• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Dar-es-salaam Gurdwara committee from 80 years ago. 1929

Respected forum members. We have obtained this wonderful image, from forum member Gyani Jarnail Singh ji. But it needs some narrative. So much can be learned about the Kenya Sikhs. If anyone was a member of the sangat in Kenya and has personal narratives, anecdotes, or histories bearing on the subject, Please Post Them Here! Thank you!

Attachments

• Dar-es-salaam+1929.jpg
    Dar-es-salaam+1929.jpg
    31.1 KB · Reads: 258

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
The British enticed a lot of Sikhs to work for them in East Africa in skilled jobs. At the end of British rule in Kenya, they were offered to leave and retain British citizenship or become Kenyan citizens. There was then a waiting list to enter the UK with a lottery for which names would be allowed in each year (quota system).

arshi

Writer
SPNer
Aug 20, 2009
Giani Jarnail Singh and Mai Harinder Kaur jios<?"urn::eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Please accept my sincere apologies for not responding to your posts for quite a while. The main reason is my preoccupation with work and domestic/social obligations. Whatever spare time I had, was spent in finding my own bearing on my spirituality through the teachings of the Master of all Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji. The journey is long and strewed with distractions and obstacles.

Time permitting I would love to share my experiences with my fellow brothers and sisters on SPN. Few of you may know that a very prominent and frequent contributor on SPN was my primary school classmate in <?xml:::eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Nairobi, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Kenya</st1:country-region> and it was through the Sikhnet and SPN forums that I was able to re-establish contact with him after almost 50 years. We used to debate (sometimes argue) Sikhi in primary school but now having matured a lot we are in agreement on most things and from time to time enjoy our reunion over the phone even though we are thousands of miles apart – if this is not a true miracle then what is?

Kindest regards ji

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Last edited by a moderator:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM