• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Health Watch

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
I have read one of this

10 reasons to not to eat Tuna !

all the points are very similar and unconvincing and very highly biased and technically wrong

they cant convince any intelligent tuna eater for sure so didnt felt like reading others
But for someone struggling to become veg from non veg diet such reassurance can be of some help

Jatinder Singh

Apr 4, 2007
actually about 90% of everything posted is untrue if you eat locally raised products, rather than from factory farms. also note that these little "articles" are about american raised food animals, the same conditions don't necessarily apply in developing nations.

if you need to convince yourself to be a vegetarian based on half-truths, i'd say you might want to rethink your dietary habits. :)

(and yes, i AM a vegetarian. :) )

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
What hasn't been discussed -- just in my limited time here of course-- are the medical dangers of a vegetarian diet.

Usually the debate is about moral questions. Or about the dangers of meat, fish, eggs, processed food, and non-organic foods.

Just in the interests of a fair and balanced dialog. How healthy is it to be vegetarian in a high tech, fast-paced, commute-far-to-the-job-from-home, irregular hours at the office, kind of world?

I have been a vegetarian for a while and my dietary regimen leaves a lot to be desired. If my work schedule crosses over mid-day meals and dinner later in the day, either I eat salads constantly, or the default option is starchy foods and foods high in butter fat.

Whipping together a chana dal, some good whole wheat breads, some pureed and spiced green vegatables, some great chutneys (wet and dry ) is not going to happen until the weekend. So it is salad, grilled cheese sandwhiches, and vegetarian noodle dishes -- because that is what most restaurants and work-place cafeterias have for vegetarians.

My guess is that minerals, B vitamins and important aminos have gone missing from my diet. But I am not an expert on this. DrKhalsa ji -- what do you advise about a eating balanced vegetarian diet in today's world?

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Friends

In wersten world its not very easy for vegetarians especially when your r single

the good source for protiens is various pulses and chana( black gram ) and Milk products like curd ( yoghurt), soft white cheese ,Soyabean

this should be supplimented with fresh fruits

In my opinion Non Vegens need more of Salad and Vegan should not bother much as there is lot of fibres in veg foods already

Personally I am not good at food selection and just eat what ever is available

Jatinder Singh

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Begum ji,

Do not laugh! You have no idea how horrified I was when I was 14 years old -- read Biography of a Yogi (I think that was the title) -- and there were pictures of how it proceeds and other things too.

Got over it. Only to find out that a person I worked with was converted to doing this by his wife. She died in her 40's in spite of the strict regimens she had for this, and EVERYTHING else.

Got over that. Then discovered not too long ago that Mr. Kellogg - founder of all the Kellogg cereals -- was a health nut. He started a kind of health ranch. All the members of his family and their friends went on retreat there. And part of the regimen was... you know what. It was called then, a colonic.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
drkhalsa Ji,

Could you kindly let us know which parts are misleading and which aren't ?
You as a doctor would qualify for the job.

click here > Colon Cleansing Dangers

Akaal Sehai.

Santokh

eternity

SPNer
Nov 24, 2007
Hello Everyone

Isn't fasting once a week with juice and fruits, a good cleanser for all systems in the body!(just like greasing the machinery)

Please forgive me

Eternity

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Hello Everyone

Isn't fasting once a week with juice and fruits, a good cleanser for all systems in the body!(just like greasing the machinery)

eternity Ji,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Gurpurb di vadhai hovei

I agree with your thoughts because I just (a few hours ago) tried this with surprisingly wonderful results:

I used 1 whole lemon mixed with sachet powder consisting of ginger and honey. Added some ice and Equal for sweetening.

Akaal Sehai,

Santokh

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone! While we are on the subject of health, may I suggest that anyone who uses a microwave oven think twice before doing so. The action of microwaving food does bad things to it. There are various sites you can go to do find out more. Try typing "bad side effects of microwave ovens/food" in the space bar and see what comes up- interesting reading!
Blessings to all
Kulwant

Apr 4, 2007
Sat Nam, everyone! While we are on the subject of health, may I suggest that anyone who uses a microwave oven think twice before doing so. The action of microwaving food does bad things to it. There are various sites you can go to do find out more. Try typing "bad side effects of microwave ovens/food" in the space bar and see what comes up- interesting reading!
Blessings to all
Kulwant

don't get too worked up about it... most of the anti-microwave stuff is pure science fiction. you can find that ANYTHING is bad for you if you search the internet. there are crazy stories about everything you can imagine. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM