• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurdwara Contacts In West Yorkshire?

mattinathens

SPNer
Oct 17, 2007
Hi,

Waheguru Jee Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Jee Kee Fateh

Have been on the path of exploring Sikhi for a number of years now and have been lucky enough to have some wonderful dialogue with many Sikhs from all over the world.

I now live in the West Yorkshire area (UK) after many years living abroad. Would somebody be able to recommend a Gurdwara to visit in this area? Am sure there a few but not really sure where to start.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It would not hurt to try mattinathens ji

However, you may discover that no one is at the phone or that a Punjabi speaker is answering the phones.

Give it a try. Or actually go in person when you have a few hours, and if the gurdwara is open strike up a conversation. Importantly you want to get a schedule of all the services, including any adult classes they might have and special events.

Many English Gurdwaras have very informative web sites. Google them by name to see what information you can get.

In my own case, I had to find someone who was a member and who spoke Punjabi to make introductions for me. This is essential if you are a convert. Since most Sikhs are not converts the need for someone to bridge is not something they will be tuned in to. No reason to be for that matter.

Let us/me know what happens. Here on the thread or by private message.

Chaan Pardesi

Writer
SPNer
Oct 4, 2008
London & Kuala Lumpur
Hi Mat...JI! There are many Gurduaras in West Yorkshire as you would know.Bradford/Leeds has a dozen of more Manchester has over half a dozen if I am not wrong, Birkenhead, Warrington, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Bolton , Macclesfield, Blackburn, Preston, and as far North east to York, and many other smaller towns have Gurduaras.It all depends where you live near to.

If you are near to Warrington, and wish to visit the Gurduara there, I would be able to put you into contact with my cousin who is one of the post holders.

It would be helpful if you went on a day there is function as the sanagt would be there and many english speakers would be around to help.

Many of the Gurduaras in the smaller cities and towns apart from Leeds, Manchester and Bradford may be the one day a week Gurduara, only weekly functions or any other specific ocassion that the Sikh congregation gathers on.Though they are opened every day, individuals or a small crowd comes and goes... usually most of the people during these times are poor English speakers so may not be able to help you much.

With best wishes....

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Chaan Pardesi ji

Thank you for offering to make contacts for mattinathens ji. I cannot stress how important it is. Westerners bring a different set of experiences and expectations as newcomers, whether a convert or just changing congregations. There is even at least one funny story to tell on that point.

mattinathens

SPNer
Oct 17, 2007
Thank you both, spnadmin ji and Chaan Pardesi ji.

Am based near Wakefield, W Yorkshire, but go over to Warrington quite regularly so meeting with your cousin might be really good.

Leeds, Bradford and Barnsley are close to where I live as is Sheffield.

Thank you both again. I will keep you posted how I progress :happymunda:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM