• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Want To Attend Gudwara. But All Of Their Contact Numbers Are Useless

Sep 30, 2010
Hello Everyone,

After 45 years of disappointment with religion. I decided to turn to Sikhi because after much research I find it to be a very peaceful way of living.

I listen to the prayers and read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (SGGS) and will order Punjabi study guides later today from amazon. However, I still feel very alone and isolated.

I've tried contacting EVERY Gurdwara in the Santa Clara & San Jose area but found either their phone number to be out-of-service or it's a fax line! Because I really want to begin volunteering at the local langar I'm disappointed and saddened by the lack of live gurdwara contact information.
This have driven me back into my reclusive 'shell'...

Thank you in advance for reading.

a.mother

SPNer
Jun 12, 2010
Canada
Welcome back to the roots, I think you are almost there when you have decided.Sorry for the phone numbers I can't help you because I don't live in the area.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Hello Everyone,

After 45 years of disappointment with religion. I decided to turn to Sikhi because after much research I find it to be a very peaceful way of living.

I listen to the prayers and read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib (Sri Guru Granth Sahib) and will order Punjabi study guides later today from amazon. However, I still feel very alone and isolated.

I've tried contacting EVERY Gurdwara in the Santa Clara & San Jose area but found either their phone number to be out-of-service or it's a fax line! Because I really want to begin volunteering at the local langar I'm disappointed and saddened by the lack of live gurdwara contact information.
This have driven me back into my reclusive 'shell'...

Thank you in advance for reading.

Rose191Dreamer,

Guru Fateh.

I love the love you have shown to learn about Sikhi. It teaches us to be pragmatists rather than dogmatic.

Sorry about the confusion of the telephone numbers.

I have asked my niece who lives in San Jose and visits the Gurdwara to come to this forum and help you out.Once she writes in here then both of you can make arrangements via PM's.She will be a great help. With her you will feel at home in the Gurdwara. Her name is Bandana.

Regards

Tejwant Singh

kaur.bandana

SPNer
Oct 7, 2010
Rose191Dreamer,

Please contact me privately through my email, ******. I would love to try and help you at the San Jose Gurdwara. Look Forward to hearing from you.

Bandana

It is not safe to give out personal details in the forum. Please use the private messaging service on SPN. Thanks, Jasleen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quantonium

SPNer
Oct 30, 2009
I have the same problem here in norway.. There are 2 gurdwaras, and it seems there is no way to contact them. I have never been to one, and the thought of going into one is quite frightening, especially since it's such a small community here in Norway. I don't know punjabi either, so it will certainly prove to be challenging, but I feel like I need to go to one soon.. I'm living my life as a sikh except that I don't have any of the five K's (besides uncut hair), and don't wear turban each day. And yet, I have never been to a gurdwara..

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
The sangat in Gurdwara's tends to be warm and welcoming, especially to people outside the community who show an interest in learning more so don't worry about just showing up. Please don't be frightened as I'm sure you'll have a good time welcomekaur
Jasleen Kaur

RicktheSikh

Writer
SPNer
May 19, 2018
Just show up! I didn't exactly know what was what when I first attended. I knew about Amritvela so I figured bright and early would be a good time. Mostly empty parking lot with the only signs of life coming from the back door of the langar hall. I tied my bandana on and approached. I awkwardly mentioned to the first person I encountered that "I want to be Sikh" and he guided me inside, demonstrated the routine as I followed, I received Karah Parshad and sat down for a few minutes. The large room was mostly empty and I felt like I was in a holy place. After a few minutes I was guided out to where a conversation could occur. It was explained to me that the full worship service would happen later. I asked if I could help in the kitchen and they said yes! I don't know why I was surprised but I was so excited to do seva for the first time. I cut wheel after wheel of paneer into small cubes with my new friend and I chanted Vaheguru quietly with the ladies making parshad. It was perfect and I am grateful to Vaheguru for making it perfect. So don't be afraid. Be a lion.

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Noone can drive you to do anything. We're all responsible for our own lives and our own choices. Humans will be humans.

Just go there physically, Gudwarras are open to all and you dont need an appointment to go and do seva. Just walk into the kitchen.

If youre worried about the customs there, go and ask when youre there.

Typically people cover their heads and the pastors there go ape if you dont for some reason- although it really should be a choice.

So may be a good idea to cover your head and take your shoes off when u get there. It actually helps with relaxing and meditating.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Noone can drive you to do anything. We're all responsible for our own lives and our own choices. Humans will be humans.

Just go there physically, Gudwarras are open to all and you dont need an appointment to go and do seva. Just walk into the kitchen.

If youre worried about the customs there, go and ask when youre there.

Typically people cover their heads and the pastors there go ape if you dont for some reason- although it really should be a choice.

So may be a good idea to cover your head and take your shoes off when u get there. It actually helps with relaxing and meditating.

Hmm pastors is probably not the best word as Sikhs don’t have any clergy to speak of. In smaller Gurdwaras the sangat (congregation) themselves do everything and larger Gurdwaras elect a new management committee every year or couple of years. And anyone from sangat can run for management. Kirtan (singing of hymns) is done by anyone. Though some musicians do it professionally and are known as ragis but I myself have done kirtan (on guitar no less and in historical Gurdwara in India). Anyone can read from the Sikh holy Granth (scripture) well any baptized Sikh who can read Gurmukhi the language it’s written. Though most larger Gurdwaras have a Granthi who does that though even then I have seen sangat take Hukamnama and read from Gurbani.

If you want to go to Gurdwara just show up. Sunday is best as not all Gurdwaras operate every day (smaller ones typically only Sunday) and they usually are Mornings around 10:00 am starting of kirtan etc woh Langar after. But try website or something or even just drive by to see if you can find out timing. If they are open just go in! Find someone and ask them to show you around.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Hmm pastors is probably not the best word as Sikhs don’t have any clergy to speak of. In smaller Gurdwaras the sangat (congregation) themselves do everything and larger Gurdwaras elect a new management committee every year or couple of years. And anyone from sangat can run for management. .

Lol Granthis, whatever you want to call them

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Lol Granthis, whatever you want to call them

I am sorry to say that this is not a laughing matter in Sikhi. Sikhi has no clergy which is a very important thing in this journey of the individual. A pastor is part of the Christian clergy which has nothing to do with Sikhi as explained by Harkiran ji.
A Custodian is a word that is normally used for the caretaker of the Gurdwara.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
What about people referred to as "Gyani" in the Gurdwara?

At the Gurdwara I used to go to, we had some people designated as Granthis, and the main Singh ji designated as Gyaniji. People would seek out Gyaniji's attention to ask questions and ask for explanations of bani.

But it does appear that even a "Gyaniji" in the Gurdwara setting has no special magical powers from God like the Priest does in a Christian church. Only the Priest can conduit God's power into the cracker and wine during Mass. But in Gurdwara, anyone can bless the Karah Prashad. Etc.

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
What about people referred to as "Gyani" in the Gurdwara?

At the Gurdwara I used to go to, we had some people designated as Granthis, and the main Singh ji designated as Gyaniji. People would seek out Gyaniji's attention to ask questions and ask for explanations of bani.

But it does appear that even a "Gyaniji" in the Gurdwara setting has no special magical powers from God like the Priest does in a Christian church. Only the Priest can conduit God's power into the cracker and wine during Mass. But in Gurdwara, anyone can bless the Karah Prashad. Etc.

Actually one can be considered a Gyani / Giani Ji without having caretaker duties of a Gurdwara. Basically a Granthi is a sevadar. They are caretaker or custodian as Tejwant Ji explaiend. Usually elected for a set time period. They open the Gurdwara, do sukhassan etc.

A Giani is someone we simply refer who is a scholar. Someone who does parchar etc and we respect as knowing what they are talking about usually through formal training for example at Sikh Missionary College etc. They don’t have to necessarily have an elected post at any Gurdwara. Some do parchar travelling around to many Gurdwaras and are invited by those Gurdwaras to do programs there. Some mostly reach out online.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Actually one can be considered a Gyani / Giani Ji without having caretaker duties of a Gurdwara. Basically a Granthi is a sevadar. They are caretaker or custodian as Tejwant Ji explaiend. Usually elected for a set time period. They open the Gurdwara, do sukhassan etc.

A Giani is someone we simply refer who is a scholar. Someone who does parchar etc and we respect as knowing what they are talking about usually through formal training for example at Sikh Missionary College etc. They don’t have to necessarily have an elected post at any Gurdwara. Some do parchar travelling around to many Gurdwaras and are invited by those Gurdwaras to do programs there. Some mostly reach out online.

Hmm, maybe it's different according to Gurdwara. Our Gyani was hired and remunerated and lived on site the Gurdwara and was caretakes. One granthi was paid a small amount, and another was a volunteer.

Plenty of other people also participated in SGGSJ-related activities, though.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I am sorry to say that this is not a laughing matter in Sikhi. Sikhi has no clergy which is a very important thing in this journey of the individual. A pastor is part of the Christian clergy which has nothing to do with Sikhi as explained by Harkiran ji.
A Custodian is a word that is normally used for the caretaker of the Gurdwara.

Lol you really seem to be reading all of my posts, I can feel you wagging a judgey finger at me lol (joke before you bite my head off).

No, It really doesnt matter what theyre called. Language is limited. We know what they are.

The Granthis do get up and do katha, similar to what pastors do. Potato Potato, God is One

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
No, It really doesnt matter what theyre called. Language is limited. We know what they are.

yes, but this discussion is not for people that have reached the grand heights of enlightenment like you, its for people that do not know anything about Sikhism or people interested, to those, it really does matter what they are called, try looking outside the self for a change, its not all about you..

Harkiran Kaur

Leader

Writer
SPNer
Jul 20, 2012
Lol you really seem to be reading all of my posts, I can feel you wagging a judgey finger at me lol (joke before you bite my head off).

The Granthis do get up and do katha, similar to what pastors do. Potato Potato, God is One

Actually anyone can do katha. A granthi is not necessarily any more qualified to do it than a learned member of sangat.

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
Here's a testimony of a Canadian couple who (re-)converted to Sikhi and (amongst other observations in the video) describe feeling isolated/alienated when they went to the gurdwara:

Question: is it a Punjabi thing?

As a gora (grew up in the 3HO cult), I have never found Punjabis to be particularly reserved outside of the gurdwara. But then, I happily chatter to them in my broken 3-year-old equivalent punjabi and it seems to amuse them, or at least engage them. In the gurdwara, I must admit that I don't feel like talking much socially anyways.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM