• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

I Am Confused Whether Allowed To Eat Non-Veg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Re: I am confused whether allowed to eat non veg

What I am trying to say is Guru granth sahib neither oppose meat eating,neither promote it.

THATS BECAUSE this is a NON-ISSUE...as far as GURMATT is concerned.
Its a MAN MADE 'issue"...actively promoted by the Vaishnavit nirmala udasis tradition in Sikhism. It has NO BASIS in GURBANI.

Read Siddh Ghhosht...the Saadhs/Yogis told very prouldy to GUru nanak Ji..WE live in the Forests..we eat ONLY roots, fruits etc...
GURU NANAK JI IGNORED IT COMPLETELY.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

Randip Singh ji, you sound exactly like my youngest brother! I'll answer you as I answer him. It is necessary for us to eat something in order to live. That being the case, it is best to eat as far down the food chain as is possible. That means eating plants. We know that animals possess some form of consciousness, have emotions, feel pain. As far as we know, plants have none of these properties.

Even with plants, though, it is best to do as little violence to them as possible. My best friend for nearly 50 years was a very gentle Jain lady. (Yes, the firebrand, hyperactive Sikh and and the quiet, passive Jain made a very odd couple, but that's a story for a different thread.) One day when we were both kids, we were walking past some shrubbery, me carelessly pulling off leaves as we walked. She touched my arm and said, "Mai, why are you doing that? Is there any reason you have to rip the plant's leaves off?" She was right, of course, but even my dear, gentle Lilly had to admit that we need to eat and plants are the best - indeed, the only - choice, if we don't eat meat.

Or perhaps we could all become like that yogi I read about elsewhere on SPN who hasn't eaten or drank for years. Not that I believe that story, though.:veryhappymunda:

Science to one side. We have to eat something is the argument meat eaters make too. The food chain too and which way it goes is relative.Tomorrow if a plant based Alien landed which was more intelligent than a human we would change our views.:happymunda:

I try and limit my reasoning to what Sikhi states.:thumbsupp:

What does Sikhism say about life and which life is concious? What does it state about human life compared to plant, animal, mineral?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Science to one side. We have to eat something is the argument meat eaters make too. The food chain too and which way it goes is relative.Tomorrow if a plant based Alien landed which was more intelligent than a human we would change our views.:happymunda:

I try and limit my reasoning to what Sikhi states.:thumbsupp:

What does Sikhism say about life and which life is concious? What does it state about human life compared to plant, animal, mineral?

All existence contains the jyot of the Eternal, is the jyot of the Eternal, is the Eternal. (Don't spread that around, though. If a certain critical mass of people discover this, the game will be over and we can all pick up our marbles and go home.)

I continue this silliness for one more post and then I stop. (There are much more serious things need doing!) There is no one reason that I personally eschew the chewing of dead animals. Chowing down on an animal corpse is unaesthetic to me. A dead fish or bird on my table looking at me with dead eyes nauseates me. There are also ecological reasons, that growing plants is more efficient use of resources than growing animals. (This would eliminate the consumption of dairy products, too, of course.) Also plants do not produce methane like cattle do. Neither do they spread disease by pooping!

In the end, though, these are just my reasons and, if chomping on a Big Mac is fulfilling and satisfying to someone else, go to it! I'm sure Guru ji has other things on its mind than being concerned with your diet.

This is a subject for fools. Not just my opinion. SGGS ji says it!

And clearly, I am one of those fools! :yippie: :woohoo:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

All existence contains the jyot of the Eternal, is the jyot of the Eternal, is the Eternal. (Don't spread that around, though. If a certain critical mass of people discover this, the game will be over and we can all pick up our marbles and go home.)

I continue this silliness for one more post and then I stop. (There are much more serious things need doing!) There is no one reason that I personally eschew the chewing of dead animals. Chowing down on an animal corpse is unaesthetic to me. A dead fish or bird on my table looking at me with dead eyes nauseates me. There are also ecological reasons, that growing plants is more efficient use of resources than growing animals. (This would eliminate the consumption of dairy products, too, of course.) Also plants do not produce methane like cattle do. Neither do they spread disease by pooping!

In the end, though, these are just my reasons and, if chomping on a Big Mac is fulfilling and satisfying to someone else, go to it! I'm sure Guru ji has other things on its mind than being concerned with your diet.

This is a subject for fools. Not just my opinion. SGGS ji says it!

And clearly, I am one of those fools! :yippie: :woohoo:

I definitely am one of those Fools.

Vegetarianism and Meat eating is a clear distraction for me.

India claims to be Vegetarian yet I have never seen animals treated so badly in my life.

Yet here in the UK, they are voracious meat eaters, yet treat an animal cruelly and you can be jailed.

More example of foolishness, and you are correct Mai ji, this whole issue is foolish and is a distraction to the message of Sikhi.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

The Creator makes the FOOD CHAIN..dendah rizk sambhaeh...
A LION would STARVE to death in a room full of jalebbis, ladoos, corn, wheat, grass oats whatever....
A Buffalo would Starve to death in a room full of chicken chops, lamb chops, steaks !!

Here are some FACTS...Meat eating..KAAM !! B.ULL ****. Thne Elephant is the worlds KAAM CHAMPION (Gurbani says so as welll)..and its a VEGETARIAN !! Even a PAPER machete of a FEMALE ELEPHANT can get a Male elephant GOING !!

The LION is a MEAT EATER..it has RAREST SEX among animals...very very rarely in a YEAR

MILK..so much PROMOTED by Vegetrainas and Sadahs Babas Mahapurass who like to clal it SAMUNDAR and drink oceans of it (donated by the Householder sangats of course)...BUT everyoen KNOWS....THat MILK is an APHRODISIAC....PROMOTES SEX DRIVE.....ever wonderd why the NEWLY WEDS always DRINK A GLASS OF MILK ON SUHAAG RAAT (Honeymoon night )....Dudh peeley weh..mehn saree raat dee kharree !!!

Detailed article follows..can be read at Sikh Marg ???? ???? by Principal Surjit Singh Missionary of Delhi with GURBANI QUOTES.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom

The Creator makes the FOOD CHAIN..dendah rizk sambhaeh...
A LION would STARVE to death in a room full of jalebbis, ladoos, corn, wheat, grass oats whatever....
A Buffalo would Starve to death in a room full of chicken chops, lamb chops, steaks !!

Here are some FACTS...Meat eating..KAAM !! B.ULL ****. Thne Elephant is the worlds KAAM CHAMPION (Gurbani says so as welll)..and its a VEGETARIAN !! Even a PAPER machete of a FEMALE ELEPHANT can get a Male elephant GOING !!

The LION is a MEAT EATER..it has RAREST SEX among animals...very very rarely in a YEAR

MILK..so much PROMOTED by Vegetrainas and Sadahs Babas Mahapurass who like to clal it SAMUNDAR and drink oceans of it (donated by the Householder sangats of course)...BUT everyoen KNOWS....THat MILK is an APHRODISIAC....PROMOTES SEX DRIVE.....ever wonderd why the NEWLY WEDS always DRINK A GLASS OF MILK ON SUHAAG RAAT (Honeymoon night )....Dudh peeley weh..mehn saree raat dee kharree !!!

Detailed article follows..can be read at Sikh Marg ???? ???? by Principal Surjit Singh Missionary of Delhi with GURBANI QUOTES.

Well Gyani ji, Milk is in effect Cow's blood!! :happysingh:

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

Randip Ji..
Of course it is...white blood..( blood without the red paletes) .but whos to "samjhah" these vegetarian freak babas and mahapurshs who distort gurbani for their taste buds...what they love to eat..is ok inspite fo facts and science saying otherwise...:happysingh:

wth

SPNer
Jan 5, 2011

Sikhs, especially Amritdhari are forbidden from eating meat. If your a amritdhari Sikh it depends where you have taken your amrit and what rules the panj pyaare have given you to be exact. But a universal law in Sikhism, is that meat consuption is wrong and yes obviously it is a sin, since it involves the death and end of another being. Eggs should also not be eaten, since an egg is meant to be a chick, and hence eating it prevents its birth. Everything else is edible. Dhaal, paneer, sholay, samosa, these are all fine.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Sikhs, especially Amritdhari are forbidden from eating meat. If your a amritdhari Sikh it depends where you have taken your amrit and what rules the panj pyaare have given you to be exact. But a universal law in Sikhism, is that meat consuption is wrong and yes obviously it is a sin, since it involves the death and end of another being. Eggs should also not be eaten, since an egg is meant to be a chick, and hence eating it prevents its birth. Everything else is edible. Dhaal, paneer, sholay, samosa, these are all fine.

We have been on and on about this point for years. There is no prohibition against eating meat in Sikhism. NONE WHATSOEVER. The Sikh Rehat Maryada does not foribid it. Other rahats such as that of AKJ do not constitute a law of any sort. As such, the "universal law" is neither about what you eat or about sins connected to the consumption of meat, unless you are a baptized Sikh.

The only prohibition and only for baptized Sikhsis against meet butchered in "the Muslim way" ie., halal. Here is what makes you bujjar kurehit.

The under mentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided:
1. Dishonoring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one’s spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

There is nothing more to say about this. It is that simple.

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia

In my opinion, Answer to this question lies in identifying what is not living. Plants are living, Animals are living, the Stones have living beings inside it even the dead bodies have living creatures inside it. Question is what is not living. If eating meat is killing animals, then eating plants is killing plants. This has been already discussed in this thread, could not understand why it got reopened. If one does not like eating one type of food, don’t force it on others using religion. That would be misrepresentation of religion and its principles. As Mai g said, its more about choice than religion. We have been forbidden Kutha, because it is a manmade ritualistic practice to please gods.

Sikhism rejects rituals not any type of food.

ਪੰਨਾ 10
ਸੈਲ ਪਥਰ ਮਹਿ ਜੰਤ ਉਪਾਏ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਰਿਜਕੁ ਆਗੈ ਕਰਿ ਧਰਿਆ ॥੧॥
ਜੇਹੜੇ ਜੀਵ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਚਿਟਾਨਾਂ ਤੇ ਪੱਥਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਪੈਦਾ ਕੀਤੇ ਹਨ, ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦਾ ਭੀ ਰਿਜ਼ਕ ਉਸ ਨੇ (ਉਹਨਾਂ ਦੇ ਪੈਦਾ ਕਰਨ ਤੋਂ) ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਹੀ ਬਣਾ ਰਖਿਆ ਹੈ।੧।

ਪੰਨਾ 472, ਸਤਰ 14
ਗੋਹੇ ਅਤੈ ਲਕੜੀ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕੀੜਾ ਹੋਇ ॥
गोहे अतै लकड़ी अंदरि कीड़ा होइ ॥
Gohe aṯai lakṛī anḏar kīṛā ho▫e.
In cow-dung and wood there are worms.

ਪੰਨਾ 472, ਸਤਰ 14
ਜੇਤੇ ਦਾਣੇ ਅੰਨ ਕੇ ਜੀਆ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
जेते दाणे अंन के जीआ बाझु न कोइ ॥
Jeṯe ḏāṇe ann ke jī▫ā bājẖ na ko▫e.
As many as are the grains of corn, none is without life.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bhul Chuk Maaf
Rupinder Singh
mundahug

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Rupinder Singh ji

Typically we do not close threads unless a conversation has gone completely out of hand. Everyone can express an opinion, or point to a given fact. Or form an opinion based on evaluation of facts. I truly appreciate your thoughtful analysis. You asked
This has been already discussed in this thread, could not understand why it got reopened.
I have the same question.

The subject is revisited over and over again because the it is the nature of Internet forums for some posters to respond to the last 2 or 3 comments in a thread, and then shoot from the hip. Or perhaps they read the entire thread and shoot from the hip, saying what is an opinion only, but not an opinion that is formed after careful reading and reflection. Perhaps all that reflection takes the fun out of forums for them.

Thanks for doing the needful -- that is, providing an opinion after a careful and thoughtful consideration of Gurbani.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

I definitely am one of those Fools.

Vegetarianism and Meat eating is a clear distraction for me.

India claims to be Vegetarian yet I have never seen animals treated so badly in my life.

Yet here in the UK, they are voracious meat eaters, yet treat an animal cruelly and you can be jailed.

More example of foolishness, and you are correct Mai ji, this whole issue is foolish and is a distraction to the message of Sikhi.

I agree with you it is personal and not prescribed in sikhi to be veggie or non-veggie (I am non-veggie) and my father and common folk in Punjab used to call meat Mahan Parshad.

I do want to comment about the following,

"Yet here in the UK, they are voracious meat eaters, yet treat an animal cruelly and you can be jailed."

The following may or not may be applicable to UK but if you want to turn your stomach about some humanity's inhumanity towards animals in the west get hold of the following,

The movie Title is: The Earthlings
Following original URL to purchase,
http://www.earthlings.com/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXTREME CAUTION
THIS MOVIE IS DOCUMENTARY STYLE AND EXTREMELY GRAPHIC

ONLY WATCH IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO PUT SOME CRUEL IMAGES IN YOUR MIND'S MEMORY FOR LIFE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to turn it off many a times while watching.

Sat Sri Akal.

wth

SPNer
Jan 5, 2011

We have been on and on about this point for years. There is no prohibition against eating meat in Sikhism. NONE WHATSOEVER. The Sikh Rehat Maryada does not foribid it. Other rahats such as that of AKJ do not constitute a law of any sort. As such, the "universal law" is neither about what you eat or about sins connected to the consumption of meat, unless you are a baptized Sikh.

The only prohibition and only for baptized Sikhsis against meet butchered in "the Muslim way" ie., halal. Here is what makes you bujjar kurehit.

The under mentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided:
1. Dishonoring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one’s spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

There is nothing more to say about this. It is that simple.

okay i can contradict everything you said with written parts of Guru Granth Sahib ji and other sikh scriptures.
However, i think its pretty common sense to see why eating meat is wrong? is it not?? so your telling me only halal meat should not be eaten but every other method of killing a animal is justifiable and the meat can be eaten? what a load of rubbish. Sikhs protect the innocent and defend the weak yeah? they fight in defense yes?? but attacking and killing a animal is okay, even though there are numerous vegetarian sources of food, where animals do not have to suffer?? you reckon Guruji allows this?? Even a atheist with some intellect can see, that eating meat is not logical or morally correct, so why cant you? assuming you call yourself a Sikh??

Most of these kinds of arguments have already been discussed over years in the thread Fools Who Wrangle over Flesh. There is no need to repeat all of this.

wth

SPNer
Jan 5, 2011

May i clear up, everyone has freedom of choice, that is the joy of being a human. But its clear that eating meat in Sikhism is not allowed or encouraged, and if you wish to eat it you may do so, but you will face consequences as it is classed as a sin, since you are clearly ending the life prematurely of a animal (that was created by Waheguru) and are using it to please your shallow desire of hunger. If you cant understand the logic of that i feel sorry for you. 'What goes around comes around' i bet many 'westerners' have heard that phrase before.

You are warned not to repeat yourself. Furthermore you are in no position to make declarations as to what is a sin, who is a sinner, and who is pleasing their shallow desires. The statement "Wat goes around comes around" sounds like a threat. This may lead to termination of your membership here at SPN.

wth

SPNer
Jan 5, 2011

OH and SPNADMIN.

In case you dont believe me about the quotations from Guru Granth Sahib ji, it is stated clearly and numerous times the problems you will face when eating meat and how it is a sin, Bhagat Kabir states this a number of times, just because one paragraph in Guru Granth Sahib ji does no clearly state whether meat is acceptable or not (yet does not say human can eat it) does not give a excuse to ignore the other 15-20 passages putting down the consuption of meat. Fact. You can research this for yourself, but if for some reason you do not have the 'motivation', i can show you these passages.

You are warned not to repeat the same arguments over and over. If you do I will begin deleting them.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

wth ji

First let me point out that you are saying the same thing over and over and adding nothing that you have not already said before. This can be interpreted as spam, and also as an at tempt to divert the thread and take it off topic.

Second, let me point out that Sri Guru Granth Sahib is a blueprint for living a moral and ethical life, using the shabad as a way to connect with the Divine within each of us. It is not a rulebook, and therefore does not contain any dietary codes. The SRM on the other hand does prohibit meat slaughtered "in the Muslim way" to baptized Sikhs.

You may, and it is your prerogative, point to moral and ethical concerns for all living things, as voiced by Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. It might be a good idea to post those shabads where this is the case.

However, the decision to apply one's understanding of the bani of Sant Kabir ji, or anyone else, for that matter, is a personal decision. And the discussion belongs elsewhere on a different thread, not this one.

I also want to point out that threads that discuss veg vs nonveg inevitably go in circles, and people get nasty. And I think this happens because there is no way to convince some members of "either side" to conduct a civil discussion. That is usually the case when our decisions in life are driven by blind emotionality instead of thoughtful reflection. And that is what is wrong with your comments right now.

Many of your points have already been posted on several other threads. Fools Who Wrangle Over Flesh, title taken from Guru's own shabad, is the place to post your remarks. To repeat: There is no absolutist rule against eating meat in Sikhism. Every Sikh is free to be agnostic on this issue.

wth

SPNer
Jan 5, 2011

okay, deleted insulting language. I will give the quotations, as you have given me one about 'dealing over flesh is for fools' etc. Here are somoe quotations, i hope you dont end up deleting my post if you cant handle it:

ਬੰਦੇ ਚਸਮ ਦੀਦੰ ਫਨਾਇ ॥
ਦੁਨਂ​*ੀਆ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਖੁਰਦਨੀ ਗਾਫਲ ਹਵਾਇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ਗੈਬਾਨ ਹੈਵਾਨ ਹਰਾਮ ਕੁਸਤਨੀ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਬਖੋਰਾਇ ॥
ਦਿਲ ਕਬਜ ਕਬਜਾ ਕਾਦਰੋ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੨॥
banday chasam deedaN fanaa-ay.
duneeN-aa murdaar khurdanee gaafal havaa-ay. rahaa-o.
gaibaan haivaan haraam kustanee murdaar bakhoraa-ay.
dil kabaj kabjaa kaadro dojak sajaa-ay. ((2))

O human being, whatever you can see with your eyes, shall perish.
The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. ((Pause))
Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat.
So control your urges, or else you will be seized by the Lord, and thrown into the tortures of hell

ਜੀਅ ਬਧਹੁ ਸੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਅਧਰਮੁ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਤ ਭਾਈ ॥
ਆਪਸ ਕਉ ਮੁਨਿਵਰ ਕਰਿ ਥਾਪਹੁ ਕਾ ਕਉ ਕਹਹੁ ਕਸਾਈ ॥੨॥
jee-a baDhahu so Dharam kar thaapahu aDhram kahhu kat bhaa-ee.
aapas ka-o munivar kar thaapahu kaa ka-o kahhu kasaa-ee. ((2))

You kill living beings, and call it a righteous action.
Tell me, brother, what would you call an unrighteous action?
You call yourself the most excellent sage; then who would you call a butcher?

ਕੂੜੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਮੁਰਦਾਰੁ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਅਵਰੀ ਨੋ ਸਮਝਾਵਣਿ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਮੁਠਾ ਆਪਿ ਮੁਹਾਏ ਸਾਥੈ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਐਸਾ ਆਗੂ ਜਾਪੈ ॥੧॥
Kūṛ bol murḏār kẖā▫e. Avrī no samjẖāvaṇ jā▫e.
Muṯẖā āp muhā▫e sāthai. Nānak aisā āgū jāpai. ॥1॥

Telling lies, they eat dead bodies. And yet, they go out to teach others.
They are deceived, and they deceive their companions. O Nanak, such are the leaders of men.

ਹਕੁ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਉਸੁ ਸੂਅਰ ਉਸੁ ਗਾਇ ॥ ਗੁਰੁ ਪੀਰੁ ਹਾਮਾ ਤਾ ਭਰੇ ਜਾ ਮੁਰਦਾਰੁ ਨ ਖਾਇ ॥
ਗਲੀ ਭਿਸਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਈਐ ਛੁਟੈ ਸਚੁ ਕਮਾਇ ॥ ਮਾਰਣ ਪਾਹਿ ਹਰਾਮ ਮਹਿ ਹੋਇ ਹਲਾਲੁ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
ਨਾਨਕ ਗਲੀ ਕੂੜੀਈ ਕੂੜੋ ਪਲੈ ਪਾਇ ॥੨॥
hak paraa-i-aa naankaa us soo-ar us gaa-ay. gur peer haamaa taa bharay jaa murdaar na khaa-ay.
galee bhisat na jaa-ee-ai chhutai sach kamaa-ay. maaran paahi haraam meh ho-ay halaal na jaa-ay.
naanak galee koorhee-ee koorho palai paa-ay. ॥2॥

To take what rightfully belongs to another, would be like a Muslim eating pork, or a Hindu eating beef.
Our Guru, our Spiritual Guide, stands by us, if we do not eat those carcasses.
By mere talk, people do not earn passage to Heaven. Salvation comes only from the practice of Truth.
By adding spices to forbidden foods, they are not made acceptable.
O Nanak, from false talk, only falsehood is obtained. ॥2॥

ਕਬੀਰ ਭਾਂਗ ਮਾਛੁਲੀ ਸੁਰਾ ਪਾਨਿ ਜੋ ਜੋ ਪ੍ਰਾਨੀ ਖਾਂਹਿ ॥
ਤੀਰਥ ਬਰਤ ਨੇਮ ਕੀਏ ਤੇ ਸਭੈ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਜਾਂਹਿ ॥੨੩੩॥
kabeer bhaaNg maachhulee suraa paan jo jo paraanee khaaNhi.
tirath barat naym kee-ay tay sabhai rasaatal jaaNhi. ॥233॥

Kabeer, those mortals who consume marijuana, fish and wine
- no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ॥233॥

There are many more quotes out there if anyone else is still interested.

And for the sake of others dont delete this post spnadmin, let others make there own decisions even if you want to eat meat, or find it acceptable. Peace.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Yes, let's do this

And for the sake of others dont delete this post spnadmin, let others make there own decisions even if you want to eat meat, or find it acceptable. Peace.

All the shabads, and the one you just posted, that are connected to this issue have been discussed and debated at this thread. Thanks.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/8828-fools-who-wrangle-over-flesh-72.html

Let's move on with the discussion

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia

wth ji,

Could you please enlightened about your understanding of my question.

Q: Identify what is living and what is not. Could you please list all these items category wise so that we can be more considerate while choosing the food.

Your thoughts reflect that you consider plants not as living beings, does that mean you don't agree with GURU ji' s statement

ਪੰਨਾ 472, ਸਤਰ 14
ਜੇਤੇ ਦਾਣੇ ਅੰਨ ਕੇ ਜੀਆ ਬਾਝੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥

If you are of the thoughts that Plants have lesser level of senses, so can be killed

Q: My question is how do we measure the level of senses of plants?

Q: Does it mean, that plants have lesser love for their life and can be killed.

Q: Does it mean that any animal who cant hear, see or speak can be killed for food without any sin, just like plants?

Gurbani advises us to attain the highest level of understanding and be as much knowledgeable as we can, and be passionate of whatever we do.

Q: Does it mean that from being non-veg, we should turn to being vegetarian and then from being vegetarian we should become vegan and then from vegan to the next stage just as followed by Jainism. In that respect should we follow Jainism practice in this particular regard. If not why, please explain.

Please be specific about your answers and try to answer each question under it in point form, So that I can understand your perspective more clearly with respect to each doubt I have.

Looking forward to hear from your side.

Thanks

Rupinder Singh
:sippingcoffeemunda:

Status
Not open for further replies.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM