• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Harleen Kaur Uncovered

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
badsah ji

You posted in Hard Talk, so I am going to talk hard.

Do not be surprised if a person or two or more tells you that this woman, however more self-respecting, is not a Sikh because she dishonors her hair by plucking her brows. Or dishonors her self by wearing make-up. And that her professional investment is in a career that is not aligned with Sikh values. Or even that as a model she is attached to worldly things and this is not Sikhi. She has even taken a non-Sikh name.

I am not giving you my opinion of the video, or Harlene/Giselle. I am only trying to portray the difficulties that arise when this topic comes up. The Scottish Harleen was criticized for the lingerie ad. But she was also criticized for cutting her hair and being a model. The former contrary to the Sikh Rehat Maryada. The latter concern contrary to what some Sikhs view as essential: that our careers should not contradict Sikh values (which in the other thread were never stated). So we cannot tell.

What are the Sikh values we are talking about when this subject comes up?

I stand corrected. Got the real person and the movie persona reversed. My reply below.

Last edited by a moderator:

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
badsah ji

You posted in Hard Talk, so I am going to talk hard.

Do not be surprised if a person or two or more tells you that this woman, however more self-respecting, is not a Sikh because she dishonors her hair by plucking her brows. Or dishonors her self by wearing make-up. And that her professional investment is in a career that is not aligned with Sikh values. Or even that as a model she is attached to worldly things and this is not Sikhi.

I am not giving you my opinion of the video. I am only trying to portray the difficulties that arise when this topic comes up. The Scottish Harleen was criticized for the lingerie ad. But she was also criticized for cutting her hair and being a model. The former contrary to the Sikh Rehat Maryada. The latter concern contrary to what some Sikhs view as essential: that our careers should not contradict Sikh values (which in the other thread were never stated). So we cannot tell.

I am not talking about extreme ends (super harcore amritdarhi) and I am not talking about super liberal (Harleen Kaur Nottay), I am talking about your average punjabi Sikh girl..... lets put it this way I dont this this Brazilian girl conjours up any bad feelings.

"Do not be surprised if a person or two or more tells you that this woman, however more self-respecting, is not a Sikh because she dishonors her hair by plucking her brows. Or dishonors her self by wearing make-up. And that her professional investment is in a career that is not aligned with Sikh values. Or even that as a model she is attached to worldly things and this is not Sikhi"

To be honest, we are in such small numbers outside of India that if you be that strict you probably never get married, becuase you wont be able to find a partner for yourself. There are only 500,000 Sikhs in the UK, I dont know about USA or Canada but must be less and I think sometimes being moderate will take you more ahead than being super strict.

Anyway she is not a real Sikh but just a girl acting as a Sikh punjabi girl and looks respectable to me.... and thats what counts. It better then somoen saying they are SIkh and stripping naked like the Scottish girl!

"What are the Sikh values we are talking about when this subject comes up?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->"

Its not about SIkh values, but about how she respectably portays the majority of Sikhs girls.... moderate families.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
badsah ji

I stand corrected. Got the real person and the movie persona reversed. My reply below.

badshah ji

I made a mistake - a blooper as they say. And yet it is a fortunate mistake because it opens up yet another aspect of the problems we have been discussing.

And suitable it is for hard talk. Because there will also be individuals who will disagree that a Sikh woman should be portrayed the way Giselle has portrayed her -- for the reasons I stated in my earlier post. Won't repeat them here. And they will say that the cinema has contributed greatly to the erosion of traditional values. And they will say that Sikh girls are confused about their identity when they see these characters on the silver screen and thus go astray.

Moreover, there will be those who agree that the more strict the code of personal values we impose on our young the more likely they are to jump ship. But there will also be those who disagree and say that Sikhism itself will disappear if Sikh values are in any way compromised.

You do make a point when you question whether Sikh values are at issue, and that perhaps values are not at all at stake.

Again I raise these issues only for the purposes of hard talk. I am not on a soap box.

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
badshah ji

I made a mistake - a blooper as they say. And yet it is a fortunate mistake because it opens up yet another aspect of the problems we have been discussing.

And suitable it is for hard talk. Because there will also be individuals who will disagree that a Sikh woman should be portrayed the way Giselle has portrayed her -- for the reasons I stated in my earlier post. Won't repeat them here. And they will say that the cinema has contributed greatly to the erosion of traditional values. And they will say that Sikh girls are confused about their identity when they see these characters on the silver screen and thus go astray.

Moreover, there will be those who agree that the more strict the code of personal values we impose on our young the more likely they are to jump ship. But there will also be those who disagree and say that Sikhism itself will disappear if Sikh values are in any way compromised.

You do make a point when you question whether Sikh values are at issue, and that perhaps values are not at all at stake.

Again I raise these issues only for the purposes of hard talk. I am not on a soap box.

I see your points but unfortnuately we cannot have TV policed to Taliban standards, also living in the West where majority are Christians you do not have the media censored in line with Christian beliefs. If it was censored then there would be no Pamela Anderson, no Paris Hilon etc etc..... So that leads to the poin that we are acting as indiviuals and can make choices.

The only way you can have the so-called perfect Sikh World is to have Khalistan and then impose Sikh laws, but then we would be refered to as being inline with the Taliban. Anyway it would not include Western Sikhs so there is no real answer

I also think that maybe Science and the Internet combined with a hint of religion (for the purpose of introducing God) will form the new religion of the world.

People these days do not need to go to holy men, or look for answers in books, people are no longer backward and we look at things differently as humans.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
All sturdy arguments badshah ji. Getting this thread off to a good start. All angles, thanks to you many angles, of a very big picture can be reviewed. welcomekaur

badshah

SPNer
May 8, 2010
All sturdy arguments badshah ji. Getting this thread off to a good start. All angles, thanks to you many angles, of a very big picture can be reviewed. welcomekaur

Just to add..... on the topic of religion..... how many people when in hardship or distress do you think open up their religious books? I bet you most people these days either use their brains to figure it out or post a quick question on yahoo questions and within seconds they have their problem resolved through the world of the internet. Internet is defo the new religion (a combination of millions of minds all in one place)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM