• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Going To Gurudwara Very First Time!

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Re: Going to Gurudwara Very First Time

Many thanks!

As I said in an earlier post, I have to be in Glasgow (which is where the Gurdwara is) on Monday, so if I could arrange to speak with someone then just to go over my worries, etc then that would probably help me a lot. I'll make a call and try and sort that. That;s the problem with them not having websites - you can't check for times, or classes, etc.

As I've said before too, I don't want to start going regularly and after three months or the like I'm still the 'wee guy in the corner'! :eek:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

I have checked before for other people. Yes -- that gurdwara does not have a web site. Make sure to find out if they have a schedule posted or available to hand out. Easing into it at an evening service might be the way to go. If you get nervous just think of me and my chuni. You will be fine. You will enjoy it.

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

I'm getting an image now and it's making me smile, so I'll keep that in mind for when I go along!

I'm looking forward to it! You're always nervous first time you do something you've never done before. I'll just keep saying prayers to keep my attention off everyone else lol - mind you that's what I should be doing anyway!!:cool:

Sep 27, 2008
England

SSA,
Tanuki Ji you will be just fine, most of us feel nervous when we do things for the very first time, i remember when i was 13 and i was asked to play the Tabla in the Gurdwara in front of a Sangat of over 200, i was terrified but when i got to play i cannot describe in words how good it felt and the peace i found. I will never forget that day it was probably one of the best experiances of my life as a kid. I wish you the very best.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Ps sorry to hear of your stroke. My grandfather suffered one many years ago.

Yeah, the stroke was definitely physically a big hassle. Still is, for that matter. However, in other ways it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

But that's a subject for another thread, I think.

Tanuki ji, you'll do just fine. Narayanjot ji really knows what she's talking about. At least you won't have to worry about choking yourself on your chunni! (In case you don't know, a chunni is a sort of scarf that women wear.):coolkudi:

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.

Tanuki ji,

Guru Fateh.

You will enjoy this journey of yours as Gurdwara stands for "Portal of learning". If you happen to go to Glasgow, look for Parduman Singh Kohli in the phone book who has been living there for decades. He is from my hometown in Punjab called Ferozepore. He is a family friend and a very hospitable person. He will be a good guide to take you to the Gurdwara. One of his kids is a Policeman and the other one is a famous writer in the UK.

He knows me by the name of Teji Malik.

Please share your experience here with us.

Enjoy your journey.

Tejwant Singh

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Tejwant Singh -

There are four Gurdwaras in Glasgow, so I may not meet that man personally. However, his children you speak of:

Hardeep is the writer. He is also a broadcaster, and you always see him on TV wearing his turban with a kilt. He's famous for wearing flamboyant colours such as a pink turban and kilt combo and the like. The man is hilarious.

I'm not sure who the policeman is, but he has another son, Sanjeev who is an actor here in Scotland. He is in one the best loved sit coms here called 'Still Game' about old men living on Glasgow scheme (housing estate). He plays Naveed, the corner shop owner. Again, like his brother he is a comedy genius!

Thank you all for your kind words. I will keep you posted.

Roop Kaur

SPNer
Mar 4, 2010

Oooo, I just saw this thread now! Going to gurdwara is almost always (minus the few bad experiences some people talk of) a very peaceful experience for anyone, whether or not you understand what is being said :) I hope they have projection screens with interpretations so you can understand ! We have them at our local gurdwara here, and I think it's a genius idea- no excuses to fall asleep cos' you don't 'understand' hehe

God bless you Tanuki Ji, hoping you have a marvellous experience :thumbsuppp:

I'm looking forward to your post - please don't forget to update us! :happykudi:
Roop

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada

Tanuki ji,

You see, your gurdwara visit has become an adventure for all of us! :thumbsupp:

Other Sikhs will be as welcoming as we are, I'm sure.

And Roop Kaur ji is right. The gurdwara is a place of peace.

:ice:

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Guys,

I just called the Gurdwara that I was hoping to go to and the guy who answered only spoke Hindi and Punjabi, so not to be perturbed I called the larger Gurdwara, the one I wasn't really wanting to go to.

I spoke to a really nice gentleman (the kind of person on the phone who just puts you right at ease), and told him my situation re wanting to follow Sikhi and would it be possible to have a chat with someone next week hopefully, as I wanted to attend Gurdwara but was slightly unsure, etc. He has given me the Secretary of the Gurdwara's mobile to give him a call and sort something, which I will do later today. God works in mysterious ways, especially as it's the Gurdwara I didn't want to attend because of its size!

So far so good......I will keep you posted!

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Re: First time

Many thanks for the reply,

From what I have learned thus far of the faith, it definitely appeals to my heart and my head and so I would like to follow Sikhi.

The thing about Gurdwara is, I am a bit nervous that if I continue to go for a few weeks that all I'm going to get is weird stares with people asking who the 'wee guy is in the corner'! What if I go and no-one talks to me? Mind you I suppose these things take time.

Tanuki ji,

As a white convert to Sikhi let me give you some ideas that I found usefull the first time I went to Gurdwara.

Go there with the mindset that you want to learn, and be willing to approach people before they approach, you.

For instance ask where you can store you shoes, do they have any covering for your head, is there someplace I can wash my hands and feet.

Talk to the youth, the male youth if you are male, the female if you are female. By youth I mean those in the late teen years to their early 20's. I have always found them more than helpfull, there are often more likely to speak English as well as Punjabi and are an invaluble asset in translating.

Do attend langar, this is where you get to meet and talk to Sikhs, and Sikhs will come and talk to you in the langar hall.

Ask lots of questions, show your interest and they will be interested in you.

If you find yourself down London way, let me, know I'll be gald to take you to Gurdwara and introduce you to some very nice Sikhs.

Good luck, don't worry, and welcome.

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Re: First time

Tanuki ji,

As a white convert to Sikhi let me give you some ideas that I found usefull the first time I went to Gurdwara.

Go there with the mindset that you want to learn, and be willing to approach people before they approach, you.

For instance ask where you can store you shoes, do they have any covering for your head, is there someplace I can wash my hands and feet.

Talk to the youth, the male youth if you are male, the female if you are female. By youth I mean those in the late teen years to their early 20's. I have always found them more than helpfull, there are often more likely to speak English as well as Punjabi and are an invaluble asset in translating.

Do attend langar, this is where you get to meet and talk to Sikhs, and Sikhs will come and talk to you in the langar hall.

Ask lots of questions, show your interest and they will be interested in you.

If you find yourself down London way, let me, know I'll be gald to take you to Gurdwara and introduce you to some very nice Sikhs.

Good luck, don't worry, and welcome.

Lee, thank you so much for your kind words.

I'm one of these people that hates approaching others, but I know that in this situation I will definitely have to. Especially if I want to begin following Sikhi in all things - I can't be a lone practitioner or make myself seem un-approachable before I've even started. 'No man is an island....' as they say.

Tanuki

SPNer
May 11, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

I'm meeting my friend in Glasgow tomorrow for dinner at 5pm, so before that I'm going to visit the Gurdwara! I haven't planned anything, but figure if I go about 3pm, it shouldn't be too busy and it'll give me a feel for the place before I go next Sunday.

I've been reading the SGGS a lot more recently and know that this is the path for me!

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Nov 27, 2010

SSA ji
Speaking from personal experience, going to Gurdwara for the first time (and even second time) can be a bit nerve wracking. The first I went was for Anand Karaj and learned that wearing pants that were even slightly tight will make your legs fall asleep and make you have to keep shifting around, so wear something thats comfortable and is not too casual! The second time I went to evening Ardaas during Diwali and came in late with some friends and ended up accidentally halfway sitting on an uncleji because it was so crowded! (I was able to move later on) So be on time and you wont make yourself feel uncomfortable! Also, IMO going to a larger Gurdwara may be more beneficial as there is a larger variety of people there who you might converse with. The Gurdwara where I live is very small, the crowded Darbar hall for Diwali was filled with maybe forty people!
That's my two cents
:happykudi:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM