• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How ‘The Bachelorette’ Showed Millions A Different Side Of The Sikh Faith

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Unsure where to put this article... so here it is!

How ‘The Bachelorette’ showed millions a different side of the Sikh faith
By Kate Shellnutt
July 18, 2017 at 8:02 AM

What happens when America’s best-known dating show meets one of its most misunderstood religions?

“The Bachelorette” brought Sikhs into the spotlight Monday night. One of the finalists took Bachelorette Rachel Lindsay home to meet his estranged dad, a yogi and convert to the minority faith. People who identify as Sikh make up just a fraction of 1 percent of the population.

Sikh fans were nervous about the portrayal, which was teased in promotions as part of the drama between contestant Dean Unglert and his father, who he says emotionally abandoned him and became “eccentric” after his mother died. Before the episode, Dean took to Instagram with a heartfelt call for religious understanding.

“I’m asking for a favor: when I said my father was eccentric, I was not referring to his Sikh faith or the turban he wears on his head,” he wrote. “I’m not asking you to spare his feelings (or mine) but instead to be cognizant and accepting of the millions of people that belong to the Sikh community.”

Full article and short Youtube promo video here: How ‘The Bachelorette’ showed millions a different side of the Sikh faith

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM