• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Believe In God, But Do Not Want To Follow Any Religion

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010
One of my learned friends has asked me a question. He says

" God created human but religions were not created by Him. I strongly believe in God and pray that I should not do any thing wrong.
I want to respect all religions but do not want to follow any religion. Religion is a failure as every religion is fighting every religion.
New religions are being created to milk people. New avatars of GODS are born in considerable number. People have different
sub religions which are again fighting among themselves. There is caste fighting. I can guide you to a Gurdwara where so called
low caste Mazhabis are not allowed. What benefit is my religion giving me?"

Khalsaji Please give your valuable comments

Attachments

• afterlife is recycling gurmatt 2.jpg
    afterlife is recycling gurmatt 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Reads: 262

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
re: I Believe in God, but Do not Want to Follow Any Religion.

Guru Nanak Ji Sahib DID NOT CREATE any religion..........The SGGS is NOT a religious text..its a WAY OF LIFE..JEEVAN JAACH..how to live our LIFE and meet the Maker when the time comes....the SGGS is a TOOL BOX...full of all types of TOOLS to help us shape our lives..and CREATE a new LIFE. You sound like...I LOVE SCHOOL and want to go to SCHOOL..but I wont listen to any teacher or read any books... Or this..I Love Carpentry and want to make the best furniture..BUT i hate the TOOL - BOX.. containing the saw hammer etc..thats a load of JUNK...and I hate the sight of wood.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

" God created human but religions were not created by Him. I strongly believe in God and pray that I should not do any thing wrong.
I want to respect all religions but do not want to follow any religion. Religion is a failure as every religion is fighting every religion.
New religions are being created to milk people. New avatars of GODS are born in considerable number. People have different
sub religions which are again fighting among themselves. There is caste fighting. I can guide you to a Gurdwara where so called

Well the answer is very simple .It is human nature to fight with Each other.Look at 20th centuries wars how many of them were cause by religion?
Please ask your friend to speak only in sign language because Language has divided more people than religions

.Then ask your friend never to be patriot to any country because love for country provokes many people to fight and die for your country.

There is nothing that can gurante humans will stop fighting.Look at Telengana movement .All; 3 regions of Andhra pradesh speak telugu but still Telanganities are fighting and even commtting suicide fir separate state

Aug 28, 2010

SACHBOL Ji,
First of all try to understand what makes you to believe.You should be getting the answer you may be looking for.

Prakash.S.Bagga

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

re·li·gion 
noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Hmm religion does not seem to adequately describe sikhism, or certainly my interpretation of sikhism, I think to adequately describe it for me, there would have to be a 6, if sikhism were to be described as a religion

6. To be in consonance with the truth, and one day, to be the truth

As there is no 6, I have to assume sikhism is a way of life rather than a religion

Aug 28, 2010

HARRY HALLER Ji,
Excellent elaboration of the meaning of the word Religion and how Sikhisim can be related to the word Riligion.
Yes,Sikhism is a Marag, A Path, A way to life as per No 6 of your message.

Prakash.s.Bagga

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Kiv sachiara hoeeah..kiv kuurreh tutteh paal...How to become one with TRUTH and break the WALL ( of Falsehood) standing between One and TRUTH....Hukm Razaaii challnna..OBEY HIS HUKM ALWAYS. His HUKM is His WILL...this is the First HOLE in the Wall of falsehood...and its got to be all smashed and destroyed by the time He Calls YOU..Ghallehy ayeh nanka SADDEH utth Jayeh...be READY as we have LIVED a GOOD LIFE as He Ordained...
And there is NO "after life..heaven or hell waiting for you....as the Forest Fire Burns down and destroys the OLD gaing Forest before it....NEW FRESH SHOOTS SPRING UP BEHIND...in the Fertile fields cleared by the same Fire....and New Forests spring UP and the Cycle goes on... see attached picture..

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Re: I Believe in God, but Do not Want to Follow Any Religion.

Sachbol ji can you please share the characteristics of your God? It is very undefined without some clear statement of what you understand it to be.

Sat Sri Akal.

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010

I agree. To reach Him we have to select a path and Sikhism is the best path as it does not criticize other paths.
It respects all the paths (religions ). Guru Nanakji has clearly given the message "Na koi Hindu Na Musalmaan" Let
us follow him. I agree he did not create any religion, he created an easy and simple way of life. Dhan Dhan Sri Guru
Nanakji, Dhan Dhan Sikhi and Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Saheb. I started this thread as this is a common man's doubt
and I am a very common man. Please keep on giving your valuable views. It is the requirement of the day

sachbol

SPNer
Feb 12, 2010

Kiv sachiara hoeeah..kiv kuurreh tutteh paal...How to become one with TRUTH and break the WALL ( of Falsehood) standing between One and TRUTH....Hukm Razaaii challnna..OBEY HIS HUKM ALWAYS. His HUKM is His WILL...this is the First HOLE in the Wall of falsehood...and its got to be all smashed and destroyed by the time He Calls YOU..Ghallehy ayeh nanka SADDEH utth Jayeh...be READY as we have LIVED a GOOD LIFE as He Ordained...
And there is NO "after life..heaven or hell waiting for you....as the Forest Fire Burns down and destroys the OLD gaing Forest before it....NEW FRESH SHOOTS SPRING UP BEHIND...in the Fertile fields cleared by the same Fire....and New Forests spring UP and the Cycle goes on... see attached picture..

Gyaniji, please keep on guiding. I do not have words to thank or appreciate !

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

Baba Farid ji about 400 years before Guru Nanak ji. Sikhism has a long history almost a thousand years may be.

‪Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Turia Turia Ja Farida‬‏ - YouTube

Enjoy.

Sat Sri Akal.

Not sure I have discussion on this issue on Sikhawareness.com and many of the posters believe that actually the bani of Baba farid in Guru granth sahib is not of Baba Farid of Shakarganj ,but it was different baba Farid as Earlier Baba Farid was Hardcore muslim missionary

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

In the beginning, every serious believer thinks the same. But when the mind's horizon expands and prejudices start appearing, it demands a theory in the form of a religious philosophy. So much so, the most basic questions like 'What/Who is God?','What is the purpose of one's life?','What is the status of virtues and vices/sins/' appear difficult to answer in the absence of a set philosophy. Sooner, the person may either be biased towards one religion or the other or may divert towards agnosticism and then atheism.
All religious philosophies are not the same and all the Gods of different religions aren't. Every religion is unique in some respect or the other. In my view, continuing indefinitely as a theist without any religious affiliation is very difficult, if not impossible.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Not sure I have discussion on this issue on Sikhawareness.com and many of the posters believe that actually the bani of Baba farid in Guru granth sahib is not of Baba Farid of Shakarganj ,but it was different baba Farid as Earlier Baba Farid was Hardcore muslim missionary
kds1980 ji I am not aware of that. If it is correct what you say, I stand corrected so please provide reference.

Sat Sri Akal.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

In the beginning, every serious believer thinks the same. But when the mind's horizon expands and prejudices start appearing, it demands a theory in the form of a religious philosophy. So much so, the most basic questions like 'What/Who is God?','What is the purpose of one's life?','What is the status of virtues and vices/sins/' appear difficult to answer in the absence of a set philosophy. Sooner, the person may either be biased towards one religion or the other or may divert towards agnosticism and then atheism.
All religious philosophies are not the same and all the Gods of different religions aren't. Every religion is unique in some respect or the other.

If I could thank you more than once for these 2 paragraphs I would.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

All religious philosophies are not the same and all the Gods of different religions aren't. Every religion is unique in some respect or the other. In my view, continuing indefinitely as a theist without any religious affiliation is very difficult, if not impossible.
Aristotle ji I did not want to impose and rather hear from the gentleman directly to say "What God meant for him or his questioner."

I agree with what you say. This is a common line of dominant religion (say Hinduism in India) to postulate likeness of others, specially smaller groups (say Sikhs in India) to be just much as they are. Way to assimilate and destroy smaller groups.

Sat Sri Akal.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA

kds1980 ji I am not aware of that. If it is correct what you say, I stand corrected so please provide reference.

Sat Sri Akal.

There is very little evidence available regarding Bhagats available

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

Aristotle ji I did not want to impose and rather hear from the gentleman directly to say "What God meant for him or his questioner."

I agree with what you say. This is a common line of dominant religion (say Hinduism in India) to postulate likeness of others, specially smaller groups (say Sikhs in India) to be just much as they are. Way to assimilate and destroy smaller groups.

Sat Sri Akal.

Exactly Sir, encouraging non-religionism in counties like India is equivalent to converting people into Hinduism. Any person who is not affiliated to any other religion is considered a Hindu. Parallely, Sikhs must encourage a strong religious philosophy among their community on the lines as Islamists and Christians have (not in the negative sense of the word, of course).
We must bring forth an indigeneous flavour of our religion for every community and ethnic group. For an instance, I have noticed for Christian missionaries that they include the culture of the country in their sermons where they preach, celebrate the local heroes, and take care not to include a huge load of foreign words the local people can't understand. That makes it easy for the common man to adopt Christianity, and I personally believe that is the secret of success of Christian missionaries in most of the Eastern countries. I am not saying that we should copy the Christian story, but firmly believe that one should adopt good measures from others. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece

There is a good book named 'ਗੁਰੂ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਵਾਲੇ ਸੇਖ ਫਰੀਦ ਦੀ ਭਾਲ' (In search of the Sheikh Farid of Guru Granth Sahib) by Prof.Pritam Singh. The writer believes that the Baba Farid is the same Farid Shakarganj and he was not a hardcore staunch muslim faqir who spent his life luring people into Islam as erroneously mentioned by the historians but was a Sufi, a mystic who was at oneness with God.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM