• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Does Sikhi Help You Through The Tough Times?

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
For the followers of religions with a personified deity, praying for help during the tough times, or just having 'someone' to talk to, is a given.

But the Sikhi presented here at SPN is a rather more pragmatic way of life. So... how does Sikhi help you, personally, through the tough times? When life seems to be too much, when you see things going wrong all around you, when your best efforts get you nowhere and you lay awake at night worrying about the basic things in life like income and essential services, through to your involvement in crucial work projects that are missing deadlines and not achieving outcomes and all you hear in your mind is 'failure' and 'it's all your fault'... you have nothing but the cold harsh reality of the darkness looking back at you, and there is no one to tell your troubles to...

According to the Sikhi presented at SPN there is no one to hear you. So I'm really curious, how on earth do you manage through the tough times?

Thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• toughtimes.jpg
    toughtimes.jpg
    26.5 KB · Reads: 347
Last edited by a moderator:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
According to the Sikhi presented at SPN there is no one to hear you. So I'm really curious, how on earth do you manage through the tough times?

Thoughts appreciated.

Well who else should you ask or talk to ?
He may be formless, but do you think your MP, queen or king, or even the President are going to hear you ?

There is Only ONE that will hear you and he is the One that is the Inner Knower (antarjami), the one that knows you better than yourself.
All you know about yourself is your 'ego' self.

Therefore, if praying or asking him helps, then it isn't going to hurt anyone if you ask, even though he already Knows what you want to ask and what you need.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
When life seems to be too much, when you see things going wrong all around you, when your best efforts get you nowhere and you lay awake at night worrying about the basic things in life like income and essential services, through to your involvement in crucial work projects that are missing deadlines and not achieving outcomes and all you hear in your mind is 'failure' and 'it's all your fault'... you have nothing but the cold harsh reality of the darkness looking back at you, and there is no one to tell your troubles to...

for me, in my own opinion, thats my own personal opinion, personal to me, this is how we learn and grow, because, we have to learn and grow. what use is a miracle? who gets helped when prayers get answered? Sikhism is an education, a way of life, the moment we lose sight of that, and fall back on the Abrahamic or the Vedic, we are falling into the very trap Guru Nanakji tried to save us from.

give a man a fish, feed him for a day
teach a man how to fish, feed him for a lifetime

Maybe instead of trying to get through the day, we need to learn or change our life so that we know what to do when it next happens

just my opinion

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Adminji, thanks for your message and the link. I really appreciate you sharing your personal experience with us.

As for you Harry ji, are you sure you're not trying to represent the entire Sikh panth there? Because it sure is coming across that way... :motherlylove: ;)

But I'm not talking about praying for miracles, or for all the problems of the world to be solved through prayer and prayer alone. I'm talking about a dialogue, a relationship. I'm not talking about shirking responsibility, I'm talking about a pep talk, for reassurance.

I don't want fish, but connecting to whatever it is that's going to teach me to fish - that's what I'm talking about.

At the moment I guess I'm just a little rattled that there might not actually be anything there to be connected to, in which case, what is there to sustain us?

Luckyji, thanks also for your thoughts.

Last edited:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
For the followers of religions with a personified deity, praying for help during the tough times, or just having 'someone' to talk to, is a given.

But the Sikhi presented here at SPN is a rather more pragmatic way of life. So... how does Sikhi help you, personally, through the tough times? When life seems to be too much, when you see things going wrong all around you, when your best efforts get you nowhere and you lay awake at night worrying about the basic things in life like income and essential services, through to your involvement in crucial work projects that are missing deadlines and not achieving outcomes and all you hear in your mind is 'failure' and 'it's all your fault'... you have nothing but the cold harsh reality of the darkness looking back at you, and there is no one to tell your troubles to...

Thoughts appreciated.

For me it is the examples set amongst Sikhs that speak louder than the words.

The tenth master endured the suffering of losing his four sons and his mother, so who the hell am I to complain when I have misfortunes? :singhfacepalm:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012

Thoughts appreciated.

For me there is nothing better than to find a quiet place to sit...
take some deep breaths...close my eyes..and to focus with single mindedness as much as possible on my creator god who sits deep within my very being.

to feel that connection, to feel that prescense, to know He's right there.
To then know He's right there in my partner, my family, my friends..and all around me. to then Know that no matter if the world falls around you that the one thing that will be with you throughout this life and whatever lies beyond is this sustaining presence that will not leave you for even a second...to know that beyond this changing, dying physical existing and world, that i am pure consciousness that has no end.

Then when my eyes open, things don;t feel half as bad as they did when i first closed them :).

Hit your problems face on...forget stressing about them...have faith in that one presense and know that all our problems are a remedy to uplift our consciousness to higher levels...they are a cure to our ego sickness.

God Bless Ji.

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
I don't know if its Sikhi, but here's what I do. I look at my Table.

I look at what's in front of me, the practical stuff, who I am etc. & I Reduce, shell out or expand.

I keep long term goals like where I wanna help, as well as the Vision of the kind of Life I want & I intend to keep it nearby in tough times. I remind myself that TOUGH times are not reality, They are not stagnant. They are temporary, Im am fierce powerful woman & my God gave me a Brain, he gave me Heart, he gave me resources, he gave me Independence ANNND this is the Real gift, he gave me support, he gave me friends, people to share w/, rely On & Give back to...

Honestly, Ishna Ji this was Tough to come by, this practical, unemotional mentality, it required toughness & I like that i've gained it. Has it made me tougher harder? Yes. Do I mis my innocence? Maybe a little bit.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Ang 70

ਸਿਰੀਰਾਗੁ ਮਹਲਾ
Sirīrāg mėhlā 5.
Siree Raag, Fifth Mehl:

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਮੁਸਕਲੁ ਅਤਿ ਬਣੈ ਢੋਈ ਕੋਇ ਦੇਇ
Jā ka▫o muskal aṯ baṇai dẖo▫ī ko▫e na ḏe▫e.
When you are confronted with terrible hardships, and no one offers you any support,

ਲਾਗੂ ਹੋਏ ਦੁਸਮਨਾ ਸਾਕ ਭਿ ਭਜਿ ਖਲੇ
Lāgū ho▫e ḏusmanā sāk bẖė bẖaj kẖale.
when your friends turn into enemies, and even your relatives have deserted you,

ਸਭੋ ਭਜੈ ਆਸਰਾ ਚੁਕੈ ਸਭੁ ਅਸਰਾਉ
Sabẖo bẖajai āsrā cẖukai sabẖ asrā▫o.
and when all support has given way, and all hope has been lost -

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਲਗੈ ਤਤੀ ਵਾਉ ॥੧॥
Cẖiṯ āvai os pārbarahm lagai na ṯaṯī vā▫o. ||1||
if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, even the hot wind shall not touch you. ||1||

ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਨਿਤਾਣਿਆ ਕਾ ਤਾਣੁ
Sāhib niṯāṇi▫ā kā ṯāṇ.
Our Lord and Master is the Power of the powerless.

ਆਇ ਜਾਈ ਥਿਰੁ ਸਦਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਚੁ ਜਾਣੁ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Ā▫e na jā▫ī thir saḏā gur sabḏī sacẖ jāṇ. ||1|| rahā▫o.
He does not come or go; He is Eternal and Permanent. Through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, He is known as True. ||1||Pause||

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਹੋਵੈ ਦੁਬਲਾ ਨੰਗ ਭੁਖ ਕੀ ਪੀਰ
Je ko hovai ḏublā nang bẖukẖ kī pīr.
If you are weakened by the pains of hunger and poverty,

ਦਮੜਾ ਪਲੈ ਨਾ ਪਵੈ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਦੇਵੈ ਧੀਰ
Ḏamṛā palai nā pavai nā ko ḏevai ḏẖīr.
with no money in your pockets, and no one will give you any comfort,

ਸੁਆਰਥੁ ਸੁਆਉ ਕੋ ਕਰੇ ਨਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਕਾਜੁ
Su▫ārath su▫ā▫o na ko kare nā kicẖẖ hovai kāj.
and no one will satisfy your hopes and desires, and none of your works is accomplished -

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਰਾਜੁ ॥੨॥
Cẖiṯ āvai os pārbarahm ṯā nihcẖal hovai rāj. ||2||
if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, you shall obtain the eternal kingdom. ||2||

ਜਾ ਕਉ ਚਿੰਤਾ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਬਹੁਤੁ ਦੇਹੀ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਰੋਗੁ
Jā ka▫o cẖinṯā bahuṯ bahuṯ ḏehī vi▫āpai rog.
When you are plagued by great and excessive anxiety, and diseases of the body;

ਗ੍ਰਿਸਤਿ ਕੁਟੰਬਿ ਪਲੇਟਿਆ ਕਦੇ ਹਰਖੁ ਕਦੇ ਸੋਗੁ
Garisaṯ kutamb paleti▫ā kaḏe harakẖ kaḏe sog.
when you are wrapped up in the attachments of household and family, sometimes feeling joy, and then other times sorrow;

ਗਉਣੁ ਕਰੇ ਚਹੁ ਕੁੰਟ ਕਾ ਘੜੀ ਬੈਸਣੁ ਸੋਇ
Ga▫oṇ kare cẖahu kunt kā gẖaṛī na baisaṇ so▫e.
when you are wandering around in all four directions, and you cannot sit or sleep even for a moment -

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
Cẖiṯ āvai os pārbarahm ṯan man sīṯal ho▫e. ||3||
if you come to remember the Supreme Lord God, then your body and mind shall be cooled and soothed. ||3||

ਕਾਮਿ ਕਰੋਧਿ ਮੋਹਿ ਵਸਿ ਕੀਆ ਕਿਰਪਨ ਲੋਭਿ ਪਿਆਰੁ
Kām karoḏẖ mohi vas kī▫ā kirpan lobẖ pi▫ār.
When you are under the power of sexual desire, anger and worldly attachment, or a greedy miser in love with your wealth;

ਚਾਰੇ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਉਨਿ ਅਘ ਕੀਏ ਹੋਆ ਅਸੁਰ ਸੰਘਾਰੁ
Cẖāre kilvikẖ un agẖ kī▫e ho▫ā asur sangẖār.
if you have committed the four great sins and other mistakes; even if you are a murderous fiend

ਪੋਥੀ ਗੀਤ ਕਵਿਤ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਦੇ ਕਰਨਿ ਧਰਿਆ
Pothī gīṯ kaviṯ kicẖẖ kaḏe na karan ḏẖari▫ā.
who has never taken the time to listen to sacred books, hymns and poetry -

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਵੈ ਓਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਨਿਮਖ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਤਰਿਆ ॥੪॥
Cẖiṯ āvai os pārbarahm ṯā nimakẖ simraṯ ṯari▫ā. ||4||
if you then come to remember the Supreme Lord God, and contemplate Him, even for a moment, you shall be saved. ||4||

ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਬੇਦ ਚਾਰਿ ਮੁਖਾਗਰ ਬਿਚਰੇ
Sāsaṯ simriṯ beḏ cẖār mukẖāgar bicẖre.
People may recite by heart the Shaastras, the Simritees and the four Vedas;

ਤਪੇ ਤਪੀਸਰ ਜੋਗੀਆ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਗਵਨੁ ਕਰੇ
Ŧape ṯapīsar jogī▫ā ṯirath gavan kare.
they may be ascetics, great, self-disciplined Yogis; they may visit sacred shrines of pilgrimage

ਖਟੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਤੇ ਦੁਗੁਣੇ ਪੂਜਾ ਕਰਤਾ ਨਾਇ
Kẖat karmā ṯe ḏuguṇai pūjā karṯā nā▫e.
and perform the six ceremonial rituals, over and over again, performing worship services and ritual bathing.

ਰੰਗੁ ਲਗੀ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਤਾ ਸਰਪਰ ਨਰਕੇ ਜਾਇ ॥੫॥
Rang na lagī pārbarahm ṯā sarpar narke jā▫e. ||5||
Even so, if they have not embraced love for the Supreme Lord God, then they shall surely go to hell. ||5||

ਰਾਜ ਮਿਲਕ ਸਿਕਦਾਰੀਆ ਰਸ ਭੋਗਣ ਬਿਸਥਾਰ
Rāj milak sikḏārī▫ā ras bẖogaṇ bisthār.
You may possess empires, vast estates, authority over others, and the enjoyment of myriad of pleasures;

ਬਾਗ ਸੁਹਾਵੇ ਸੋਹਣੇ ਚਲੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਅਫਾਰ
Bāg suhāve sohṇe cẖalai hukam afār.
you may have delightful and beautiful gardens, and issue unquestioned commands;

ਰੰਗ ਤਮਾਸੇ ਬਹੁ ਬਿਧੀ ਚਾਇ ਲਗਿ ਰਹਿਆ
Rang ṯamāse baho biḏẖī cẖā▫e lag rahi▫ā.
you may have enjoyments and entertainments of all sorts and kinds, and continue to enjoy exciting pleasures -

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਇਓ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਸਰਪ ਕੀ ਜੂਨਿ ਗਇਆ ॥੬॥
Cẖiṯ na ā▫i▫o pārbarahm ṯā sarap kī jūn ga▫i▫ā. ||6||
and yet, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, you shall be reincarnated as a snake. ||6||

ਬਹੁਤੁ ਧਨਾਢਿ ਅਚਾਰਵੰਤੁ ਸੋਭਾ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਰੀਤਿ
Bahuṯ ḏẖanādẖ acẖārvanṯ sobẖā nirmal rīṯ.
You may possess vast riches, maintain virtuous conduct, have a spotless reputation and observe religious customs;

ਮਾਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸੁਤ ਭਾਈਆ ਸਾਜਨ ਸੰਗਿ ਪਰੀਤਿ
Māṯ piṯā suṯ bẖā▫ī▫ā sājan sang parīṯ.
you may have the loving affections of mother, father, children, siblings and friends;

ਲਸਕਰ ਤਰਕਸਬੰਦ ਬੰਦ ਜੀਉ ਜੀਉ ਸਗਲੀ ਕੀਤ
Laskar ṯarkasbanḏ banḏ jī▫o jī▫o saglī kīṯ.
you may have armies well-equipped with weapons, and all may salute you with respect;

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਇਓ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਤਾ ਖੜਿ ਰਸਾਤਲਿ ਦੀਤ ॥੭॥
Cẖiṯ na ā▫i▫o pārbarahm ṯā kẖaṛ rasāṯal ḏīṯ. ||7||
But still, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, then you shall be taken and consigned to the most hideous hell! ||7||

ਕਾਇਆ ਰੋਗੁ ਛਿਦ੍ਰੁ ਕਿਛੁ ਨਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਾੜਾ ਸੋਗੁ
Kā▫i▫ā rog na cẖẖiḏar kicẖẖ nā kicẖẖ kāṛā sog.
You may have a body free of disease and deformity, and have no worries or grief at all;

ਮਿਰਤੁ ਆਵੀ ਚਿਤਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਭੋਗੈ ਭੋਗੁ
Miraṯ na āvī cẖiṯ ṯis ahinis bẖogai bẖog.
you may be unmindful of death, and night and day revel in pleasures;

ਸਭ ਕਿਛੁ ਕੀਤੋਨੁ ਆਪਣਾ ਜੀਇ ਸੰਕ ਧਰਿਆ
Sabẖ kicẖẖ kīṯon āpṇā jī▫e na sank ḏẖari▫ā.
you may take everything as your own, and have no fear in your mind at all;

ਚਿਤਿ ਆਇਓ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਜਮਕੰਕਰ ਵਸਿ ਪਰਿਆ ॥੮॥
Cẖiṯ na ā▫i▫o pārbarahm jamkankar vas pari▫ā. ||8||
but still, if you do not come to remember the Supreme Lord God, you shall fall under the power of the Messenger of Death. ||8||

ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੇ ਜਿਸੁ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗੁ
Kirpā kare jis pārbarahm hovai sāḏẖū sang.
The Supreme Lord showers His Mercy, and we find the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਜਿਉ ਜਿਉ ਓਹੁ ਵਧਾਈਐ ਤਿਉ ਤਿਉ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਉ ਰੰਗੁ
Ji▫o ji▫o oh vaḏẖā▫ī▫ai ṯi▫o ṯi▫o har si▫o rang.
The more time we spend there, the more we come to love the Lord.

ਦੁਹਾ ਸਿਰਿਆ ਕਾ ਖਸਮੁ ਆਪਿ ਅਵਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਥਾਉ
Ḏuhā siri▫ā kā kẖasam āp avar na ḏūjā thā▫o.
The Lord is the Master of both worlds; there is no other place of rest.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੁਠੈ ਪਾਇਆ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਚਾ ਨਾਉ ॥੯॥੧॥੨੬॥
Saṯgur ṯuṯẖai pā▫i▫ā Nānak sacẖā nā▫o. ||9||1||26||
When the True Guru is pleased and satisfied, O Nanak, the True Name is obtained. ||9||1||26||

Has there ever been a moment in your life, even if it was for a few minutes- when you felt so loved and connected with everything around you?
A moment where you suddenly felt that you realized everything and you were a part of this WHOLE universe and this same universe was a HUGE part of you ??
It's a feeling where you suddenly feel blessed and want this whole blessing to be experienced by everyone and everything around you.

If you have had this short lived feeling of anand or bliss, then this is the only thing that remains permanently engrained on your soul.

When you feel pushed or on the edge, just try and connect to that same moment and in an instance you can forget what you were fretting about.

The above shabad tells us to remember and connect with him for that moment.
It's not just remembering in mind, but it is connection of the whole mind, body and soul. It's more than just surrender and submitting, it's actually becoming ONE and like with him.
When this happens you feel that you ARE the Universe and the Universe is you, so all this worry is just a product and weakness of your mind.
Remember, you are NOT your mind, you are beyond and much bigger than that. it's just that your mind has a clever way of convincing and conquering you.

Always try and look at the bigger picture, because us and our little minds are just little dot's in the universe, but when you can come out of this mind then you become much bigger than the little dot. You realize that all the little dots are one HUGE part of the universe together.

Last edited:

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
It has been tough and painful 10 days ,as alone home, no one to cook food nothing.
till realized god has given me hands and mind to cook,moreover to ACT,
and from then i am enjoying cooking and moreover delicious dishes which i never even imagined myself.
:grinningsingh: :icecreammunda:

anyone want aloo mater ,shahi paneer ,aloo vaddi ,fried rice, Mango lassi ,badam shake feel free to ask me .
Trust me they are delicious lol

:icecreammunda:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I don't need a personal deity in order to try and remember and accept hukam. I have learnt to accept within myself that saying 'why me' is selfish as by extraction I am wishing my misfortunes on someone else. Living as per Gurbani is SLOWLY helping me becoming less negative and more accepting. Each misfortune or 'bad patch' is contributing to this learning. I still get upset but each time I come out a little stronger (emotionally and spiritually) and a little closer to shedding my ego.

Last edited:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Ishna ji, another thing I do is make lists of the positives in my life to refocus my attention from the negative. I have recently moved house. I live further out the city but the second half of the drive home is stunning. I frequently stop at a particular scenic bit on my way home to remind myself how lucky I am, despite being ill over the past few months.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
For me it is the examples set amongst Sikhs that speak louder than the words.

The tenth master endured the suffering of losing his four sons and his mother, so who the hell am I to complain when I have misfortunes? :singhfacepalm:
Not to mention his father. Although, of course, they were just dead, not lost.

My life has had its difficulties and continues to get more difficult.

I am most grateful that I have a religious philosophy that lists optimism and joy as one of its adherents' duties. Charlie Kayla, I mean. You see, even my autocorrect is helping out. I mean charhdi kala, of course. I look to our history for inspiration, as well as those around me now. There is much much greatness all around ourselves. If we turn off the inner negativity, it isn't hard to find.

Life is often a painful business, but as some of us have learned, pain is unavoidable, and suffering is optional.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada

Thoughts appreciated.

SSA

I am over 70 years old and have gone through so called bad times. As far as I can remember back to my young age I never said why me. I never blamed God for things happened to me. In 1971 I started on the spiritual journey. I left high paying job in Canada and went to India to find God as if he was lost and he is only in India.

It is not Sikhi or any other religion help one cope with hard time. It is person's own attitude toward life and mature.

Thats where so called Babe making lots of money from week minded people.
We create our own problem, but instead fixing it we blame God and go to babe who claim to heal them. There are problem we have to go to real doctor. Never go to those who can not heal them self.
Back home in India my uncle was doctor. One of the so called "pushan den vala" use to come to see my uncle for his n his family's slickness. If he can not fix his own or his families problem how cane he fix other's.
Here in Canada one guy boasted that he can tell about person's future. He use to make horoscope for people's kids marriage. His 2 sons got married to white girls. It is not that I dont like white people but many Indian people do not want their children to marry out of Sikhism. Both his son had divorce. I asked him how come he did not knew. He said they gave him wrong date of girls birth day.
We will find any excuse that it is or that. They do not admit that it is their fault.
If I trust God then there is no need to pray. If I dont trust God then why pray

But we are not sure of our self.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
SSA

I am over 70 years old and have gone through so called bad times. As far as I can remember back to my young age I never said why me. I never blamed God for things happened to me. In 1971 I started on the spiritual journey. I left high paying job in Canada and went to India to find God as if he was lost and he is only in India.

It is not Sikhi or any other religion help one cope with hard time. It is person's own attitude toward life and mature.

Thats where so called Babe making lots of money from week minded people.
We create our own problem, but instead fixing it we blame God and go to babe who claim to heal them. There are problem we have to go to real doctor. Never go to those who can not heal them self.
Back home in India my uncle was doctor. One of the so called "pushan den vala" use to come to see my uncle for his n his family's slickness. If he can not fix his own or his families problem how cane he fix other's.
Here in Canada one guy boasted that he can tell about person's future. He use to make horoscope for people's kids marriage. His 2 sons got married to white girls. It is not that I dont like white people but many Indian people do not want their children to marry out of Sikhism. Both his son had divorce. I asked him how come he did not knew. He said they gave him wrong date of girls birth day.
We will find any excuse that it is or that. They do not admit that it is their fault.
If I trust God then there is no need to pray. If I dont trust God then why pray

But we are not sure of our self.

I will take your adherent to be more Sikh than a lot that call themselves such anyday

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
i dont know if its sikhi way or not
last 4-5 years have been good for me as have been trying to catch up the things i have learned
i use to pray for so many wishful things which now i consider just act of foolishness but maybe that's how you evolve and learn from mistakes.
i realized praying praying endlessly for wishful desires just takes away the FAITH on oneself which while moving ahead in life you always require to face difficult circumstances ,so stopped praying for anything for the last 3-4 years.
if one thing i pray ,i pray to seek strength to move forward.
And that has helped me to have faith in myself more than ever before ,that yes i can move ahead from difficult circumstances ,helped me to develop an attitude to ACT myself more and accounting myself responsible for things that are in my control rather than just going to places of worship to just pray (i will do this if i get this ,i will do that etc etc )and blaming god or complaining to him
Accounting myself responsible for my life rather than god has helped me more for the past few years.
Other than this have been trying to develop thankful attitude for whatever i have and an attitude to surrender myself which allows me to relax my mind and focus on positive aspects of my life rather than the negatives.
Sometimes things starts looking so much difficult and it burdens mind when you start looking into things too much so just letting go of feelings relieves the mind.
And in some moments i just get tense worrying too much about future so much tensed that i fail to even act and waste my time worrying too much .
i mean i can work hard to accomplish few things if i fail that's not my part to worry about
i should only act with all my focus and move ahead ,failures are part of lives and in failures itself u learn lot of things.
Reading about Guru's thier lifes helped me a lot too and today its essential part on i look forward to grow and learn in life
Moreover the best thing i got to do in past few years has been exercise,hard toiling work out in gym takes away the negatives that you build around your mind,So it has helped me a lot too
and last not the least trying to worry more about the present rather than past or the future ,realized most of the time either we are stuck in past or in future which doesn't allows us to tackle and face the circumstances head on with greater intensity.

though many things i have learned and the beauty of this learning process is that in PAINS and Miseries only you learn such things yourself.
and yes considering myself imperfect which allows me to shudder too much ego at times
Just my opinion and experience

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012

Thoughts appreciated.

For a Sikh it is to glide with the winds as the bad time is the will of God. Bear the troubles and tolerate the humiliation and make honest efforts to improve your lot.
There have been many ups and downs in my life but I never wavered from an honest living. My father was a well established Merchant and our family lived a happy life. But bad times came and he had to work as an accountant with one of his client's establishment. Our family's living improved gradually when I started working. I also faced several ups and downs throughout my life and with the grace of God improved my status in society as I never thought of earning through illegal or immoral means. I do not hanker for wealth and remain satisfied with my life. And I had the God's grace. I try to recite Bani regularly but, many a time I have missed unintentionally. What I read in SGGS I try to understand the essence of the matter. I make no pretensions and stay a practical and down to earth man.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM