• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

(In Punjabi/ਪੰਜਾਬੀ) Gurdas Mann, My Favorites

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Re: Gurdas Mann, my favorites: 1

Ambarsaria ji

He is so incisive without being bombastic. That is very hard to do, particularly in the performing arts. But his approach is so effective. Perhaps he irritates his critics as he does because there is no way to escape his message. Thanks for the videos. They are wonderful and I hope he has more coming soon. :)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
It would be great if someone remembers to upload this video next time I upload a gurpurab thread. Probably the Vaisakhi thread. It would give it pep. Probably I won't remember that far down the road. Hope one of you can remember to remind me. lol

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
'Sarbans daniya ve' is such a powerful song that I find so touching and it always hits me at the right spot.
I love the way the music is produced on this track because if you listen very carefully on a good digital sound system, you can hear the different instruments that come in to lift the whole song as he portrays the story of Guru Teg Bahadur ji and the pandits and when Guru Gobind ji suggest his father should make the sacrifice.
- You may or may not notice this depending if you have an 'ear' for music, but any producer will tell you that it is done with precision on the right notes and bars !

Anyway, I could go on and on about Gurdas Maan because he has been a great inspiration to myself personally, and in person he is a very humble and respectful person.
Some of his classics have to be appreciated for their sufi like influences.
Songs that seem are about love, lovers and ishq, are actually about soul bride and lover god or just a straight praise or message to/from/about God but without any specific naming reference.
For example, the song ''Luti gayee'' is talking about life,soul or consciousness and it's journey through our lifetime.
then there is ''main neeva maira murshad ucha''
and ''allah hoo tumba kainda'', along with ''bol fakira allah hi allah''.
(these are just a few)

and then we have the many ambiguous sufi inspired like
''Kamli yaar di kamli''
''ishq da giddah''
''yaaran di maseet vakhri''
''dama dam mast kalander''
and many others that I can't think of from the top of my head at the moment.

I'm sorry for not posting any videos since I'm not really into the youtube thing and I rarely watch music videos.
I prefer to listen to the actual songs from real studio recordings, and sometimes the videos ruin the whole essence of the song for me.
I think that I prefer to have my own version of video and images playing in my head !!

He truly has made a huge and legendry contribution to punjabi music.
I can only thank these artists that have helped prevent some generations from drifting away from their roots of punjabi and sikhi.
I mean I never knew what punjabi or sikhi was until I was into the music !

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
right.His poetry, his class of singing connects you originally with your tradition and spiritually too
Right he is very humble and respectful person
there have been many less singers who have been able to do
old songs were better as it was his peak time through which he established himself
among the masses
but to me he still hasn't lost the appeal,one of his recent song i liked the most is
"Lakh Pardesi" there are many good things in the song itself which is worth pondering too
and "Ishq di Marri" blend of Sufism in the song which i loved

Ishq Di Maari-Gurdas Maan - YouTube

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
what do you guys think...This Gurdass mann fellow is the FIRST singer to..Begin the Downward Slide of Punjab into NASHA DARYA...the Flooded River of DRUGS and DRINK..by popularising the Song..Mera Punjab Hoveh...GHAR DEE SHERAB HOVEH...His DREAM has come painfully TRUE TODAY..now every home in Punjab has Ghar dee sherab/Ghar de DRUGS..and each Youth old man daughter sister wife..is a DRUG ADDICT...
He is the FORE RUNNER of the LACHAR SONGS that have sunk Punjab culture religion etc into HELL...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I dont hate or dislike GSMann..on the contrary he has sung a lot of good songs..BUT for me personally..ONE MISTAKE is enough...He has never denied or taken back his song Ghar dee sherab hoveh...even as HINDSIGHT looking at the situation of Punjab today...means he doesnt care..unforgivable in my eyes...

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
You make a very good point Gyaniji.
In all honesty, I had overlooked that point completely and never gave it much thought.
But I'll be honest here, the last time I met him, he was too commercial.
It seems that he doesn't sing from his heart any more but more from his wallet.
To do songs just on the basis of their selling and commercial factor was not how this musician started off.

Apna punjab hove, doesn't need the commercial jatt addition of kar di sharaab, since we have plenty of other jatt sharabi songs.
He makes it sound as if the sharab is a necessity for a true punjabi, which is clearly not the case.
Yes the song talks about the relaxed life of the jatt at home sitting on his manja. Then eating his onion, ghee, saag and makhi di roti prepared by his homely mother.
Many punjabis like this relationship tied in with rural village life in punjab, but the home made liquor is too much of the edge.
I mean does the jatt have his kind mother cooking and cleaning for him and feeding him endless rotis with ghee and sagh whilst he sits there on his manja like a nawaab or royal figure drinking and pouring his desi liquor ??
I'm sure that my mother or any mother would love that job of serving the drunken nawaab.

For Gurdas Maan fans out there, you will all know that in his last verse he always sends a message which is usually very meaningful and gurmat sometimes.
However in this song he says
- apne goriyan kolohn haal puchann pind da, marjaney mana kio punjab janda kinda, kadey kisey rahi kolon vaak na janaab hove'-
-I ask my fellow villager about the state of Goriyan (village)
-Oh, why my humble Mann is punjab disintegrating ?
-Never from any ravi or from the ravi(river) should the chenab river be separated.
So here he has gone on to talk about the partition of the river ravi and chenab in pakistan punjab and India.
(But the sober verse has drifted from the message of staying sober)

I think that his 80's music and lyrics were the best and probably untouchable. Even then there was the sharab song 'Vadiya sharibian ve' - which was sang as if the liquor was speaking to the alcoholic.
It was saying that - ''you are the big drunk always finishing and emptying me, BUT I shall keep an account of all the times you have drank and finished me, then one day, tomorrow, I shall drink and finish you.''
Meaning that in the end the liquor will win and stay whilst the alcoholic's lfe will come to an end on account of the liquor.

Anyway, I will finish my little rant by saying-
Vakhiyan diyan galan shadoe, dil saaf hona chahida.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Let us take all of that Gurdas Mann has portrayed and see where we end up net net including taking note of how many in India eat "Roti of Haq ..."/"Righteously earned meals ...",

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eg-Q86D7Y2k?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

I also like throwing stones sometimes but too many bounce back and hit me. I don't know of others and cannot say.

Sat Sri Akal

PS: Name one member of the Legislature or senior officer in Punjab which will follow this song including any Akali Dal (so called the purer voice of the Sikhs).

Unfortunately singers sing what sells and they don't define the qualifications of buyers. All have a role in creating what buyers are demanding. All the way from parents, teachers, leaders, and so on.

Following not Gurdas Mann but I just love it even if it is sexist so art has a place not all need to be about religion or social justice or morality or United Nations approved. Art is an expression no more no less. Some like a specific item while others don't and can be due to all kind of reasons.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RhaFjE6hfyE?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Last edited:

arshdeep88

SPNer
Mar 13, 2013
in my view point
he is a poet and writer
and sometimes poet and writers write and sing whatever is happening in the society
and whatever appeal to the masses for obviously money regarding business
and lets not see him as just the PERFECT person
still his contribution is lot more rather than the ills
there have been innumerous songs of his which have portrayed the bitter reality of life and inspired others to look inside of us
upto us to either take the positives or fall for the negatives
and above all no one is 100% perfect,god has given us the brains to try and not fall for negatives

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM