• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Guru Nanak Dev Ji Being Asked: Why Leave Home, Travel, The Objectives And Mission . 6

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
This is direct questioning of Guru ji in terms of why he goes out, the mission and how it will help the people that Guru ji addresses.

Let us review the following,

Sidhas/Yogis ask:
ਕਿਸੁ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਗ੍ਰਿਹੁ ਤਜਿਓ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਕਿਸੁ ਕਾਰਣਿ ਇਹੁ ਭੇਖੁ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ
Kis kāraṇ garihu ṯaji▫o uḏāsī. Kis kāraṇ ih bẖekẖ nivāsī.
What was the reason to leave home and become a wanderer? What was the reason to take the persona of a wanderer?
ਕਿਸੁ ਵਖਰ ਕੇ ਤੁਮ ਵਣਜਾਰੇ ਕਿਉ ਕਰਿ ਸਾਥੁ ਲੰਘਾਵਹੁ ਪਾਰੇ ੧੭॥
Kis vakẖar ke ṯum vaṇjāre. Ki▫o kar sāth langẖāvahu pāre. ||17||
What merchandise you deal in? How will your group accompany you to salvation?
Guru Ji’s answers:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਖੋਜਤ ਭਏ ਉਦਾਸੀ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੈ ਤਾਈ ਭੇਖ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ
Gurmukẖ kẖojaṯ bẖa▫e uḏāsī. Ḏarsan kai ṯā▫ī bẖekẖ nivāsī.
Became a wanderer in search of the creator compliant. Took the persona to so experience these.
ਸਾਚ ਵਖਰ ਕੇ ਹਮ ਵਣਜਾਰੇ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਉਤਰਸਿ ਪਾਰੇ ੧੮॥
Sācẖ vakẖar ke ham vaṇjāre. Nānak gurmukẖ uṯras pāre. ||18||
Truth merchandise I deal in. Nanak, follower of creator’s direction gets across.
Guru ji describe the inner desire to seek out the creator focused and guided. Such being the key reason for travels. Truth is the merchandise/goods that Guru ji state as the one he handles. Guru ji state that the creator linked people find salvation.

What you think?

Sat Sri Akal.

PS: Please see the appropriate complete Shabad here,

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sidh-gosht/38761-si-gosht-sabad-17-32-73-a.html

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Amabrsaria ji,
i have suggestion. You could put up the links to the previous threads in the bottom of the post so that anyone wanting to see the previous threads can easily scan back and forth.

You may also want to edit previous replies to include a link to posts you made after.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Guru Nanak ji set out to travel as much of the world he could by foot in search of people practicing the 'truth'.
He was out to find these so called sacred places and sacred people.
I don't think he was out to set these people straight or correct them, I'm sure he was searching to see if these sacreds had any truth in them or was it just empty and false.

Some may feel that he specifically set out on travels like a critic looking to fault and would label him as one of the reveal all tv programmes you get today. However I feel that he was searching for the real thing or being, that lived within all the realms of God and Truth.
There was no media or newspapers, so he would only know once he got there.

Sadly, I'm sure he was dissaopinted to see so many faces looking in the wrong directions!!
He made them all think and learn from themselves from the way he spoke. He didn't try to dictate what was correct or incorrect in any way.- That is the beauty!!

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Luckysingh ji great post. Just some of my observations to your comments.
I don't think he was out to set these people straight or correct them, I'm sure he was searching to see if these sacreds had any truth in them or was it just empty and false.
So clearly stated by Guru Nanak Dev ji. Seeking versus preaching was the motive.
Some may feel that he specifically set out on travels like a critic looking to fault and would label him as one of the reveal all tv programmes you get today.
Guruji's demeanor in addressing at times hostile questions is incredibly a light that so shines. His was an unwavering focus on truth. Additionally he does not appear to hide or not share or use gotcha style. So common now that you mention TV!
He made them all think and learn from themselves from the way he spoke. He didn't try to dictate what was correct or incorrect in any way.- That is the beauty!!
A perfect discoverer. An esteemed teacher. He enabled versus just provide for others to copy or swallow.

By the way in all of this no chanting, no meditating and no recluse.mundahug

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Guru Nanak ji set out to travel as much of the world he could by foot in search of people practicing the 'truth'.
Exactly! Lucky Singh ji, I used to think Guru ji went around arguing with holy men and debunking things (their beliefs). He in fact doesn't do that, and meets many enlightened holy men on his journey, like the ones in Sidh Ghosht. When they humbly question him on his beliefs. Guru Nanak humbly replies "you have already made it, what can I say to you?"

That's his response. But they insist that he say something. Guru Nanak has searched for and found these Siddhas on a mountain, something which the aam aadmi, the common man, never does, he doesn't care about enlightenment. Only those with that spark, that special something search for it. The Siddhas are wondering "who is this guy?"

So now they are in the conversation, let's see how it ends.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
What is very interesting here is that the sidhs have hidden away from society in their own dens.They think that their own group is the one that can attain salvation or mukhti.

Their lifestyle with their clothes, hair, dirt rubbed on their bodies, earrings etc..etc... is the way, in their opinion of how this class of people attains mukhti. To be away from society where it is just them and God is the only way that the God-man relationship can get stronger.

These sidhs are not lost or finding the way, they actually believe that their very own spirituality is the highest that is possible. They don't think that it is anywhere near possible if living in and with normal society.

This confidence is seen in their questions to Guruji. They feel that the connection or meditation required to converse and be joined with creator can only be done in their manner.
NOTE- This problem still exists today where groups of people will claim that only their way will give enlightenment.

Guruji is much younger and some of these sidhs would be much older. So you can imagine how difficult it would be for a young person in this day to talk and answer questions from highly spiritual beings much older than your own fathers or grandfathers!

However, he doesn't answer too confidently or respond cheekily even though some of their questions would be like cheeky pokes to a youngster that an elder would pose to one who thinks he knows it..

For eg..what techniqnique you use ?
who is your group?
what do we focus on or how do we stay in sehaj?
what technique to use to control desires,family and ambitions..etc.?

Guruji still gave clear, direct and single answers that could actually answer many multiple questions that were being posed.

He makes it very importantly clear here that to be in society and to be contributing selflessly ie ''SEVA'' is a requirement besides keeping the naam connection in your mind.
We can realise here that just being connected with the truth in our dealings with society around us is ALL Seva.
Being a householder and offering some contribution or service into the running of society is Essential in addition to having love and control of the innerself and be in meditation with the lord within you.

Having a connection within the realms of Truth within our minds and heart is also needed for our own self realisation, whilst helping sustain all that is around us.

In todays day we can learn so much from this given dialogue if we could apply it in the same attitude and manner.
Just think of the questions posed by the sidhs and how close and applicable they are even today and asked by many normal individuals.
-Sadly, many of these individuals fail to follow the guruji's anwers and they find or come across some baba or leader that can show the way to enlightment. This enlighenment normally means a subscription to their services and worship, as well as some monetary donation!!

It's funny how you see videos of these babas trying to make it look real and quoting certain areas of bani but they NEVER quote the sidh gosht and it's conclusion do they??

The sidh gosht can not only guide the many of us lost in trying to find ourselves and find enlightenment, but it can also help ALL sikhs that are on the right path in to guiding themselves to becoming 'Gurmukh'.

The conduct of this conversaton is amazing and it sets standards that are high enough to be included in a make believe ''Guide to becoming Gurmukh!''

It's a very thoughtful approach that Ambarsaria ji has taken here with discussing this matter.
I hope other's can join and help enhance the importance of this unique bani.

Waheguru

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Guru ji describe the civility and joyousness of the gathering while providing unwavering focus on sharing and discovering truth. This marvelously sustains throughout Sidh Gohst bani in SGGS.

Let us revisit,
ਰਾਮਕਲੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਸਿਧ ਗੋਸਟਿ
Rāmkalī mėhlā 1 siḏẖ gosat
Raag Ramkali, Guru Nanak Dev ji Sidh Gosht

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ
Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.
One creator so received through the blessing of a true Guru

ਸਿਧ ਸਭਾ ਕਰਿ ਆਸਣਿ ਬੈਠੇ ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ ਜੈਕਾਰੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਆਗੈ ਰਹਰਾਸਿ ਹਮਾਰੀ ਸਾਚਾ ਅਪਰ ਅਪਾਰੋ
Siḏẖ sabẖā kar āsaṇ baiṯẖe sanṯ sabẖā jaikāro. Ŧis āgai rahrās hamārī sācẖā apar apāro.
Gathering of the true in composure, shouting glory to the gathering of the pious. Our prayer to those, where the true, infinite and confirmed creator so resides

ਮਸਤਕੁ ਕਾਟਿ ਧਰੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਆਗੈ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਆਗੈ ਦੇਉ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੰਤੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਹਜ ਭਾਇ ਜਸੁ ਲੇਉ ੧॥
Masṯak kāt ḏẖarī ṯis āgai ṯan man āgai ḏe▫o. Nānak sanṯ milai sacẖ pā▫ī▫ai sahj bẖā▫e jas le▫o. ||1||
I so offer my head, my body and mind to such. Nanak meeting the pious one gets the truth in such an unperturbed simple gift in rendition

ਕਿਆ ਭਵੀਐ ਸਚਿ ਸੂਚਾ ਹੋਇ ਸਾਚ ਸਬਦ ਬਿਨੁ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੋਇ ੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
Ki▫ā bẖavī▫ai sacẖ sūcẖā ho▫e. Sācẖ sabaḏ bin mukaṯ na ko▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Why so wander, the true is so received in contemplation. There is no salvation absent the true understanding.

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sidh-gosht/38738-si-gosht-sabad-1-16-73-a.html
So much to learn and live by icecreamkaur icecreammunda.

Sat Sri Akal.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: