• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Good Yellow Daal Recipe?

Atheist

SPNer
Nov 22, 2009
Dear Everyone,

I am trying to broaden my arguably limited cooking abilities. Does anyone have a good recipe for yellow daal that can be made in a slow cooker? Please keep in mind that I also have limited ingredients. Here are the spices I have access to currently:

Haldi
Cayenne Pepper
Coriander Powder
Mustard Seeds
Fennel Seed
Jeera
Garam Masala Powder
& anything else an American store will have

If anyone has a recipe (doesn't have to be earth shattering - I'm not hard to please when it comes to food) that can be made with those spices in a slow cooker please let me know. Also, if there is a spice that I definitely have to have in addition to those listed, please let me know and I can probably get it.

Thanks!

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
atheist ji

Making dal in a slow cooker might, just might, turn it mushy and pasty and spoil it. Lentils do not have to be soaked before cooking. My guess is that you can get this right with experimentation. Dal consistency - creamy but some lentils are soft but still hold their shape.

I recommend you visit Manjula's kitchen on YouTube and also her home page. Manjula is a Jain, but her recipes are simple and fool-proof.

Here she is making toor dal - yellow dal.

YouTube - Toor Dal by Manjula, Indian Vegetarian Cooking

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Recipe - page finally loaded.

Indian recipes uses several different dals (lentils) witch are more native to India. Toor dal, also known as Arhar, is a popular dish in almost every household.

Below, I describe 2 different chaunk variations, one with added vegetables and another just with ghee (clarified butter).
Serves 2 to 4.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup toor dal
  • 4 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
  • 1 tablespoon fine chopped ginger
  • 1 teaspoon mango powder (amchoor)
  • 1 teaspoon garam masala
Vegetable Chaunk version:

• 2 tablespoons clear butter (ghee)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed (rai)
  • 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch)
  • 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
  • Pinch of asafetida (hing)
  • 1 medium size chopped tomato
  • 1 small zucchini chopped into 1 inch long cubes
  • 6 string beans chopped about 1 inch long
Ghee Chaunk version:

• 2 tablespoons clear butter (ghee)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seed (rai)
  • 2 bay leaves (tajpat)
  • Pinch of asafetida (hing)
  • 4 whole red chili (sabut lal mirch)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
Method:

1. Wash dal, changing water several times until the water appears clear.
  2. Soak dal in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes or longer.
  3. In pressure cooker add dal, water, salt, turmeric and ginger, and cook on medium high heat.
  4. As the pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 7 minutes.
  5. Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker.
  6. Mix dal well so there are no lumps. If dal is thick add more boiling water and make the consistency as you desire.
  7. Mix the mango powder and garam masala with a few spoons of water and add the mixture to the dal.
For vegetable chaunk:

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready. Add hing, cumin seeds, mustard seeds.
  2. After seeds crack add bay leaves and chili powder, stir for few seconds and add the vegetables.
  3. Stir the vegetables and cook for 4 to 5 minutes till the vegetables are tender.
  4. Add vegetable to dal and mix gently.
Ghee chaunk:
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
Add hing, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. After seeds crack stir for few seconds and add bay leaves, whole red chili and paprika.
Stir for a second and add 1 tablespoon of water so mixture does not burn.
Pour th spice mix over dal.
Serve with steamed rice or any Indian bread.

Toor Dal | Manjula's Kitchen | Indian Vegetarian Recipes

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM