• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

United Sikhs Haiti Earthquake Survivors Get Hot Meals As UNITED SIKHS AID Start Serving Langgar

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Haiti Earthquake Survivors Get Hot Meals As UNITED SIKHS AID Start Serving Langgar

Port-au-Prince, Haiti : UNITED SIKHS' second volunteer team arrived at Port-au-Prince yesterday and started serving langgar (the Sikh tradition of serving hot meals cooked in a community kitchen) to survivors of the earthquake. Harcharan Singh and Amritpaul Singh, both from Brampton, Canada, arrived earlier this week to join the ongoing relief efforts in Haiti. The volunteers purchased food, water and supplies in two 20 feet trucks before heading to the UNITED SIKHS AID camp in Haiti. Despite the immensely difficult travel, the volunteers did not rest until they had prepared and served hot meals to about 500 survivors. Click here for Haiti Relief gallery.

"We were tired after spending 30 hours on the road, but did not want to rest until we had cooked and served our first hot meals to earthquake survivors" said Harcharan Singh, UNITED SIKHS AID Langgar in-charge. "My family and Sikh community have supported me to come and serve here. I am happy that I was able to live up to my faith and expectations." He added.

"After seeing the magnitude of disaster I forgot all my pain. Here, everyone needs help. Countless survivors with serious injuries are hungry and waiting for food. I could not think of anything else but to cook hot meals and serve them," said Amritpaul Singh, UNITED SIKHS Aid volunteer.

"We believe it's a clear sign of progress when we see the quantity of supplies that relief agencies are pouring in. I am thankful to UNITED SIKHS for serving hot-meals to our people. It is a noble cause," said a member of the interior ministry of Haiti in a meeting with Lt Col Gurbachan Singh. Earlier this week, the United Nations appealed to NGOs on the ground for immediate medical supplies. Please click here for a detailed medical supply list; our medical team will be transporting the supplies we are able to collect.

Recovery would be faster if there were more ways to get aid into the country, including the reopening of the city's seaport. However, UNITED SIKHS is sending food and emergency supplies from Miami using all possible means of air and sea routes, in addition to ground transport from other regions

Four more volunteers of UNITED SIKHS AID team are flying in for the relief effort today. Our second medical team will also reach there soon to provide additional medical assistance.

We thank all donors, individuals, Gurdwaras (Sikh places of worship), and volunteers who have been supporting us on the relief effort.
Your donation of any amount could help save lives by providing food, water, temporary shelter, medical services and emotional support to people in need.

Issued by:
Kuldip Singh
Director
UNITED SIKHS
sikhaid@unitedsikhs.org
Ph: 1-888-243-1690 or 1-646-688-3525

Attachments

• Lang{censored}wa1.jpg
    Lang{censored}wa1.jpg
    5.9 KB · Reads: 441
  • Lang{censored}wa2.jpg
    Lang{censored}wa2.jpg
    7.5 KB · Reads: 456
  • Lang{censored}wa3.jpg
    Lang{censored}wa3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Reads: 449
  • Camp.jpg
    Camp.jpg
    12.4 KB · Reads: 457
  • PuttingTent.jpg
    PuttingTent.jpg
    11.5 KB · Reads: 431

bscheema

SPNer
Jan 4, 2010
Re: Haiti Earthquake Survivors Get Hot Meals As UNITED SIKHS AID Start Serving Langga

gr8 i think sewa prospect sikhi ..thn any thing else :yes:

ac_marshall

SPNer
Nov 5, 2009
Bangalore, India
Re: Haiti Earthquake Survivors Get Hot Meals As UNITED SIKHS AID Start Serving Langga

Most Welcome Randip Singhji. Service to mankind is the fundamental factor of all religions. But religious institutions around the world are so politicized that the basic tenet of "Service to Mankind" takes a back seat in the quest for power. They need to be reminded of their purpose by noble men like "United Sikhs". May the almighty bless them with long life and energy to continue their noble service.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM