• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

India High Priests May Discuss Split Gurpurabs Next Week

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
High priests may discuss split gurpurabs next week

Dharmendra Rataul - INDIAN EXPRESS - Fri Jan 07 2011

Amritsar : While some Sikhs celebrated Guru Gobind Singh’s birth anniversary on Wednesday, others will celebrate it next Tuesday, January 11. This confusion over dates arose thanks to the adoption of different versions of the Nanakshahi Calendar within the Panth. To put an end to this division of Gurpurabs, Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh may call a meeting of Sikh high priests next week.

The Sikhs are divided as the Jathedar declared that Guru Gobind Singh’s Gurpurab is to be celebrated on January 11, as per amendments made in the Nanakshahi Calendar last year, but the day was celebrated in Delhi on Wednesday. Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) Chief Paramjit Singh Sarna defied the Akal Takht Jathedar’s directives for the second time running and said he will implement the unamended Nanakshahi Calendar.

“I am concerned that divisions are emerging. There are some leaders who, for reasons best known to them, are not following the directives of the Takht. We will observe the Gurpurab on January 11 and then I will discuss the whole matter with other Jathedars,” said Giani Gurbachan Singh. He added that it was unfortunate that the Sikhs were divided. He said amendments in the Calendar were required as some of the dates were clashing, leading to confusion.

Earlier, also, a controversy had erupted over the martyrdom day of Guru Teg Bahadur in November. While some observed the ceremonies on November 24, Akal Takht, Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and even the Punjab government held the ceremonies on December 10. The Akal Takht Jathedar, who heads the Sikh religion, had stated that they had changed the dates following requests from the world over, as Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary and Guru Teg Bahadur’s martyrdom day fell “too close”.

This time also, SGPC and the Punjab government would be observing Guru Gobind Singh’s birth anniversary as per the directions of the Takht. “There are some who are not following the directions from the Takht and we are concerned about that. All these issues would be discussed amongst the five Jathedars and some solution would be found,” said the Akal Takht Jathedar. Sarna, meanwhile, said he was following the original Nanakshahi Calendar, as adopted by the Takht and SGPC.

“They (Akal Takht and SGPC) made arbitrary amendments as per the Bikrami Calendar that had been rejected by major sections of the society,” he said, adding that they had decided in principle to follow the unamended calendar.

The clash of dates has been taking place over the last many years due to SGPC and Akal Takht first adopting the Nanakshahi Calendar entirely, leaving the Bikrami Calendar, and then introducing some changes even in the Nanakshahi Calendar last year.

“The Akal Takht’s decision is always final. We have decided to observe the birth anniversary on January 11 and the directions should be followed”, said the Jathedar.

source:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&q=http://www.indianexpress.com/news/High-priests-may-discuss-split-gurpurabs-next-week/734286/&ct=ga&cad=CAcQAhgAIAAoATAEOARAkOqZ6QRIAVAAWABiBWVuLVVT&cd=9hDJxAbAHEI&usg=AFQjCNEUi1xSVEqJAWOvmtaQmxDfFgoteg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ਅਖੌਤੀ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਗੁਰਬਚਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਦੀ ਸਾਰੇ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਧਮਕੀ
gurbachan%20singh%20angry.jpg

75 ਫੀਸਦੀ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਵਲੋਂ ਦਸਮ ਪਾਤਸ਼ਾਹ ਦਾ ਜਨਮ ਦਿਹਾੜਾ 5 ਜਨਵਰੀ ਨੂੰ ਮਨਾਏ ਜਾਣ ਕਰਕੇ ਅਖੌਤੀ ਜਥੇਦਾਰ ਦਾ ਪਾਰਾ ਸੱਤਵੇਂ ਆਸਮਾਨ 'ਤੇ ਚੱੜ ਗਿਆ ਜਾਪਦਾ ਹੈ, ਅਤੇ ਦਿਮਾਗੀ ਸੰਤੂਲਨ ਹਿੱਲਣ ਦੀ ਸੰਭਾਵਨਾ ਹੈ।

ਹੁਣ ਸਾਰੇ ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਛੇਕ ਦਿਓ, ਪ੍ਰੋ. ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਸਿੰਘ ਵਾਂਗ... ਕਿਸ ਕਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਛੇਕੋਗੇ... ਲਾ ਲੈ ਜੋਰ, ਵਜਾ ਲੈ ਢੋਲ... ਹੁਣ ਸਿੱਖ ਜਾਗ ਚੁੱਕੇ ਹਨ... ਆਪਣੇ ਕੂੜਨਾਮੇ ਨੂੰ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਤਖਤ ਦਾ ਹੁਕਮਨਾਮਾ ਕਹਿਕੇ ਸਾਰੀ ਸਿੱਖ ਕੌਮ 'ਤੇ ਥੋਪ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਦੇ, ਦਿਵਾਰ 'ਤੇ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਅੱਖਾਂ ਖੋਲ ਕੇ ਪੜੋ...

ਸੰਪਾਦਕ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਨਿਊਜ਼

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
“I am concerned that divisions are emerging. There are some leaders who, for reasons best known to them, are not following the directives of the Takht. We will observe the Gurpurab on January 11 and then I will discuss the whole matter with other Jathedars,” said Giani Gurbachan Singh.
What can anyone say? Do we now have a Vatican and 5 Popes? It is however a blessing that the SPN Calendar shows both Nanakshahi Bikram and Nanakshahi Purewal for the month of January. I checked. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul_jyot ji

You know that one of the problems the panth is facing - purely practical - is that for gurpurabs to be set, the jantris of Benares must first complete their calculations for various celebrations, observances, and sangrands. Gurpurabs affected are those falling after the start of the Bikram year. The last I looked on the SGPC web site I could not find the Nanakshahi calendar, Bikram Samvat version, for 2011. Am checking. We knew what it would be for Guru Gobind Singh as that was cast in advance, always the 7th day of Poh. If anyone can point me toward an online version, I would be most grateful.

Right now it is unclear whether the Parkash Diwas for Guru Har Rai will be January 31 or a later date.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM