• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Much Authority Does The Akal Takt Have?

Mar 10, 2010
I was wondering just how much suthority the Akal Takht has (or is supposed to have) in terms of Sikhi and the lives of Sikhs. Is the Akal Takht supposed to make decisions on how the Sikh 'religion' is 'run'? Or is the Akal Takht supposed to provide guidance on spiritual issues for Sikhs. For example, does the Jathedar of the Akal Takht have the power to claim something is 'unholy' or is 'not natural' (not sure if any Jathedar has ever said that before) and so should be banned and no Sikhs should be a part of whatever that 'unholy' thing is???

Mar 10, 2010
So am I right in the thinking that originally the Akal Takht was never meant to have the authority to pass edicts etc, but over time, the opinion of the people ended up being announced by the Akal Takht. But now Jathedaars have been introduced and many have ended up being not as good as they could be??

And also, I still don't understand how much authority the Akal Takht has. Is it supposed to make decisions on behalf of Sikhs all over the world or not?? And is the Akal Takht supposed to be able to provide us moral guidance on issues such as euthanasia etc, or is it supposed to actually pass a final decision that all Sikhs must follow????

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Originaly Akal Takht Jathedar was a trusted servant, and the caretaker of Akal Takht, who acted as a steward and carried out the collective will of the panth. Today Akal Takht Jathedar and his staff are civil servants on the payroll of the state government in Punjab. The jathedar serves at the will of the CM.

Originally, decision making regarding the corporate and collective affairs of the panth was vested in the tradition of Gurmatta.

Originally (1925) SGPC was instituted to manage gurdwaras in Punjab, Haryana and a few located in other states. Today, SGPC has assumed the role of decision maker regarding the corporate and collective affairs of the panth.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM