• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Help please! - Obsessive-ompulsive thoughts

Navjot 193

SPNer
Dec 16, 2021
I have a question i hope you can help me i am mentally ill
Obsessive-compulsive thoughts for years my childhood was not good
I have some questions
I want to know what it means
My parents are punjabi
My mother made me psych sick
I am born in Germany
I want to know
What does (hai) mean in punjabi it is not good
My mother says (tenu hai lage) main tenu hai deni a) please can you tell me what it means i would be so grateful

gjsingh

SPNer
Oct 29, 2013
I don't speak punjabi, but if by "hai" you mean ਹੈ it only means "is" which is neutral in meaning obviously. I can assure you that OCD is an illness, it is not "real", the gurus were at the forefront of scientific knowledge in their day, I am convinced that medicine, therapy, and kirtan would be their prescription.

Please consider that OCD is a kind of fear, consider that Mool ("root, basis, beginning") Mantar includes the epithet ਨਿਰਭਉ or "fearless" so what is there to actually fear here?

Take medicine and be free.

Admin

SPNer
Jun 1, 2004
SPN
"hai" you mean ਹੈ
"Hai" as in "Haaye" in Punjabi in this context would mean wishing of ill or evil wish, if that ever exists... In Sikhi, there is no concept of Evil or bad Spirits... but many Sikhs would definitely disagree with me... 🤷‍♂️

Aug 13, 2004
US
Navjot,

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from OCD and don't have appropriate family support. Please don't hate your mother for her ignorance. Punjabi community is quite ignorant about mental illness and is usually ashamed to admit that a family member needs help. My prayers for your parents! No family needs to face this alone.

Hope you are already seeing a professional. ERP Therapy is the correct way to help yourself. Some patients may need medication too to help them initially. Here is a wonderful online support group to start with OCD-Support groups.io Group
This has tremendous resources to guide you and support you. Hope you feel better soon!

I will also strongly recommend that you practice Gurbani in your life. Wake up early, meditate, workout, eat nutritional foods (limited sugar), read and understand Gurbani (which will put your mind to work on positivity), do sewa (again to distract your mind off the intrusive thoughts), do sangat of positive people who keeps you connected with the Guru.

Guru Ang Sang!!

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM