• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Wrong Am I?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Gurfatehji,

I have now spent several months in contemplation of my life, and how I can be a better sikh, this is not made any easier by the many many conflicting views that exist not only on the internet, but indeed on this forum. In my view every moment trying to get another to see your point of view, is a moment wasted, after a while, all you are left with is your own mind, and whatever interpretation your mind puts on Gurbani.

SO without further ado, here lies my interpretation of Gurbani that I have finally found some peace with, I do not think it was the intention of our Gurus to have us beat ourselves up about how short we fall, as long as we accept that we fall short, I think the problem lies with those that fall short and then manipulate Gurbani to suit their own shortcomings. This is my heartfelt view, and is personal only to me and my circumstances, so I have dispensed with the use of the words, I think, possibly, maybe,

I live in a world surrounded by the creation of a force. This force is the pinnacle of duality, it knows everything, it knows nothing, it is in everything, it is in nothing, it responds to all names, it has no name, it is the biggest thing you could imagine, it is the smallest thing,

I almost feel like where this force is concerned, take everything you know about it, and embrace the opposite, you still know as much about it as you did before,

This force does not care what you do, what you think, what you say, what you eat, however there are consequences to your actions, words, deeds, and if you are savvy, you will know which actions, words, deeds, thoughts are going to bear fruit for you, or bear poison, luck exists, but not in the stars or in rituals, luck is the good fortune of having certain circumstances together which may boost something that will bear you fruit, or ease your poison, so in that sense, we can make our own luck, by keeping our eyes and ears open, and being receptive to moods and circumstances.

This force does not need your prayer, you pray for yourself, for your own ends, neither does it need your praise or worship, if you feel the need to express the joy of your living in prayer and worship, great, if you feel the need to express this by sewa, great, however a wise person would explore the words and philosophies as contained in the Guru written manuscripts, and devour them, hungrily to expand their own knowledge base to call upon whilst living,.

Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.

I have now basically come full circle back to where I was when I first landed here, the only difference is I have lost the wolf, tamed one of the last of my destructive habits, and now believe in god, and call myself a sikh.

However I refuse to beat myself up that I still do not have a turban, still drink, and still love intimacy, I intend to live for a while in this state, till my next big push, and I can honestly say I am quite happy to be me.

How Wrong am I?

Pablo

SPNer
Aug 19, 2011
I am glad that another person has found happiness within themselves and who they are...

Subjectively speaking now we just need to get you to that state without needing a faith in a force or a creator !

;)

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Thank you Veer Pabloji,

creator/force exists, it is not a question of faith, nor is it a question of compromise, I have no faith at all, I am as sure that this force exists as I am that you are my brother, neither have I compromised, the benefits of complete submission are just not open to me if I hold this position, but I am going to hold this position regardless as it is, for me, the balance between living and being an ascetic, it is peaceful, and I am content, pushing forward just brings on guilt at what I lack, falling behind just brings confusion,

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Gurfatehji,

I have now spent several months in contemplation of my life, and how I can be a better sikh, this is not made any easier by the many many conflicting views that exist not only on the internet, but indeed on this forum. In my view every moment trying to get another to see your point of view, is a moment wasted, after a while, all you are left with is your own mind, and whatever interpretation your mind puts on Gurbani.

SO without further ado, here lies my interpretation of Gurbani that I have finally found some peace with, I do not think it was the intention of our Gurus to have us beat ourselves up about how short we fall, as long as we accept that we fall short, I think the problem lies with those that fall short and then manipulate Gurbani to suit their own shortcomings. This is my heartfelt view, and is personal only to me and my circumstances, so I have dispensed with the use of the words, I think, possibly, maybe,

I live in a world surrounded by the creation of a force. This force is the pinnacle of duality, it knows everything, it knows nothing, it is in everything, it is in nothing, it responds to all names, it has no name, it is the biggest thing you could imagine, it is the smallest thing,

I almost feel like where this force is concerned, take everything you know about it, and embrace the opposite, you still know as much about it as you did before,

This force does not care what you do, what you think, what you say, what you eat, however there are consequences to your actions, words, deeds, and if you are savvy, you will know which actions, words, deeds, thoughts are going to bear fruit for you, or bear poison, luck exists, but not in the stars or in rituals, luck is the good fortune of having certain circumstances together which may boost something that will bear you fruit, or ease your poison, so in that sense, we can make our own luck, by keeping our eyes and ears open, and being receptive to moods and circumstances.

This force does not need your prayer, you pray for yourself, for your own ends, neither does it need your praise or worship, if you feel the need to express the joy of your living in prayer and worship, great, if you feel the need to express this by sewa, great, however a wise person would explore the words and philosophies as contained in the Guru written manuscripts, and devour them, hungrily to expand their own knowledge base to call upon whilst living,.

Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.

I have now basically come full circle back to where I was when I first landed here, the only difference is I have lost the wolf, tamed one of the last of my destructive habits, and now believe in god, and call myself a sikh.

However I refuse to beat myself up that I still do not have a turban, still drink, and still love intimacy, I intend to live for a while in this state, till my next big push, and I can honestly say I am quite happy to be me.

How Wrong am I?
Harry brother you are among others in a same state and include me if you be so kind. You are absolutely right and not with anyone's assistance, if I may say winkingmunda. I believe Sinner brother is pretty close but he is looking for perfection and he needs to give up on that (oh no did I hijack the thread, this is about Harry :angryyoungkaur:).

Wonderfully stated and it is not rocket science but a blissful realization.

Sat Sri Akal.

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Veer Ji ,I was trying to abstain, but sister Ji was 'Losing her faith' on the other thread,and she emptied her heart full of dread,I wrote her a poem as she was in a state, thought better say something before it's too late!
If there is anyone on this earth who is not looking for the perfection (God)?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Please don't abstain veerji, you do not realise how important the shinning of your torch is on subjects like these, I will learn from you whether you like it or not :)

<putting hand up> I am not looking for god, nor perfection, I am on a journey of knowledge and understanding, god has already found me, as he has found you, but it is a dangerous road to feel that tomorrow will bring the answers, when all we have is today, no?

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
Harry Veer Ji ,Ambarsaria ,Harry and me ,we are the three musketeers! All for One,One for all ! you know it all ,it just needs to be realised veera.If you were born on desert Island, no other person on it,how would you do it ,only you know how right or wrong you are. As the poet said only a person with a saaf neet (clean mental intention)meets God

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I ask myself, what does "Sikh" mean? It means "to learn". If we show that willingness to learn then we're on the right path. If all adherents to our faith knew everything, then we wouldn't be called teh Sikh Faith but the Guru Faith. :)

The aim's such as controlling the 5 thieves and moving from Self willed to God willed is difficult, and the reality is we all fluctuate betweeen the two.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Hmm I would say Ambersariaji has to be Aramis, Leeji would have to be Athos, I would happily be Porthos, that leaves Sinnerji with D'artagnan (being the youngest)

all for one and one for all? Ishnaji would have to be constance, Maiji, Spnadminji and Aman singh would be have to collectively be the King and Queen, and Pabloji can be Cardenal Richelieu, all for one, and more for me

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Hmm I would say Ambersariaji has to be Aramis, Leeji would have to be Athos, I would happily be Porthos, that leaves Sinnerji with D'artagnan (being the youngest)

all for one and one for all? Ishnaji would have to be constance, Maiji, Spnadminji and Aman singh would be have to collectively be the King and Queen, but could kdsji please be Cardenal Richelieu, I just feel he probably has the beard for it

HAhahhahah Harry ji,

So I have gone from the youngest to the fattest! Ohh brother!

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Leejio you are second oldest! I am not sure where you are in the fat stakes, hey hang on, wasnt porthos the fat one?

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010

Scarlet Pimpernel

We seek him here,we sikh
Writer
SPNer
May 31, 2011
In the Self
The great thing about them they were all different but firm friends ,I never saw them train it was if they had innate fighting ability or confidence.Here we train our minds so that our words may fight for us.
Veer Ji I still do not understand how you embed those clips, every time I try I fail,If my Lord weighs my technical ability it will be light.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
The great thing about them they were all different but firm friends ,I never saw them train it was if they had innate fighting ability or confidence.Here we train our minds so that our words may fight for us.
Veer Ji I still do not understand how you embed those clips, every time I try I fail,If my Lord weighs my technical ability it will be light.

Sinner veer it is very simple. Say for practice you double click one of the above and as it is playing you right click with your mouse. It will show you option for URl. You copy it there and then in the post you just right click and say paste. Hope it helps. Try it. I thought you posted a long Kirtan from Manchester once.
Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Sinner ji you are absolutely right about weapons training. You either have a mind of a mouse or mind of a lion. Everything follows after that innately.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM