• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

If you were being forced into converting into any religion, what would you do?

• Would rather die than forsake the guru's teachings!

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • Convert to not get killed.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fake to convert but change back to Sikhism.

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Run away!!!

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

badmash

SPNer
Jan 25, 2007
How loyal is anyone? How often do you go to gurudwara? Do you teach there? Can you read gurbani? Do you do community service? These are all questions to ask ourselves before any judging of others.

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
hmmm... that poll was very difficult to answer... my nature is to fake a conversion and even though i wouldn't truly convert but honestly i don't think i could live with that conviction of betraying my faith and i would have to say i am honestly willing to die for Sikhism, i do not know, perhaps i would fail if i was put to the test but in my heart i know i'd want to die for what i believe... i'm american and was raised in a christian home and never heard of Sikhism until about 2 years ago, and i finally found the peace and answers i have been searching for my whole life, and about the hair, well being raised christian i have had my hair cut many times but i have decided now that i'm a Sikh i will not disobey the Guru and i will let my hair grow as well as follow the other K's... i'm still very new to Sikhism but i hope the lion within me will remain as strong in years to come as it is now... i wanna always be strong in my faith in the Gurus teachings

Hardas Singh

(previously Satyadhi)
SPNer
Feb 19, 2007
How loyal is anyone? How often do you go to gurudwara? Do you teach there? Can you read gurbani? Do you do community service? These are all questions to ask ourselves before any judging of others.

I don't believe any of these make you more or less of a Sikh, and neither does the 5 K's, i believe the answer is in the persons heart, and only God knows a persons intentions and heart... though i do admit that we should do these things, and i would doubt someones sincerity if they did not do these things or at least try but it is not our place to judge others, though these are important things and i honestly think all Sikhs should at least try to read Gurbani, and i believe it is wrong to not follow the 5 K's, i can understand it may take someone time b4 they adopt the 5 K's if they were not raised a Sikh but i think everyone should eventually take the 5 K's because there is no excuse to disobey God, even though you are still a Sikh without the 5 K's it is still disobediance to not wear the 5 K's...

Nov 29, 2006
Do u know how 5k's started..
Was 5K only thing .. for which Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji came on this earth...
or there was some thing to given..
or some thing against religion ... brought him to earth..
Please answer... I will tell u hw 5K started if u dont know...
I don't believe any of these make you more or less of a Sikh, and neither does the 5 K's, i believe the answer is in the persons heart, and only God knows a persons intentions and heart... though i do admit that we should do these things, and i would doubt someones sincerity if they did not do these things or at least try but it is not our place to judge others, though these are important things and i honestly think all Sikhs should at least try to read Gurbani, and i believe it is wrong to not follow the 5 K's, i can understand it may take someone time b4 they adopt the 5 K's if they were not raised a Sikh but i think everyone should eventually take the 5 K's because there is no excuse to disobey God, even though you are still a Sikh without the 5 K's it is still disobediance to not wear the 5 K's...

amar7979

SPNer
Oct 26, 2007
Delhi (INDIA)
To accuse others is a sign of want of education.
To accuse oneself shows that one's education has begun.
To accuse neither oneself nor others shows that one's education is complete !!

all_khalsa

SPNer
Feb 7, 2010
I guess all fault is in our religious body.Our social circle is filled with so many rituals that even we do and don't know we are doing karam kands and thus shifting slowly from sikhism.The kind of leaders we have depict the kind of people we are.We want all others to do things for us and we don't want to be part of that struggle or revolution hence we watch sikhism being carried away by some thugs and we don't want to come forward.Thus we don't have inspiration to be a true sikh rather most of people are afraid to look like a sikh as to be taken for fanatic and thug.

I GUESS WE NEED NEW BREED OF SIKHS
I MEAN WHO CAN DO EXACTLY WHAT WE WERE MADE FOR TRUTH,RIGHTEOUSNESS,CARE AND LOVE.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
I was thinking one day about how our Guru's and so many shaheed's gave up their lives to keep their "sikhi" and now people are running to the barber shop without thinking twice or once and say...the guru granth sahib is only a book what does it care...if i here another kid say that...:}--}:

Well i guess the point was to see how many people would stay loyal to the teachings of the guru's and honor their martyrdom.

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

I don't think a Barber Shop, or whether a Sikh keeps his Kesh is a measure of loyalty to the Guru.

If Sikh history tells us anything, there were a vast array of people loyal to the Guru's and not all Keshdari's.

The real issue for me is how we treat our fellow human beings.:yes:

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
What is up with this whole Muslim beef? How come Muslims and Sikhs in the UK hate each other? Can someone please explain this to me? :{-:)

Strange as I don't see even a hint of that here myself? I have Muslim friends and Sikh friends that seem to get on fine.

Ahhh but then as my children insist on telling me, I am now an old(ish) man. Perhaps then you speak of problems between out youth?

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Freedom 84 has given example andi like that. Look inside yourself and define loyalty. Sahilmakkar has also raised a better point. % kakkaras are important but we are just focussing on htem and forgetting other things. Did our guru want us to keep 5K only and then you become a certified SIKH? ( as per SGPC atleast!!)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: