• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How to respectfully learn more about Sikhism?

Feb 19, 2023
I'm a 19 year old, white female who lives in the western U.S.
I've been raised agnostic and encouraged to explore religions.
I'm interested in Sikhism, but I'm worried about how to go about learning more about it.
There's a Sikh Temple nearby that I considered going to, to ask questions, but I don't know how to approach it, if the clothes I have are appropriate, or even if I'm allowed to.
Would it be disrespectful for me to go? Are there certain days and times I should avoid? Specific times I should go? Is Sikhism a closed practice? Is a black or silver shawl ok to cover my head, I've only got the two?
I'm not sure where to begin, and what sources online I can trust as an accurate guide, so I thought I'd reach out to forums and see if I could get answers there.
Thank you for your time.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
sikh religion believes in one God. equality is fundamental. no restriction for any one to go to sikh gurdwara but to cover the head any way or shape. You can go there any time. take off shoes where other people do and keep shoe there. sikh commandment is. make your living by honest means, help the poor and recite God. As for helping the poor or any one just log in earthquake in Turkya and find out how sikh community helps there. sikh scripture guides the person how to become divine by cleansing your mind. it deals with you, your guru and your mind. there are no stories in the scripture. it is written in poetry in Punjabi language by 42 saints and gurus who were divine. it is first hand experience. Just go to gurdwara, remove your shoes and keep where other people keep and cover your heead with some cloth of there are small cloth kept at the entrance next to shoe removal. take one and cover your head. male and female it separately. listen to the keetran (God's praises) sung by the raagis. at the end there is a prayer . all stand up and pray to God at the end it proclains God bless all. Sikh faith respects all faiths. After prayer there is food served.people sit on the ground on a carpet an indian type vegetarian food served to all for free. if you have furth question ask on this site.

swarn bains

Poet
SPNer
Apr 8, 2012
my dear 19 year old interested in Sikh religion. i have translated sikh religious scripture in English. If you have any interest to read and follow then i can send the translation to you. if so advise. i can put it here as well if you want to copy from here so be. advise please

mystery

SPNer
Nov 19, 2022
I'm a 19 year old, white female who lives in the western U.S.
I've been raised agnostic and encouraged to explore religions.
I'm interested in Sikhism, but I'm worried about how to go about learning more about it.
There's a Sikh Temple nearby that I considered going to, to ask questions, but I don't know how to approach it, if the clothes I have are appropriate, or even if I'm allowed to.
Would it be disrespectful for me to go? Are there certain days and times I should avoid? Specific times I should go? Is Sikhism a closed practice? Is a black or silver shawl ok to cover my head, I've only got the two?
I'm not sure where to begin, and what sources online I can trust as an accurate guide, so I thought I'd reach out to forums and see if I could get answers there.
Thank you for your time.
Do not be worried, Sikhism word sikh means to learn do not be afraid to approach sikh gurdwara to learn more about your origins and sikh faith you are allowed. Go as often as you can and pray matha thek to guru granth sahib, Sikhism is a practice for all who want to learn the sikh way that our gurus teach from God therefore not a closed but open practice, shawl or chuni to cover head whichever color but I'd recommend white or brighter colors as to cover head and hair is show of respect to sikhi faith and sri guru granth sahib ji and ultimately to God, use trusted sources example sikh Wikipedia to learn more as guide also a simple google search Sikhism will guide you to research and knowledge to Sikh faith, and of course you may post more reach out I will do my best to help you about such pure peaceful wonderful religion Sikhism is.

Mar 6, 2023
It's great that you are interested in learning more about Sikhism! Sikhism is a welcoming and inclusive religion, and anyone is allowed to visit a Gurdwara (Sikh Temple) to learn more about the religion and its practices.

When visiting a Gurdwara, it is customary to dress modestly and cover your head. This shows respect for the Gurdwara and the Sikh faith. You can wear any loose-fitting clothing that covers your shoulders, arms, and legs, and a shawl or scarf to cover your head. Black or silver shawl is perfectly fine.

It's best to remove your shoes before entering the Gurdwara, and you may want to bring a clean pair of socks to wear inside. When entering the main hall of the Gurdwara, it is customary to bow to the Guru Granth Sahib (the Sikh holy book) and sit on the floor, cross-legged.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM