catch someone’s eye, and smile. Automatically, they smile back. It’s human nature. Then you have every excuse to say hello!

Also, try smiling when you feel down. You’ll find that it is very difficult to stay down in the dumps with a smile on your face. It can be done, but it is all that more challenging to remain in your bad mood with a smile on your face.

In "The Definitive book of body language" Alan and Barbara Pease explain that people have a hard-wired "mirroring" instinct. We mirror the expressions that we see on other people’s faces when we meet them. Because of the effects that smiles have on us this can have a very powerful effect on your everyday interactions. Studies have shown that when you smile during an encounter with someone else, your encounter will run more smoothly and be likely to have a more positive outcome.

So take the smile challenge and smile at one more person than you normally would. Because of the mirroring you will be actively bringing happiness into the world. During these difficult times that can be a wonderful thing!

You will not only be bringing people happiness but positioning yourself for success. There are very few things that do not rely on interactions with others for their success. By smiling at someone before you ask a favor, even if it is only to ring up a total on a cash register, you are smoothing the process along. You are giving respect to the other person by acknowledging them. And I think that you will find that you will start to feel happier as well!

- rec'd from a friend

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
knowledge seeker ji

About a year or so ago, Narayanjot Kaur uploaded in the New to Sikhism section a number of threads for individuals needing an introduction to basics in Sikhism. Here is one to get you started. It is comprehensive, and based on materials from the blog of Sukhmani Kaur at about.com.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/new-to-sikhism/25846-gurdwara-what-to-expect-simple-overview.html

spnadmin Ji,

I wonder what happened to Narayanjot Kaur ?
:happysingh:

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Hello to you knowledge_seeker (these forums tend to have a somewhat impersonal edge to them with names; well mine is Gurdeep).

First and foremost you are trying to achieve an understanding of Sikhi by interacting with it's members. This is a good way. The Gurdwara is not a place of worship; no idols, no priests, no status, no rituals. Simply bow your head and enjoy the good vibes of Kirtan [spiritual music].

I would recommend assimlating more knowledge of what Sikhi is about by reading the Guru Granth. This is your ONLY way.

I understand you are of Jewish background. Sikhi is a way of life which we believe is universal. A man of any faith, background, etc can use the Guru's way to achieve the ultimate Aim of Life.

We Sikhs believe in essence all people of the world are Sikhs as we are all seeking God. We don't believe we are a religion, we adopt a discipline of direct contact with God. Hence why our so called religious institutions are run in a somewhat different way to religious places of worship.

Lets discuss further any other questions you may have. Perhaps in time all our other brothers and sisters here can join in and truly create a good conversation about God [i.e. do not get engrossed in fine details of "how to be a Sikh"...more like be a Sikh!]

Regards.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM