• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Hard Talk How Many Sikhs Have Married Out Of Caste/race?

Have You Married Out of Your Caste/Race/Tribe? Why or Why Not?

• Yes

Votes: 113 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 181 61.6%

• Total voters
Dec 6, 2006
Hi all,

Sikhism practices the egalitarian principles of there being no caste/racial distinctions between people. We can all say we don't believe in castism/racism, but the iron test of a Sikh is to whether they have actually married out of caste/race/tribe?

So How many of you have and I would like to here comments one way or the other.

No flaming please.

Please vote here to:

History of the Sikhs: How many People here Have married out of Caste/race?

PS Vote also if you intend to marry in or out of caste/race.

I don't really understand this question. My parents told me that in Sikhism, there is no caste. How can Sikhs marry outside their caste if they don't even have a caste. If I have a caste, I certainly don't know what it is. Race and tribe?

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone, I am trusting today finds you all well and good! It is always wonderful to watch the progression of communications. In this particular thread, the very question itself brings up several points that are considerable when contemplating such a life-changing event as marriage.

Also, we must take into account the fact that in almost every society, there is always a caste or a class system, whether it is something that has been made culturally official, such as the Hindu caste system, or unspokenly and unofficially (but most definitely and undeniably there) the class system that is found in Western Europe and the U.S.A. Also, we should keep in mind that while Hinduism is a religion, in almost every religion there is a culture to some extent or another, oftenly depending on what area of the world you are talking about.

So, speaking of communication, let us be very careful as to what we mean by the terms "culture", "religion", "caste", "class".

A culture is a way of life; how people in that culture conduct their everyday lives. It is expressed in the languages spoken, the ways of religion, foods, health matters, clothings, artworks, music, modes of making a living, ways of telling time and how the use of time is viewed (in some cultures it is very impolite to be late for an appointment, while in others it is fine if you make it to the appointment half an hour late) and entertainment.

A religion is a particular system of how one relates to the Divine, which is the most important relationship one has. Each system has its own ways to guide the devotees to realize their own relationship with God, by whatever Name one calls God. (We know such names in the various religions to be Guru, Allah, Shiva, Yaweh, Great Spirit, Yang, and others.)

Caste usually refers to the level of society one has in the Hindu religion and culture. It has usually been a rather rigid structure, with people of one caste not encouraged to socialize with those of another caste. An individual is usually born into a caste, and once there, will not be out of it.
Class is also relating to the level an individual is in a society, and is more flexible than the caste system. Like the caste system, one is usually born into a class, but with effort one can rise above the class one was born into, if one so chooses, with higher education oftenly being the means to do so.

All that being said, let us reconsider the original query, "How many people have married outside their caste?"

If you are a Sikh, then technically you have no caste, no matter who you marry. If we look at the social/cultural aspects of caste, however, you will see that the cultural trappings of caste are still very much with us, even though we are Sikhs. This may be found most often in the question of marriage. For proof of this, all you have to do is to look at the Matrimonials section of any Indian newspaper, wherever it may be; in India in the Punjab or Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

With all of that, perhaps we can actually re-phrase the question into,
"How many Sikhs have married outside their social/cultural circle, or outside the group of people with whom they were raised?" and we can add another one, "If there were any difficulties with relatives or friends about it, how did you deal with it?" We can add yet another one; "What are some of the most graceful ways of dealing with difficulties associated with marrying outside of one's usual social circle?"
Cheers,
KulwantK

Jul 26, 2006
i personally believe one should marry in their own religion so two families will be better in dealing with each other .every family has their own traditions no body wants their traditions to die . we all have fears and worries .but life goes on ...........................

KiranC

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
i personally believe one should marry in their own religion so two families will be better in dealing with each other .every family has their own traditions no body wants their traditions to die . we all have fears and worries .but life goes on ...........................
But the question here isn't about religion it is about caste? Do you think that marrying out of caste is ok or does that tie in with what you said about tradition?

KiranC

SPNer
Apr 28, 2008
But the question here isn't about religion it is about caste? Do you think that marrying out of caste is ok or does that tie in with what you said about tradition?
oh right sorry i just scrolled up and saw the race thing at the end of the questions. You would think after writing so much i would have the ability to read properly as well!!! Many apologies!

Jul 26, 2006
hi there , yes i meant cast or other culture .mix marriages can survive if both parties value each others upbringings and adjust accordingly . if a child come home and break the news of his or her decision about marrying in different cast the first reaction will be negative because of fear of society that what everybody will say .i personally prefer same cast marriage but in multi cultural society mix marriages are very common

Canuck Singh

SPNer
Jun 13, 2008
Can UK
Interestingly a prediction was made in one text by a UK individual who had his 'dream' translated into english and made into a novel.

In it he predicts a reality that scientific research and predictions have revealed.

In the very near future there will be a Uni-race, as people begin to inter-racially marry and the world becomes more unified in colour. Interestingly the only thing that actually makes us different is a pigment melanin produced in melanocytes. What a minor chemical reaction that Nature has created that has caused the death, suffering, and hate of Billions...

God save us for this hell on earth we have created, genocides no more, Godgenesis from here on ple3ase..

Dec 6, 2006
With all of that, perhaps we can actually re-phrase the question into,
"How many Sikhs have married outside their social/cultural circle, or outside the group of people with whom they were raised?" and we can add another one, "If there were any difficulties with relatives or friends about it, how did you deal with it?" We can add yet another one; "What are some of the most graceful ways of dealing with difficulties associated with marrying outside of one's usual social circle?"
Cheers,
KulwantK

Thank you for that clarification. I am a little too young (22 years old) to be married, so maybe I shouldn't be in this discussion at all. But below are my thoughts on what I would like in the future.

As far as people marrying outside of their class - I think this is a complicated question. Even without considerations of appeasing culture, it is difficult to think a marriage would survive happily wherein the two individuals had radically different expectations for lifestyle and different ideas about money.

Obviously, the class that one occupies at birth does not necessarily influence compatibility on these points between individuals later in life. But the class occupied by the individuals at the time of marriage, or at least the class that they aspire too should be roughly in line, otherwise it is impossible to envision it not being a source of conflict. So it doesn't seem like it would matter for the daughter of a wealthy businessman to marry the son of a poor subsistence farmer if, say, they met in college where they were both studying to improve themselves and aspiring to similar kinds of lives. But it is hard to imagine a marriage existing between two different notions of lifestyle or to believe that eventually one member of such a marriage, forced to cave on his/her conception of what life should be like, would not be resentful.

That said, as someone with a college education who intends to be educated further and as someone with parents with 2 advanced degrees each, I want to have a moderately comfortable life for myself and my children meaning I want to live in a house I own in a safe neighborhood, to not have to worry excessively about affording food, clothing, basic utilities, and occasional entertainment etc. for my family. I also believe education is important. I could not marry someone who did not want a similar lifestyle and who did not believe in the importance of education.

I guess, in this sense, I would not marry outside of my class. But I don't think it would make a difference to me whether or not my partner's parents or relatives had similar views, as long as my partner wanted to make the same kind of life with me that I would want to make with him.

I don't care about marrying outside of my race.

And I know this will be controversial, but I don't care about marrying outside of the religion I was born into either.

But I care very much about the spiritual beliefs of the person I marry. He must believe:
1) that everything is connected and all part of the same substance of the universe, that everything exists together in a balance in which we must strive to fulfill our rightful place without disrupting the harmony and existence of all the other parts

which leads to:
a) He must believe all people should be respected as individuals and treated kindly as we would want to be treated, that no person, regardless of sex, race, class, religion, etc. is very different from us fundamentally in that they all want love and comfort and are not inherently evil or purely good. He must have a strong sense of connection to all other human beings, even if their religious, racial, and historical background is very different from ours. No one controls where they are born, only who they are when they live. He cannot prioritize one group over another because he perceives them to be more similar to himself.
b) He must believe it is important not to be destructive or wasteful, because everything matters and being wasteful and destructive does not respect the world around us and the people we live with
c) He must believe that we should not engage in practices that hurt our bodies and disrespect our abilities, e.g. excessive drinking or the use of drugs, promiscuity, etc.

2) He must not want to strictly raise our children in a religion, forcing them to attend services and practice rituals and wear symbols before they can understand any meaning in them. He must understand that it is more important to condition a child's way of thinking about people and the world and approaching things (see point 1) and that rituals and symbols are not the essence of spirituality.

3) He cannot adhere to any religious principles that are contrary to the points in 1), so I could not, say, marry someone who expected women to cover themselves excessively while men do not need to hide their beauty or forms. I could not marry someone who believes that it is their right and duty to force their superior thoughts etc. on people of different beliefs, people he would consider lesser than himself and in need of saving. I also could not marry a strict secularist who thought that he had the right to say that others should not practice their religion as they see fit. In short, my husband would have to believe, as I do, that we must do the best we can ourselves and beyond that, we must understand that we can only create the world we want by example and through our own selves and works and not by trying to fight with others and force our own practices.

In this sense, I would not marry outside of my belief system.

But I don't think that the gurus meant that people should marry people they are completely incompatible with, but that rather they should not let arbitrary circumstances of birth bar them from good people that they are compatible with in marriage.

But I wouldn't consider any of this to be marrying outside of my social circle.

Other indians have been in the minority in my friend pool because they were in the minority in the general pool of people I came into contact with. The pool I had to choose from for friends was very wide, and so my personal social circle did not follow lines of class or race or religion, but rather more along the lines given above - what kind of things we valued and wanted in our lives and how we believed we should live in the world and treat other people. So I suppose it would be impossible for me to marry outside of my social circle, since it did not have narrow cultural containments.

I will most likely marry a white person of Christian or Jewish or mixed descent who does not practice a religion, but has strong beliefs about right and wrong, because they are the people I associate with most. No doubt, some of my relatives, especially some of those beyond the level of first cousins and those that married into my family, will see this as an action traitorous to my heritage. And they will just have to deal with it. As long as what I am doing is right, I don't care what they think, and those people that are important to me would never have a problem with my choices because they have similar ideas about goodness.

It is a principle that I was raised to believe in and that of much of my family believes too - that it does not matter what others think as long as what you are doing is right by your self and by God.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
( quote amandeep kaur)
I don't care about marrying outside of my race.

And I know this will be controversial, but I don't care about marrying outside of the religion I was born into either.

But I care very much about the spiritual beliefs of the person I marry. He must believe:
1) that everything is connected and all part of the same substance of the universe, that everything exists together in a balance in which we must strive to fulfill our rightful place without disrupting the harmony and existence of all the other parts

which leads to:
a) He must believe all people should be respected as individuals and treated kindly as we would want to be treated, that no person, regardless of sex, race, class, religion, etc. is very different from us fundamentally in that they all want love and comfort and are not inherently evil or purely good. He must have a strong sense of connection to all other human beings, even if their religious, racial, and historical background is very different from ours. No one controls where they are born, only who they are when they live. He cannot prioritize one group over another because he perceives them to be more similar to himself.
b) He must believe it is important not to be destructive or wasteful, because everything matters and being wasteful and destructive does not respect the world around us and the people we live with
c) He must believe that we should not engage in practices that hurt our bodies and disrespect our abilities, e.g. excessive drinking or the use of drugs, promiscuity, etc.

2) He must not want to strictly raise our children in a religion, forcing them to attend services and practice rituals and wear symbols before they can understand any meaning in them. He must understand that it is more important to condition a child's way of thinking about people and the world and approaching things (see point 1) and that rituals and symbols are not the essence of spirituality.

3) He cannot adhere to any religious principles that are contrary to the points in 1), so I could not, say, marry someone who expected women to cover themselves excessively while men do not need to hide their beauty or forms. I could not marry someone who believes that it is their right and duty to force their superior thoughts etc. on people of different beliefs, people he would consider lesser than himself and in need of saving. I also could not marry a strict secularist who thought that he had the right to say that others should not practice their religion as they see fit. In short, my husband would have to believe, as I do, that we must do the best we can ourselves and beyond that, we must understand that we can only create the world we want by example and through our own selves and works and not by trying to fight with others and force our own practices.

Good luck wonderful soul ! Just bear in mind, dreams are different than realities; may be you are aware of it.

toot_roberts

SPNer
Aug 5, 2008
the way that i see it is that we all as individuals should aim to keep our loved ones happy, but if it is at the cost of sacrificing youir own happiness it is a completely different story. I would love to be able to live my whole life keeping my parents and family happy, but i have now fallen in love with a non-sikh guy, i can either keep my family happy and keep this man out of my life but i will never be happy if i then marry someone else as this non-sikh is the love of my life and i know it!

in this instance i am willing to risk upsetting my family in order to keep myself and him happy, when we do have children i will not bring them up as sikhs, i will send them to punjabi class in a gurdwara, so they can at least learn the language, where they will most probably lean about sikhi themselves (as i do not think i have much knowledge on the religion to give them myself) if they choose to follow it then it is fine, if they choose not to follow it it is also fine by me as i want them to follow their own hearts and destinies and focus on keeping themsleves happy.

flore

SPNer
Jan 11, 2008
You are right to follow your path to find happiness...
I wish you to be happy and have wonderfull life and experiences...

Jul 26, 2006
sat siri akal ji ,happy & successful marriages can happen in mixed marriages and samecast marriages too. its understanding and support and compromise that makes married life successful not cast or race . .

Jul 7, 2006
The mere discussion of caste shows the sad fact that it still plays a part of our punjabi-sikh social fabric. My husband and I (both punjabi sikhs) are from different "castes" and initially, when planning our wedding, we found it difficult to merge the different practises and customs that are indigenous to both sides, but I guess we found a compromise on most things. It wasnt a big deal for me - marrying out of the caste but for his side, it was a major thing. At the end, they came to terms with their son's decision. I guess each family has their own perculiarities and boundaries.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Harkiran Kaur Grewal ji

And I think it is great that emotional balance prevailed. Everyone maintained his/her dignity because of that. Being willing to work and persist toward a solution agreeable to most if not all involved in a difference of views is a rare thing these days. Cheers to you and your husband and the family members who made this happen.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Ok...let us change the direction of the debate.

Let us assume partners to be are both Sikh, but of a different ethnic background (race).....would that be a problem for people?
ya because some might be 3HO sikhs others might be namdhari etc etc. :rofl!!:
Don't forget amritdhari and sehajdhari.

ooh ooh if both are amritdhari then one might be non-veg and other might be veg, etc

toot_roberts

SPNer
Aug 5, 2008
i just think love is more important then religion or caste, if you happen to meet someone who you just click with then you should go for it, if it happens to be a person of the same religion and caste as you then awesome cos everyone is happy, if not then still follow your heart i say, because if you believe there is a god then why would he present you with your soul mate and not want you to be with them!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: