• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurbani Shabad

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

ਮਾਧਉ ਜਲ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਸ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਅਗਨਿ ਉਠੀ ਅਧਿਕਾਇ ॥੧॥ O Lord, my thirst for the Water of Your Name will not go away.The fire of my thirst burns even more brightly in that Water.

Literal and internet interpretation indicate that Bhagat Kabir is referring to thirst of water but water itself cannot be thirsty and there cannot be fire in the water. Since this pankti is rahao - central idea of the sabd, literal interpretation will only mislead. Thus we must focus and see the message behind this pankti. As per my understanding Bhagat kabir over here is not praying to God but referring as a first person to his mind that fire of desire (ਜਲ) is not diminishing. I have further observed that in gurbani 'jal' does not stand for water. Like ' ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ॥ ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲ ਅਲੇਪ ॥ in the midst of fire of desire all door for realization of spiritual knowledge are closed and over here 'kamal' stands for godly virtues.

I look further understanding of this sabd from learnt members.

best regards
sahni mohinder

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
ਮਾਧਉ ਜਲ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਸ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਅਗਨਿ ਉਠੀ ਅਧਿਕਾਇ ॥੧॥ O Lord, my thirst for the Water of Your Name will not go away.The fire of my thirst burns even more brightly in that Water.

Literal and internet interpretation indicate that Bhagat Kabir is referring to thirst of water but water itself cannot be thirsty and there cannot be fire in the water. Since this pankti is rahao - central idea of the sabd, literal interpretation will only mislead. Thus we must focus and see the message behind this pankti. As per my understanding Bhagat kabir over here is not praying to God but referring as a first person to his mind that fire of desire (ਜਲ) is not diminishing. I have further observed that in gurbani 'jal' does not stand for water. Like ' ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨੀ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਰਲੇਪ ॥ ਜੈਸੇ ਜਲ ਮਹਿ ਕਮਲ ਅਲੇਪ ॥ in the midst of fire of desire all door for realization of spiritual knowledge are closed and over here 'kamal' stands for godly virtues.

I look further understanding of this sabd from learnt members.

best regards
sahni mohinder

From my own personal experience, to me this describes the deep feelings i often get, and am experiencing this very moment writing this email.

this thirst, this burning inside...to be somewhere...wherever that is...of not feeling like i am home, sooo hard to describe this feeling...that one has to use words in the physical realm, and the thirst for water is the most powerful thirst when one has been without water for quite some time...it is life giving...just like amrit is the water for our soul.

So my soul is yearning, it feels like it's crying out...Last nights deep simran provided some relief, but as is often the feeling, the more His presence is felt the stronger this thirst seems to grow, the burning gets stronger...I need to drench myself in His Amrit to quench the thirst, yet the more Amrit, the stronger the thirst....what a wondrous dive into the infinte.

and so the seeeking continues driving one forward :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM