• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

How Does Sikhi Help You Through The Tough Times?

Dec 4, 2011
Re how does Sikhi help you
All religions, more so in India, are TRANSACTIONAL.
I will walk a mile GOD if I pass this exam, I will give Money if I get a job interview etc
A mindset with above logic and appliance sets the stage for failure
Success or failure has nothing to do with Religion
If things are not working out, a re-examination of elements that would make the effort a success have to be visited / re-visited
1. What is it that I am trying to achieve ? (MARKET ANALYSIS)
2. What are the requisites
3. What resources / skills are required....Do I have them?
4. If NOT ..HOW DO I GET THEM
AND SO ON

Look upon EVERY PROJECT in life as a TASK ACHIEVABLE....ALL IT NEEDS IS A BUSINESS PLAN

Remember, an IMPOSSIBLE task is achievable by definition

It just takes a bit longer

BESIDES, IT SAYS SO, "IM POSSIBLE" 0:)

Separate your business AND ANY OTHER VENTURES from RELIGION

SIKHI teaches SELF-DEPENDANCE
SIKHI TEACHES SELF RELIANCE AND FAITH IN ONESELF
IF things are falling apart INSPITE/DESPITE of every effort being made
THEN THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CONCEPT OF THE PROJECT AT HAND...
Every stage of ANY project must be CLEARLY LAID OUT
There should be MARKERS (MILE STONES) for the entire path of the project from conception to the FINISH LINE)

Re-evaluate every stage

THERE MUST BE CONTINGENCY PLANS at every Stage /sub-stage

LOOK INSIDE "YOU" IF THINGS ARE NOT WORKING OUT

REGROUP - RE-APPLY - TILL SUCCESS

SSA

Last edited:

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
"Dear Creator ji, if you do this for me, I'll do that for you."

Childlike faith may be a little bit appealing in children, but it is just silly in adults. It's like praying to Santa Claus. Bargaining with the Creator doesn't work for one very simple reason: I have nothing to bargain with. What do I have to offer to the Creator except, perhaps, my own ridiculous self, which, in the end, belongs to It anyway.

Which is where the kirpaa of Waheguru comes in.

Sikhi has given me a way of life that treats me as an adult and grants me dignity as a human being. It doesn't promise me "pie in the sky by and by." It certainly doesn't guarantee me an easy life; in fact it guarantees me a difficult one. However, it gives me a pathway that will carry me through all the troubles of life; it is my responsibility to know and follow that path to the best of my ability and with the help of Guru ji.

Believe me, I speak from experience. Or, better yet, don't believe me; discover it for yourself.

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Jagmohan ji,

I am sorry to say that no religion teaches self dependence
No religion teaches self reliance
No religion teaches peace of mind.

Religion is in business to make money
Religion is in business to control people.
Religion is not created by God. But by men.

If one want to know the reality give up all. When one give up he/she gain everything.

Pehle Atman fir Parmatma.

None of us want to know one self yet every one want to know Paramatama.
Look at world how many name we have created of God. Every one claim that hig God can beat other’s God.

I am sorry to offend the religious people.

Dec 4, 2011
Jagmohan ji,

If one want to know the reality give up all. When one give up he/she gain everything.

Look at world how many name we have created of God. Every one claim that hig God can beat other’s God.

--------------------------------------
You are right in as much as RELIGION is concerned.

RELIGION IS AN ONEROUS WORD

Being MAN-MADE, IT HAS AND CONTINUES TO be used as a weapon for "CONTROL"

It provides one a tool to manipulate the MIND(s) of the proletariat
so much so that it prevades every single waking / sleeping moment

Having said that, I use the word SIKHI as in LEARNING, KNOWLEDGE, SELF-EMPOWERMENT

"SIKHI" in terms of Guru Gobind Singh's teachings, by letter or deed, taught us to STAND AND BE COUNTED (One has to give him that)

In doing so, he enthused us with a sense of SELF RESPECT which leads to Self Reliance and Self dependability

"STAND AND BE COUNTED" at times has been mis-interpreted i.e.
to demand some nebulous entity, mostly material, even at cost of militancy.....which is counter-productive as has been evidenced in India and other countries

For me "STAND AND BE COUNTED" means to RAISE MY MENTAL / MATHEMATICAL / SCIENTIFIC / COGNITIVE FACULTIES TO A PEDESTAL WHEREBY IT UNTIRINGLY ENABLES ME TO CONTRIBUTE TOWARDS THE BETTERMENT OF HUMAN KIND

SSA

Dec 4, 2011

Childlike faith may be a little bit appealing in children, but it is just silly in adults. It's like praying to Santa Claus. Bargaining with the Creator doesn't work for one very simple reason: I have nothing to bargain with. What do I have to offer to the Creator except, perhaps, my own ridiculous self, which, in the end, belongs to It anyway.

Sikhi has given me a way of life that treats me as an adult and grants me dignity as a human being. It doesn't promise me "pie in the sky by and by." It certainly doesn't guarantee me an easy life; in fact it guarantees me a difficult one. However, it gives me a pathway that will carry me through all the troubles of life; it is my responsibility to know and follow that path to the best of my ability and with the help of Guru ji.

Believe me, I speak from experience. Or, better yet, don't believe me; discover it for yourself.
------------------------------------------------
SSA

DEFINITION OF SIKHI IS A PRE-REQUISITE

TO DECIDE WHAT path it defines

Responsibilites to follow such a PATH come later

Agree or not, I invite you to read my comments to another member seeker3k

Thankyou

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
For a Sikh it is to glide with the winds as the bad time is the will of God. Bear the troubles and tolerate the humiliation and make honest efforts to improve your lot.
There have been many ups and downs in my life but I never wavered from an honest living. My father was a well established Merchant and our family lived a happy life. But bad times came and he had to work as an accountant with one of his client's establishment. Our family's living improved gradually when I started working. I also faced several ups and downs throughout my life and with the grace of God improved my status in society as I never thought of earning through illegal or immoral means. I do not hanker for wealth and remain satisfied with my life. And I had the God's grace. I try to recite Bani regularly but, many a time I have missed unintentionally. What I read in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji I try to understand the essence of the matter. I make no pretensions and stay a practical and down to earth man.

a wonderful post ji, and happy birthday, the same day as mine.....:mundakhalsaflag:

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
Jagmohan Singh ji,

In my view Gobind Singh did much more then singing. Many people do not know what he did. It is not rituals not just talk he did some thing very profound act that no one has done it in India before him. I can say even after him.
I rather not explain it is very controversial. It can break people’s faith. If faith is broken of a person then he/she is lost for ever. Person is depended on faith even if it is wrong faith.

Guru Nanak told us how to live proper life. But Gobind Singh showed us.

The story about 5 pyare did not happen the way we have been told.

Not praising Hinduism here but Hindus have one fast in every month. It is scientific way to keep body fit give body rest for one day. They put the fast in religion. People only do if it is in religion. There are many things they put in religion. Like not to eat cow meat not to cut pepal tree. We Sikhs are more ritualistic then Hindus. But we fail to see.

You said to be counted for, sure it was needed then to carry sword and have dress that can be recognize any where. Those days were very brutal. People in India lost their self esteem. Now the times has been changed. It is what we do will make us stand out not by our cloths or 6” knife. Action speaks louder then talk.

There is only one thing person have to follow that is do not think bad things about any one or any life.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Jagmohan ji,

the mind likes boundaries...it likes to differentiate with others...
this is the world of duality ... defining I, and the other.

if i say "i am sikh" .. "you are hindu or muslim" then this creates the boundaries that the mind wants to create.

if one says "I am sikh, a seeker of the truth, the complete truth" and see's himself as no different to a Hindu who is seeking, a muslim who is seeking..

then the illusion of religion, the boundaries vanish ... and maybe we can really see the one'ness in us all.

often when people ask me what religion i am part of (due to my turban) i say "i am a seeker of the truth" .. they can't create any mental boundaries that way, they can't place me in a bracket....it causes a short circuit in their heads...it's almost visual.

If i say i'm a sikh, you can see the boundaries being created in their minds, they have defined me as falling in a certain bracket.

Can i not be a sikh without these mental boundaries being created in my own mind and in the mind of others? society has created those boundaries, not religion itself.

there are no brackets, no boundaries in true religion. the illusory part is the corruption, the money making, the controlling that man has created under influence of ego, lust, anger, desire, and greed.

then there is true religion - freedom to grow spiritually, and not a single mental boundary in sight from all humanity.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Sikhism is not a religion within it's own boundaries like other faiths.
A hindu, muslim or Christian can all be Sikhs if they practice gurmat.

Guru Nanak ji was trying to 'better' the peoples ways of practicing their own religions. He was not trying to make another competitive religion but trying to improvise gurmat behavior and conduct into one's life.

:winkingsingh:Please NOTE- Thus is just my personal opinion, it is in no way defining the initiatives and purposes of Guruji !!!0:)
A disclaimer is essential sometimes for your own safety!!

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
SSA

Every one here claiming to be the truth seeker. I just wonder where are they seeking the truth? Most are seeking in the dark where no one can find.the turh.

As long as we build our faith on other’s faith that can not be seeking the truth. It is blind faith. If some one try to tell the truth every one jumps in him/her. Because people have build their faith on other’s faith.

Most of us can not handle the truth. Truth will shatter the faith. People use religion as crutch. When crutch is broken they will fall. Religion do not have truth it is full of ritual.

Nanak tries to teach us not to do ritual but we can not stop that. The biggest lie we are living is putting Guru’s picture in their home or in gurdwaras. All the pictures of guru or sants of that time are fake. Why don’t any one search the truth and find out who it started? People I talk says that we need some thing to associate with.
Well my friends Muslim religion is 1400 years older they don’t have any picture of Mohammad. No Muslim can bow down to Mohammad’s grave. Here we are worshiping fake pictures. Why not find out what was the real purpose of Guru Gobind Singh to create Khalsa.

I go to India in winter most of my time is spend in searching for the truth. It is very rewarding to do the research. When I find the truth my faith get much stronger, because it is built on truth.

palaingtha

SPNer
Aug 28, 2012

When I bend at Gurdwara before SGGS Ji to Mathatek I have nothing in my mind to ask or beg of from God. I kneel down just in obeisance.
When the first commotion started in Ashok Vihar where I live, during those bad days for Sikhs, when the massacre of Sikhs started with the go ahead signal of the higher ups and when all the police machinery was paralised, I had only one prayer in my mouth/heart that "God let me not fail in these trying times. I would prefer death for myself/my family than agree to have my Sikhi smeared.
Groups and groups and hoards passed in front of my house but nobody looked at our house.
About 5-6 houses from my house they inquired if there were any Sikhs in the locality and, they got a reply hat the family has shifted a year ago. That was true. A Sikh family had shifted away. But we were there and our presence alluded from the mind of the lady whom the marauders asked for any Sikh family.
That was the faith of a Sikh in his Guru and real faith assures one with God's blessings.

Inderjeet Kaur

Writer
SPNer
Oct 13, 2011
Seattle, Washington, USA
SSA

Every one here claiming to be the truth seeker. I just wonder where are they seeking the truth? Most are seeking in the dark where no one can find.the turh.

As long as we build our faith on other’s faith that can not be seeking the truth. It is blind faith. If some one try to tell the truth every one jumps in him/her. Because people have build their faith on other’s faith.

Most of us can not handle the truth. Truth will shatter the faith. People use religion as crutch. When crutch is broken they will fall. Religion do not have truth it is full of ritual.

Nanak tries to teach us not to do ritual but we can not stop that. The biggest lie we are living is putting Guru’s picture in their home or in gurdwaras. All the pictures of guru or sants of that time are fake. Why don’t any one search the truth and find out who it started? People I talk says that we need some thing to associate with.
Well my friends Muslim religion is 1400 years older they don’t have any picture of Mohammad. No Muslim can bow down to Mohammad’s grave. Here we are worshiping fake pictures. Why not find out what was the real purpose of Guru Gobind Singh to create Khalsa.

I go to India in winter most of my time is spend in searching for the truth. It is very rewarding to do the research. When I find the truth my faith get much stronger, because it is built on truth.

I search for Truth in three places: Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, my inner being and by observing the world around me. The first two are the most reliable, I think.

In my home, there are no pictures of Gurus. Gurus were wealthy enough to have formal portraits painted. The fact that they didn't indicates they didn't want us to have pictures of them, I believe for that very reason.

What they looked like is unimportant. Only the Truth they taught is relevant, and then only once you've discovered the reflection of it in your own being.

Oh, ****, I'm pontificating. Forgive me.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I search for Truth in three places: Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, my inner being and by observing the world around me. The first two are the most reliable, I think.

In my home, there are no pictures of Gurus. Gurus were wealthy enough to have formal portraits painted. The fact that they didn't indicates they didn't want us to have pictures of them, I believe for that very reason.

What they looked like is unimportant. Only the Truth they taught is relevant, and then only once you've discovered the reflection of it in your own being.

Oh, ****, I'm pontificating. Forgive me.

no your not, I think what you have written is very true, and for me, is a good way to start the day with such words

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
SSA

Doesn't matter does it if they search in the dark, sometimes the experience of searching in dark makes you appreciate and understand the light more when the light is found ... making them truth seekers -

it wouldn't be called truth seeking if the dark isn't encountered a long the way also.

Another lesson one learns whilst Truth Seeking is not to judge others without actually knowing what they are doing. I fall into this trap sometimes myself, falling into this trap has made me realise the truth in Guru Ji's words:

naanak parakhae aap ko thaa paarakh jaan ||
O Nanak, if someone judges himself, only then is he known as a real judge.

Full shabad: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=433

if you feel you need to go to india in the winter to search for the truth, please do so ... from my own experience, searching on the outside only led me to search within myself...that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to india on your search, you should, because your journey and what you encounter is unique and special ... it would be boring if everyones journey is the same :)

chith chalai vith jaavano saakath ddol ddolaae ||
The consciousness of the wicked, faithless cynics wanders around in search of transitory wealth, unstable and distracted.

baahar dtoo(n)dt vigucheeai ghar mehi vasath suthhaae ||
Searching outside of themselves, they are ruined; the object of their search is in that sacred place within the home of the heart.

manamukh houmai kar musee guramukh palai paae ||4||
The self-willed manmukhs, in their ego, miss it; the Gurmukhs receive it in their laps. ||4||

Full shabad: http://www.sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=168

Last edited:

seeker3k

SPNer
May 24, 2008
canada
SSA

My father was a wrestler a good one too. But if I say that my father was the best of all wrestlers that would be wrong. He did not wrestlers. So my statement is wrong. Few others will agree with me that he was good wrestler. Those who have not seen him wrestle they can not. But some says that because they have heard from other people.
Knowing and watching him will be the proof that he was good wrestler.

The TRUTH is with in not out there. To know what is in SGGS one has to know few languages. I don’t even know one well enough to say that I know. What good is the best book to me if I can not read nor understand what is written in the book? People say I can consult with those who know. That would be their interoperation not mines. Not knocking down SGGS. Every one knows poetry not mean what one can read. The SGGS is written in poetry. I do not have enough time to learn all the languages just to understand what is written in it.

Here is verse from very famous song ,Surinder Kaur. Akha vich pawan keve surma akhan vich tu vasda. Is it really her lover is living in her eyes that she can not put surman in her eyes. NO.

There is no end to good books in this world. No one can read them all. What will happen to those who are blind of deaf? I have seen many deaf and blind going to Gurdwara,Mandar,Church. Will that do any good to that person?

If person don’t know him/her self then there is no need to read or go to Gurdwara.
As far as I understand Nanak never said to do the padh let alone 5 banian. Or to do akhand padh. He said to live honest life and do the simran.

That is what I am asking over and over what was that simran that Nanak said to do.
Many says it do not mean any thing what is that simran one can just make up his/her own. Nanak also said this shabad was there in the beginning, is here now and will be here till the end. It is very clear that Nanak did not say make up your own shabad.
Sikhism has 3 pillars. Kirt karo, Bandh shako, simran karo. It is repeated over and over.

I have explained it before I canceled my membership 2 years ago. Some how I go back here.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
SSA

My father was a wrestler a good one too. But if I say that my father was the best of all wrestlers that would be wrong. He did not wrestlers. So my statement is wrong. Few others will agree with me that he was good wrestler. Those who have not seen him wrestle they can not. But some says that because they have heard from other people.

The TRUTH is with in not out there. To know what is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji one has to know few languages. I don’t even know one well enough to say that I know. What good is the best book to me if I can not read nor understand what is written in the book? People say I can consult with those who know. That would be their interoperation not mines. Not knocking down Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Every one knows poetry not mean what one can read. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is written in poetry. I do not have enough time to learn all the languages just to understand what is written in it.

Here is verse from very famous song ,Surinder Kaur. Akha vich pawan keve surma akhan vich tu vasda. Is it really her lover is living in her eyes that she can not put surman in her eyes. NO.

There is no end to good books in this world. No one can read them all. What will happen to those who are blind of deaf? I have seen many deaf and blind going to Gurdwara,Mandar,Church. Will that do any good to that person?

If person don’t know him/her self then there is no need to read or go to Gurdwara.
As far as I understand Nanak never said to do the padh let alone 5 banian. Or to do akhand padh. He said to live honest life and do the simran.

That is what I am asking over and over what was that simran that Nanak said to do.
Many says it do not mean any thing what is that simran one can just make up his/her own. Nanak also said this shabad was there in the beginning, is here now and will be here till the end. It is very clear that Nanak did not say make up your own shabad.
Sikhism has 3 pillars. Kirt karo, Bandh shako, simran karo. It is repeated over and over.

I have explained it before I canceled my membership 2 years ago. Some how I go back here.

Satnaam Ji,

many people are doing their seva, sharing their earnings, and trying to reduce their ego, anger, lust, desire, greed ... it is already happening. but everyone is on their seperate path also...at their destined speed.

Many are awake when the world sleeps also, doing their simran ...

I agree, the shabad is forever, and is within us all.

just like hidden emotion of anger within a human body...manifests as a red face on the human being, this shabad in the universe has manifest as the perfect Sri Guru Granth sahib.

The shabad from Sri Guru Granth Sahib, i believe, i know, can connect us back to the shabad within us all...

Satnaam Ji,

If you are regularly doing your simran/Amrit Vela, it would be nice to share the journey with you. I have started a blog for Amrit Vela and Simran, please share your thoughts and practical experience.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/blogs...-vela-blog-difficulties-joys.html#comment8645

God Bless Ji

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
SSA

The TRUTH is with in not out there. To know what is in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji one has to know few languages. I don’t even know one well enough to say that I know. What good is the best book to me if I can not read nor understand what is written in the book? People say I can consult with those who know. That would be their interoperation not mines. Not knocking down Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Every one knows poetry not mean what one can read. The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is written in poetry. I do not have enough time to learn all the languages just to understand what is written in it.

in my view, and I speak from some experience, if you look deep within your heart, really deep, then you will feel the words and the message from the SGGS as it is ingrained in each of us. Sure, there is a written record that can be read by those who live in the world. For those that are deaf or blind, I believe they have access to the divine version in the heart, but even then there is braille....

The truth is open and accessable to us all, and we all know what it is, the SGGS stands to validate it, to confirm it.

I have said it before, and I say it again, you are more Sikh than a lot of Sikhs I have met.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM